US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah Biden should be in a nursing home but at least he's sort of harmless.

It's like having a choice between a "good drunk" vs a "mean spirited degenerate drunk" IMHO 

Well Done Reaction GIF

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 24K said:

Yeah cold War conditioning really did a number on gen x. 

Funny enough, economy always does better under Dems compared to under the GOP in recent history. 

As a member of gen x I prefer to blame boomers.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I wonder if he was promised anything.  Like VP

DeSanctimonious said he didn’t want the job. It wouldn’t surprise me if he accepted it in hopes that the Dotard choked on a burger, giving him the top job.

The Donnie and Ronnie show. What could possibly go wrong?

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"Person, Wmona, Man, Camera TV" - Dotard:  Mensa can't keep me out of their club now! 🤣

Takes a lack of self awareness to brag about winning wars, when you got you daddy to pay off a doctor and keep you out of fighting in one yourself......Bone Spurs....

BTW: I love how Americans talk about how they won those wars....when the rest of us were there fighting years before they decided to pitch in....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Translation: Trump - My strategy is to act like a 7 year old.

Surprised to see any push back from a FOX reporter.

He has always looked ridiculous with his bronzer but omfg does he look bad there. 

• Cheers 1

If and when he returns to the White House, Donald Dotard wants to impose a 10% tariff on all goods imported into the US....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/markets/trump-s-proposed-10-tariff-plan-would-shake-up-every-asset-class-strategist-says/ar-BB1h4S0F?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=fd34b4c268c541fabb1ed2d243d1b3a7&ei=51

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said earlier this month that the plan would "raise the cost of a wide variety of goods that American businesses and consumers rely on," though she noted that tariffs are appropriate "in some cases."

Criticism of the policy has been relatively bipartisan. The Tax Foundation think tank highlights that such a tariff would effectively raise taxes on U.S. consumers by more than $300 billion a year, along with triggering retaliatory tax increases by international trade partners on U.S. exports.

The center-right American Action Forum estimated, based on the assumption that trading partners would retaliate, that the policy would result in a 0.31% ($62 billion) decrease to U.S. GDP, making customers worse off and decreasing U.S. welfare by $123.3 billion.

This so-called "Business expert" still doesn't understand that it's the importers who pay the tariffs, not the exporters....:picard:

BTW: If this happens with Canada (which it will) it will be yet another example of Trump wiping his fat ass with the NAFTA agreement. (or whatever stupid name he came up with for it)

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If and when he returns to the White House, Donald Dotard wants to impose a 10% tariff on all goods imported into the US....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/markets/trump-s-proposed-10-tariff-plan-would-shake-up-every-asset-class-strategist-says/ar-BB1h4S0F?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=fd34b4c268c541fabb1ed2d243d1b3a7&ei=51

This so-called "Business expert" still doesn't understand that it's the importers who pay the tariffs, not the exporters....:picard:

BTW: If this happens with Canada (which it will) it will be yet another example of Trump wiping his fat ass with the NAFTA agreement. (or whatever stupid name he came up with for it)

Lol and he said Biden inflation was high. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Takes a lack of self awareness to brag about winning wars, when you got you daddy to pay off a doctor and keep you out of fighting in one yourself......Bone Spurs....

BTW: I love how Americans talk about how they won those wars....when the rest of us were there fighting years before they decided to pitch in....

I did not realize you were a WW2 vet. 🙂 Sorry, but for the Americans I doubt WW1 or WW2 would have ended in victory. 

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I did not realize you were a WW2 vet. 🙂 Sorry, but for the Americans I doubt WW1 or WW2 would have ended in victory. 

You might be right.   But aren't you tired of all the comments that have come out of the US over the years that imply they did it all alone?

I don't know how your dad felt about that but I know it drove my dad nuts.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

#1: Nice pedantic opening comment.

#2: Do you think they would have won it by themselves? Because that's the impression people like Donald Trump give. As @Satchmo says, it might not be irritating to you, but I see it as insulting to those from other countries who fought.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

WWII might have ended with a fully Communist Europe, but that's a discussion for another thread.

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

#1: Nice pedantic opening comment.

#2: Do you think they would have won it by themselves? Because that's the impression people like Donald Trump give. As @Satchmo says, it might not be irritating to you, but I see it as insulting to those from other countries who fought.

I don't read or watch Trump stuff.

My comment was strictly from my point of view and the history I have read. I understand that some Americans can be boastful when they discuss their contributions to WW2. From my perspective the USA basically fought the Japanese in the Pacific, armed and supplied the Red Army, and put 16.1 million in uniform. I am not saying they were better fighters. The sheer scope of the American war effort was staggering. 

Check out the Ken Burns piece for PBS called "The War" 

Americans produced:

Tanks          89 000

Artillery     193 000

Airplanes  300 000

Submarines      260

General John Pershing of WW 1 fame said "logistics wins wars" and WW 2 certainly bore that out. 

• Cheers 1