US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Also, as people age, they tend to get more conservative.  As the old saying goes, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I think plenty of moderate Millennials will eventually take the place of conservative Gen X'ers and Baby Boomers.   I doubt the US will see a significant shift to the left until the Gen Z'ers become the elder generation.  Gen Z is so far left as a whole, that I'd imagine that when they take over, the US will become more like present day Europe.

I don't like the radical left or the radical right so thankfully I'll be long dead by the time Gen Z takes control.

but you'll still be alive if Trump retakes the White House in 2024....

Are you saying you don't think his plans for once he's back in power are radical?

46 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Here's a funny aside.  Had Trump somehow won the bidding for my hometown NFL team, the Buffalo Bills, he never would have switched parties and never run for president.  Hilary Clinton would be in her 2nd term right now.

Didn't the "stable genius" have an option to purchase the Cowboys that he passed on, so he could start up the New Jersey Generals of the USFL?

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

but you'll still be alive if Trump retakes the White House in 2024....

Are you saying you don't think his plans for once he's back in power are radical?

No doubt they will be radical.  Trump is a man who grew up around NYC gangsters.  His family has always had to deal with them in the construction industry. 

Trump will go after every political enemy he has in order to bury them.  

As for his policies.  He wouldn't have to worry about a re-election so if the Republicans have both the House and the Senate, compromise will never happen.  Everything will be skewed to the right.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Didn't the "stable genius" have an option to purchase the Cowboys that he passed on, so he could start up the New Jersey Generals of the USFL?

Honestly, I doubt he had the liquid assets to buy the Cowboys even back then.  Jerry Jones himself was barely able to afford the Cowboys back then.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For sure people develop more conservative personal values as they age, but that doesn’t necessarily mean those people will be Conservative politically. 

From what I've read so far, the jury is still out on US Millennials.  As for the UK, Aus, NZ, they are still fairly socially and politically to the left.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Problem is that they aren't sure who to turn to.  That's why Newsome has suddenly broken out his veto pen lately and squashed some Democrat passed bills in California. 

Newsome is positioning himself as more moderate than Biden in the hopes that he will poll well enough among moderate independents and that the Democratic party will tap him to run against Trump.

Can you imagine how pissed off Kimberly Guilfoiyle would be knowing she was stuck with a coked up, broke ass Jr when she could have been 1st Lady of USA.

🤣

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Want to get annoyed?  Do a search on this subject just like I just did. 

I'm running into a split of "facts" and opinions.  The kicker is, it's not even split among left and right.  One of the strongest articles saying that Millennials are getting more conservative came from the heavily left leaning NY Times.  Whereas a couple right of center articles were saying otherwise.

The only consensus I could find were from overseas where both the UK and Oceania (Aus, NZ) says their Millennials are staying more left than their predecessors as they age.

I'd imagine that Canada's social trends would follow the overseas social trends rather than US trends.  Although US trends apparently aren't academically settled as of yet.

Eh I did say I saw some research and not concensus. 

Well it won't be the first time American exceptionism diverge from global trends. Not that surprised if it is in US seeing how US is a more conservative country and all. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 24K said:

Eh I did say I saw some research and not concensus. 

Well it won't be the first time American exceptionism diverge from global trends. Not that surprised if it is in US seeing how US is a more conservative country and all. 

Yes, you did say you only saw some research, not consensus.  It wasn't my intention to say otherwise.

As for the US, my guess is that the jury is still out.  The media as a whole and one source of academia that I found is all over the place on this issue.

I agree though that it's more likely going to be the case that in the US, Millennials are more apt to go conservative.  I can't see the same thing ever happening to Gen Z though.  They are as far left as it gets.  At most, they grow into being centrists and that would even be a serious stretch.

*edit* Expanded my opening sentence to make it more clear that I was agreeing.

Edited by Sabrefan1

28 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Can you imagine how pissed off Kimberly Guilfoiyle would be knowing she was stuck with a coked up, broke ass Jr when she could have been 1st Lady of USA.

🤣

That's assuming that Newsom becomes president.  I'm not so sure that Biden will back off and allow Newsom to have that shot.

Funny thing is, I could definitely see Jr. running against Newsom in 2028 or 2032.  Now that would be entertaining. 😂

• ThereItIs 1

I don't know what the Bone Spurs family is so worked up about....

As I understand it, they could sell Mara-Lardo for 2 billion dollars, pay off their debts and retire comfortably to somewhere on the Redneck Riviera.....

...if they're not all sitting in the crowbar motel, that is....:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I believe the NFL owners said no as they didn't want him as an owner.

While it is tough to believe anything he says the story has long been he passed on the deal. But him doing a rival league after being told to kick rocks sounds like something he'd do. 

And TwitterX suspends me for this in regard to a televised Trump lie at some occasion earlier this evening.... WTAF???  I've said much worse...as have others but this gets me a suspension? I'd be LMAO if it weren't so bloody absurd! 🤪

@RonFilipkowski He really should have spontaneously combusted after THAT whopper.
Sep 27, 2023, 6:39 PM