US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Not only is Biden doing better on the economy than right wing media would have you believe....he's doing better on crime, too:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-murder-rate-dropped-by-13-percent-in-2023

Despite prevailing concerns about rising crime rates, preliminary data suggests that murder rates across the US declined by 13% in 2023, ABC News reports.

As 2023 draws to a close, the US is about to witness unprecedented crime figures based on preliminary data from law enforcement agencies.

The anticipated decrease would signify the nation's largest-ever drop in homicides.

Cities across the country are experiencing a significant reduction in homicides and other violent crimes.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I want to see who is on it....Gates...Clinton...Trump...other politicians?  They all could be pedos.

Yes for sure if there is any kind of proof other than innuendo by association I’m all for having them exposed and prosecuted.

There have been people like Stephen Hawking though who attended events at the island who are going to be unnecessarily smeared.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not only is Biden doing better on the economy than right wing media would have you believe....he's doing better on crime, too:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-murder-rate-dropped-by-13-percent-in-2023

It's not surprising. The economy does better under Democrats generally.

Source:

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Yes for sure if there is any kind of proof other than innuendo by association I’m all for having them exposed and prosecuted.

There have been people like Stephen Hawking though who attended events at the island who are going to be unnecessarily smeared.

Two other unnamed high profile people too. What other events did they have there?

1 hour ago, 112 said:

It's not surprising. The economy does better under Democrats generally.

Source:

This is clearly EI

13 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Two other unnamed high profile people too. What other events did they have there?

This is clearly EI

"The truth doesn't matter as long as I feel validated."

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Green Day’s performance on “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” has a lot of Donald Trump supporters seeing red.

During the band’s performance on New Year’s Eve, lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong changed a line from its hit “American Idiot” from “I’m not a part of a redneck agenda” to “I’m not a part of the MAGA agenda.”

As you can see from the clip below that the crowd cheered at the lyric change.

GCuiFzFXgAEdqfz.png.a2bb9c103566c83130c5a330c9fb7451.pngGCuiFzFXgAEdqfz.png.a2bb9c103566c83130c5a330c9fb7451.png

The usual MAGA crowd (Sorbo, Loomer, Posobiec etc) pissing their pants about this.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Green Day’s performance on “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” has a lot of Donald Trump supporters seeing red.

During the band’s performance on New Year’s Eve, lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong changed a line from its hit “American Idiot” from “I’m not a part of a redneck agenda” to “I’m not a part of the MAGA agenda.”

As you can see from the clip below that the crowd cheered at the lyric change.

GCuiFzFXgAEdqfz.png.a2bb9c103566c83130c5a330c9fb7451.pngGCuiFzFXgAEdqfz.png.a2bb9c103566c83130c5a330c9fb7451.png

The usual MAGA crowd (Sorbo, Loomer, Posobiec etc) pissing their pants about this.

It's pretty funny that MAGAts are complaining about Billie Joe  "inserting politics" into American Idiot...

The song is and always has been a political commentary from a politically active band.....:picard:

It's kind of reminiscent of macho athletes playing "We are the Champions", not realizing that it's a gay anthem....:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On another note, I found it interesting that Chief Justice John Roberts listed AI as the major challenge that SCOTUS faces in the year to come.....

Not the fact that one of his justices is accepting bribes from a mega rich donor who has a case in front of the court, nor the fact that this same Justice has not recused himself from a case about Trump's claim of immunity for his actions on Jan 6th, despite the fact that his wife attempted to enable the overturning of the election.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It's pretty funny that MAGAts are complaining about Billie Joe  "inserting politics" into American Idiot...

The song is and always has been a political commentary from a politically active band.....:picard:

It's kind of reminiscent of macho athletes playing "We are the Champions", not realizing that it's a gay anthem....:classic_rolleyes:

Or people thinking Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is a patriotic song because they never learned any part other than the chorus.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Or people thinking Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is a patriotic song because they never learned any part other than the chorus.

Or Lenny Kravitz, covering 'American Woman"

"Oh, he's singing about how great our women are"

NO-he isn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Or Lenny Kravitz, covering 'American Woman"

"Oh, he's singing about how great our women are"

NO-he isn't.

I saw Burton Cummings live several years back and he told the whole story before playing it....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I saw Burton Cummings live several years back and he told the whole story before playing it....

Made up- on the stage, because of a broken guitar string.

At least that's how Randy tells it , during his 'Every song tells a story ' tour.

I think this happened after they were told by an American gas jockey to get out of the states before they got 'drafted' into another east asia war.

They were on their way to gig down in the states, were told to go to a building, by the border guard, but stopped for gas between the border and the building.

Gas guy tells them not to enter the building, but drive 20 miles to the next border crossing and go back to Canada, till the war was over.

Gas jockey  had one son killed over seas, and took a liking to those Canadian kids, so told them to go home!

Amazing how thoughts can percolate in your head, for month or years, then appear in coherent form.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I remember you posting about Tom Morello getting heat for Rage Against the Machine being too political.

Too funny...what machine did people think they were raging against?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Republican logic

Fox News Guest Claims Minimum Wage Hikes Could Lead to $15 Big Macs

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-guest-claims-minimum-wage-hikes-could-lead-to-15-big-macs/

Well, it could help with that countries obesity problem. 

Oh and help the planet due to less rain forest being turned to farm lands for the McCows. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/30/2023 at 8:53 PM, Northern_Nuck said:

I think trying to get people with that drive and intelligence that work that hard early on should be the people we achieve to lead society. 

I think, for the most part, the people who are now sitting in elected positions WERE those people. They got elected, got experienced and kept on going. Funny things happen as you get older; you don't get dumber, you get smarter, you don't get more unaware, you get wiser, you handle things better because most of the bad things you've lived already and know how it goes. There are two types of people over 50: those who are eternally curious and keep on learning about everything, and those who spend most of their time in a bubble watching cable news and forming strong beliefs that confirm their biases. They are not interested in new or different. Those in the first group can keep on being strong productive leaders indefinitely. Those in the second group should have strict term limits. None would be a good number. All of which is a longwinded way of saying that the idea that 50 should be some kind of eff-off date is a really bad one. Competence should be the criterion, not some arbitrary age limit.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I remember you posting about Tom Morello getting heat for Rage Against the Machine being too political.

Too funny...what machine did people think they were raging against?

Those of us who work in IT are pretty sure it's a printer....

EDIT: Oops. I see someone already got there.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Well, it could help with that countries obesity problem. 

Oh and help the planet due to less rain forest being turned to farm lands for the McCows. 

lol. My first job in 1979 as a 15 year old was mopping hurl from the parking lot of McDs on Robson and Bidwell. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1