US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It's a fair point Satch, but I agree with Jimmy's assessment. Gaffigan sounded more like he was complaining than he did joking.

And I say that with the full realization that I might be hearing what I want to hear, but that was my impression.

Well, you guys are entitled to your opinion.   I hear nothing about Church and State in that joke, neither for or against.  I hear no complaints, just a passing reference to the  fact Harris was not in the room.

I did hear a joke about Trump's past and Catholic morals.  I didn't say it was a funny joke.  I just don't think there is anything there worth fussing over.  Of course, that's just my opinion.

22 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I'm gonna take a guess and say you think it could be true.

The last election was the most investigated, reviewed, and recounted election in US history.  Nothing was found that would have effected the outcome.

I've heard that the Republicans have mounds of evidence pointing to widespread fraud.  I've been waiting for years but I have not seen it yet.

Yep, they liked to yell that on social media and in the news. But everytime they got to court and had to present it under oath, they actually had nothing.

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Fox denies that they wrote some jokes for Bone Spurs at the Al Smith dinner.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/other/fox-news-says-none-of-its-employees-wrote-jokes-for-trump-to-tell-at-traditional-campaign-dinner/ar-AA1swozZ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9601d186f3494399c2677d4bf1e081b4&ei=32

Fox News Channel on Friday denied Donald Trump's assertion that any of its employees wrote jokes for him to deliver this week at a New York appearance.

The former president and current candidate said on “Fox & Friends” that “a couple of people from Fox” helped him prepare jokes for Thursday's Al Smith dinner, a traditional event in the last weeks of a presidential campaigns where candidates usually appear.

I shouldn't say that,” Trump said. “But they wrote some jokes. For the most part, I didn't like any of them.”

Candidates often turn to professional comedians for material when needed for such appearances; it would be eye-opening and ethically suspect if a news organization contributed.

But Fox, in a statement, said none of its employees or freelancers did so. Instead, Trump is believed to have received material from a comic who occasionally tries to sell jokes to the Fox show “Gutfeld.”

We know that one of them is not telling the truth, but they're both proven liars, so who to believe?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cranston said:

There were plenty of claims and the apparently when pressured they all backed down. Who'd have Known.

I do not expect to see a headline like "UFO Falsely Reported over Phoenix". It's dumb.

She didn't say that. It is Fake News.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/20/politics/video/judge-judy-trump-civil-fraud-case-manhattan-da-wallace-wtcw-digvid

So I guess this IS a hill you want to die on. 

A long slow death.

But why didn't you answer my post when I asked you basically ........SO WHAT?

Is it 'distasteful'?  Is it unacceptable in the dog and cat worshipping western world?  Even if it was stray cats as one of your videos claimed?  Sure, I'll grant you that. Even stray cats are romanticized in the west. 

What I'm saying is even IF you found actual video or photographic evidence to post.  Of a few rare occurrences of this happening.  Why would you, or your cult leader, use that as some kind of reason or excuse to deport million's of migrants?  I showed you instances of white people doing it, proof of it, and convictions.  If one or two legal Springfield migrants doing it is such a crime against nature that the only solution is to deport millions of fellow migrants that only want to obey the law and find citizenship, maybe those evil pet killing monsters of white origin should have themselves and all their extended families deported to the original country they came from at the very least, right?

These legal migrants helped jumpstart Springfields economy. Trump has said he'd depart all of them.  What happens to that town if you just rip out this engine?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/sep/14/neo-nazis-springfield-ohio-haitian-immigrants

Haitian immigrants helped revive a struggling Ohio town. Then neo-Nazis turned up

You do know that even undocumented migrants commit way less crime than US born citizens right?  Like, you know, REAL crimes like theft, murder, rape etc.  Why are you spending days on  your little hill defending a few poor stray cats in Springfield?

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/undocumented-immigrant-offending-rate-lower-us-born-citizen-rate

An NIJ-funded study examining data from the Texas Department of Public Safety estimated the rate at which undocumented immigrants are arrested for committing crimes. The study found that undocumented immigrants are arrested at less than half the rate of native-born U.S. citizens for violent and drug crimes and a quarter the rate of native-born citizens for property crime

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yep, they liked to yell that on social media and in the news. But everytime they got to court and had to present it under oath, they actually had nothing.

I believe they have a concept of evidence.....

• Haha 3

Bottom line. You jump into your car. You start driving in the left hand side of the road onto incoming traffic. If someone on the one side of the political fence tells you that's fine, do you listen to them? Or do you listen to the person saying, you're driving into oncoming traffic, get back on the right side of the road? (You are in Canada or the US, or continental Europe).

Seems a lot of people don't listen to facts, they listen to what they are being told to. You can't take the above example and say, well I'm on the right side of oncoming traffic, as a spin. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Well, you guys are entitled to your opinion.   I hear nothing about Church and State in that joke, neither for or against.  I hear no complaints, just a passing reference to the  fact Harris was not in the room.

I did hear a joke about Trump's past and Catholic morals.  I didn't say it was a funny joke.  I just don't think there is anything there worth fussing over.  Of course, that's just my opinion.

To be clear, I wasn't commenting on the church and state thing....only that I thought Gaffigan was complaining, rather than joking.

• Cheers 1

I mean....we knew this already....but now it's official:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/top-fact-checker-finally-reveals-which-party-lies-more-democrats-or-republicans/ar-AA1suDmL?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=583b5c5dea614852cc56152521d61f5c&ei=14

The creator of a top political fact-checking website has finally revealed which party lies more: Democrats or Republicans.

Bill Adair, who started the Pulitzer Prize-winning website PolitiFact, admitted that – despite his claims over the years – he was, in fact, keeping tabs and found the GOP to be the most liberal with the truth.

In 2012, Adair was asked which party lies more by a caller on C-SPAN’s Washington Journal and claimed he “didn’t keep score.”

The former Washington Bureau Chief for the Tampa Bay Times has since left the nonprofit fact-checking company and so said he can now “talk freely” about who is more deceitful.

Appearing on Washington Journal 12 years later, as part of a media blitz to promote his new book Beyond the Big Lie, the fact checker admitted he “was lying” in 2012 to show his company was “truly nonpartisan.”

By PolitiFact’s tally, the Republican party was actually lying “far more” than the Democrats – and since then, Adair, has found the disparity between the parties has only grown.

Between 2016 to 2021, Republicans lied 55 percent of the time, compared to Democrats 31 percent of the time, according to Adair’s company’s investigations of politicians’ statements.

“I think we need to talk about it because the fact that there are so many lies coming from the Republicans, it’s really affecting our discourse,” he said on Thursday.

• Vintage 1

For me, I am sick and tired of the Right Wing BS, thrown around on here.................

Right wingers give no value to decency, and democracy

It is the almighty buck they worship............and that's it!

If they claim that they do, they are lying! Plain and simple!

• Cheers 1

Just now, JIAHN said:

For me, I am sick and tired of the Right Wing BS, thrown around on here.................

The American “right” has had their party hijacked by extremists in fairness to them.

• ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

and we have Skippy desperately wanting to bring this shit up here, SMH. 

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene Pushes Claim Dominion Machines Are ‘Switching’ Votes to Democrats in Wild Alex Jones Interview

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-shares-claim-dominion-machines-are-switching-votes-to-democrats-in-wild-alex-jones-interview/

Once again it all starts with ' One of my constituents told me..'

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I was raised as a Catholic but as soon as I started developing critical thinking skills, I dropped off their radar. I’m disgusted by the Catholic’s acceptance of Trump, as well. 

Not surprised to see the Cardinal sucking up to Trump, given the significant incidence of pedophilia amongst the men of the cloth. Birds of a feather flock together.

Don’t even get me started about the Pope and his lack of support for Ukraine!

I see cold fish Melania is at Trump’s side. Smile Melania, you’re richer than you think. If I recall, she gets paid something like $130,000 per “appearance “. Not Stormy money, but still not bad for a night of stale buns and bad jokes.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If they increased the advanced voting period it would give voters plenty of time to plan their votes around vacations. If its just the ones who are vacationing for months at a time during the election that happens once every 4 years, then maybe say tough luck in an effort to get voter physically back at the polls. 

So you also support stopping taxing Americans working overseas, right?  Otherwise, you're proposing taxation without representation.

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene Pushes Claim Dominion Machines Are ‘Switching’ Votes to Democrats in Wild Alex Jones Interview

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-shares-claim-dominion-machines-are-switching-votes-to-democrats-in-wild-alex-jones-interview/

These types of lies only costed Fox News 787 million dollars.  No big deal… lol!

• ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump overcharged Secret Service 300% for staying at his D.C. hotel: report

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-hotel-dc-2669439699/

This isn't a secret.  It was reported on and people knew what he was doing when he was still president.  It's one of the many annoyances that caused people to go out en masse and vote for Joe Biden. 

He also used the hotel for foreign diplomats.  They would use his hotel and pay whatever the hotel charged them in order to gain his favour.  There was even a short investigation into it if I remember correctly.  I believe the conclusion was that even though it gave the appearance of conflict of interest, it wasn't technically illegal.  I was surprised back then and thought there was a chance that he would be forced to divest himself of the hotel.

If memory serves, he sold it shortly after he left the Oval Office.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Once again it all starts with ' One of my constituents told me..'

Well, you know who is going to glom onto this and shit post for the next week about how it must be true because she thinks it’s true. :frantic:

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

15 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

These types of lies only costed Fox News 787 million dollars.  No big deal… lol!

I wonder if they can sue her or if she's covered under political speech laws. 

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Politicians can say whatever they want to so they'd have to prove slander.   If she keeps it up they probably could.

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Obama had to fix the mess that occurred at the end of Ws administration.   The result of deregulation pushed by the QOP and signed by a scandal weakened Clinton. 

Biden had to deal with the botched Covid-19 response by TRUMP and the absolute train wreck that is the QOP controlled House.  

So while a Democrat was in the Whitehouse for 12 years, most of that time has been dealing with dumpster fires started by the incompetent, tinfoil hat conspiracy peddling QOP.

Context matters

It's basically the texas meme where republican attack ads blame democrats for virtually every issue while ironically having complete control of every elected office in the state since 1994. In the mind of a simpleton they are the equal, and thus both sides. 

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Apparently, Leon Muskovite also got in on the action at a Pennsylvania town hall.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/elon-musk-and-marjorie-taylor-greene-risk-dominion-s-wrath-with-revived-conspiracy-theories/ar-AA1swANq?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=bc47a79360ed4a0d9a2d47a1dc5c0743&ei=15

If I was Dominion, he's the one I'd go after.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
  • chaos 1