US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I wonder if the last line of the NYT quotes below explain McDonald's stance?

Ms. Harris’s stint at McDonald’s may be one of the few blue-collar jobs she has held, according to a copy of her résumé from 1987 when she applied for a summer position at the Alameda County district attorney’s office. Her other work experience listed on that document includes an internship with former Senator Alan Cranston of California, a student assistant position in the public affairs office at the Federal Trade Commission and a summer clerkship at a San Francisco law firm.

The résumé does not mention her time at McDonald’s — a fact that The Washington Free Beacon, a conservative news outlet, used to suggest that she had never worked there, and which seems to have propelled Mr. Trump’s claim that she made up the job. The summer of 1983 is not listed on the résumé at all. It is also unclear, of course, why Ms. Harris would have included a fast-food job on an application for a legal position.

The first time Ms. Harris appears to have prominently brought up her summer job was during her first presidential campaign in 2019, as she joined striking McDonald’s workers on a Las Vegas picket line calling for a $15 minimum wage.

“If we want to talk about those golden arches being a symbol of the best of America, well, the arches are falling short,” Ms. Harris said back then.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/20/us/politics/kamala-harris-mcdonalds-work-trump.html

Lots of people had jobs as kids at McDonalds. I believe her. She’s not a liar, like her opponent. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Politifact says otherwise.

McDonald’s “said they have no record whatsoever of Kamala Harris ever working at any of their locations.”

Answer:   No, McDonald’s didn’t say there’s ‘no record’ Kamala Harris worked at the fast food chain.

This is an individual franchise from 40 years ago.  She only worked some weeks in the Summer.  Isn't it more likely that its just gone because it wasn't that important? This was before the internet.  Personal computers were just being introduced. So it was probably mostly done on paper stored in filing cabinets.  More importantly, why lie about that?  Its not out of the question, as it would be for a privileged young Donny, for someone in the position of Kamala to have a Summer job like that. Just seems more plausible she did work there, than she didn't.  I also believe her more than the one who has a long record of serial lying.

Yep.  I caught myself and already apologized brother.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'll have to take your word for it.  I have no idea how McDonald's keeps their records.

I know, after 7 years lapses, I'm going to pay someone to incinerate all of my family's old employee records.  

No need to keep them any longer than legally necessary.

Having actually worked in administration for a private company I can attest not all records are kept multiple decades back (unless they were required to support some kind of tax credit/something similar).  Some employee records might be kept for a lengthy period of time though (but mainly for higher ranking employees like managers).

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

They both get caught lying sadly.  Trump just lies waaaaaaay more.

Dotard is like Corey Perry in his prime.  Commit all kinds of little fouls all over the ice knowing the refs won't call them call (especially since he was a star player in his prime).  The times they don't give him a penalty gave him that extra added advantage 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Having actually worked in administration for a private company I can attest not all records are kept multiple decades back (unless they were required to support some kind of tax credit/something similar).  Some employee records might be kept for a lengthy period of time though (but mainly for higher ranking employees like managers).

The only records I'm keeping from our old business is our winning bid proposals and payouts.

The proposals are all on thumb drives so I'll keep those as long as my father is alive and kicking.

The employee records, that are entirely on hard copy, can only bite us/him in the butt for 7 years.  After 7 years, I'll pay to have them incinerated and hold on to the receipt for another 7-10 years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

A notice from Derek Giacomantonio to the Feasterville community about closing the McDonald's store until 4pm due to a visit by former president and GOP candidate, Donald J. Trump on Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024. Trump worked the fryer and drive-thru window during a brief stop in Bucks County in swing state Pennsylvania.

A notice from Derek Giacomantonio to the Feasterville community about closing the McDonald's store until 4pm due to a visit by former president and GOP candidate, Donald J. Trump on Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024. Trump worked the fryer and drive-thru window during a brief stop in Bucks County in swing state Pennsylvania.

If I was going to cosplay I’d probably go with a character from Deadpool or Star Wars but whatever floats his boat. I was more impressed with the rehearsal for using the drive-thru to be honest.

IMG_1918.jpeg

Edited by 4petesake

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The only records I'm keeping from our old business is our winning bid proposals and payouts.

The proposals are all on thumb drives so I'll keep those as long as my father is alive and kicking.

The employee records, that are entirely on hard copy, can only bite us/him in the butt for 7 years.  After 7 years, I'll pay to have them incinerated and hold on to the receipt for another 7-10 years.

Yeah I think the company head accountant still always got the go ahead from their old accounting firm that audited the books to incinerate old records before doing that.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

If I was going to cosplay I’d probably go with a character from Deadpool or Star Wars but whatever floats his boat. I was more impressed with the rehearsal for using the drive-thru to be honest.

IMG_1918.jpeg

That lady wouldn't last a day as deckhand on the ferries.

Only a complete moron stands in front of a car, and motions it towards them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Nothing like closing down a McDonald's and having a photo op to act like you're working so that workers relate to the born with a silver spoon, billionaire 80 year old with make-up on. 

It was a political stunt done solely to mock Kamala. 

The drive thru was kept open, but it looks like all they let him do was stick some fries in oil and then bag a few.  I doubt he did more than one or two vehicles.  Last thing they need is someone pulling back into line and flipping out over their order being wrong... lol

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

IMG_1918.jpeg

I'd like to know what moron doesn't know how to use a drive thru and needs help.

Were they wearing red hats by any chance?

• Haha 2