US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Don't believe everything you see on CNN and MSNBC.  The Democrats also play the gerrymander game as much as the Republicans.  They're just less obvious about it and gerrymandering doesn't flat out break any federal election laws as long as you aren't disenfranchising a "protected class". 

The reason why the Republicans keep getting in trouble with the courts, and continue to get bad press, is because they gerrymander minorities and they are anything but subtle about it.  It's not a racist thing so much as it's a power grab thing.

Even the conservative majority Supreme Court just denied a hearing today (or yesterday) brought about by Republicans where they flat out ignored lower courts that had ordered them to redraw a more representative map in Alabama that didn't lump all blacks into one district.  https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4217097-supreme-court-refuses-to-revive-alabamas-gop-drawn-congressional-map

I'm pretty confident in my ability to determine media credibility.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Of course they have the largest state economy.  They are the most populous state. 

That ranking of 5 will change if they don't get control of their social problems and businesses as well as people continue to leave the state.

I judge state success by more than their economy. 

California is hardly the only state that is currently failing.  My home state of NY is a huge mess.  That's why we're bleeding residents and as a result losing House seats after every census.  It starts happening slowly.  We were at one time a powerful state brimming with people.  We're now a shadow of what we once were.

That sounds like a lot of hyperbole to me.  Big states shed people, that's natural.  I think there's a lot of right wing bullsh!t peddlers feeding that narrative.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Think there are researches out there finding out that younger generation including millennial do not become more conservative as the generation ages.

The argument if I remember correctly is that people get more conservative not because of age but rather because of having nuclear family or have giant increase in wealth accumulation. Given current generation trend in Millenials and gen z where the generation tend not to have kids or form families and the stagnation of wealth accumulation, the younger generation as a whole is not becoming more conservative. 

After I get off the board, I'm gonna do some quick searching and reading to see if that truly is the case.  It sounds feasible, but would go against the tide of history. 

The baby boomers themselves were once full of ultra left wing hippies then they aged out of it.  That's where the saying "I didn't sell out, I bought in" comes from.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

That sounds like a lot of hyperbole to me.  Big states shed people, that's natural.  I think there's a lot of right wing bullsh!t peddlers feeding that narrative.

I'm very center moderate and I would be in my glory if both parties died off tomorrow. 

That said, I believe what I see and I believe the numbers.  Here is the proof of loss of population straight from the horses mouth...   https://www.ppic.org/blog/large-cities-lose-population-even-as-they-add-new-housing/

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

After I get off the board, I'm gonna do some quick searching and reading to see if that truly is the case.  It sounds feasible, but would go against the tide of history. 

The baby boomers themselves were once full of ultra left wing hippies then they aged out of it.  That's where the saying "I didn't sell out, I bought in" comes from.

I think the old wisdom was true for prior generations where family, kids, and wealth accumulation occurs naturally as one ages but that was a simpler time compared to the world faced by millenials and gen z. 

Wage have definitely stagnated since millenials came to the work force and with less wealth, people tend to forgo family and kids. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

There goes Eric's and Don Junior's inheritance.  Ivanka will be fine since she gets half of that 2 billion that Jared got from Saudi Arabia.

You sir, are correct on both counts. 

By the way, glad to have you back in the fold. Your absence was notably missed. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm very center moderate and I would be in my glory if both parties died off tomorrow. 

That said, I believe what I see and I believe the numbers.  Here is the proof of loss of population straight from the horses mouth...   https://www.ppic.org/blog/large-cities-lose-population-even-as-they-add-new-housing/

Maybe instead of considering it as "population loss", think of it as "seeding red states and turning them purple"... :hurhur:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

I think the old wisdom was true for prior generations where family, kids, and wealth accumulation occurs naturally as one ages but that was a simpler time compared to the world faced by millenials and gen z. 

Wage have definitely stagnated since millenials came to the work force and with less wealth, people tend to forgo family and kids. 

Like I said in my other post, it sounds feasible and you may have read information that I did not.  I'll do a search for info later tonight and get back to you.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

There goes Eric's and Don Junior's inheritance.  Ivanka will be fine since she gets half of that 2 billion that Jared got from Saudi Arabia.

Until dirt is dug up and litigated about their wealth and how they acquired it. I suspect shenanigans were afoot at some stage. 

I would love to see both Ivanka and Jared penniless. Smug, thy name is Kushner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe instead of considering it as "population loss", think of it as "seeding red states and turning them purple"... :hurhur:

It sounds funny, but that's exactly what's happening in Texas.  Austin is only the beginning.  Either that or every "run away" will keep fleeing to Austin and make it the largest city in Texas.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Until dirt is dogged up and litigated about their wealth and how they acquired it. I suspect shenanigans were afoot at some stage. 

I would love to see both Ivanka and Jared penniless. Smug, thy name is Kushner. 

The problem is that both parties bend over for the Saudis.  That's the only thing keeping that 2 billion from being heavily investigated.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The reason these states are 'failing' is due to housing cost and cost of living so shedding population may just be what the doctor ordered.

That said, most of this is driven by remote work where people are still paid hcol salaries even when actually physically in a lcol state. 

That trend is going to reverse soon as companies start enforcing and cracking down on return to office. Many would come back to maintain or achieve the high income provided in NYC and California. 

As for companies leaving, they are not really leaving. They just left on paper to do tax evasion in a lower taxed state. Pretty much all of their operations are still in the state they moved from outside of some corporate functions like accounting. 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

As for companies leaving, they are not really leaving. They just left on paper to do tax evasion in a lower taxed state. Pretty much all of their operations are still in the state they moved from outside of some corporate functions like accounting. 

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/06/05/california-business-departures-rising-study-says/

That's a California newspaper.  If my memory serves, the businesses that have left comprise less than 1% of the economic total.  Problem is, that's how it starts.  I've been watching it happen in NY my entire life.  Though NY had more to do with greedy sellouts in Washington.

As for California, 7 years is a trend, not a blip.  They need to reverse the trend or the slow bleeding will get worse and add up over time.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It sounds funny, but that's exactly what's happening in Texas.  Austin is only the beginning.  Either that or every "run away" will keep fleeing to Austin and make it the largest city in Texas.

It;s actually exactly what is happening in Alberta and BC.

As younger people are priced out of BC and move to Alberta for easier housing costs and better potential earnings, they bring a more left leaning mind set which is why Edmonton, Calgary and now seeing it in red Deer are NDP safe zones.

In BC the cities are all left leaning as well with the interior turning and maintaining a conservative zone.

There is no gerrymandering though here to the same extent but it's interesting to see what's happening here and how it's happening in the US and where it's happening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Judge rules Donald Trump defrauded banks, insurers while building real estate empire

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-letitia-james-fraud-lawsuit-1569245a9284427117b8d3ba5da74249

This has never been a secret.  It's only now biting him in the ass because NY is a Democratic state.  

When Trump was a staunch Democrat, he was loved and protected as well as regularly visited by Democratic state politicians when they wanted donations and/or favors.

After he became a Republican and ran for president, he exposed his throat and his skeletons are being dragged from the closet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a funny aside.  Had Trump somehow won the bidding for my hometown NFL team, the Buffalo Bills, he never would have switched parties and never run for president.  Hilary Clinton would be in her 2nd term right now.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It;s actually exactly what is happening in Alberta and BC.

As younger people are priced out of BC and move to Alberta for easier housing costs and better potential earnings, they bring a more left leaning mind set which is why Edmonton, Calgary and now seeing it in red Deer are NDP safe zones.

In BC the cities are all left leaning as well with the interior turning and maintaining a conservative zone.

There is no gerrymandering though here to the same extent but it's interesting to see what's happening here and how it's happening in the US and where it's happening.

Things will happen faster in Canada in that case because of the much lower population.  That will end up scaring a whole lot of Republican Texans if they see "Texas-Canada" become a liberal state.

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/06/05/california-business-departures-rising-study-says/

That's a California newspaper.  If my memory serves, the businesses that have left comprise less than 1% of the economic total.  Problem is, that's how it starts.  I've been watching it happen in NY my entire life.  Though NY had more to do with greedy sellouts in Washington.

As for California, 7 years is a trend, not a blip.  They need to reverse the trend or the slow bleeding will get worse and add up over time.

I am not denying it. All I am saying as quoted in this article is that HQs are moving while large majority of operations is staying where they were.

As companies are liable to taxes and some regulation based on where their headquarters are, they pretty much moved on paper to evade taxes while the actual economic engine stays where they were. 

It is like Boeing, their HQ is in Chicago but pretty much all of their engineering and good chunck of manufacturing stucked in Washington. 

It is understandable seeing the overhead cost of actually moving out as it involves dismantling of current sites and operation as well as bring up in new home, not to mention all of the cost associated with personal movement and turnover. 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

I am not denying it. All I am saying as quoted in this article is that HQs are moving while large majority of operations is staying where they were.

As companies are liable to taxes and some regulation based on where their headquarters are, they pretty much moved on paper to evade taxes while the actual economic engine stays where they were. 

It is like Boeing, their HQ is in Chicago but pretty much all of their engineering and good chunck of manufacturing stucked in Washington. 

It is understandable seeing the overhead cost of actually moving out as it involves dismantling of current sites and operation as well as bring up in new home, not to mention all of the cost associated with personal movement and turnover. 

Elon Musk can't seem to quit California, so you may be right. 

I just personally don't see things headed in the right direction for California.  They are causing themselves plenty of unnecessary issues. 

Maybe the major population decline is just what the doctor ordered.  Time will tell.

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm pretty confident in my ability to determine media credibility.  

Just saw your post.  No offense was meant.  I keep forgetting that tone is difficult to convey in short writing. 😆

My point was that left leaning media is as conniving as the right.  That's why I left a link for The Hill.  Although they lean left, they haven't quite yet "jumped the shark" for clicks and ratings.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 24K said:

Want to get annoyed?  Do a search on this subject just like I just did. 

I'm running into a split of "facts" and opinions.  The kicker is, it's not even split among left and right.  One of the strongest articles saying that Millennials are getting more conservative came from the heavily left leaning NY Times.  Whereas a couple right of center articles were saying otherwise.

The only consensus I could find were from overseas where both the UK and Oceania (Aus, NZ) says their Millennials are staying more left than their predecessors as they age.

I'd imagine that Canada's social trends would follow the overseas social trends rather than US trends.  Although US trends apparently aren't academically settled as of yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Want to get annoyed?  Do a search on this subject just like I just did. 

I'm running into a split of "facts" and opinions.  The kicker is, it's not even split among left and right.  One of the strongest articles saying that Millennials are getting more conservative came from the heavily left leaning NY Times.  Whereas a couple right of center articles were saying otherwise.

The only consensus I could find were from overseas where both the UK and Oceania (Aus, NZ) says their Millennials are staying more left than their predecessors as they age.

I'd imagine that Canada's social trends would follow the overseas social trends rather than US trends.  Although US trends apparently aren't academically settled as of yet.

For sure people develop more conservative personal values as they age, but that doesn’t necessarily mean those people will be Conservative politically. 

• Vintage 1