US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sadly none of this matters until Republican voters say it does. And so far they don't give a 💩 about any of it.

I am more thinking that the IRS and those thousands of new agents as well as the public seeing how much tax evasion is going on and where these companies are held and what they do is going to be the best part of it

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

I am more thinking that the IRS and those thousands of new agents as well as the public seeing how much tax evasion is going on and where these companies are held and what they do is going to be the best part of it

I know Capone went down for tax evasion but tax evasion is the least of his legal problems.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I know Capone went down for tax evasion but tax evasion is the least of his legal problems.

Losing the money and tax haven status those shells give him though means a significant loss of personal wealth and nothing more than that outside of the loss of personal status would piss him off more.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Losing the money and tax haven status those shells give him though means a significant loss of personal wealth and nothing more than that outside of the loss of personal status would piss him off more.

I'd be willing to bet the loss of his personal freedom would piss him off more. He has nightmares about Jack Smith.

• Haha 1

Hmm guess Newsom have started positioning himself for a presidential run giving recent appalling poll numbers for Biden.

Republican candidate DeSantis to debate California governor Nov 30 -Fox

By Reuters(Reuters) - U.S. Republican presidential contender and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis will debate California counterpart Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, for 90 minutes on Nov. 30 on Fox News Channel, the network said in a statement on Monday.

Earlier this year, the two men clashed after Florida acknowledged a role in sending two flights of migrants to California. Newsom, 55, described the 45-year-old DeSantis as a "small, pathetic man" and called for criminal and civil investigations.

DeSantis blames liberal states such as California for policies that he says encourage illegal migration.

Fox News billed the Nov. 30 event as a debate between so-called red and blue states, referring to Republicans and Democrats respectively. The event will be hosted by its commentator Sean Hannity.

"This will mark the first time the two prominent governors will face off in a debate," Fox News said.

A Reuters/Ipsos poll last month showed DeSantis trailing front-runner Donald Trump by nearly 40 percentage points in the race for the Republican presidential nomination.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 24K said:

Hmm guess Newsom have started positioning himself for a presidential run giving recent appalling poll numbers for Biden.

By Reuters(Reuters) - U.S. Republican presidential contender and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis will debate California counterpart Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, for 90 minutes on Nov. 30 on Fox News Channel, the network said in a statement on Monday.

Earlier this year, the two men clashed after Florida acknowledged a role in sending two flights of migrants to California. Newsom, 55, described the 45-year-old DeSantis as a "small, pathetic man" and called for criminal and civil investigations.

DeSantis blames liberal states such as California for policies that he says encourage illegal migration.

Fox News billed the Nov. 30 event as a debate between so-called red and blue states, referring to Republicans and Democrats respectively. The event will be hosted by its commentator Sean Hannity.

"This will mark the first time the two prominent governors will face off in a debate," Fox News said.

A Reuters/Ipsos poll last month showed DeSantis trailing front-runner Donald Trump by nearly 40 percentage points in the race for the Republican presidential nomination.

This will be entertaining.

I absolutely expect DeSantis to bail out for some reason.  Barring that he will do nothing but repeat the exact same talking points even though the subject has nothing to do with what he is repeating

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 24K said:

If you feel like getting absolutely smashed that night, take a drink every time Darth Santis says "woke"....

Watched Cassidy Hutchinson on Rachel Maddow’s Show Monday night. Courageous young woman, and I think we’ll hear more from her when Trump goes to trial for January 6. Things that were confirmed for me: Matt Gaetz is a predatory slimeball. Mark Meadows is a spineless wimp. Trump really did want gunfire and hangings. Thank heavens the legal people talked him out of seizing the voting machines and invoking martial law. The most important thing she said was that Trump was fully prepared to kill the Constitution and will definitely do it again if re-elected. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sadly none of this matters until Republican voters say it does. And so far they don't give a 💩 about any of it.

The Democrats have a say as well and they have been waking up to that reality.  There's a reason that left leaning media outlets are turning on Biden.  He and his poll numbers are becoming too large of a liability.

Problem is that they aren't sure who to turn to.  That's why Newsome has suddenly broken out his veto pen lately and squashed some Democrat passed bills in California. 

Newsome is positioning himself as more moderate than Biden in the hopes that he will poll well enough among moderate independents and that the Democratic party will tap him to run against Trump.

As for the Republicans, the funny thing is, Nikki Haley polls best, or second best, against Biden depending on which poll you choose.  CNN had an outlier poll a couple weeks ago that had her crushing Biden by like 6 or 7 points.  They were the only one that high although she did do well in most of the others.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Democrats have a say as well and they have been waking up to that reality.  There's a reason that left leaning media outlets are turning on Biden.  He and his poll numbers are becoming too large of a liability.

Problem is that they aren't sure who to turn to.  That's why Newsome has suddenly broken out his veto pen lately and squashed some Democrat passed bills in California. 

Newsome is positioning himself as more moderate than Biden in the hopes that he will poll well enough among moderate independents and that the Democratic party will tap him to run against Trump.

As for the Republicans, the funny thing is, Nikki Haley polls best, or second best, against Biden depending on which poll you choose.  CNN had an outlier poll a couple weeks ago that had her crushing Biden by like 6 or 7 points.  They were the only one that high although she did do well in most of the others.

I think too much weight is being put on "polls", especially given the rocky road ahead for Trump.  Obviously it will energize his base, but I think moderate repubs will simply stay home.  Further to that, I think he's going to have a hard time raising money for a campaign, especially if things start going south for him 

I'm all for Biden packing it in, they both should.......however, I think he will thump trump again if they are the candidates.  I also think repugs, in general, are going to suffer at the ballot.

Edited by stawns