US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Day trader maga dumb dumbs must be a godsend for people to make money on.

I think I'm gonna give my BMO Harris guy a call...

I was thinking about buying it when it was like $13. Would have almost tripled my money. I’m thinking there are many people who are betting that Trump wins the election and think this stock will go back to $70. 

45 minutes ago, kilgore said:

https://www.investors.com/research/donald-trump-stock-buy-now-trump-media-technology-group-tmtg-stock-dwac-stock-spac/

Right now, buying Trump Media stock is more akin to gambling than investing. The firm has been losing money in recent quarters. The fact that Elon Musk is a competitor makes the road ahead for Truth Social even more challenging. And with the post-SPAC lockup period expiring it could add further downward pressure on shares.

They are gambling that Trump wins the election. If he loses the stock will go to zero. If he wins it could go back up to $70+. I’ve also heard rumours that Elon Musk will purchase Truth Social and amalgamate it with X. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I was warned when I called for Trudeau to go to prison. Calling for the execution of Trump and Musk is on another level. 

Sure. I find it a bit much too but not hate speech 😄 

I still think Musk is a net positive. I would smile if Trump finally keeled over though...won't lie. 

• Huggy Bear 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was thinking about buying it when it was like $13. Would have almost tripled my money. I’m thinking there are many people who are betting that Trump wins the election and think this stock will go back to $70. 

I'm sure that there are. I've never been this much of a speculative investor, I like the old rules that work.

was trump licking all those McD's burgers before passing them out the window?

What we know about the McDonald’s E. coli outbreak investigation

CNN — 

An E. coli outbreak linked to McDonald’s Quarter Pounders has led to at least 49 illnesses across 10 states, including one death.

Here’s what we know.

Quarter Pounders made people sick

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a food safety alert Tuesday warning that dozens of people reported eating the Quarter Pounder sandwich at McDonald’s before becoming sick.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/23/health/mcdonalds-e-coli-quarter-pounder-investigation/index.html

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They are gambling that Trump wins the election. If he loses the stock will go to zero. If he wins it could go back up to $70+. I’ve also heard rumours that Elon Musk will purchase Truth Social and amalgamate it with X. 

He's going to win, isn't he?

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He's going to win, isn't he?

l think it’s possible but then so is a blue wave.

“Red Wave” Redux: Are GOP Polls Rigging the Averages in Trump’s Favor?

Polling by right-leaning firms has exploded this cycle. Maybe they want to be accurate—or maybe they’re trying to create a sense of momentum for Donald Trump.

Last month, a GOP-friendly polling firm presented itself, and its data, in a highly unusual way. Rather than maintain a nominally neutral public-facing profile, this pollster acted more like a cavalry brigade for Donald Trump’s campaign. And the firm did so explicitly, openly, and proudly. 

It all went down in mid-September, at a time when the FiveThirtyEight polling averages showed the slightest of leads for Kamala Harris in North Carolina, a must-win state for Trump. Her edge was short-lived: The averages moved back to favoring Trump. And Quantus Insights, a GOP-friendly polling firm, took credit for this development. When a MAGA influencer celebrated the pro-Trump shift on X (formerly Twitter), Quantus’s account responded: “You’re welcome.” 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

l think it’s possible but then so is a blue wave.

“Red Wave” Redux: Are GOP Polls Rigging the Averages in Trump’s Favor?

Polling by right-leaning firms has exploded this cycle. Maybe they want to be accurate—or maybe they’re trying to create a sense of momentum for Donald Trump.

Last month, a GOP-friendly polling firm presented itself, and its data, in a highly unusual way. Rather than maintain a nominally neutral public-facing profile, this pollster acted more like a cavalry brigade for Donald Trump’s campaign. And the firm did so explicitly, openly, and proudly. 

It all went down in mid-September, at a time when the FiveThirtyEight polling averages showed the slightest of leads for Kamala Harris in North Carolina, a must-win state for Trump. Her edge was short-lived: The averages moved back to favoring Trump. And Quantus Insights, a GOP-friendly polling firm, took credit for this development. When a MAGA influencer celebrated the pro-Trump shift on X (formerly Twitter), Quantus’s account responded: “You’re welcome.” 

Interesting.

They should be careful though, fudge his numbers up too much and maybe his voters will think he has it in the bag and not bother...

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Interesting.

They should be careful though, fudge his numbers up too much and maybe his voters will think he has it in the bag and not bother...

I saw a Wisconsin Republican on Sunday's episode of 60 Minutes say there are a lot of right leaning people who just never vote. I can't remember if he was only talking about Wisconsin or the entire nation.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Interesting.

I should have included this link if you want to read into the issue a little deeper.

https://newrepublic.com/article/187425/gop-polls-rigging-averages-trump

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. This is 2016 all over again. 

You know how I feel about Kamala. They would have been better off just going with Joe. 

Some people might never recover if it actually happens. 

i disagree that they would have been better with Joe.

I am impressed with Kamala. I thought very little of her before, but I think given this shotgun into the spotlight she looks pretty good. Joe was worrying all dems.

There is a reason you like the Dana Carvey impression of Biden, he nails it.... 

You should check out the link 4pete posted, it tells the story of how bad polls are these days.

That all said, it looks like the US might want to descend further into chaos and become the isolationists that they tried before. Trumps bedside reading material stuff.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. This is 2016 all over again. 

You know how I feel about Kamala. They would have been better off just going with Joe. 

Some people might never recover if it actually happens. 

Trump is an awful human. Genuine sack of shit.

Look at what John Kelly has alerted the world to about Trump, and no one seems to care on the GOP side. 

• ThereItIs 2

21 minutes ago, Cranston said:

I came across this guy that happens to make the same statement as me.

This random guy walking by seems well rehearsed. He shouldn't cross his arms when lecturing though, it's a sign of insecurity.

Not a plant at all. 

And Trump is racist. He also doesnt have the most Cameos, maybe for a politician? He IS also on Putins pecker....wait and does this guy know Biden is not running for office?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

i disagree that they would have been better with Joe.

I am impressed with Kamala. I thought very little of her before, but I think given this shotgun into the spotlight she looks pretty good. Joe was worrying all dems.

There is a reason you like the Dana Carvey impression of Biden, he nails it.... 

You should check out the link 4pete posted, it tells the story of how bad polls are these days.

That all said, it looks like the US might want to descend further into chaos and become the isolationists that they tried before. Trumps bedside reading material stuff.

Nobody said a peep about Joe until after the debate. Prior to the debate every single person including you were totally cool with Joe running for a second term. People even said he was mentally stable and better than Trump. 

After the debate CNN and everyone else turned on Joe. They threw him away like yesterday’s garbage. They brought in Kamala. Who was going to be the saviour. The same Kamala who couldn’t get a single vote in the primaries, the same Kamala who was polling at 1% trying to win the Democratic nomination. Now, all of a sudden, she’s the second coming of Margaret Thatcher. 

What the Democrats should have done was tell Joe to not run for a second term a year ago when everyone knew he had dementia. Then they could have done a proper primary and had the people vote for the next Democratic nominee instead of the establishment installing their choice. 

It’s too late now. They are stuck with Kamala. You think she’s doing well. But the polls tell a different story. Joe was like 11 points ahead of Trump in October 2020. Even Hillary was 6 points ahead in October 2016. Kamala at best is 2-3 points ahead in left leaning polls. And she’s behind in right leaning polls. The people who are actually betting on the election with real money have Trump way ahead. His truth social stock is going through the roof for some strange reason right before the election. 

Everything right now is pointing to a Trump victory. I could be wrong though. Let’s see what happens.