US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Agreed. But this isn't 1929, trump isn't Hitler (even if an admirer), etc.

I just feel like some terms are holding us back from breaking through our modern bs. 

Terms don't hold us back.  They have no will of their own.  People trying to force their own ideologies on society hold us back.  That's one of the 2 or 3 main ways that the Nazi's took over Germany.

It began with a soul crushing treaty that humiliated an entire country that was bereft of proper leadership.  Then came a party which promised to cure everything as long as you followed their ideology and believed what they believed.

That second part is very familiar and apropos for our current day situation.  There are right now 2 competing ideologies looking to control the world and to stamp out any dissent by any means necessary, including through the use of censorship.  You see it everywhere these days.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Terms don't hold us back.  They have no will of their own.  People trying to force their own ideologies on society hold us back.  That's one of the 2 or 3 main ways that the Nazi's took over Germany.

It began with a soul crushing treaty that humiliated an entire country that was bereft of proper leadership.  Then came a party which promised to cure everything as long as you followed their ideology and believed what they believed.

That second part is very familiar and apropos for our current day situation.  There are right now 2 competing ideologies looking to control the world and to stamp out any dissent by any means necessary, including through the use of censorship.  You see it everywhere these days.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree. For me, couching the current shenanigans in old terms limits how we view the present, and also shuts down debate quickly.

You're a nazi. No you are. And we're done.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We'll probably have to agree to disagree. For me, couching the current shenanigans in old terms limits how we view the present, and also shuts down debate quickly.

You're a nazi. No you are. And we're done.

Whereas I believe both sides have striking similarities to the beginnings of a totalitarian regime.  Right now they are vying for control.  I saw this kind of crap coming in my late teens (1992) which is one of the reasons why I've always been an Independent and never chose a party to belong to.

31 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Why are they so dishonest? It might have something to do with where 70% of their add revenue comes from.

Who was this show brought to you by?

This doesn't "vindicate" Kennedy....it just shows that he's yet another conspiracy theorist that believes Big Brother is coming for all of us. IMO, it would have been less embarrassing for him not to have the entire clip shown....

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Whereas I believe both sides have striking similarities to the beginnings of a totalitarian regime.  Right now they are vying for control.  I saw this kind of crap coming in my late teens (1992) which is one of the reasons why I've always been an Independent and never chose a party to belong to.

Could be the difference between living it vs being a northern spectator.

Edited by Bob Long

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Could be the difference between living it vs being a northern spectator.

I like to believe, thanks to the Constitution, the extreme will never happen.  There are people wanting to rewrite the Constitution.  They like to say that it is too old and outdated (sound familiar?).  Nevermind the fact that the ideas ensconced in it originated in Ancient Greece thousands of years ago.  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are not ideas with an expiration date.  They are timeless ideals and are part of what separate us from wild animals.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Punctuation
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

The problem is, Trump is going to win the nomination, so Haley's path to the presidency is to have a strong enough showing in the primaries that Trump picks her as a running mate. This would make her the favorite for the White House in 2028, unless Trump completely shits the bed (a likely scenario, IMHO) and the US electorate finally come to their senses.

Of course, it would also depend on who the Dems are running, but that's a problem for another day....Haley has to be viewing a term as Veep as her best shot of someday being POTUS.

As far as 70% OF people not wanting Trump or Biden, that's a useless statistic as far as I'm concerned. Trump vs Biden is going to be the choice....

So it comes down to two unpopular choices....one is a 4 times Indicted, twice impeached serial liar and racist, who has already pledged to engage in a campaign of revenge against perceived slights and attempt to pass legislation that would remove all obstacles (including government employees) to him doing whatever he wants.

On the other side, Joe is "too old".

How anyone can look at these two options as equally flawed is a mystery that I'll never be able to wrap my head around....

I am hoping that Haley will be a candidate based on her choice of VP. Actually the same option goes for Biden. Strong candidates for VP by either will undermine Trump. Count on Trump to say something really ignorant in Iowa or NH that will drive people to Haley. 

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

This doesn't "vindicate" Kennedy....it just shows that he's yet another conspiracy theorist that believes Big Brother is coming for all of us. IMO, it would have been less embarrassing for him not to have the entire clip shown....

Ya, the date kinda gives it away.  That was the time when there were major protests like the Freedumb rallies over vaccine mandates and covid policies.   Only tinfoilers dig this guy.

3 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

Why are they so dishonest? It might have something to do with where 70% of their add revenue comes from.

Who was this show brought to you by?

Now you've got me curious.   Where does 70% of their add revenue come from?

Edited by Satchmo
sp

@Bob Long

@Sabrefan1

So, here is my take on the US party system

There are very few, if any other countries with just 2 parties, and IMO, the Dems and the Reps are making a great error in embracing the extremes. The far left and the far right, are forcing the middle to expand IMHO.

IMO, the Middle in both parties are closer together than either extremes of either party to their middles .......I see this as an opening, long term

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

@Bob Long

@Sabrefan1

There are very few, if any other countries with just 2 parties, and IMO, the Dems and the Reps are making a great error in embracing the extremes. The far left and the far right, are forcing the middle to expand IMHO.

IMO, the Middle in both parties are closer together than either extremes of either party to their middles .......I see this as an opening, long term

totally agree, it just will people allow themselves to choose the middle? people say its "boring" but its what everyone wants once the fireworks are over. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Medicine Script GIF by NeighborlyNotary®

That's what I thought you were going to say.    Forgive me, because I know I can be overly fussy about numerical precision, but I bet it's not 70%.   I bet it's a high number though, just like everywhere else.    After a few hours of watching a Canucks game I've lost track of all the things I should ask my doctor about. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

After a few hours of watching a Canucks game I've lost track of all the things I should ask my doctor about. 

I'd say the odds of many people feeling the same way are high.

Let's consult the money line to see if we are both right.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

@Bob Long

@Sabrefan1

I don't necessarily disagree but I hear this a lot. I'm curious what elements of the extreme left are we talking about? Specifically where in politics has any extreme left policy taken place, or for that matter gotten significant support enough to push people further to the right?

There are many examples of the extreme right currently in politics, book bans, abortion bans, gender affirming care bans, Jesus in school. What is the equivalent on the liberal side of politics that we should all fear? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I don't necessarily disagree but I hear this a lot. I'm curious what elements of the extreme left are we talking about? Specifically where in politics has any extreme left policy taken place, or for that matter gotten significant support enough to push people further to the right?

There are many examples of the extreme right currently in politics, book bans, abortion bans, gender affirming care bans, Jesus in school. What is the equivalent on the liberal side of politics that we should all fear? 

I'd say it's no book bans (as well as the continued publication of the very books that continue to be banned), no abortion bans, gender affirming care, and no Jesus in school. 

That plus the firm belief that the left want to take your guns, make you run your pickup truck on electricity, and open the nation's borders to no end of bad hombres. 

There are also some who will say that there is no left, only far left, and that they are all child molesting Satan worshippers (and possibly lizards).

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

I'd say it's no book bans (as well as the continued publication of the very books that continue to be banned), no abortion bans, gender affirming care, and no Jesus in school. 

That plus the firm belief that the left want to take your guns, make you run your pickup truck on electricity, and open the nation's borders to no end of bad hombres. 

There are also some who will say that there is no left, only far left, and that they are all child molesting Satan worshippers (and possibly lizards).

Despite the fact that the right is trying to put a child molester back in the White House.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Despite the fact that the right is trying to put a child molester back in the White House.

I have a strong dislike for Teflon Donald but I'm not convinced he could be called a child molester.    I could make a long list of his transgressions but I've yet to see proof of that one.