US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Certainly were a lot of ear worm 80's 1 hit wonders.

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus

Peter Schilling - Major Tom

Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok

Tommy Tutone - 867-5309

Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue

The list is endless.

Tell me about it.  I was recently watching a video where a dude went into a place of business with people of all ages, went up to them and asked "what's Jenny's phone number".  Not one person under 30 knew the answer.  That made me a little sad.  Of course several of the people over 30, broke out into song and started singing it. 😂

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Certainly were a lot of ear worm 80's 1 hit wonders.

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus

Peter Schilling - Major Tom

Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok

Tommy Tutone - 867-5309

Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue

The list is endless.

Funny that you mention Eddy Grant.

A few years back I was playing in a band and our lead guitar player Mike, wanted to cover that song. We all looked at him like he was crazy, but we did it anyway and much to our surprise, it went over huge every time we played it.

It's a very weird song for a guitar player to want to do, though. It has no changes at all and no solos. If you're playing the guitar, you're just strumming one chord over and over for the entire song....(an "A" chord, IIRC)

As the keyboard player, I had lots of interesting little riffs and a pretty cool bass line with the left hand to play, but it's probably a good thing Mike wanted to sing it as well, because he didn't have much else to do....

BTW: Used to play Jenny Jenny as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Has anybody yet posted about Trump promising to follow through with his original plan of sending troops into the Democratic cities with civil unrest?  He started to do it when he was president, but pulled back at the last minute. 

There are those that don't think that he can do it, but the Insurrection Act is fairly wide-ranging and specifically includes civil unrest.  As commander in cvhief of the armed forces, he can dismiss any commanding officer or general who refuses or tries to interfere with his orders.

Trump presidency 2.0 could get very dramatic very quickly.

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Has anybody yet posted about Trump promising to follow through with his original plan of sending troops into the Democratic cities with civil unrest?  He started to do it when he was president, but pulled back at the last minute. 

There are those that don't think that he can do it, but the Insurrection Act is fairly wide-ranging and specifically includes civil unrest.  As commander in cvhief of the armed forces, he can dismiss any commanding officer or general who refuses or tries to interfere with his orders.

He will try to stay in office for the rest of his life if elected again.

Dramatic is an understatement. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Tell me about it.  I was recently watching a video where a dude went into a place of business with people of all ages, went up to them and asked "what's Jenny's phone number".  Not one person under 30 knew the answer.  That made me a little sad.  Of course several of the people over 30, broke out into song and started singing it. 😂

Reminds me of a time several years back when I took my then teenaged daughter to McDonalds....

The kid behind the counter says that'll be $10.66 and being a bit of a history nerd, I say, "Hey! Battle of Hastings!"

Both my daughter and this kid looked at me like I was speaking Russian....:classic_unsure:

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I have heard the name Stephen Miller bandied about for Attorney General. Not sure if he has the actual qualifications for that job. I have also heard the name Mike Lindell tossed out there for Secretary of State.

Probably just people joking but I think a 2nd Trump administration would feature the worst of the worst as no one with an ounce of integrity would serve.

I could easily see General Flynn as Secretary of Defence.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

He will try to stay in office for the rest of his life if elected again.

Dramatic is an understatement. 

He could try but he would fail spectacularly.  The second that his successor is sworn in, he would be subject to the Insurrection Act and the military would remove him and hand him over to law enforcement (FBI) who would immediately imprison him. 

People think that it's a Supreme Court justice that has to swear in a new president, but any federal judge can do it.

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I have heard the name Stephen Miller bandied about for Attorney General. Not sure if he has the actual qualifications for that job. I have also heard the name Mike Lindell tossed out there for Secretary of State.

Probably just people joking but I think a 2nd Trump administration would feature the worst of the worst as no one with an ounce of integrity would serve.

I could easily see General Flynn as Secretary of Defence.

He'll put in loyalists for sure.  As much as Barr crap talks him these days, Barr was a major suck-up as Trump's Attorney General.  It's how he got the job in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He could try but he would fail spectacularly.  The second that his successor is sworn in, he would be subject to the Insurrection Act and the military would remove him and hand him over to law enforcement (FBI) who would immediately imprison him. 

People think that it's a Supreme Court justice that has to swear in a new president, but any federal judge can do it.

Except that he's already promised to purge the FBI (and the Civil Service) of anyone not loyal to him personally, so who exactly carries out these duties?

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You make sense, but your country hasnt for a while. 

So I will take your guarantee with a big grain of salt. How we dont have to see how it plays out.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Except that he's already promised to purge the FBI (and the Civil Service) of anyone not loyal to him personally, so who exactly carries out these duties?

Once he's no longer in power, loyalists will fall away.  It's the nature of politics.  People will always look out for themselves first.

The military is the great equalizer.  If his successor told the military to throw him into Leavenworth instead of handing him over to the FBI, then he'd be a guest in that prison until the new guy sorted things out in Washington.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Once he's no longer in power, loyalists will fall away.  It's the nature of politics.  People will always look out for themselves first.

The military is the great equalizer.  If his successor told the military to throw him into Leavenworth instead of handing him over to the FBI, then he'd be a guest in that prison until the new guy sorted things out in Washington.

The fatal flaw here is that as we have seen he commands a legion of angry, violent, well armed a-holes.

• Cheers 1

I'm glad you're so confident. Personally, I'd be far more concerned.....

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Funny that you mention Eddy Grant.

A few years back I was playing in a band and our lead guitar player Mike, wanted to cover that song. We all looked at him like he was crazy, but we did it anyway and much to our surprise, it went over huge every time we played it.

It's a very weird song for a guitar player to want to do, though. It has no changes at all and no solos. If you're playing the guitar, you're just strumming one chord over and over for the entire song....(an "A" chord, IIRC)

As the keyboard player, I had lots of interesting little riffs and a pretty cool bass line with the left hand to play, but it's probably a good thing Mike wanted to sing it as well, because he didn't have much else to do....

BTW: Used to play Jenny Jenny as well.

The Wall by Floyd is like 90% just B minor...yet fun to play 😄 

56 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My music tastes are all over the place.  😆

I was listening to Puttin' on the Ritz by Taco for a couple weeks recently.  I'm only now just tapering it off the listening sheet.

Lmao...I was into that when it came out in what...82?.  Revisited it a few years back. Not the same for me. lol

Just now, Gnarcore said:

The Wall by Floyd is like 90% just B minor...yet fun to play 😄 

Yep. Played rhythm guitar on that one for many years. Used to cramp up between the thumb and the index finger because of playing bar chords for that long....

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

The fatal flaw here is that as we have seen he commands a legion of angry, violent, well armed a-holes.

Who wouldn't have the guts to attack the military no matter what they say.

Trump has no chance of becoming a dictator once his second term ended. 

1 minute ago, Coalio said:

Lmao...I was into that when it came out in what...82?.  Revisited it a few years back. Not the same for me. lol

Fred Astaire was the first to sing it in the roaring 20's.  It's been covered by lots of great and less than great singers in the last nearly 100 years since.  I still enjoy the Taco remake as much as I did back in the 80's.  Although I do like the Fred Astaire original version as well.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm glad you're so confident. Personally, I'd be far more concerned.....

I'm not concerned about him staying in office.  There are too many checks and balances in place for that.

The biggest concern that I have with him using the Insurrection Act is that he will set precedent using active troops to quell entire regions of the country.   That is one helluva a slippery slope that future presidents could run with. 

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Who wouldn't have the guts to attack the military no matter what they say.

Trump has no chance of becoming a dictator once his second term ended. 

Yet they attacked the Capital and the military was no where in site.

And what if President Dumbo has the military on his side? It's happened many places around the world. With the direction the US is headed, with elected officials being so willing to wipe their arse with the Constitution it's not out of the question. Who's the Barry Goldwater in the Republican Party? Who's going to tell him to go, Mike Johnson, Matt Gaetz, Elise Stefanik, Jim Jordan, FOX News?

The probability that happens isn't less than zero.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yet they attacked the Capital and the military was no where in site.

And what if President Dumbo has the military on his side? It's happened many places around the world. With the direction the US is headed, with elected officials being so willing to wipe their arse with the Constitution it's not out of the question. Who's the Barry Goldwater in the Republican Party? Who's going to tell him to go, Mike Johnson, Matt Gaetz, Elise Stefanik, Jim Jordan, FOX News?

The probability that happens isn't less than zero.

The military was actually nearby.  Nobody wanted them called in. 

If Trump had the military on his side, it would be game over.  However, the US military is completely volunteer and totally funded by Congress.  Congress would stop paying the military salaries and every person would start losing their vehicles, homes, spouses, etc.  Nobody likes Trump enough for that.

People talk big until the personal sacrifices roll in and then they fold like a cheap suit.  Honestly, I'm not 100% sure that Trump would even finish a second term if he became too disruptive.  As a whole, the majority of the leaders in his own party can't stand him and the Democrats loathe him.  I think there's a very real chance that he'd be removed from office before his second term was up.  The majority of the people in power in Washington just do not like him.

Edited by Sabrefan1
grammar/spelling

The military was actually nearby.  Nobody wanted them called in. 

If Trump had the military on his side, it would be game over.  However, the US military is completely volunteer and totally funded by Congress.  Congress would stop paying the military salaries and every person would start losing their vehicles, homes, spouses, etc.  Nobody like Trump enough for that.

People talk big until the personal sacrifices roll in and then they fold like a cheap suit.  Honestly, I'm not 100% sure that Trump would even finish a second term if he became too disruptive.  As a whole, the majority of the leaders in his own party can't stand him and the Democrats loathe him.  I think there's a very real chance that he'd be removed from office before his second term was up.  The majority of the people in power in Washington just do not like him.

"Nobody" meaning the president. See the problem with that line of thinking?