US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

I doubt that it would surprise anyone to learn that the so-called "Freedom Cucus" is upset that Speaker Mike Johnson has agreed to a deal to keep the government funded:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/suicide-for-the-gop-republicans-threatening-the-career-of-mike-johnson-over-budget-deal/ar-AA1mEO4a?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=19dfe51ff77d470f89d5b98bd82b512a&ei=20

Less than three months since US Rep. Mike Johnson (R-LA) took control of the speakership, House Republicans are considering his removal over the tentative budget deal he cut with Democrats Sunday. His predecessor, US Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), was removed in September over a bipartisan deal as well.

On Monday, the House Freedom Caucus wrote on X (formerly Twitter), "It's even worse than we thought. Don't believe the spin. Once you break through typical Washington math, the true total programmatic spending level is $1.658 trillion — not $1.59 trillion. This is total failure."

The bottom line here, is that the Freedom Caucus wants a government shutdown, because they think the public will blame the Biden administration for it.

They're wrong about that, but when you consider the complete lack of morals these assholes are displaying, it's telling. House Republicans are more than happy to see millions of American government workers go without their paychecks, just so they can make JB look bad. To make the move even more repulsive, members of Congress will continue to be paid if and when a shutdown happens....

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump Lawyer Argues Presidents CAN Order Seal Team 6 To Assassinate Rivals In Stunning Appeals Courtroom Exchange

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-lawyer-argues-presidents-can-order-seal-team-6-to-assassinate-rivals-in-stunning-appeals-exchange/

I am no Trump defender but I think that headline is a bit over the top and does not fairly describe the actual conversation.  

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Those who like to slander people and call them pedophiles so easily might do well to remember to retract and apologize even though an apology is never enough.

Stick around until the end to see Guillermo debunk the magnet theory.

Describes 1 person in this thread also 😉

• Haha 2

Fox News Hosts Claim Michelle Obama Isn’t Helping Biden’s Campaign Because ‘She Wants To Run’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/fox-news-hosts-claim-michelle-obama-isnt-helping-bidens-campaign-because-she-wants-to-run/

In 2022, BBC interviewer Naga Munchetty asked Mrs. Obama: “Which question do you detest being asked?”

“Are you going to run for president?” she said.

“Answer?” asked Munchetty.

I detest it,” she replied. “No, I am not going to run.”

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

DeSantis Sharpens Attacks On Trump By Calling Out Multiple ‘Really Head-Scratching’ Moments From Rallies

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/desantis-sharpens-attacks-on-trump-by-calling-out-multiple-really-head-scratching-moments-from-rallies/

It's great that Darth Santis (and to an extent, Nikki Haley) is starting to go after Trump head on, but my question is "why did it take you so long?"

You all had multiple debates and interviews where you could have hammered him on this stuff, but you were too much of a coward to do so. If you weren't shooting for the Veep position all along, you've pretty much pissed your chance away....

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump Lawyer Argues Presidents CAN Order Seal Team 6 To Assassinate Rivals In Stunning Appeals Courtroom Exchange

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-lawyer-argues-presidents-can-order-seal-team-6-to-assassinate-rivals-in-stunning-appeals-exchange/

"Listening to the appellate court hearing on Trump's immunity claim," wrote longtime newspaper editor Mark Jacobs. "Good lord, his lawyer is a dipshit."

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It's great that Darth Santis (and to an extent, Nikki Haley) is starting to go after Trump head on, but my question is "why did it take you so long?"

You all had multiple debates and interviews where you could have hammered him on this stuff, but you were too much of a coward to do so. If you weren't shooting for the Veep position all along, you've pretty much pissed your chance away....

Got to pander to the crazies if they are going to have any chance of winning. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

@Sapper Can you elaborate on the 18 people emailing the Sask government? I must have missed that story somehow....

He is referring to the Sask. government policy on LGBT kids in schools. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

@Sapper Can you elaborate on the 18 people emailing the Sask government? I must have missed that story somehow....

The Saskatchewan government recieved 18 emails requesting immediate action on pronouns and bring in parental rights.

This was used for them to pass their parental rights bill and once the courts said hey wait a minute .... They envoked the not withstanding clause of the constitution to force it into law.

A mere 18 emails ....  

The tie to trump.is.his movement no matter which country follows it ... Sets the tone of how to force the extreme views into mainstream.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Knowing Saskatchewan as I do, that doesn't surprise me. When I did my traveling musician thing back in the 80's, we had a saying:

"It's 7:00 pm in Vancouver, 10:00 pm in Montreal, 10:30 in St John's and 1967 in Regina".....

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Cheers 1

Getting back to US Politics, with the expulsion of George Santos and looming retirements of GQP reps, I expect them to do absolutely nothing about this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/gop-accused-of-yet-another-scandal-as-ethics-complaint-targets-congressman/ar-AA1mI5TS?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ffa2a25238b644c4b5f14954bf097aab&ei=22

A nonpartisan watchdog group has asked for a federal investigation of Rep. Andy Ogles (R-TN) over major discrepancies in his financial disclosures.

The Campaign Legal Center (CLC) compared the Tennessee Republican to disgraced former congressman George Santos (R-NY) in a complaint filed Tuesday with the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) alleging that Ogles had misrepresented his background and failed to properly report personal loans to his campaign, reported WTVF-TV.

Meanwhile, Gym Jordan, James Comer and the rest of the Klown Kar Kommission will continue to babble on about the "Biden crime family"....:classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

So if he wins his immunity case over this, Biden should assemble a Seal Team 6 and take out Trump!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Here's something for those who says it's Democrats trying to keep Bone Spurs out of the Oval Office:

https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/republican-former-members-of-congress-trump-case

“EQUAL JUSTICE BEFORE THE LAW” IS A BEDROCK PRINCIPLE of our legal system and our democracy. It is rooted in a fundamental proposition of this country’s founding: That we are a nation of laws, not of men, and accordingly no man is above the law.

As former members of Congress, all of us Republicans, we dedicated ourselves to upholding this principle. And we are now deeply concerned that former President Donald Trump’s response to the ongoing criminal prosecutions against him are testing it—requiring the U.S. Supreme Court to act swiftly to meet the moment. In no case is this more true than in Special Counsel Jack Smith’s prosecution of Trump for his attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election. In this case, the federal courts are confronted with Trump’s gambit to escape accountability altogether: assert an unprecedented claim of absolute presidential immunity from criminal prosecution and use the appellate process to delay the trial until after the November election.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

So if he wins his immunity case over this, Biden should assemble a Seal Team 6 and take out Trump!

And there will be much rejoicing and dancing in the streets!!!

Excited Seinfeld GIF

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1