US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I wish Brian Kilmeade asked me if the republican party is racist.....

I'd tell him the story about how a mother and her two children drowned because of a new policy enacted by Greg Abbott that blocked Border Patrol Agents from rendering aid:

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/migrants-drown-rio-grande-texas-blocks-border-patrol-rescue/

This is the part where the "both sides" crowd tell us how there is "no difference" between the Democrats and Republicans....:classic_dry:

Of course Pugs and Rats are different. 

19 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

So, I’m going to say something that may irk those that know me. 

Here we go…

I think the Republicans have a winning issue with border security. 

No country, even the US, can allow a lawless border. 

People who are desperate and do desperate things, like crossing a River with their kid are taking their lives in their own hands. 

Should the Dems try to politically profit off that sad news? No. Should the Repubs, who are in Control of Congress, use it as a means to profit either? No. 

The Southern Border needs to be shut. 

Immigration policies also need to be adjusted in the scope of security and common sense. 

It’s a lot to unpack. 

As a person who sided with fairness and integrity I wanted to proffer my two cents. 

Pushback is certainly welcome. Respectful discussion is encouraged. 

Except the border isn't wide open.  Biden even continued a number of TRUMP policies when he took over.  If the border was wide open, then there wouldn't be apprehensions and deportation. 

They even had a supplemental funding bill for billions in funds adding to border agents and such.  One QOP member gave up the game when he said he wouldn't vote for it because it would give Joe a win.

Obama set records for deportations.  

It's only an issue because the QOP, like our CONs, only have fear and racism.   It's always the immigrants.  Irish and Italians got it when they came over in droves.  It's history repeated.

Also, it needs to be said.  Closing the southern border isn't going to really solve things as a significant percentage of illegals entered the US legally. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Except the border isn't wide open.  Biden even continued a number of TRUMP policies when he took over.  If the border was wide open, then there wouldn't be apprehensions and deportation. 

They even had a supplemental funding bill for billions in funds adding to border agents and such.  One QOP member gave up the game when he said he wouldn't vote for it because it would give Joe a win.

Obama set records for deportations.  

It's only an issue because the QOP, like our CONs, only have fear and racism.   It's always the immigrants.  Irish and Italians got it when they came over in droves.  It's history repeated.

Also, it needs to be said.  Closing the southern border isn't going to really solve things as a significant percentage of illegals entered the US legally. 

I respectfully disagree on the point that the Southern Border isn’t wide open. 

It’s quite clear that the US doesn’t have a clear stoppage of illegal immigrants crossing from Mexico into the US. 

I don’t fault the people trying. I fault the government for making it seem that the vast border is unprotected, literally and politically. 

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I wish Brian Kilmeade asked me if the republican party is racist.....

I'd tell him the story about how a mother and her two children drowned because of a new policy enacted by Greg Abbott that blocked Border Patrol Agents from rendering aid:

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/migrants-drown-rio-grande-texas-blocks-border-patrol-rescue/

This is the part where the "both sides" crowd tell us how there is "no difference" between the Democrats and Republicans....:classic_dry:

Texas governor has been bussing migrants to Chicago daily, thus far they have sent 30 000 plus.

Many of whom have been living in tents throughout the city.

Now you really have to be a piece of shit to send people right now, when temperatures are bellow zero with windchill of 20-30 bellow zero.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

She could probably torch him 6 ways to Sunday but she won't. She either doesn't have the guts or like everyone else in that party is afraid of the ground level nut cases they've normalized.

She like the others are hoping the courts take care of him. It is a weird position to have to take, but that's what they allowed their party to turn into.

It's easier for me to understand that, than people on the left in the US not bothering to vote.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

She like the others are hoping the courts take care of him. It is a weird position to have to take, but that's what they allowed their party to turn into.

It's easier for me to understand that, than people on the left in the US not bothering to vote.

IMHO Haley has to beat Trump in New Hampshire and follow that with a win in South Carolina. If she does that she might have anti Trump supporters swing her way. Maybe a centre independent like Joe Manchin? If a centre independent ticket formed up with both Dems and GOP it could win. 

It would not be popular with some Dems but if Biden dropped Harris as VP he could swing things in his favor based on his choice. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

She could probably torch him 6 ways to Sunday but she won't. She either doesn't have the guts or like everyone else in that party is afraid of the ground level nut cases they've normalized.

Plus she has to leave the door open if he wins, that VP slot looks mighty appealing to her.

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Haley has to beat Trump in New Hampshire and follow that with a win in South Carolina. If she does that she might have anti Trump supporters swing her way. Maybe a centre independent like Joe Manchin? If a centre independent ticket formed up with both Dems and GOP it could win. 

It would not be popular with some Dems but if Biden dropped Harris as VP he could swing things in his favor based on his choice. 

Imo you are bang on, Biden does need to drop Harris somehow, otherwise I think Trump wins (assuming he delays the courts, etc) 

9 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Texas governor has been bussing migrants to Chicago daily, thus far they have sent 30 000 plus.

Many of whom have been living in tents throughout the city.

Now you really have to be a piece of shit to send people right now, when temperatures are bellow zero with windchill of 20-30 bellow zero.

I'm not religious myself, but many of these right wing politicians are (or claim to be)....

I was raised in a Catholic household, so I have an idea of what Christianity is all about and I have to wonder what a POS like Abbott thinks of how his meeting with St. Peter is going to go...

"Uh Greg, we said love thy neighbor. Not fix it so that women and children drown."

"But Saint Peter! We were making America great again!"

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm not religious myself, but many of these right wing politicians are (or claim to be)....

I was raised in a Catholic household, so I have an idea of what Christianity is all about and I have to wonder what a POS like Abbott thinks of how his meeting with St. Peter is going to go...

"Uh Greg, we said love thy neighbor. Not fix it so that women and children drown."

"Claim to be" is the correct phrase.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

"Claim to be" is the correct phrase.

I guess, but I have a hard time believing that all of the evangelicals that support Trumpian policies are fake Christians.....I just think they've allowed themselves to believe in a twisted version of the faith....much like suicide bombers and people who commit mass murder by flying p[lanes into tall buildings....

....and if I'm wrong about my religious skepticism, these folks should be in for an unpleasant surprise, come judgement day....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess, but I have a hard time believing that all of the evangelicals that support Trumpian policies are fake Christians.....I just think they've allowed themselves to believe in a twisted version of the faith....much like suicide bombers and people who commit mass murder by flying p[lanes into tall buildings....

....and if I'm wrong about my religious skepticism, these folks should be in for an unpleasant surprise, come judgement day....

Evangelicals are as fake as religion gets imo.  They all know it's an extreme warped version of Christianity, and that's saying something. No where in what Jesus said can you support someone like Trump.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I don’t think dropping off migrants in the streets of frozen tundra constitutes as a good deed.

Not to mention that these buses have been literally dropping people off anywhere.

No coordination, the other day right by my parents house. Entire buss just got let out, these people didn’t even know where they were. Not to mention leaving them in dangerous parts of Chicago. They have been doing the same things to N.Y.C

Cheap populist tactics of sticking it to the sanctuary cities.

Unfortunately that kind of stuff still works and gets you votes in this country. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If it weren't for collateral damage, I'd be ok with his plane suddenly disassembling at 35,000 feet.

Pack it full of his whole bloodline and cronies and their bloodline. I wouldn't care one iota about the innocents. 

3 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

Guessing you missed the rest of the speech huh?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/donald-trump-president-michael-moore-warning-biggest-f-you-in-human-history-a7406311.html

Here, let me get that for you

“It will feel good. For a day, or maybe a week. Possibly a month. And then. Like the Brits, who wanted to send a message, so they voted to leave Europe only to find out that if you vote to leave Europe you, actually have to leave Europe.

“And now they regret it. All the Ohioans, Pennsylvanians, Michiganders and Wisconsinites of Middle England, right, they all voted to leave and now they regret it.

“And over four million of them signed a petition to have a do-over, they want another election, but It's not going to happen. Because you used the ballot as an anger management tool. And now you're f****d. And the rest of Europe. They're like, Bye Felicia.

“So when the rightfully angry people of Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin find out after a few months in office that President Trump wasn’t going to do a damn thing for them, it will be too late to do anything about it.

“But I get it, you wanted to send a message, and righteous anger, justifiable anger. Well, that’s you set. Goodnight America. You’ve just elected the last president of the United States."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

A little taste of the crazy that is the Michigan QOP.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/bank-michigan-gop-defaulted-500k-loan-hasnt-made-payment-months?amp

Bank: Michigan GOP defaulted on $500K loan, hasn’t made payment in months

• Michigan GOP has failed to make loan payments for more than 120 days and ignored a demand letter, according to Comerica Bank
  • The state party is attempting to sell its former headquarters and filed suit against the bank and current owners
  • Financial woes have spurred efforts to remove Chair Kristian Karamo, who has refused to recognize results of ‘illegal’ vote

LANSING — The Michigan Republican Party is in default on a $500,000 loan and ignored a recent demand for immediate payment, according to a new court filing from Comerica Bank. 

“The MRP has not responded to the Demand Letter and, as of the date of this Motion, has been in default for over 120 days,” bank attorneys wrote in an Ingham County Circuit Court response as the state party seeks control of its former headquarters for potential sale.

The bank’s renewed notice of default, dated Dec. 12, detailed more than $10,000 in accrued interest and $707 in late fines for missed payments on the $509,009 loan principal. 

It’s the latest evidence of financial struggles for the Michigan GOP, which is mired in a leadership dispute fueled in part by the fundraising woes of Kristina Karamo, who was elected as party chair in February 2023. 

As the Feb. 27 state presidential primary nears, Karamo insists she’s still in charge of the party and deemed a recent vote by a faction of party leaders to remove her as “illegal.”

She has said she inherited a financial mess and wants to sell the party’s former headquarters in Lansing to relieve debt she says was inherited from the administration of her predecessor, Ann Arbor real estate magnate Ron Weiser. 

The Michigan GOP last month sued Comerica and The Michigan Republican Party Trust, which includes former party chairs who have managed the building that is formally owned by a separate entity, Seymour Street LLC. 

Comerica disclosed the Michigan GOP’s latest default notice in a response filing, asking a judge to dismiss the bank from what it’s attorneys called a “longwinded and perplexing complaint” that should be limited to the state party and building owners.

Attorneys for the MRP Trust, meanwhile, have also requested dismissal of the case, along with sanctions against Karamo and the Michigan Republican Party’s state committee. 

The Karamo administration did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the Comerica disclosures. 

But her state party general counsel, Dan Hartman, defended the litigation in a lengthy Zoom meeting for Michigan GOP delegates. 

The lawsuit seeks to “clarify” who owns the building and whether the debt is “legitimate,” Hartman said, calling it a “good faith” dispute courts should resolve.

“It’s not a frivolous claim,” Hartman told fellow Republicans. “This is my responsibility and fiduciary duty as general counsel to seek clarity, because the records that I have received are inconsistent.”

• Thanks 2