US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

Anyone who believes that health check letter needs to be deprogrammed from the cult brainwashing. There is NO WAY that there is a whole lot of truth contained in that BS letter. Anyone with two working brain cells can see that the subject in question meets the clinical definition of obese, has a shitty, high fat/high carb diet, is chronically sleep deprived, is physically weak in mobility/strength and his mental acuity is basically an overflow spew of word salad that doesn't have any basis in reality, never mind the psychological impairment the world has been exposed to.

The dead-ferret-headed one is so used to buying everything he wants that I wager he's not even set foot in this 'doctor's' office since 2021 but said doc has a nice hefty bank account and new yacht tied up at the dock. (With, of course,  giant Trump flags flying off the back)

So yup....sure, Jan, SURE!! 😎😎😎

He looks to be suffering increasingly from dementia. His speeches get worse and worse and he continually seems to think Obama is still president. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I don't know what to make of Musk's antics since he bought Twitter.  His reputation and net worth have taken a hit ever since.

Which is unfortunate.

I'm currently reading Musk's biography (by Walter Isaacson).  I find it a fascinating story.  Let's not overlook the fact that Musk has been a major force for electric cars and has rejuvenated the American rocket industry.  Either one of which would be remarkable for any person.  And he's done both!

Musk is brilliant.   And he loves working under pressure situations.  To an extent that he will create such a situation even if none exists.  Possibly the stress has gotten to him? 

In any event, I'm waiting to see how this latest controversy plays out and I'm hoping it isn't as bad as some are saying.  Because I'm coming away from the book with an admiration for the man.  

(A sidenote:  there's a Canadian connection to Musk.   He wanted to emigrate from South Africa to the US when he was a teenager.  He found the process to be difficult and realized it would be easier to get to the States from Canada.  So he came to Canada in 1989.  After working on his cousin's prairie farm for a while, he came to Vancouver.  His mother joined him here but didn't like the rain.  So they moved to Toronto where Musk enrolled and studied at Queen's University for two years before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania.)

I won't try to dissuade you from admiring the guy.   If that's your opinion I have to respect it.    I have some admiration for Henry Ford's accomplishments even though he was a racist f**k.

I see though that there are two recent biographies of Musk.  You read the authorized one; the unauthorized one is reportedly far less flattering.  (I've read neither book.)

And please forgive my nerdiness, but I also have to point out that Queens is in Kingston; not Toronto.  

• Cheers 2

I used to work with a Ukraine born, Russian trained officer; who would say "Stalin was a great man; but not a good man'.

There are many people accomplished great things, but were not good people.

Quick list:

Henry Ford- as previously mentioned

Bobby Fischer- former best in  the world in Chess,- ended up either going insane, or just revealing stuff he'd kept bottled up for years.

Michael Jackson, made some wonderful music-yet what about all the accusations?

Stalin- led his country in their darkest hour-yet was busy killing millions of his own populace, prior to ww2--to the point Germany should have just let him continue. Why lose your own army, when your enemy is killing themselves?

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I don't know what to make of Musk's antics since he bought Twitter.  His reputation and net worth have taken a hit ever since.

Which is unfortunate.

I'm currently reading Musk's biography (by Walter Isaacson).  I find it a fascinating story.  Let's not overlook the fact that Musk has been a major force for electric cars and has rejuvenated the American rocket industry.  Either one of which would be remarkable for any person.  And he's done both!

Musk is brilliant.   And he loves working under pressure situations.  To an extent that he will create such a situation even if none exists.  Possibly the stress has gotten to him? 

In any event, I'm waiting to see how this latest controversy plays out and I'm hoping it isn't as bad as some are saying.  Because I'm coming away from the book with an admiration for the man.  

(A sidenote:  there's a Canadian connection to Musk.   He wanted to emigrate from South Africa to the US when he was a teenager.  He found the process to be difficult and realized it would be easier to get to the States from Canada.  So he came to Canada in 1989.  After working on his cousin's prairie farm for a while, he came to Vancouver.  His mother joined him here but didn't like the rain.  So they moved to Toronto where Musk enrolled and studied at Queen's University for two years before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania.)

As Satchmo mentioned, it's fine to like the guy and what he was considered to be before the antics. That kind of person, after all, is who a lot of people strive to become.

That being said, you have to keep in mind that not everything written about him is going to be 100% true. This is the case with any biography written about anyone. There's going to be over-exaggeration in some places. There's going to be some important pieces that might make him look bad left out. There's even going to be whole different sides to the story that you'll never hear about. This isn't just with Musk, this is with pretty much any biography and the question's going to be to what extent is the truth being told? 😉

So my recommendation to you is to admire what you've read more than admire the person himself. Attach yourself to the person you read about, and not actually the person who he probably is, which is guaranteed to be different in some respects.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

He looks to be suffering increasingly from dementia. His speeches get worse and worse and he continually seems to think Obama is still president. 

What kind of Bizzaro world are we living in?

You guys are mocking Trump for his blabbering speeches and speculating about dementia and bad health?  Meanwhile the guy who is actually in charge right now literally blabbers and might literally have dementia?  Do people just love hating on Trump so much that they completely ignore Biden? The guy literally can't talk without squinting at a teleprompter and there's a drum roll playing every time he walks toward a case of stairs.  It's sad watching him being trotted out there like he is

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

You guys are mocking Trump for his blabbering speeches and speculating about dementia and bad health?  Meanwhile the guy who is actually in charge right now literally blabbers and might literally have dementia?  Do people just love hating on Trump so much that they completely ignore Biden? The guy literally can't talk without squinting at a teleprompter and there's a drum roll playing every time he walks toward a case of stairs.  It's sad watching him being trotted out there like he is

You realize that it is a response.  MAGA and TRUMP go on and on about Biden.  How old and decrepit he is.  TRUMP's the one who trots out these "doctors" who say he's 6' 3", 230 lbs and in perfect health.  Goes on about his cognitive health or do you forget him bragging about "person, woman, man, camera, tv.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Now that is a good question.

I think people are just pointing out that Trump is old and sometimes confused after hearing Trump tell us all over and over again that Biden is old and sometimes confused.

I think we all know who is old.  I also think we can spot hypocrisy, irony, and confusion when we see it.

• Cheers 3

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/republicans-push-to-gut-food-aid-program-that-helps-feed-half-of-all-infants-in-us/ar-AA1kiPl9?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=568740367c864c2093e7e3e0bce07353&ei=45

"Insisting they have to make tough cuts to government spending, some House Republicans are pushing to gut a decades-old federal program that helps feed 53% of all infants born in the United States, along with women through and up to six weeks after their pregnancies, breastfeeding women, and children up until the age of 5.

--------------------------------------------------

more at link

• Sad 4

50 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

The orange guy still thinks  Obama is president. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

They both have no place running the US. But whatabout? Is the worst argument to make. Refute the facts not point out shit on the other side. Both are too old, mentally compromised and need to be done with politics imo. Truth be told though of late Trump looks just as bad at 77 vs 81 year old Joe. 

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I think people are just pointing out that Trump is old and sometimes confused after hearing Trump tell us all over and over again that Biden is old and sometimes confused.

I think we all know who is old.  I also think we can spot hypocrisy, irony, and confusion when we see it.

The main difference is that Biden started with a full deck and isn't a criminal psychopath.  There has never been a point in Donald Trump's life where a reasonable person would argue he was fit to hold public office.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

They both have no place running the US. But whatabout? Is the worst argument to make. Refute the facts not point out shit on the other side. Both are too old, mentally compromised and need to be done with politics imo. Truth be told though of late Trump looks just as bad at 77 vs 81 year old Joe. 

While I suspect the Dems will make a push to get Biden to leave I don't know how the GOP can deal with Trump. Physically Trump does not look good and mentally I wouldn't know because I don't listen to his stuff. Still hoping that a unity ticket of Manchin and Haley take center ground and form a government. 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

While I suspect the Dems will make a push to get Biden to leave I don't know how the GOP can deal with Trump. Physically Trump does not look good and mentally I wouldn't know because I don't listen to his stuff. Still hoping that a unity ticket of Manchin and Haley take center ground and form a government. 

Hayley is a full on war hawk and not a centrist but of the options I agree. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect Harris may get dropped from the ticket though I don't know yet who might replace here.   With both of these fogies I think voters will be conscious of who will be 'a heartbeat away from the presidency'.   Well maybe not the MAGA crowd as I'm sure many of them truly believe his recent doctor's  note.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I suspect Harris may get dropped from the ticket though I don't know yet who might replace here.   With both of these fogies I think voters will be conscious of who will be 'a heartbeat away from the presidency'.   Well maybe not the MAGA crowd as I'm sure many of them truly believe his recent doctor's  note.

It'd be funny if Barack Obama were to be the VP candidate on Biden's ticket.  It's been untested as to the constitutionality of such a move, so maybe it's time to give it a test.  :hurhur:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm still somewhat stunned at the idea that people still like Trump.

I mentioned it a little bit ago but from the start he showed that he hated about half the people on the planet. 

He hates women. He has always referred to women, and treated women, as lesser. 

That's all I ever needed. 

Biden could be already dead and I would think he is better for the world than the dork leader of that daft cult. 

Indeed. I get being anti Biden but I don't understand being pro-Trump. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

I used to work with a Ukraine born, Russian trained officer; who would say "Stalin was a great man; but not a good man'.

There are many people accomplished great things, but were not good people.

Quick list:

Henry Ford- as previously mentioned

Bobby Fischer- former best in  the world in Chess,- ended up either going insane, or just revealing stuff he'd kept bottled up for years.

Michael Jackson, made some wonderful music-yet what about all the accusations?

Stalin- led his country in their darkest hour-yet was busy killing millions of his own populace, prior to ww2--to the point Germany should have just let him continue. Why lose your own army, when your enemy is killing themselves?

It should also be stated, that Stalin didn't do his armed forces any favors by gutting their officer corps prior to the German invasion of the Soviet Union.  Without good leadership, it matters little how good the 'ordinary ground troops" are.  I think Erwin Rommel on commenting on the much miligned Italian armed forces "otherwise solid soldiers almost always let down by their inferior officers".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Biden has his share of cognitive issues. At least he is too savvy and avoids presenting doctors “reports” in an attempt to refute what is plain for all to see.

The Dotard is in denial 24/7, pretty much about everything. This constant disconnect from reality should concern anyone who believes that this idiot should be Potus.

• Vintage 1

MSNBC Host Cracks Up Studio Roasting Trump For Bragging ‘Hannibal Lecter’ Loves Trump

https://www.mediaite.com/entertainment/msnbc-host-cracks-up-studio-roasting-trump-for-bragging-hannibal-lecter-loves-trump/

ALI VELSHI: Then there was this at a rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, this month.

DONALD TRUMP: Has anybody seen Silence of the Lambs? Hannibal Lecter. How great an actor was he? You know why I like him? Because he said on television on an — one of the — “I love Donald Trump!”.

So I love him! I love him!

ALI VELSHI: Hannibal Lecter said that.

It does seem that Trump got mixed up about the actor who played the cannibal in the 1991 film. But who really knows? Because Anthony Hopkins never actually publicly supported Trump.

Neither did Mads Mikkelsen or Brian Cox, the other actors who portrayed Hannibal Lecter in the past.

In fact, Cox is on record calling Donald Trump a, quote, “effing a-hole and, quote, “so full of” rhymes with spit.

• Haha 2

Fox News Commentator Roasted After Blaming Biden for $90 Turkeys

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-commentator-roasted-after-blaming-biden-for-90-turkeys/

The Bulwark’s Bill Kristol, attempted to set the record straight on what they claimed was the true cost of a gobbler, as backed up by Fortune, which claimed, “Turkey prices will be lower for Thanksgiving 2023.”

“’Turkey costs per pound fell to $1.25 in September 2023, down 43 cents from a year earlier, according to the most recent data available from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.’ Unless the turkey he bought was 70 pounds, this turkey overpaid for his turkey,” Kristol posted.

To prove his point, Chaffetz posted his own photo of the nearly 23-pound “premium young turkey” he bought from Meiers for $114.02 — even more than the originally claimed $90.

Mediaite’s own Colby Hall figured Chaffetz must have purchased a “bougie woke turkey,” since the packaging claimed the bird had been “thoughtfully raised on sustainable family farms.”

• Haha 1