US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

26 minutes ago, Gator said:

9) can't seem to find data for 2023/24 but seems to be slight increase in violent crimes after Trump was gone from what I could tell.

Let me help you with that:

https://www.factcheck.org/2024/10/crime-stats-still-show-a-decline-since-2020/

Crime statistics compiled by the FBI and other sources show an increase in violent crime, notably murders, in 2020 and a decline since. A revision to the FBI data this year doesn’t change that overall trend, despite claims made on social media and by the Trump campaign to the contrary.

Local law enforcement agencies voluntarily report crime data to the FBI, which compiles the figures in annual reports on crime nationwide, with some estimation done when agencies don’t report figures for a full year, or at all. The annual figures for 2023, released last month, show a decline in violent crime since 2020 — the last year of former President Donald Trump’s administration.

In 2020, the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, there was a spike in violent crime overall, due to increases in murders and aggravated assaults. Experts have said that the pandemic, and its economic repercussions, was one factor behind the increase. Violent crime has eased back down since then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cranston said:

See there it is, wishing that was said. How about criticizing the actual post. Definitely not the same though.

Not providing Kamala's full interview or transcript is by far the main issue. Did they ever provide it or at least the transcript? Surely they must have or you'd never be jumping in on this.

29 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

OK just in case I missed it can you show me where I can see the full hour long unedited version from Fox, or the transcript for that matter. Thanks in advance.

Ask the Dems who are criticizing it. I haven't watched it nor do I plan to. They all seem to be able to find it.

29 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

A spokesperson for Fox News said, “Every one of Fox & Friendsbarbershop segments are pre-taped and edited. The Bronx edition ran for nearly an hour and was cut for time and clarity.”

Isn’t this what CBS said about the 60 Minutes episode?

Maybe, who cares? Read the post you replied to (above) with particular attention to the bolded. Now that's a video (transcript) I would never watch.

2 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Ask the Dems who are criticizing it. I haven't watched it nor do I plan to. They all seem to be able to find it.

Maybe, who cares? Read the post you replied to (above) with particular attention to the bolded. Now that's a video (transcript) I would never watch.

It seems we all should only care about what you care about and we should not care about what you don't care about.  Got it.

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

@Smashian Kassian I think @kilgore addressed that dodging debates statement succintly.

In other news, this explains Elon's recent behavior...I remember the incident where Elon used Starlink to deny a Ukrainian attack on a Russian Naval base in Crimea fearing 'escalation'. Time to review and remove this guy's security clearance and government contracts.

image.png.f808d4af3ef4b74a2e252eb110572fae.png

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/oct/25/elon-musk-has-been-in-regular-contact-with-putin-for-two-years-say-reports

Elon Musk, the world’s richest man who is now central to Donald Trump’s election campaign, has been in regular contact with Vladimir Putin for the past two years, according to a report in the US.

The Wall Street Journal, citing several in-post and former US, European and Russian officials, reported that the conversations between the two men ranged from the personal to the geopolitical and included a request from the Russian leader not to activate his Starlink satellite internet service over Taiwan as a favour to the Chinese leader and Putin ally, Xi Jinping.

The implications of a secret channel of communication between Musk and Putin are enormous for western security. The Tesla tycoon is a key player in the US space programme and has a high-level security clearance. His company SpaceX launches US national security satellites, his Starlink satellite communications system is critical to the war in Ukraine, and he runs one of the world’s biggest and most influential social media platforms, X, which has provided a vehicle for Russian disinformation campaigns.

In all sincerity, I think Musk is more of a threat to US democracy than Trump is.  They are both bafoons.  Both low IQ. Both massive narcissists. Both have power, one political power, the other both financial and influence over social media.

But is Musk is younger.  He's obscenely wealthy. He controls the worlds most used communication platform. Loyal to the far right. And, like Trump, finds comradeship with world dictators. And while Trump's power only is total when he's elected into office, Musk doesn't have to be elected to wield his ungodly influence. Increasingly using AI misinformation on his platform to push far right extremism.  Scary to think that he'll only accumulate even more wealth and influence.  He grew up a privileged South African and has no real loyalty to the American democracy.  He probably hates democracy as it allowed blacks to gain back power in his homeland, and probably created a few headaches for his family business so he bailed to the US

One person should never be allowed to control that much of the world's wealth and media influence.  Let alone a dipshit like Musk.  Frightening to think how much power he even has over the US military and foreign politics and wars.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, Cranston said:

5 hours ago, Cranston said:

Not a formal interview and the full version was available for all to see. Talk about desperation.

So you couldn’t find it either? Your claim is that the full version is available for all to see but can’t or won’t back it up. 

3 hours ago, Gator said:

Money

great. 

Well we got to where I thought we would. You actually don't know the answer. 

All those videos and comments and you actually don't really know if the average American is better off on domestic policy, and internationally you seem OK with the US being Putins bitch. 

Dunno Gator, I think you've maybe watched a bit too much YouTube. 

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Well, a prominent Economist (and Nobel Laureate) disagrees with Gator's opinion that a Trump presidency would benefit the average American....at least, not those wanting to retire with a decent pension:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/nobel-laureate-economist-sounds-alarm-trump-s-actions-could-bankrupt-social-security/ar-AA1sSVot?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=db0fd948e15c489dff09b2d03ca3ce6b&ei=61

thats like, MSM, man. 

I didn't really expect an answer, I was just hoping he might realize that none of his "sources" have given him one. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats like, MSM, man. 

I didn't really expect an answer, I was just hoping he might realize that none of his "sources" have given him one. 

Yeah......how weird is it that InfoWars never has any Nobel Laureates on the show? :classic_unsure:

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

In all sincerity, I think Musk is more of a threat to US democracy than Trump is.  They are both bafoons.  Both low IQ. Both massive narcissists. Both have power, one political power, the other both financial and influence over social media.

But is Musk is younger.  He's obscenely wealthy. He controls the worlds most used communication platform. Loyal to the far right. And, like Trump, finds comradeship with world dictators. And while Trump's power only is total when he's elected into office, Musk doesn't have to be elected to wield his ungodly influence. Increasingly using AI misinformation on his platform to push far right extremism.  Scary to think that he'll only accumulate even more wealth and influence.  He grew up a privileged South African and has no real loyalty to the American democracy.  He probably hates democracy as it allowed blacks to gain back power in his homeland, and probably created a few headaches for his family business so he bailed to the US

One person should never be allowed to control that much of the world's wealth and media influence.  Let alone a dipshit like Musk.  Frightening to think how much power he even has over the US military and foreign politics and wars.

no US Military Defence Contractor should be allowed to talk to an Adversary of the USA

There is probably a law , if there is , he should be arrested immediately,

and in the same manner as that young man who was hacking the Military earlier this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

6)  so you admit that Russia started it.  It was their decision.   Their initiative.   They are to blame.

7)  Biden has been trying.   He's even floated cutting Israel off.  It's hard to get peace when you can't get the two sides to agree.  See the Ukraine conflict. 

9)  a slight increase is not skyrocketing.   Still nowhere near the highs of the 80s and early 90s.

6) Yes I admit Russia started the Ukraine conflict. However NATO did kinda (in a way) back them into that corner. Glad to see it back fired on then as we now have Finland in the alliance, but having a country like Ukraine on their border is a major national security risk. Think back to the cold war days when we were on high alert when Russia had nukes in Cuba.. Thats Russias life now with NATO countries surrounding them. Your going to ignore my point here and twist it into I'm a Russia lover, but I'm simply laying out some facts you likely choose to ignore because it doesnt suit "our side"

7) It is hard to make peace when 2 sides don't want it for sure.. You know what makes it even harder. Not trying to like we're going to get if Kamala gets in

😎 May be right, but until I see 2024 & 2024 numbers can't really say for sure

42 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

great. 

Well we got to where I thought we would. You actually don't know the answer. 

All those videos and comments and you actually don't really know if the average American is better off on domestic policy, and internationally you seem OK with the US being Putins bitch. 

Dunno Gator, I think you've maybe watched a bit too much YouTube. 

Kamala gets in ain't no1 being anyone's bitch.. We're all going to be dust or sick as fuck from all that radio active waste.. But hey, atleast our ego is in check

Just now, Gator said:

Kamala gets in ain't no1 being anyone's bitch.. We're all going to be dust or sick as fuck from all that radio active waste.. But hey, atleast our ego is in check

meh, someone has filled your noggin with fearful bullshit on this topic. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

is that a nickname for Putin?

Seriously tho, your YouTubers have done you a disservice. Why you'd want to align with people like that I don't know, it's kind of sad. 

See that's just a false assumption. Cleary you don't read as much as you claim to lol. Sure I watch youtubers.. And I watch your shit, and the Republicans shit, and the India news, and this and that.. I don't just focus on 1

And most of those "youtubers" are a hell of a lot smarter than you and I and actually do the digging that the mainstream outlets don't want you to see.

To just discredit them as some "youtuber" just because, and claim your well known to be biased news is all "fact" just shows how gullible you truly are

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gator said:

See that's just a false assumption. Cleary you don't read as much as you claim to lol. Sure I watch youtubers.. And I watch your shit, and the Republicans shit, and the India news, and this and that.. I don't just focus on 1

And most of those "youtubers" are a hell of a lot smarter than you and I and actually do the digging that the mainstream outlets don't want you to see.

To just discredit them as some "youtuber" just because, and claim your well known to be biased news is all "fact" just shows how gullible you truly are

my shit? whats my shit?

Sure, smart like Jordan Peterson, if you feel like being manipulated. 

Someone in that news circle of yours has you so fearful that you're OK with ceding Ukraine to Pooty. Where does it stop? 

19 minutes ago, Gator said:

6) Yes I admit Russia started the Ukraine conflict. However NATO did kinda (in a way) back them into that corner. Glad to see it back fired on then as we now have Finland in the alliance, but having a country like Ukraine on their border is a major national security risk. Think back to the cold war days when we were on high alert when Russia had nukes in Cuba.. Thats Russias life now with NATO countries surrounding them. Your going to ignore my point here and twist it into I'm a Russia lover, but I'm simply laying out some facts you likely choose to ignore because it doesnt suit "our side"

7) It is hard to make peace when 2 sides don't want it for sure.. You know what makes it even harder. Not trying to like we're going to get if Kamala gets in

6)  Your excuse for Russia is weak and you know it.  Ukraine signed a treated and gave up the nuke they had.  New nations added recently to NATO are largely due to Russia's aggression.  Russia is the aggressor here.  

7)  And TRUMP is going to do better?  The guy who moved the US embassy to Jerusalem.  A move that is as pro Israel as you can get without completely giving away Gaza and the West Bank to them.

Doesn't include 2023 and 2024, but I'll wager immense amounts of money that they are significantly less that the highs in this graph:

Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. 2022 | Statista

5 minutes ago, Gator said:

Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have long been on their border; not just Finland.  All of those countries requested to become part of NATO - a defensive organization.

(It's interesting to note that the most fervently 'anti-Russian' nations in the world were once ruled from the Kremlin.)

Ukraine made its' choice to look west rather than east in the 90's.  Their choice. Their right.  But not a choice Russia liked much and one that hurt her massive pride.

I'm not ignoring your point at all, I'm just listening to it, pondering it, and dismissing it.  If Ukraine had not willingly given up their nukes your Cuban analogy might work.  But they did, and it doesn't.  It's the 21st century now and proximity is not as big a factor in war as it was.

BTW - You have provided no proof to back up your speculations concerning Kamala and WWIII.  You just have an opinion thanks to MAGA propaganda.   I've heard she eats cats while listening to their screams through an earpiece.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Gator said:

I think you are under estimating the intelligence of those who disagree with you.   I think there is just a tinge of paranoia in your description of mainstream media - though it may just be that most of them disagree with you too.  I think you are overestimating the intelligence of most YouTubers and discounting the salaries they can make by promoting sensational things to an audience that already agrees with them. Even if you are correct in regards to their intelligence you seem a little blind to their motives and/or biases. 

Agree = smart.  Disagree = stupid.  It's very simple math but a bit too simple.  As Einstein said 'Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler'.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

you're OK with ceding Ukraine to Pooty

You keep saying this but not sure where that's coming from.. No1 is saying we're taking Ukraine and giving it to Russia. That's "your shit" that's feeding you the BS

Only thing mentioned so far is there will be peace talks. A lot better than no intention of trying to get peace done