US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

21 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Less than this forced  Al Franken’s resignation from the Senate.

Fellow Democrats were the ones that forced Franken to resign.  The Republicans at the time just cheerleaded the resignation calls hoping that they'd have a shot at his seat when it came back up for re-election.

Within a couple years, when the Tea Party was in the midst of a meteoric rise, people on the moderate left were posting on Twitter on how much they regretted pushing for his resignation.

• Cheers 2

Did nobody post about another failed attempt at keeping Trump off of the ballot in yet another (3rd) swing state?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/colorado-judge-rejects-bid-keep-trump-2024-ballot-rcna125451

In her ruling, Wallace found that Trump did engage in an insurrection by inciting a riot on Jan. 6, 2021, but that the president is not subject to Section 3 because they are not an “officer of the United States.”

She disputed that Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment applied to Trump, noting that the clause in question explicitly lists all federal elected positions but it does not include the president.

“While the Court agrees that there are persuasive arguments on both sides, the Court holds that the absence of the President from the list of positions to which the Amendment applies combined with the fact that Section Three specifies that the disqualifying oath is one to 'support' the Constitution whereas the Presidential oath is to 'preserve, protect and defend' the Constitution," Wallace wrote.

She added, "it appears to the Court that for whatever reason the drafters of Section Three did not intend to include a person who had only taken the Presidential Oath.”

42 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Nicki Haley is too pro life and pro war for me.

She is Trump light with different bad ideas.

Too bad Michelle Obama has no interest. 

She would crush everyone.

With what, her butt cheeks? She has zero credentials to be president, none at all and her chief was just found dead, floating in her pond. Hard pass.

9 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

With what, her butt cheeks? She has zero credentials to be president, none at all and her chief was just found dead, floating in her pond. Hard pass.

Relax, she's not running.   Fact check on aisle 17:

EDGARTOWN, Mass. (AP) — The drowning death of former President Barack Obama’s personal chef near the family’s home on Martha’s Vineyard last month has been ruled an accident by the Massachusetts medical examiner.

Tafari Campbell, 45, of Dumfries, Virginia drowned while using a paddleboard in Edgartown Great Pond on July 24, the Massachusetts State Police said.

Campbell was employed by the Obamas and was visiting Martha’s Vineyard. The Obamas were not present at the home at the time of the accident.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Trump also had zero credentials to be president. I'd also put Reagan in that category. What's your point?

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Nicki Haley is too pro life and pro war for me.

She is Trump light with different bad ideas.

Too bad Michelle Obama has no interest. 

She would crush everyone.

I think Haley would campaign from the right and govern more in the middle, but its more of a sense than having any proof. 

Yeah M.O. would be awesome but that family has given enough.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Did nobody post about another failed attempt at keeping Trump off of the ballot in yet another (3rd) swing state?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/colorado-judge-rejects-bid-keep-trump-2024-ballot-rcna125451

I always thought it was a little premature like the Santos expulsion vote earlier.  TRUMP hasn't really been indicted, let alone convicted for crimes that result in him being unable to run for office.  The QOP had their chance, and voted to save their own posteriors as opposed to doing the right thing.

Now with Santos, there is a bit more justification for expulsion with the Ethics Committee report out and the chair putting forward a motion to vote him out.

6 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Most of the time when I turn on CNN these days, the lead story is Israel - Hamas.

I disagree about CNN and "Trump obsession". I follow at a lot of news outlets and they're pretty much all reporting heavily on Trump. This is to be expected when the leading candidate for the GOP nomination is facing 4 Indictments and 91 charges.

CNN gets all the "press", because they're the biggest player on the Left, but MSNBC is even more Trump-focused, as is Huffpost, The Atlantic and Vox. You also may have noticed several posts in recent months from RawStory and Alternet, which I would also put further Left than CNN.

This isn't to say that there isn't some great reporting from these outlets. Right now, I would consider MSNBC's Mehdi Hasan one of the best in the business.

I don't watch any tv, I just look at the websites and streaming. To me from that source CNN seems quite Trump-attracted. I could be wrong, but thats how it looks to me. 

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

And look how Trump turned out.

True, but Reagan was well liked I believe. I guess it's a coin flip.

I'd also add that Trump's grifting was not at all surprising. I think many predicted that it was going to be a disaster. I don't think that had anything to do with him not having enough credentials to be president. It was a personality and ethics/morals issue more than a credentials issue imo.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I always thought it was a little premature like the Santos expulsion vote earlier.  TRUMP hasn't really been indicted, let alone convicted for crimes that result in him being unable to run for office.  The QOP had their chance, and voted to save their own posteriors as opposed to doing the right thing.

The upper echelon of the GOP doesn't want Trump either, never have, because they can't control him.  He's a populist who has his own agenda, good and/or bad alike.

Now with Santos, there is a bit more justification for expulsion with the Ethics Committee report out and the chair putting forward a motion to vote him out.

Santos is only a House representative.  He should have been expelled long ago.  He wasn't because he is a useful puppet for the GOP leadership, plus they are careful not to set precedent that could bite them in the arse in the future since their majority may continue to be razor thin after next year.  The scale however, is beginning to tip against Santos.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

you had this nailed from the start 😆

Any school kid that went to school before they politically charged classrooms should have seen this coming.  That amendment was parsed through during the Civil War classes in every grade of social studies.  It was always included in tests, often in mini-essay form.

The Democrats are throwing hail marys, trying to tip the scales in their favour for the upcoming election.  It's pretty shady and if the Republicans were doing it, people would be wailing about how corrupt and afraid they are for trying to steal an election.

That said, they have more states to try their luck and they only need one hyper-partisan and/or power hungry judge to side with them and it could be the difference between  them winning or losing the seat in the White House.  Although it would likely be the Supreme Court who had, and may still have, the final say in the matter.

Instead of trying to game the system, the Democrats should focus both their attention and their money on winning the elections on merit rather than by thwarting the will of the opposite party voters.

The same money that was spent on lawyers could have been used to rent buses on election day to bus thousands of their voters to the polls in states where the votes are expected to be close.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Any school kid that went to school before they politically charged classrooms should have seen this coming.  That amendment was parsed through during the Civil War classes in every grade of social studies.  It was always included in tests, often in mini-essay form.

The Democrats are throwing hail marys, trying to tip the scales in their favour for the upcoming election.  It's pretty shady and if the Republicans were doing it, people would be wailing about how corrupt and afraid they are for trying to steal an election.

That said, they have more states to try their luck and they only need one hyper-partisan and/or power hungry judge to side with them and it could be the difference between  them winning or losing the seat in the White House.  Although it would likely be the Supreme Court who had, and may still have, the final say in the matter.

this is kind of my point about CNN. That should be the coverage, how unlikely that approach is. But then Trump tweets on the toilet and its headline news on the website. 

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Instead of trying to game the system, the Democrats should focus both their attention and their money on winning the elections on merit rather than by thwarting the will of the opposite party voters.

The same money that was spent on lawyers could have been used to rent buses on election day to bus thousands of their voters to the polls in states where the votes are expected to be close.

couldn't agree more. I have an increasing feeling that the left (in both the US and Canada) have lost the plot. Instead of focusing on kitchen table issues, its chasing the wrong stuff.

Oh well. I have no doubt Canada takes a hard right turn in 2025, not sure about the US in 2024, but I would not be surprised at all to see a Trump win. I'd prefer a centre-right independent but not sure how realistic that actually is. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

this is kind of my point about CNN. That should be the coverage, how unlikely that approach is. But then Trump tweets on the toilet and its headline news on the website.

CNN has become a failed cable news network surviving on it's past.  It makes me sad when I think about how far they have fallen.

Oh well. I have no doubt Canada takes a hard right turn in 2025, not sure about the US in 2024, but I would not be surprised at all to see a Trump win. I'd prefer a centre-right independent but not sure how realistic that actually is. 

I think it's too close to call who will win the White House.  I think Trump has the upper hand, but that could change sooner or later.

If a centre-right Independent won the White House, he'd immediately be labeled a far-right Alphabet People hating fascist who wants everybody's grandma to die a horrible death in a pit of homophobic vipers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

CNN has become a failed cable news network surviving on it's past.  It makes me sad when I think about how far they have fallen.

I think it's too close to call who will win the White House.  I think Trump has the upper hand, but that could change sooner or later.

If a centre-right Independent won the White House, he'd immediately be labeled a far-right Alphabet People hating fascist who wants everybody's grandma to die a horrible death in a pit of homophobic vipers.

CNN has fallen?  LMAO.

Do you watch Fox?

32 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

CNN has fallen?  LMAO.

Do you watch Fox?

CNN has a minuscule viewership count for a reason.  Same with MSNBC.

I just watch occasional clips of stories from all the broadcast and cable networks on YouTube.  I stopped watching live cable news years ago.  I cut the cord before it was a popular thing to do.  I refuse to even give Newsmax and OAN YouTube view counts so I don't even bother with their clips.  Those 2 networks are a serious bad joke.  A sad failed attempt at a money grab by creating a far-right masturbatory skewed fantasy view of the world.

Fox never had anywhere to go.  They started from the bottom of the barrel as far as integrity and they've stayed bottom of the barrel.  Corner them with facts and their response always ends up being that they are mostly opinion programming with some news mixed in.  Which is what most news is nowadays.

There's a reason why the old man was pushed out from running his own company.  His sh*tty network finally paid the price for it's lying.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I just watch occasional clips of stories from all the broadcast and cable networks on YouTube.  I stopped watching live cable news years ago.  I cut the cord before it was a popular thing to do.  I refuse to even give Newsmax and OAN YouTube view counts so I don't even bother with their clips.  Those 2 networks are a serious bad joke.  A sad failed attempt at a money grab by creating a far-right masturbatory skewed fantasy view of the world.

Fox never had anywhere to go.  They started from the bottom of the barrel as far as integrity and they've stayed bottom of the barrel.  Corner them with facts and their response always ends up being that they are mostly opinion programming with some news mixed in.  Which is what most news is nowadays.

There's a reason why the old man was pushed out from running his own company.  His sh*tty network finally paid the price for it's lying.

Cnn is still the most visited news website on the planet for what it's worth. 

31 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

“Pat I would like to solve the puzzle”

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

Firstly, the lack of self awareness of someone cheerleading for Trump and then stating that someone else lacks the "credentials" to be president is a bit laughable.....

Secondly, it you want to be taken seriously when you comment, you should skip the bullshit conspiracy theories:

Many are suggesting, without evidence, that Tafari Campbell died under questionable circumstances, claiming he knew how to swim and was in calm, shallow water. Others are sharing patently untrue statements, such as that he was found with head injuries or was equipped with a life vest.

But Massachusetts authorities confirmed on Wednesday that Campbell didn’t suffer any head trauma, nor was he wearing a life vest, and there’s no evidence the death was suspicious. They said he lost his balance while standing on his paddleboard and struggled to stay afloat when he fell into the water. Water safety experts also stressed that even strong swimmers can drown, regardless of the type of water they’re in.

https://apnews.com/article/obama-chef-drowning-marthas-vineyard-paddleboard-fact-check-d4f16bea75238408942af34bb53c6579

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

According to the article I read the suit was filed by 4 Republicans and 2 Independents.....:classic_unsure:

Four Republican and two independent voters sued Colorado’s secretary of state in the District Court of Denver County on Wednesday, angling to stop former President Donald Trump’s name from being printed on the primary ballot.

https://www.courthousenews.com/republican-voters-file-suit-to-keep-trump-off-colorados-primary-ballot/

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Cnn is still the most visited news website on the planet for what it's worth. 

CNN International is still respected in most of the rest of the Western and other parts in world so that doesn't surprise me. 

The CNN here in the US has prioritized viewership for profits like any other US corporate division.  Same as everyone other newsroom now that they are corporate controlled. 

Problem is that they aren't trusted or liked as much in the US as they once were.

OK.  I just checked out of curiosity, the most visited websites in the US.  CNN is the top news website here too.  I've got some rethinking and research to do.  How are they bottom 2 in viewers on TV but so visited on the web...

Edited by Sabrefan1