US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

John Kelly Goes On The Record To Confirm Trump Once Told Him He Wished He Acted Like One Of ‘Hitler’s Generals’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/john-kelly-goes-on-the-record-to-confirm-trump-once-told-him-he-wished-he-acted-like-one-of-hitlers-generals/

Hitler’s generals, al least some of them, were trying to kill Hitler and came very close to actually did it.

But Trump has no idea

Take it FWIW. but this morning on the radio, I heard Jimmy Hollywood say that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is going to publicly endorse Donald Trump for POTUS....

I guess the MAGAts feel like they need someone high profile to counter the Taylor Swift endorsement of Kamala....

Edited by RupertKBD

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I know Freeland isn't all that popular on these boards, but I've been a fan ever since she bitch slapped Robert Lighthizer and Jared in the new NAFTA agreement.

Worth noting that the Cons were criticizing her for not capitulating at the time....

The lack of recognition of how good a job she's done on trade is a bit sad. 

And it is definitely worth looking back on the CPC wanting Canada to fold early in the negotiation. I guess those meetings Harper had on his own had a purpose.

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I know Freeland isn't all that popular on these boards, but I've been a fan ever since she bitch slapped Robert Lighthizer and Jared in the new NAFTA agreement.

Worth noting that the Cons were criticizing her for not capitulating at the time....

Also was a big player in getting Russia cut off from SWIFT and cracked down on the terrorist occupation of Ottawa.  She's done very well.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Take it FWIW. but this morning on the radio, I heard Jimmy Hollywood say that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is going to publicly endorse Donald Trump for POTUS....

I guess the MAGAts feel like they need someone high profile to counter the Taylor Swift endorsement of Kamala....

Oh the pretend fighter that did a movie so he can pretend that he fights? The guy that does so many steriods that Joe Rogan slammed him?

The guy that forced his crap shoes on the UFC roster that gave fighters less money than the terrible Reebok deal?

The guy that wanted to be part of the show and hand out the BFM belt but got completely ignored by what he wishes so hard he was?....real fighters

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

It's pretty good. And accurate.

I'm just pointing out that she is doing what PP does, at the very moment that she is pointing out what PP does. 😄

Which is pretty funny, but I'm not big on name calling. It's why i liked Singh sticking up for himself.

Canada vs.USA

Contrary to Rupert's positive twist on Freeland's NAFTA 2 dealings with the USA I am not as sure. Trump signed a deal with Mexico and then told Canada to sign as well or walk away from the exisitng agreement. Freeland had no option but to agree. Was this unusal American dealing? Trump was more crude about it but not that different from previous American POTUS. Even now Harris is using NAFTA as a campaign tool in the rust belt states. 

Trump used steel and aluminum tariffs against Canada. Biden brought in America first legislation to prevent Canadian exports. Biden cancelled Keystone XL to prevent increased Canadian energy access to the USA. IMHO this is a NAFTA contravention. Softwood lumber tariffs against BC now stand at $1.9 billion being held by the Americans. There has been some suggestion by USA markets that the GOP could sweep both Houses and the POTUS. If that were to happen it would be devestating to Canada. Trump doesn't like Trudeau and will likely take pleasure in squeezing Canadian trade. That said if Harris is successful I expect a more polite but no less friendly treatment. 

What is the basis for ongoing free trade between Canada and the USA? IMHO NAFTA grew from the AutoPact agreements of the '50's. It was to ensure Canadian parts access to the USA in exchange for preferred American auto access to the Canadian market. What has changed? My argument is that the USA does not have to worry about access to Canada as much. Any threat they might levy has to be met by Canadian acquiecence. Canada cannot withstand a protracted trade dispute with the USA and they know that. 

Canada requires a very strategic reassessment of trade relations. It is a scary concept for many Canadians as they fear disruption and a likely lower standard of living. IMHO energy export has to be the keystone of any such change. It is the largest trade sector that can generate foreign sales. It could cushion much of the disruption. Canada should enact much stronger restrctions on M&A that transfers Canadian companies and technolgy to foreign countries. Over $100 billion per year of investment capital leaves Canada per year. 

As much as we fear Russian-Chinese-Iranian interference inside Canada it exists with America as well. It is more benign and has evolved over 100's of years. It serves the USA well as they can access the best that Canada has to offer.     

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canada vs.USA

Contrary to Rupert's positive twist on Freeland's NAFTA 2 dealings with the USA I am not as sure. Trump signed a deal with Mexico and then told Canada to sign as well or walk away from the exisitng agreement. Freeland had no option but to agree. Was this unusal American dealing? Trump was more crude about it but not that different from previous American POTUS. Even now Harris is using NAFTA as a campaign tool in the rust belt states. 

Trump used steel and aluminum tariffs against Canada. Biden brought in America first legislation to prevent Canadian exports. Biden cancelled Keystone XL to prevent increased Canadian energy access to the USA. IMHO this is a NAFTA contravention. Softwood lumber tariffs against BC now stand at $1.9 billion being held by the Americans. There has been some suggestion by USA markets that the GOP could sweep both Houses and the POTUS. If that were to happen it would be devestating to Canada. Trump doesn't like Trudeau and will likely take pleasure in squeezing Canadian trade. That said if Harris is successful I expect a more polite but no less friendly treatment. 

What is the basis for ongoing free trade between Canada and the USA? IMHO NAFTA grew from the AutoPact agreements of the '50's. It was to ensure Canadian parts access to the USA in exchange for preferred American auto access to the Canadian market. What has changed? My argument is that the USA does not have to worry about access to Canada as much. Any threat they might levy has to be met by Canadian acquiecence. Canada cannot withstand a protracted trade dispute with the USA and they know that. 

Canada requires a very strategic reassessment of trade relations. It is a scary concept for many Canadians as they fear disruption and a likely lower standard of living. IMHO energy export has to be the keystone of any such change. It is the largest trade sector that can generate foreign sales. It could cushion much of the disruption. Canada should enact much stronger restrctions on M&A that transfers Canadian companies and technolgy to foreign countries. Over $100 billion per year of investment capital leaves Canada per year. 

As much as we fear Russian-Chinese-Iranian interference inside Canada it exists with America as well. It is more benign and has evolved over 100's of years. It serves the USA well as they can access the best that Canada has to offer.     

https://macleans.ca/news/canada/how-nafta-was-saved-the-bitter-fight-and-last-minute-recovery/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm just pointing out that she is doing what PP does, at the very moment that she is pointing out what PP does. 😄

Difference is she's actually right 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Which is pretty funny, but I'm not big on name calling. It's why i liked Singh sticking up for himself.

Effective satire is really powerful though, when it's based in truth.

I wouldn't say its the same thing as what Skippy is doing. Eg pp is just flat out lying about the carbon tax. 

Making a humorous comp with maga makes you think, how close is it?

I agree jag should have stood up for himself, but it was also schoolyard in its way too.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Difference is she's actually right 

Effective satire is really powerful though, when it's based in truth.

I wouldn't say its the same thing as what Skippy is doing. Eg pp is just flat out lying about the carbon tax. 

Making a humorous comp with maga makes you think, how close is it?

I agree jag should have stood up for himself, but it was also schoolyard in its way too.

Maybe they are all playground level.

I should rephrase that I dont mind teasing...as I have often praised 'spitting image' but that is more the public mocking all politicians.

Politician to politician though, If you run your mouth, you might have to answer. Freeland ( who I like) just did the same as PP. 

I dont see how Jag was school yard though. He didnt yell anything, didnt start it, he did confront the man but he never threatened him. He called him a coward, which he was and let it go.

Maybe because jag is a big man,  it is seen as schoolyard to some, but if a small person did and said the same thing, with the same energy... I dont think they would be seen as unhinged or aggressive, i think they would have just been praised for sticking up for themselves. I'm alway impressed that people that were bullied as children can find that strength

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe they are all playground level.

I should rephrase that I dont mind teasing...as I have often praised 'spitting image' but that is more the public mocking all politicians.

Politician to politician though, If you run your mouth, you might have to answer. Freeland ( who I like) just did the same as PP. 

I dont see how Jag was school yard though. He didnt yell anything, didnt start it, he did confront the man but he never threatened him. He called him a coward, which he was and let it go.

Maybe because jag is a big man,  it is seen as schoolyard to some, but if a small person did and said the same thing, with the same energy... I dont think they would be seen as unhinged or aggressive, i think they would have just been praised for sticking up for themselves. I'm alway impressed that people that were bullied as children can find that strength

Its "I'm here bro" comment in the house I'm referring to.

I'm glad Jag did what he did, both times.

QP has always been theatre.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Hitler’s generals, al least some of them, were trying to kill Hitler and came very close to actually did it.

But Trump has no idea

Hitler's generals generally disappointed him. The ones that didn't betrayed him. By the end of the war, almost all of them were dead or fired.

Hitler generally got pissed off at them because they didn't listen to his crazy ideas until they towed the line and implemented his bad ideas. Maybe that's what he wants.

Yes men.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, kingoftheriffraff said:

Hitler's generals generally disappointed him. The ones that didn't betrayed him. By the end of the war, almost all of them were dead or fired.

Hitler generally got pissed off at them because they didn't listen to his crazy ideas until they towed the line and implemented his bad ideas. Maybe that's what he wants.

Yes men.

Maybe? Certainly.

He also wants a disposable lineup of them. Which he always seems to attract, it's bizarre how many people will immolate their lives and careers for him.

• Vintage 1