US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Might do better with an audiobook given the fact that her target audience can't read.

Or a children's book for adults with pictures

And to pre-answer any questions on what a "children's book for adults" could mean, the answer is yes.

Edited by The Lock

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

In Closing Arguments Giuliani’s Own Attorney Compares Him To ‘Flat-Earther’ Who Won’t Stop Believing In Stolen Election

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/in-closing-arguments-giulianis-own-attorney-compares-him-to-flat-earther-who-wont-stop-believing-in-stolen-election/

This man was the personal attorney to the POTUS. Although was he really if he never got paid?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The reviews for MTG's new book are out! 

"Thank you Margorie Taylor Greene, the crayons were delicious" - Eric Trump

"If this book doesn't stop soshalism, nothing will" - Lauren Boobert

"I can fit way more of these crayons up my nose than stupid woke crayolas" - Ted Cruise

"My date really enjoyed the crayons" - Matt Gaetz

Maybe the book can stop her from fondling guy’s schwanz in jam packed theatre.

Lawmakers stuffed a provision into the Pentagon funding bill that makes it all but impossible for Trump to leave NATO

• Congress has passed a sweeping law that could spell trouble for Trump if he wins in 2024.

• Lawmakers included a provision in the $886 billion Pentagon funding bill that makes it all but impossible to leave NATO.

• Trump has not said he would withdraw the US from NATO, but there are fears he could do so.

A brief provision in the massive $886 billion bill funding the Pentagon will likely kill former President Donald Trump or any potential future president's ambitions to withdraw the United States from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Sens. Tim Kaine, a Virginia Democrat, and Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican, teamed up to muscle their bill — which would require an act of Congress or Senate approval to leave NATO — into what is often deemed a must-pass bill that funds servicemembers and outlines national security priorities. President Joe Biden is expected to sign the legislation into law. The Senate passed the overall legislation 87 to 13. The House passed it on Friday on a 310-118 vote.

"The Senate's vote today to pass my bipartisan bill to prevent any U.S. President from unilaterally withdrawing from NATO reaffirms U.S. support for this crucial alliance that is foundational for our national security," Kaine said in a statement after the Pentagon funding bill passed the Senate. "It also sends a strong message to authoritarians around the world that the free world remains unit

• Cheers 1

*edit* *edit 2*  Removed article as promised because it's quite lengthy and will just bloat the board's database and other board files.  Just leaving the New York Times link.  (Removed at 6PM PST)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ineptness of New York State is never-ending... 

The judge that is trying to kill some of Trump's businesses, may not have the power to actually do so.  You'd think that they would sort that huge tidbit out BEFORE a trial, not after.

Even so, I think Trump, in the end, is going to really feel the pain of the penalties imposed by this judge, or the appeals and/or NYS Supreme Courts whether he loses some of his businesses or not.

Although Dumb Jr. and Dumber Blonde Boy will be feeling it long after Trump is gone.  Ivanka still has $2 Billion in Saudi cash, so unless she ever sees a courtroom, she'll be fine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/14/nyregion/trump-fraud-trial-judge.html

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

Sorry to be a mini-mod @Sabrefan1 , but the real mods have asked us not to post long articles in their entirety. Just post the link and one or two pertinent passages. I(I think it's a cost thing)

As far as the article goes, I've seen a couple like this already, yet the always seem to mitigate their assertions by using words like "might" and "may". It seems the gist of the argument is that the banks knew they were being scammed, but went ahead anyway and profited anyway.....Kind of a "No harm, no foul" thing....

While that kind of makes sense, there are plenty of "crimes" on the books, where neither side is harmed. Buying and selling of marijuana for example, is still illegal in many states.....same with prostitution....

I think it's clear that the Trump team will appeal whatever amount fine Engoron ultimately decides on, although I'm not sure what court that would be. TBH, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the various levels of courts and circuits in the US legal system.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Sorry to be a mini-mod @Sabrefan1 , but the real mods have asked us not to post long articles in their entirety. Just post the link and one or two pertinent passages. I(I think it's a cost thing)

As far as the article goes, I've seen a couple like this already, yet the always seem to mitigate their assertions by using words like "might" and "may". It seems the gist of the argument is that the banks knew they were being scammed, but went ahead anyway and profited anyway.....Kind of a "No harm, no foul" thing....

While that kind of makes sense, there are plenty of "crimes" on the books, where neither side is harmed. Buying and selling of marijuana for example, is still illegal in many states.....same with prostitution....

I think it's clear that the Trump team will appeal whatever amount fine Engoron ultimately decides on, although I'm not sure what court that would be. TBH, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the various levels of courts and circuits in the US legal system.

Oh crap.  Thanks for the head's up man.  I didn't see that post.  I'll edit it down later today. 

Most, if not all, people here will get hit by a NY Times paywall if I just link it so I want people to get a chance to read it first before I 86 the article and just leave the link.

-----------------

I saw and posted the banks articles but this is a procedural thing.  The judge is looking to punish businesses that weren't involved in his grift.  A circuit court judge isn't allowed to do that.  It's akin to Alf killing a cat and then his wife goes to jail for the crime.  Thanks to the old US Supreme Court, corporations get to be people.

As for appealing.  Trump will appeal to the NYC district Appellate Court and then the NYS Supreme Court.  After that, if need be, he can try for appeals at the national courts, but I would be moderately surprised if they accepted a case that in it's essence is an internal private state matter, even if he does become president again.

So if it stays at just the state level.  Look at it like he has 3 strikes then he's done.

• Thanks 1

Sooooo.....it appears as though a binder full of highly classified information, related to Russian interference in the 2016 election went missing in the final days of the trump administration......

https://newrepublic.com/post/177606/binder-highly-classified-russian-intel-went-missing-trump

A 10-inch-thick binder of highly classified raw data regarding Russian election interference went missing in the final days of the Trump administration, a new report reveals.

The loss of the massive binder, which has yet to be found two years after it was first reported missing, included details on Russian agents that informed the government’s assessment that Russian President Vladimir Putin had worked to help Trump win the 2016 election, according to a sprawling CNN investigation.

Let me see if I can solve this "mystery".....a binder full of information that shows Putin got Trump elected in the first place goes missing while under Trump's care.....Trump can't stand the idea of people believing he didn't win on his own merits....Cassidy Hutchison claims she saw Mark meadows leave the White House with said binder.....

.....we'll probably never know what happened to it. :classic_rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Sooooo.....it appears as though a binder full of highly classified information, related to Russian interference in the 2016 election went missing in the final days of the trump administration......

https://newrepublic.com/post/177606/binder-highly-classified-russian-intel-went-missing-trump

Let me see if I can solve this "mystery".....a binder full of information that shows Putin got Trump elected in the first place goes missing while under Trump's care.....Trump can't stand the idea of people believing he didn't win on his own merits....Cassidy Hutchison claims she saw Mark meadows leave the White House with said binder.....

.....we'll probably never know what happened to it. :classic_rolleyes:

Meadows is fighting charges in Georgia so if he has anything and the feds put pressure on Georgia, that binder of papers could magically reappear after a deal is cut with Meadows and his attorneys.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Meadows is fighting charges in Georgia so if he has anything and the feds put pressure on Georgia, that binder of papers could magically reappear after a deal is cut with Meadows and his attorneys.

Yep. Here's hoping....

He's already denied having them, apparently so he'd have to reverse course on that..... But hopefully the prospect of a lengthy stay at the Crowbar Motel jogs his memory....

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I wonder where that binder went.  Was in the White House when TRUMP was packing up to leave.   Bedminster maybe?

A Binder on Highly Classified Russian Intel Went Missing Under Trump

Intelligence officials are sounding the alarms about the unredacted missing documents.

• Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I mean, it's not like he can really appeal the decision that he was liable, as he failed to provide information sought in subpoenas and essentially said he could no longer contest that he made false and defamatory statements about the victims.

About the only thing he could appeal is the award itself.  Thing is, if I was the victims here, I'd immediately file another claim over the statements that Rudy made outside the courtroom after Day 1 of the hearing.

He is so screwed.   GOOD

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1