US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Since pretty much every major news outlet carried the story, I'd say it reached a lot of them. In fact, I'd say that the ones most likely to have not heard about it are the ones who avoid MSM, because of what they would call "bias"....and what I would call "reporting facts that they don't want to hear"....

....you know....like the fact that the leading candidate for the Republican presidential nomination has dinner with a known anti-Semite and his white Supremacist buddies....

I thought his daughter was married to a Jew? 

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Sorry, I must have missed the part about dismantling government agencies, moving them out of Washington, "overhaul" and "monitor" intelligence agencies, "reform" the courts, remove bureaucrats and/or Intelligence agents and set term limits for members of Congress. (I'm actually okay with that one)

If fact, I recall very little for that announcement being part of his 2016 campaign. Maybe you can provide some examples?

So you'd like me to comb through Google for the next 2 hours and cut/paste articles and speeches?  No thanks.  Today is the first day that I have time to myself in the last 2 weeks.  That sounds tedious.

Google his 2016 remarks on the deep state.  I was fairly amused back then when he went on and on about it.  Then I looked into how many lifetime bureaucrats there are running the government that go untouched no matter which party is in charge.

That's why I remember him saying that.

As for dismantling the government, Google "Drain the Swamp".  He was saying that he would remake the government to more of his liking and go after other politicians and government departments who were too entrenched.

He also was constantly going after the intelligence agencies in his speeches.  Even after he became president, he caused havoc with the FBI.  Also, the agencies are already monitored by a department with a cabinet level secretary in charge.  So George W. Bush kept that promise for Trump before Trump even ran for president in 2016.

Term limits is a new one as far as my memory goes.   He's by far not the only candidate who has ever said that.  He knows that mularkey just like all the others who have promised that.  Congress would have to vote to kick themselves out of office.  Anybody who falls for that promise from any politician is a mental midget.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Yes, and she converted prior to the wedding.  

No one knows for sure how Trump actually feels about other races and religions.   We have what he has said publicly but with him that is not likely to be a true indicator.

We do know that he seems able to side with anyone to get a vote or to get yet another group that believes in stolen elections 

22 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The problem with DeSantis is he tried to win the Trump supporters. He tried to be Trump without being Trump. Given that Trump's running himself, the method DeSantis used was going to fail to begin with. So, to say I'm not surprised by DeSantis backing out would be an understatement as it was something I predicted would happen if Trump was still in the running. Had Trump been thrown in jail or something and not running, I bet you DeSantis would have actually stood a decent chance of winning the primary. I'd even bet that's what DeSantis was banking on from the beginning.

This, of course, also means I'm not surprised with the people who supported DeSantis running to Trump... because they targeted the same group. 🙂

You can't outdotard dotard.  Why vote for a bad copy of him when you can vote for the real thing?  Doesn't help he has as much personality as the year 2000 Al Gore.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The most self hating group of people on the planet according to a friend of the jewish faith are in fact jews.  there's even a brilliant stand up comedy bit about how no matter how bad you feel about something, I feel worse about it because I am jewish.  

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

His daughter converted to Judaism also.

And?  People who are christian, catholic and evangelical are cheering for razor wire cutting up child migrants in texas.  

Just because someone identifies as something doesn't mean their family or friends will believe they're better, different or changed

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Doesn't help he has as much personality as the year 2000 Al Gore.  

I never realized how awkward and wooden DeSantis was until he ran for president.  I also got a kick out of the cowboy boots and dress shoes with built in lifts that he wore.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I didn't know a 'Ken' doll could be Jewish. 😆

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I didn't know a 'Ken' doll could be Jewish. 😆

Maybe the daughter had to choose between Dad or the Husband. It looks like she picked her husband. 

Just now, Warhippy said:

And?  People who are christian, catholic and evangelical are cheering for razor wire cutting up child migrants in texas.  

Just because someone identifies as something doesn't mean their family or friends will believe they're better, different or changed

Holy frijoles Batman!  I was just pointing out a fact, not making a statement.  Take 'er down a couple notches.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

Maybe the daughter had to choose between Dad or the Husband. It looks like she picked her husband. 

Kind of funny you say that.  You don't see her with much of an active role this time around. 

When she lost her friends in NYC after the 2016 election and then was ostracized in places where she was once welcomed, she turned on "dear old Dad" in a NY minute.  I don't know if she or her husband will have much of a role in a second Trump administration if that comes to pass.

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I never realized how awkward and wooden DeSantis was until he ran for president.  I also got a kick out of the cowboy boots and dress shoes with built in lifts that he wore.

Watch out for his wife (in terms of future political aspirations).  I think she's the brains in that couple (granted Ronnie is essentially a turnip).

15 minutes ago, kilgore said:

"Bad taste"? 

You once were stating its all subjective opinion that Trump is a racist.

When you are presented with historical facts showing times when he engaged in racist behaviour yovot to...

...but but but but Biden said some dumb things once. (that doesn't come close to what Trump has not only said but done)

Then get heat for that so its pivot to...

Society is to blame. People just always overreact.  "everyone is a racist nonsense"

If someone quotes you from a journalistic source like Vox, to support their arguments, who BTW just won 6 webby awards for excellence,

https://www.voxmedia.com/2023/4/25/23698021/vox-media-wins-six-awards-at-the-2023-webbys

you just pivot from taking it seriously and dismiss the source as "a joke"

Then after spending pages arguing, after you get too uncomfortable hearing rational responses and links to evidence,  its pivot to...

"I couldn't care less who he has dinner with" and that "This stuff is all so ridiculous. If you think the average person cares about this or even knows for that matter." 

Wilfully ignorant about what kind of influence a figure like Trump has on a large swath of the American voting public. And that the people who know who Fuentes is, are the only ones Trump cares about anyways. That even if it was just a meeting with Kanye, it is a signal to other deluded black Americans, antisemitics, the Black religiously fundamentalist pro-lifers, and anti-gay bigots in that community.  But Fuentes there just expanded that outreach. Even if you can chalk it up to Trump and his team simply allowing some rando guy to join them for a free lunch without knowing him at all, pure coincidence that he happened to be a prominent white supremacist. You can't deny how that was a signal to his base.

That is what is dangerous. And it is a part of an ongoing pattern since he made Obama's birth certificate an issue.  He's been race baiting from day one. It's dangerous to stoke fears and prejudices in a nation already so divided.  He doesn't care.  He's following Steve Bannons plan. its about creating chaos. As much as possible. “This is not about persuasion: This is about disorientation.”   Divide Americans and make them upset as much as possible. Stoke up all kinds of prejudices and fears in order to come in and say 'I am the One who will get the country back in order, make it great again"

People screaming Trump is a racist while ignoring everything Biden has said screams hypocrisy to me. Don't care.

Evidence of what? There is literally no evidence Trump new that dude before hand so what are you even talking about?

That is all just your opinion so I have nothing to add there

Again, your opinion so not gonna dive into that either.

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

GEoYvk-a4AAP5Oa.png

I've seen 10x more senile mumbo jumbo from Trump than Biden.  Astounding how some in the MSM still puts Biden's age and speaking ability as a big difference and hurdle.

• Cheers 1

Just now, kilgore said:

I've seen 10x more senile mumbo jumbo from Trump than Biden.  Astounding how some in the MSM still puts Biden's age and speaking ability as a big difference and hurdle.

Chretien needed subtitles in both official languages and yet was the best PM we've had during my lifetime.  

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Watch out for his wife (in terms of future political aspirations).  I think she's the brains in that couple (granted Ronnie is essentially a turnip).

I had no idea she had political aspirations.   Her husband is going to be governor for the next 3-8 years so she better get cracking on that then.  Her looks will eventually fade and then all she'll have to convince voters is that her background in local news somehow qualifies her for office. 

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

It was from the part of the speech where he was advocating for the death penalty for drug dealers.  Think about how insane that is.  

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I had no idea she had political aspirations.   Her husband is going to be governor for the next 3-8 years so she better get cracking on that then.  Her looks will eventually fade and then all she'll have to convince voters is that her background in local news somehow qualifies her for office. 

Just my speculation (not based on any facts).

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

It was from the part of the speech where he was advocating for the death penalty for drug dealers.  Think about how insane that is.  

I bet these guys start campaigning against Drumpf now, can't take the chance of ending up dead

• 1. Johnson & Johnson
  • 2. Pfizer Inc.
  • 3. Merck & Co.
  • 4. AbbVie Inc.
  • 5. Bristol Myers Squibb
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

1) People screaming Trump is a racist while ignoring everything Biden has said screams hypocrisy to me. 

2) Evidence of what? There is literally no evidence Trump new that dude before hand so what are you even talking about?

You really have only two points to make right?  Regardless of what else might be said these are your only counterarguments?

• Cheers 1