US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Harris repeatedly proves she's an anchor but she's not Joe's number 1 problem.  Although dropping her for a pick who is popular in a large swing state that Trump won in, would be Biden's smartest move.

It would show him as decisive and would take a state from Trump that could swing the entire election.  Harris is from California.  The Democrats have California on lock already.

I'm a big fan of Jon Tester, but again, I wonder about having yet another white male on the ticket.....

Other than that there aren't many names that fit your criteria....Cori Bush, Sherrod Brown and Joe Manchin, although Brown is the only one from a swing state. There are others of course, but they're either too new (John Ossoff) too old (Bennie Thompson) or have zero name recognition. (pretty much every Florida Democrat)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm a big fan of Jon Tester, but again, I wonder about having yet another white male on the ticket.....

To me it's so pathetic that's an actual concern these days.  It's why the Democrats have become what they say the Republicans are.  Racist and sexist.

I was so happy when the Supreme Court recently ruled against Affirmative Action policies.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

You're aware that the guy you aren't concerned about have said he's going to try and scrap the ACA again, right? Do you think that might affect your bottom line?

never said he wasn't a concern. It just not may be my #1 concern. 

And this leads back to my comment about earning. I'd prefer to not have to rely solely on the ACA for my health plan. 

so e.g., say I was doing a similar job in the US. I'd probably be living in Virginia. Which seems to be firmly Democrat. I'd probably do like Sabre and support a 3rd party. 

But if Trump won, it would also probably be OK for my particular line of work, as it would likely also be for others. 

Thankfully up here we don't need to make that kind of calculation.

Edited by Bob Long

Just now, Bob Long said:

And this leads back to my comment about earning. I'd prefer to not have to rely solely on the ACA for my health plan. 

Nobody should.  It's a safety net program for the working poor.  Unfortunately corporations took advantage of it and pared down their health plans to force people to switch and some even stopped hiring full time employees so that they could shovel the money saved into their profits.

A fair chunk of the ACA is basically another form of corporate welfare.  That was an unintended consequence.

• Vintage 1

Nobody should.  It's a safety net program for the working poor.  Unfortunately corporations took advantage of it and pared down their health plans to force people to switch and some even stopped hiring full time employees so that they could shovel the money saved into their profits.

A fair chunk of the ACA is basically another form of corporate welfare.  That was an unintended consequence.

So there you go. Thats definitely a consideration I'd have to weigh. 

If I did move to Virginia I could make twice what I do up here, so maybe I could actually afford to vote for Joe (/s).

• Haha 1

To me it's so pathetic that's an actual concern these days.  It's why the Democrats have become what they say the Republicans are.  Racist and sexist.

I was so happy when the Supreme Court recently ruled against Affirmative Action policies.

I don’t see choosing a running mate based on appeal to a certain voting demographic or popularity in a particular state as racist or sexist, nor a Dem vs Rep issue though. Choices like Palin/Harris/Pence/Haley etc are made knowing they will garner votes in areas that the Presidential candidates are weakest. The system just isn’t designed to pick the most qualified veep unfortunately.

Trump may pick someone like Tim Brown or even Haley again for the same reason.

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t see choosing a running mate based on appeal to a certain voting demographic or popularity in a particular state as racist or sexist, nor a Dem vs Rep issue though. Choices like Palin/Harris/Pence/Haley etc are made knowing they will garner votes in areas that the Presidential candidates are weakest. The system just isn’t designed to pick the most qualified veep unfortunately.

Trump may pick someone like Tim Brown or even Haley again for the same reason.

I disagree.  It's sexist, just with a political advantage, plain and simple.  Identity politics is a shaky thing for the Democrats to use long term.  It's too controversial.

As for McCain/Palin, that backfired spectacularly.  I don't know how McCain would have done as president, but since he let his aides more or less have the last word on something as crucial as his running mate, I'd imagine his administration would have been poorly run by the same aides once they were given positions.

20 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I disagree.  It's sexist, just with a political advantage, plain and simple.  Identity politics is a shaky thing for the Democrats to use long term.  It's too controversial.

As for McCain/Palin, that backfired spectacularly.  I don't know how McCain would have done as president, but since he let his aides more or less have the last word on something as crucial as his running mate, I'd imagine his administration would have been poorly run by the same aides once they were given positions.

I don't think Identity Politics are an exclusively Democrat phenomena....

Donald Trump didn't choose Mike Pence because he liked him, or thought he was an astute politician. He picked him so he'd get the Evangelical vote. He probably didn't have a clue what ACB's credentials were before nominating her to the Supreme Court either. he was advised to pick a woman.....

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I don't think Identity Politics are an exclusively Democrat phenomena....

Donald Trump didn't choose Mike Pence because he liked him, or thought he was an astute politician. He picked him so he'd get the Evangelical vote. He probably didn't have a clue what ACB's credentials were before nominating her to the Supreme Court either. he was advised to pick a woman.....

Definitely not just Democrats/Liberals.  Just mostly.  The Republicans also play with identity politics to a lesser extent.  They refused to learn their lesson after the Palin disaster. 

I never thought the Pence choice was Trump's smartest choice.  He already had the Evangelical vote just by virtue of being a Republican.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I guess I’m just not getting it. I don’t see how selecting someone because of sex or colour to run because they are attractive to a particular demographic is different  from the Republicans selecting Trump for the same reason. In neither case is the choice based on qualifications. Political advantage is always the reason, likely the #1 qualification Biden had was the belief that he was the only candidate that could beat Trump. And if they are different they are certainly no worse than what we’re seeing now.

The system is a popularity contest now so what difference whether that is based on sex, race, Washington insider, or outsider? The parties are going to sell whatever they think the public will buy.

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I guess I’m just not getting it. I don’t see how selecting someone because of sex or colour to run because they are attractive to a particular demographic is different  from the Republicans selecting Trump for the same reason. In neither case is the choice based on qualifications. Political advantage is always the reason, likely the #1 qualification Biden had was the belief that he was the only candidate that could beat Trump. And if they are different they are certainly no worse than what we’re seeing now.

The system is a popularity contest now so what difference whether that is based on sex, race, Washington insider, or outsider? The parties are going to sell whatever they think the public will buy.

Yup. Why did Biden choose Harris as his running mate in the last campaign? Wash she the best person or the one who could get more votes? 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

It's not that you aren't getting it.  We both have different outlooks on the same thing.  The world would suck and be a bit creepy if everyone was the same.  It's what the hyper-partisan regular people don't get.  Different views about the world is okay.  It's when views and actions become extreme is when things get out of balance and begin to fall apart.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Votes. Always best person to get the votes, very rarely best person for the job.

Yup. The best person got the job (IMHAO) is Michelle Obama. If she ran now with Biden that ticket would win for sure. Then she runs for potus the next two terms. For 12 years (in addition to these very well led Biden years) the US would have good and trusted leadership. 

Alright.  Now I'm curious for the opinions of the liberals here.  Since the Republicans finally took out their trash, should the Democrats do the same in the Senate?

Gold bars found in Sen. Bob Menendez’s home linked to 2013 armed robbery: report

https://nypost.com/2023/12/04/news/gold-bars-found-in-sen-bob-menendezs-home-linked-to-2013-robbery-report/

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Once a rat, always a rat. 

Just when you think Newsmax can't get any more low-brow and idiotic, they end up eating their own feces and prove all of us wrong.

Did they ever find a cable or satellite provider to pick them up again or are they still whining about getting dumped?

Just now, CBH1926 said:

I was watching that movie theater video of Boebert rubbing her boyfriend’s junk and noticed something when she got kicked out. Is it me or she got her titties done? I don’t recall her having big bazookas like that. 

Either that or she bought one amazing pushup bra.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Just when you think Newsmax can't get any more low-brow and idiotic, they end up eating their own feces and prove all of us wrong.

Did they ever find a cable or satellite provider to pick them up again or are they still whining about getting dumped?

Yes they did, Sci-FI channel picked them up, I guess both produce similar content.

Newsmax only does fiction, they don’t believe in science.

Say what you want about John Gotti, but he never ratted on anyone in prison.

Sammy on the other hand whacked his own brother in law.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Yes they did, Sci-FI channel picked them up, I guess both produce similar content.

Newsmax only does fiction, they don’t believe in science.

After your first sentence I was like, "huh, that makes no sense".  Then after your second sentence I was like, "That clever S.O.B."  🤣

Say what you want about John Gotti, but he never ratted on anyone in prison.

Sammy on the other hand whacked his own brother in law.

He's lucky that the mob is more or less toothless these days.

• Cheers 1