US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

90% percent of this thread is about Trump, don't deny it.

So, your point is??????

He has been a major player in US politics since he went down the escalator when the original thread on the old forum was started.  He's the leading candidate for the QOP nomination.  He has multiple cases (criminal and civil) going on right now facing 90+ criminal charges.  Twice impeached and twice saved from Senate conviction by his QOP.  Tens of thousands of false/misleading statements and lies during his administration.  Multiple lawyers either indicted or convicted.  Multiple members of his 2016 campaign, his administration indicted or convicted.  A fraudster.  

OF COURSE he's going to feature heavily in US POLITICS regardless of the media outlet covering said politics.  He's a train wreck.  We all know that if if bleeds, it leads when it comes to media coverage.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Elon kicked all the pedophiles off of twitter in the first two weeks, right after firing droves of useless employees that couldn't get it done for years and years. Radio silence from his detractors about that.

You mean the useless employees that had worked together to make Twitter worth the $44B Elon paid for it, and who, since leaving Elon's employ, are in no way responsible for the drop in X's value from $44B to somewhere south of $20B? 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Rob.... ya know I love ya, dude...we share much in common in other discussions and music sharings but I I has ta jump in here...
Elon DID NOT kick all the pedophiles off Twitter. There are still a goodly number there.

He fired employees that were checks and balances on the content etc that was/is shared which resulted in Twitter becoming the shit hole it is right now. I'm there, one of the witnesses who has watched it all happen. I vehemently disagree with you.... we're STILL seeing pedos and inappropriate crap on Twitter...so please, reign it in a little on the "Great Elon" who STILL doesn't have a clue what he's doing there.

Fair enough. I respect you and your opinion. I don't have all the info on it. I respectfully concede from this argument.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

You mean the useless employees that had worked together to make Twitter worth the $44B Elon paid for it, and who, since leaving Elon's employ, are in no way responsible for the drop in X's value from $44B to somewhere south of $20B? 

These guys?

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

My guess is that it would fail. The Veep has to be prepared to take over the Presidency if anything happens to POTUS....

I'm sure Obama would be fully prepaed to take over the Presidency if he were Biden's VP.  As for the constitutional bit, it only says he can't be elected into the role of President more than twice, it doesn't say he can't inherit the role by reason of incapacitation of the incumbent President.  :hurhur:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm sure Obama would be fully prepaed to take over the Presidency if he were Biden's VP.  As for the constitutional bit, it only says he can't be elected into the role of President more than twice, it doesn't say he can't inherit the role by reason of incapacitation of the incumbent President.  :hurhur:

Oh keepers not Softy Obama. He was the idiot that, in 2014, was too cowardly to stand up to Putin during the invasion, and occupation of Ukraine. If Obama had a pair (or if his wife, Michelle was Potus) then the Ukrainian people wouldn’t be fighting now for their stolen territory. Obama was one sad mofu coward when it came to Pootin. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Having never actually read the US Constitution myself, I'll have to take your word for that....

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Having never actually read the US Constitution myself, I'll have to take your word for that....

I'll admit I haven't read it in any great detail either, but there have been constitutional academics and experts who have raised this point in their papers/discussions (not specific to Obama, just as a "what if" for an untested scenario in case it happens).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-22/

Twenty-Second Amendment

Section 1

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2

This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh keepers not Softy Obama. He was the idiot that, in 2014, was too cowardly to stand up to Putin during the invasion, and occupation of Ukraine. If Obama had a pair (or if his wife, Michelle was Potus) then the Ukrainian people wouldn’t be fighting now for their stolen territory. Obama was one sad mofu coward when it came to Pootin. 

I don't know if it is completely true, but I've heard it said that 'the west' felt Ukraine was just not ready to take on Russia in 2014.   And the west did not want to get involved with boots on the ground anymore than they do now.  But they did help Ukraine get ready for the next one.

That may be a revision of history, and is something I heard Obama himself say, but I had read it a few times before I heard Obama say it.

I'm not saying I think an Obama ticket is a great idea, just commenting on the bolded bit in your post.

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Biden was VP at that time and did not hesitate to step in to save UKraine in 2022. Obama let Ukraine down and did not defend the skies over Syria when he said he would. He also promoted the Iran deal on their nukes which the Iranians never honored. Biden as POTUS has to be given full credit for saving Ukraine. If the world goes into recession next year I fear the Americans will dwell on their internal problems which will threaten Ukraine. There is a bill being discussed which would send more aid and I hope there are enough GOP who will support it. 

• Like 1

For anybody here who is on the radical left politically that needs a good "I'm offended" self-righteous erection over yet another stand-up comedian, apparently your new target according to Twitter is Matt Rife.  I downloaded and am now watching the comedy special that has the far left in an uproar.

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

For anybody here who is on the radical left politically that needs a good "I'm offended" self-righteous erection over yet another stand-up comedian, apparently your new target according to Twitter is Matt Rife.  I downloaded and am now watching the comedy special that has the far left in an uproar.

I tried watching it the other night. Made it to about 10 minutes in and turned it off. Guess I didn't make it to the triggering stuff. Didn't make it to the funny stuff either. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I tried watching it the other night. Made it to about 10 minutes in and turned it off. Guess I didn't make it to the triggering stuff. Didn't make it to the funny stuff either. 

If I'm gauging the Twitter comments correctly, they're angry at the very first joke(s) from the special pertaining to the hostess with the black eye.

I'm 20 minutes in and he seems like he would be more funny to young people.  I'll watch the final 40 minutes just out of curiosity, but I would have preferred another Taylor Tomlinson special.

I cancelled my Netflix subscription about a year ago, so I just torrent their comedy specials when one comes out.  Although I had zero interest in Ali Wong even though Netflix was pushing harder for her than Sisyphus was pushing a boulder up a hill.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

If I'm gauging the Twitter comments correctly, they're angry at the very first joke(s) from the special pertaining to the hostess with the black eye.

I'm 20 minutes in and he seems like he would be more funny to young people.  I'll watch the final 40 minutes just out of curiosity, but I would have preferred another Taylor Tomlinson special.

I cancelled my Netflix subscription about a year ago, so I just torrent their comedy specials when one comes out.  Although I had zero interest in Ali Wong even though Netflix was pushing harder for her than Sisyphus was pushing a boulder up a hill.

Yeah , I just googled the story. I did see that part. Wtf do people expect from a comedy show? Shock comedy has been a thing forever, that's the bloody point. Although I see most of the backlash is for his "apology" which was a link to a website that sells helmets for special needs kids. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Yeah , I just googled the story. I did see that part. Wtf do people expect from a comedy show? Shock comedy has been a thing forever, that's the bloody point. Although I see most of the backlash is for his "apology" which was a link to a website that sells helmets for special needs kids. 

Yeah, I saw that too.  He made their self-righteous erection last longer so they should be thankful!  😂

59 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Just finished the whole thing.  He's clever, which I like, but I couldn't manage more than a few chuckles for the entire hour.  I'd imagine his main target audience is the under 35 non-blue/purple haired crowd.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I had never heard of the guy until he got “cancelled” so I watched a couple of his crowd work shorts and the Isaac Butterfield take on YouTube. His crowd work isn’t bad but then I don’t offend easily, evidenced by the fact that i laughed at his black eye joke I guess. I thought his special needs apology was lame and unfunny but again not offensive to me.

All the TikTokkers lining up to get likes for being offended is par for the course these days. Nothing boosts clicks for middling comedians like getting cancelled so I’m guessing Matt Rife is pleased.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I saw an article about it....the joke was a bit over the line, but IMO, not a reason for a big pile on.

Anthony Jeselnik's entire act would be banned if we used that standard......