US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm also not accepting the idea that I have to be forced into voting democrat because Trump

Nobody should be forced to vote any direction.

However, voting independent when a guy is , as your hero (jk) Joe Rogan says an 'existential threat to democracy'

Well, it might just be the last time you really get to vote.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Nobody should be forced to vote any direction.

However, voting independent when a guy is , as your hero (jk) Joe Rogan says an 'existential threat to democracy'

Well, it might just be the last time you really get to vote.

ah Joe. He lost me with his vaccine nuttiness. 

Just trying to imagine myself as a US voter. I'd be pretty annoyed with my choices. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Just trying to imagine myself as a US voter. I'd be pretty annoyed with my choices. 

Thats why I used his quote.

He is over on the wackadoodle side of things and even he can see the dangers ahead.

DT is not normal. He will try to be as bad as feared. This time around he will fill every position with loyalists. 

We cant claim that we didnt see it coming. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe Whitmer or Newsome? someone who at least looks like they could do better in the polls and competently take over if Joe falls off his bike. 

I'd likely be looking 3rd party. Dunno what to say about anyone that likes MTG theories. 

I'm not sure that they rise to the level of importance that effects their vote. 

#1 - I like em both, but my earlier comment bears repeating: Are you sure this doesn't alienate black voters, and in the case of Newsome, women voters? Do you really think that many people vote for POTUS based on their running mate? I'm not convinced.

#2 - We've been down this road already. You said it yourself. Dems consider other options. Republicans vote Republican. So the 3rd party vote is taking a vote away from Biden. If it were anyone besides Trump, I wouldn't have an issue.

#3 - That may be correct, but we're not really talking about what influences people's vote. You said you'd be more inclined to vote for someone who increases your chance to "earn". I've provided and example of why that person isn't Donald Trump and you're not providing evidence to the contrary, you're responding with "people don't care".

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yes and now you can't be blamed for electing Trump or Biden....:classic_rolleyes:

sarcasm-slow-clap.gif.89169bb208d4201bd3d837b97c178da0.gif

...or can you?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/20/democrats-shrug-off-potential-green-party-spoiler-in-2020-329170

One thing to bear in mind if you give a shit at all about your democracy.....Republican voters, (and Trump voters in particular) don't vote their conscience. They vote the Republican ticket, even if David Duke is at the top of it.

The Dems are far from perfect, but they at least aren't trying to install a king, 250 years after you fought a war to get rid of the last one...

I live in New York.  The Democrats will always win no matter who I vote for.  That hypocrit Kathy Hochul proved that much true.

I preach over and over about the need for more political parties and I would be a hypocrit if I voted otherwise.  That and I want the Green Party to keep their spot in national elections.  You need a certain percentage/amount of votes to keep your spot on the ballot.  The Libertarians always get more votes than the Green Party, so I'm not worried about them losing their position.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

if I were living in the US, I'd be much more concerned with my ability to earn, vs who's potus. Because I'd have to be. So I'd be looking as much at my state situation e.g., as anything else. 

We're maybe a bit over focused on Trump here since we tend to see the US as a big block, but I think a lot of people identify more with their state situation? maybe @Sabrefan1 can shed some light on that.

How else can a voter send a message, other than by voting? 

I totally get why democrats are not happy with Biden and Harris. Its not a secret. Yet they refuse to at least move out Harris to give themselves a better chance. Why should voters just swallow that?

There's an old saying in the US, "All politics is local".  That saying is less authentic than when it was first coined though, but there is still some truth to it.  The world and indeed the US has become a smaller more interwoven place.  Homogenization is happening at a rapid pace and was hugely sped up with the creation of the internet.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

#1 - I like em both, but my earlier comment bears repeating: Are you sure this doesn't alienate black voters, and in the case of Newsome, women voters? Do you really think that many people vote for POTUS based on their running mate? I'm not convinced.

#2 - We've been down this road already. You said it yourself. Dems consider other options. Republicans vote Republican. So the 3rd party vote is taking a vote away from Biden. If it were anyone besides Trump, I wouldn't have an issue.

#3 - That may be correct, but we're not really talking about what influences people's vote. You said you'd be more inclined to vote for someone who increases your chance to "earn". I've provided and example of why that person isn't Donald Trump and you're not providing evidence to the contrary, you're responding with "people don't care".

I guess my evidence is the perception that business does better under conservatives. It doesn't have to be true to be effective. Works up here all the time.

14 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I live in New York.  The Democrats will always win no matter who I vote for.  That hypocrit Kathy Hochul proved that much true.

I preach over and over about the need for more political parties and I would be a hypocrit if I voted otherwise.  That and I want the Green Party to keep their spot in national elections.  You need a certain percentage/amount of votes to keep your spot on the ballot.  The Libertarians always get more votes than the Green Party, so I'm not worried about them losing their position.

Good points.....I'm curious though....

If for some reason, you moved to Michigan or Wisconsin, would your voting habits change?

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We've done this to ourselves.  We voted in a guy who we rejected multiple times because we knew he would be a mediocre president.  We voted him in because the reality TV host that won the previous election was too much of a loose cannon and scared enough people to the polls. 

Now we will either be keeping the mediocre president that we voted in or will be putting back into office the guy who we were concerned about.  The problem with the guy that we were concerned about is that if he gets back into office, he won't have to temper his bad impulses because he no longer has to worry about getting re-elected.

This is what happens when an electorate is broken into only 2 parties.  It's why I preach and vote for 3rd and 4th parties as well as independents.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

We've done this to ourselves.  We voted in a guy who we rejected multiple times because we knew he would be a mediocre president.  We voted him in because the reality TV host that won the previous election was too much of a loose cannon and scared enough people to the polls. 

Now we will either be keeping the mediocre president that we voted in or will be putting back into office the guy who we were concerned about.  The problem with the guy that we were concerned about is that if he gets back into office, he won't have to temper his bad impulses because he no longer has to worry about getting re-elected.

This is what happens when an electorate is broken into only 2 parties.  It's why I preach and vote for 3rd and 4th parties as well as independents.

The US desperately needs more choices, but I bet your democratic friends tell you yes but "next time" often 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Good points.....I'm curious though....

If for some reason, you moved to Michigan or Wisconsin, would your voting habits change?

When I lived in the swing state of Nevada for a while, I was going to vote for a 3rd party candidate for the first time, but a certain first term senator from Illinois suckered me into voting for him for president.  Ah well, at least the country got the Affordable Care Act out of him.  It irks me that there are Republicans still crying over the fact that the insurance companies are making less profit because someone finally got a healthcare bill through.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I guess my evidence is the perception that business does better under conservatives. It doesn't have to be true to be effective. Works up here all the time.

I agree, but again, I thought we were discussing what you personally would do. You understand that perception is not reality, so I'm still unsure as to why you would consider Trump the better option for your earning capacity.....

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The "other guy" is always an evil person who will destroy the country.  Every. 4. friggin'. years.

I suppose some people feel that way, but although i liked Obama and was glad to see him win, I didn't have the same feeling about McCain and Romney that i do about Trump.

And Sarah Palin was McCain's running mate....:classic_unsure:

Edited by RupertKBD
  • ThereItIs 1

Speaking of bone Spurs, did everyone see his latest rant where he accused the Lincoln Project of using A.I. to make him look bad in their latest ad?

Yeah, that's okay Donny Boy....we don't need anything artificial (or intelligent, for that matter) to make you look bad....:classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I agree, but again, I thought we were discussing what you personally would do. You understand that perception is not reality, so I'm still unsure as to why you would consider Trump the better option for your earning capacity.....

I don't know exactly, but I can see myself potentially making some of the same choices, again like Sabre, depending on my state and what my financial situation was/is. 

We live on a rarefied perch up here in Canada. E.g., took my mom to VGH ER last week, didn't have to think for a second about coverage, etc. Thats gold in those times. 

But I do know folks in the US, and have discussed the differences. You bet I'd be more focused on my personal bottom line, because I'd have to be. 

I know the conservatives are better managers thing is BS for the most part - but a LOT of business people believe it. For someone in consulting, that matters because they'd be more likely to spend on my services. Is it selfish? maybe, but also what id be facing down south. They just don't have the same safety net. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

is there anyone Biden could pick to replace Harris that could move the needle? people have to be wondering if Joe can last the whole 2nd term. 

Harris repeatedly proves she's an anchor but she's not Joe's number 1 problem.  Although dropping her for a pick who is popular in a large swing state that Trump won in, would be Biden's smartest move.

It would show him as decisive and would take a state from Trump that could swing the entire election.  Harris is from California.  The Democrats have California on lock already.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't know exactly, but I can see myself potentially making some of the same choices, again like Sabre, depending on my state and what my financial situation was/is. 

We live on a rarefied perch up here in Canada. E.g., took my mom to VGH ER last week, didn't have to think for a second about coverage, etc. Thats gold in those times. 

But I do know folks in the US, and have discussed the differences. You bet I'd be more focused on my personal bottom line, because I'd have to be. 

I know the conservatives are better managers thing is BS for the most part - but a LOT of business people believe it. For someone in consulting, that matters because they'd be more likely to spend on my services. Is it selfish? maybe, but also what id be facing down south. They just don't have the same safety net. 

You're aware that the guy you aren't concerned about have said he's going to try and scrap the ACA again, right? Do you think that might affect your bottom line?

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

You have to wonder what might have happened had he stuck to his plan of running with Joe Lieberman....

He would have had a solid chance at winning the election. 

I still love the fact that one of his final acts in the Senate, while he was dying, was to save the ACA and basically give his own colleagues a modified form of the finger with his thumbs down gesture.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1