US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not sure. They can keep this one in their back pocket if they need a ruling to dismiss the case if Smith is successful. 

Thomas is in the bag for sure, he'll do whatever the donors tell him. 

They are in a lifetime position.  I highly doubt that they care what happens to Trump. 

Like you alluded to with Clarence, the justices are much more concerned about satisfying the elite in society.  None of them are willing to risk their own skins for Trump or any other single politician.  They help the "little people" just enough as to keep their institution and seats secure.  It's been that way for a long time no matter who has had control.

As for the "elite", Haley is their preferred candidate right now, as was DeSantis before her.  They can't control Trump so, like last time, they'll only back him if he's the last one standing.

I'm not a fan of Trump as everyone knows, but there is more than a little politics involved in the timing of everything hitting him at once at the worst possible time.  That's the part of all of this that I don't like.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

They are in a lifetime position.  I highly doubt that they care what happens to Trump. 

Like you alluded to with Clarence, the justices are much more concerned about satisfying the elite in society.  None of them are willing to risk their own skins for Trump or any other single politician.  They help the "little people" just enough as to keep their institution and seats secure.  It's been that way for a long time no matter who has had control.

As for the "elite", Haley is their preferred candidate right now, as was DeSantis before her.  They can't control Trump so, like last time, they'll only back him if he's the last one standing.

I'm not a fan of Trump as everyone knows, but there is more than a little politics involved in the timing of everything hitting him at once at the worst possible time.  That's the part of all of this that I don't like.

I'm sure there is political timing involved, and it was a mistake imo. They should have gone to court as soon as possible on all the cases.

Like I said, I think he wins again for a few reasons. One being how much the republicans vote in a massive block, and two I think the "because Palestine" thing will hurt Biden with progressives and a few other groups, even though its ridiculous to blame him for it imo. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm sure there is political timing involved, and it was a mistake imo. They should have gone to court as soon as possible on all the cases.

Like I said, I think he wins again for a few reasons. One being how much the republicans vote in a massive block, and two I think the "because Palestine" thing will hurt Biden with progressives and a few other groups, even though its ridiculous to blame him for it imo. 

I'm still curious if "Trump fatigue" will kick in with voters sooner or later.

Leftists want Netflix to censor and remove the parts that run counter to what they want people to hear in certain segments of the new Ricky Gervais comedy special on Netflix.

The late Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/ricky-gervais-responds-to-petition-asking-netflix-to-remove-jokes-from-his-new-special-it-s-quite-meaningless/ar-AA1lSmNQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=692a9658671c4ea39443349603243384&ei=64

17 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Leftists want Netflix to censor and remove the parts that run counter to what they want people to hear in certain segments of the new Ricky Gervais comedy special on Netflix.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/ricky-gervais-responds-to-petition-asking-netflix-to-remove-jokes-from-his-new-special-it-s-quite-meaningless/ar-AA1lSmNQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=692a9658671c4ea39443349603243384&ei=64

I was going to smack my forehead and remind people about their remote control but then I saw the petition. If my math is correct that’s like .00375% of the population of the US, maybe the equivalent of a fart in downtown Tokyo. Social media gives a few loudmouths far too much voice.

IMG_0600.jpeg

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

22 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I was going to smack my forehead and remind people about their remote control but then I saw the petition. If my math is correct that’s like .00375% of the population of the US, maybe the equivalent of a fart in downtown Tokyo. Social media gives a few loudmouths far too much voice.

What gets me is that the special hasn't even come out yet.  If there's that many complaining before it airs, how many will complain once they see it.

Social media has people attacking and propagandizing things that very few people have even yet to actually see! 

Like I said, good ol' Joey from Berlin would be proud of the far leaning leftists.

14 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I don't see how, unless Haley can pull off a minor miracle. Or Trump throws a clot. 

It is said that Trump's base within the GOP is 30%. 70% of Americans do not want either Trump or Biden. That leaves room for Haley or a middle of the road Democrat to make a run. At some point I think the majority of Americans realize this division cannot continue and will unite behind a 3rd option. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is said that Trump's base within the GOP is 30%. 70% of Americans do not want either Trump or Biden. That leaves room for Haley or a middle of the road Democrat to make a run. At some point I think the majority of Americans realize this division cannot continue and will unite behind a 3rd option. 

I hope so. Voters really need a better set of choices.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I think we need new terms. The 1930s references don't really fit anymore.

We have people who want to censor anything now, from these people to those weird book burning Florida mom's .

I don't think 100 year old terms cover it anymore.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Kennedy? 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Gurn said:

There are the rare people that can, and more importantly do, say "Screw you- I don't care if you are offended. It is not illegal to offend people, and if you don't like it -change the fucking channel"

In today's time, George Carlin would rip a lot of people, not just a new asshole, but perhaps even a whole new body.

I don't agree with everything Dave Chapelle says-perhaps I don't agree with much Chapelle says; but if I disagree or get annoyed I can go and see Gabriel Iglesias instead. There is no need to picket outside Chapelle's theater.

Some really stupid people don't seem to realize that if you forbid others to speak, some other people will come along and forbid them to speak.

People have forgotten this, and imo it's nearly all attributable to social media. If someone calls you out in the "public square" it feels like you have to react instantly. But you don't. You can even reject the premise of whatever they are saying or just not give a shit at all. 

We haven't figured out how to get back to this yet, hopefully gen z can figure it out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I think you are right Jimmy.

There appears to be a psychological need in society to contact and social media provides an avenue. Engaging is more important than content, willingness to argue for the sake of arguing protracts the engagement. These pages are an example IMHO. By what method are positions crafted? Critical thought? I don't want to spend the time. Perhaps intellectually lazy but I have other 'mindless stuff' I have to attend too. Sorry but I am probably still voting for PP or his minion. 🙂  

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think we need new terms. The 1930s references don't really fit anymore.

We have people who want to censor anything now, from these people to those weird book burning Florida mom's .

I don't think 100 year old terms cover it anymore.

So you personally want to censor words that are still in use because you think it's too old?

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

🤣 No. 

I don't think the old terms correctly explain what's going on now, and layers old stuff on top.

Maybe historians will figure it out.

Actually I just wanted to mess with you when I saw that glaring opening.  I actually have no idea what you are saying.  🤣

Were you talking about the term, "leftist"?

• Haha 1