US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

16 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Noooo...

My point is that the American public doesn't care about that dinner and if Trump wins that will be obvious proof. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jesus man

It absolutely will not. It will just mean that there are other things they care about more.

If voters really "don't care" about Trump sitting down to dinner with a known White Supremacist, (and believe me, you're one of the very few who doesn't know who Nick Fuentes is) then they are even more morally bankrupt than we thought.

While this might be true for the MAGA crowd, there are millions of other Trump voters who hold their nose and vote for him because they want to outlaw abortion, or keep Mexicans out of the US, or boost their portfolios at the cost of social programs.....

People definitely care about a candidate for POTUS associating with a noted (and proud of it) Nazi sympathizer....it just remains to be seen if they care enough. Voting for Trump does not "prove" they don't care.....

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

My end game is trying to figure out the reasons why anyone would be on Trump's side.    I can see why someone might not like Biden but I am completely baffled by Trump supporters and their reasons for doing so.

I love that because I disagree with your opinion I'm a trump supporter. Politics have become sadly tribal. No debates anymore.

Not that it's relevant and maybe won't even believe me but whatever I don't care, I actually voted for Justin Trudeau the first time he ran.

I'm just sick of the hypocrisy 

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It absolutely will not. It will just mean that there are other things they care about more.

If voters really "don't care" about Trump sitting down to dinner with a known White Supremacist, (and believe me, you're one of the very few who doesn't know who Nick Fuentes is) then they are even more morally bankrupt than we thought.

While this might be true for the MAGA crowd, there are millions of other Trump voters who hold their nose and vote for him because they want to outlaw abortion, or keep Mexicans out of the US, or boost their portfolios at the cost of social programs.....

People definitely care about a candidate for POTUS associating with a noted (and proud of it) Nazi sympathizer....it just remains to be seen if they care enough. Voting for Trump does not "prove" they don't care.....

The only people who know who that dude is are people who spend all day on twitter.

The rest I'm not even going to address 

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

I love that because I disagree with your opinion I'm a trump supporter. Politics have become sadly tribal. No debates anymore.

Not that it's relevant and maybe won't even believe me but whatever I don't care, I actually voted for Justin Trudeau the first time he ran.

I'm just sick of the hypocrisy 

So you are only out to combat hypocrisy?   I'll keep that in mind in future conversations.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

The only people who know who that dude is are people who spend all day on twitter.

I knew who he was and don't even have a Twitter account.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I knew who he was and don't even have a Twitter account.  

K so the average person who doesn't spend all day on social media or a political board on a hockey forum. The average day to day American just trying to get through their 9-5 ain't gonna have a god damn clue who that dweeb is

I.e most voters

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

K so the average person who doesn't spend all day on social media or a political board on a hockey forum. The average day to day American just trying to get through their 9-5 ain't gonna have a god damn clue who that dweeb is

I.e most voters

Just because you don't know who he is, it doesn't mean most others are the same way as you.

Truth be told, I don't know what percentage of people know who the guy is, but I'm not going to pretend to think I know.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Incorrect.

I don't have a Twitter account and never have. I was well aware of who NF is, because when that meeting happened, it was all over the news. Even outlets like Vox and The Washington Examiner reported on it.

That meeting aside, Fuentes is a well known right-wing provocateur. His name has come up in political discussions ever since the 2016 election normalized his brand of political activism.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Trump took the stand this afternoon. This was pretty much the extent of his testimony. I think it's safe to say Habba sucks as an attorney. Hopefully the points she picked up in the swimsuit portion will make up for the shitty lawyering.

Apropos of nothing, but why bother with the asterisk instead of the letter "A".....do they really think people will be unable to figure out what that word is? :picard:

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The left poked the brownish-orange bear and he's p*ssed off.  Besides, these are mostly the same exact things he said before he was elected the first time.  People against Trump are drawing from the same playbook they did back then.  Obfuscate and live in denial up until history repeats itself and he is re-elected.

This is all dependent on if SCOTUS saves Trump from getting booted off of state ballets.  The only reason Nikki Haley is still running on the Republican ticket.  She polls even better against Biden than Trump does.

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The left poked the brownish-orange bear and he's p*ssed off.  Besides, these are mostly the same exact things he said before he was elected the first time.  People against Trump are drawing from the same playbook they did back then.  Obfuscate and live in denial up until history repeats itself and he is re-elected.

This is all dependent on if SCOTUS saves Trump from getting booted off of state ballets.  The only reason Nikki Haley is still running on the Republican ticket.  She polls even better against Biden than Trump does.

Please expand on this.   In what way are those two things being done?

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Haley and Trump are proof the Republicans are going to have a hard time winning a general election. Haley represents the centrists in the party who don't want Trump. Trump represents the MAGA crowd. The MAGA crowd is not going to vote for Haley. The centrist crowd is not going to vote for Trump. Yet, the Republicans need both crowds to win the general election.

That being said, no one should be using any of this as an excuse to become lazy and think the Republicans are not a threat at all. A lot can happen between now and the election after all. So while we shouldn't obfuscate and "live in denial", it's not really denial given you just have to look at the Republican party itself to see that they have issues and it's up to the democrats to take advantage of those issues.

Either way, right now the democrats are in a much better state than the republicans, and that's even with having an unpopular Biden.

Edited by The Lock

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Haley and Trump are proof the Republicans are going to have a hard time winning a general election. Haley represents the centrists in the party who don't want Trump. Trump represents the MAGA crowd. The MAGA crowd is not going to vote for Haley. The centrist crowd is not going to vote for Trump. Yet, the Republicans need both crowds to win the general election.

That being said, no one should be using any of this as an excuse to become lazy and think the Republicans are not a threat at all. A lot can happen between now and the election after all. So while we shouldn't obfuscate and "live in denial", it's not really denial given you just have to look at the Republican party itself to see that they have issues and it's up to the democrats to take advantage of those issues.

While Haley is obviously an evil person herself, her winning an election could be what is needed to finally denazify the Republican party in the long run.  It will take decades to reeducate the Trump supporters and turn them back into people who can have a say in how their country is governed.  They need to lose that privilege for the foreseeable future.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Incorrect.

I don't have a Twitter account and never have. I was well aware of who NF is, because when that meeting happened, it was all over the news. Even outlets like Vox and The Washington Examiner reported on it.

That meeting aside, Fuentes is a well known right-wing provocateur. His name has come up in political discussions ever since the 2016 election normalized his brand of political activism.

Again, you are not the "average" American. You are clearly more plugged in to politics than the average person is. Most people don't spend their day posting on political threads. Between fox and CNN they average roughly 2 million views. People don't read the news as much anymore either. In a country of roughly 330 million people, how many do you really think that news reached?

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

While Haley is obviously an evil person herself, her winning an election could be what is needed to finally denazify the Republican party in the long run.  It will take decades to reeducate the Trump supporters and turn them back into people who can have a say in how their country is governed.  They need to lose that privilege for the foreseeable future.

Oh, I think the Republicans are unlikely to win an election for probably a decade at least given the brainwashings Trump's done to the MAGA crowd. However, it's for that reason why I don't see Haley winning. Trump's already looking to slander her. Why would the crowd that listens to Trump suddenly vote for her after Trump attacks her?

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Apropos of nothing, but why bother with the asterisk instead of the letter "A".....do they really think people will be unable to figure out what that word is? :picard:

There's probably a "vulgarity" filter.  It's the same reason why terms such as sex, rape, and so forth need to be "astericized" in order to be included on some social media platforms like instagram.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Please expand on this.   In what way are those two things being done?

Obfuscate = Evasive, unclear, confusing.   Trump is saying mostly the same things that he did the first time that he ran.  People preaching against him are pretending that he isn't, and are assigning their own current meaning to what he is saying.  I've been watching it for months all over the news and most other places that don't want Trump to be president again.

Live in denial = There are people preaching like they did the last time that Trump won't win.  I'm personally guilty of falling for and believing this in 2016, I know better in 2024.  I think the only thing that will stop Trump from being the next president is a ruling by SCOTUS that says states can remove him from the ballet.  I think the majority of the SCOTUS justices would love to dodge having to make a decision on this but I don't think that they will be able to.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The Constitution protects people's right to decide.  You wanting to take that away from people you don't like makes you an autocrat in favor of one party rule.

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Constitution protects people's right to decide.  You wanting to take that away from people you don't like makes you an autocrat in favor of one party rule.

Them trying to overthrow the democratically elected government in order to turn the country into a fascist dictatorship is enough that they have lost the right to be treated the same as actual people.  Once they prove that they understand this, they can be readmitted into society.

Edited by King Heffy

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Obfuscate = Evasive, unclear, confusing.   Trump is saying mostly the same things that he did the first time that he ran.  People preaching against him are pretending that he isn't, and are assigning their own current meaning to what he is saying.  I've been watching it for months all over the news and most other places that don't want Trump to be president again.

Live in denial = There are people preaching like they did the last time that Trump won't win.  I'm personally guilty of falling for and believing this in 2016, I know better in 2024.  I think the only thing that will stop Trump from being the next president is a ruling by SCOTUS that says states can remove him from the ballet.  I think the majority of the SCOTUS justices would love to dodge having to make a decision on this but I don't think that they will be able to.

For the sake of my massive ego I have to point out that I know what the word obfuscate means.  In your post it was implied that those who were against Trump were guilty of it, as well as living in denial.  As for denying that Trump has any chance of winning - too soon to tell.   Assuming so now would be dangerous (for libs like me).

And yes, Trump obfuscates, exaggerates, and out and out lies.

• Cheers 1