US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If Biden has to order federal troops to clash with state troops, he is done politically.  The Republicans will take back the White House and if Schumer doesn't cover Democrat arse in the Senate, the Republicans could get that too.  The Governors would love an all Republican federal government and a much weakened Democratic party.

Yeah that is Republican wet dream. 

Biden won't be done. There is also equal chance GOP are done after refusing to comply with SCOTUS and using troops to defy the order.

Only way Biden is done if he did that without a SCOTUS order. 

Edited by 24K

Funny how the data doesn't really support the QOP accusations against Biden regarding the border.  Even the Obama administration deported more people each term than TRUMP did in his.

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-data-show-migrants-were-more-likely-be-released-trump-biden

New Data Show Migrants Were More Likely to Be Released by Trump Than Biden

Just now, The Lock said:

This all sounds like very wishful thinking on the Republicans' part. Because they can't beat him otherwise, they have to resort to Jan 6th level schemes.

Perhaps, if anything, this shows the republicans know they don't have a good chance at winning at the moment.

What it shows is that we are bored and having fun imagining worst case scenarios.  😂

The most likely outcome is that Biden either lets today's deadline pass and negotiates with Republicans or he just federalizes Texas' troops and orders them to stand down.  Which they will because they don't want to be dishonorably discharged and lose all of their benefits.

Same thing with all of the other state's national guardsman.  They'll obey the chain of command.  (Biden)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Yeah that is Republican wet dream. 

Biden won't be done. There is also equal chance GOP are done after refusing to comply with SCOTUS and using troops to defy the order.

Only way Biden is done if he did that without a SCOTUS order. 

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

we are bored and having fun imagining worst case scenarios.  😂

The most likely outcome is that Biden either lets today's deadline pass and negotiates with Republicans or he just federalizes Texas' troops and orders them to stand down.  Which they will because they don't want to be dishonorably discharged and lose all of their benefits.

Same thing with all of the other state's national guardsman.  They'll obey the chain of command.  (Biden)

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

What it shows is that we are bored and having fun imagining worst case scenarios.  😂

The worst case scenarios sound like those mobile games where everyone's at war. lol

I'm glad you're not fully believing this stuff could happen. I feel like I've had enough discussions with extremists lately to wonder who's actually believing what they're saying and who isn't.... which is kind of sad that I have to actually figure that out....

• Haha 1

Just now, The Lock said:

The worst case scenarios sound like those mobile games where everyone's at war. lol

I'm glad you're not fully believing this stuff could happen. I feel like I've had enough discussions with extremists lately to wonder who's actually believing what they're saying and who isn't.... which is kind of sad that I have to actually figure that out....

Nah.  I just get bored sometimes and like to rabble rouse here.  I can't do it with the Sabres because they suck, so that leaves politics.

I was so busy the last couple weeks and then everything just calmed down a couple days ago and now I'm just resting and getting restless.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Judgment is $83 Million in total.

If this keeps up and it looks like it will. Carroll will become a billionaire by years end and Trump a non-lionaire. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

If this keeps up and it looks like it will. Carroll will become a billionaire by years end and Trump a non-lionaire. 

She's gonna do pretty well in the end, but the appeals courts are going to eventually lower the awards.  Anything she receives over and above will be ordered returned.

It's like the lady who won against McDonalds when her coffee scalded her.  Eventually the appeals courts overturned the verdict but people thought for years that she got the millions of dollars the jury originally ordered them to pay her.

11 minutes ago, 24K said:

$83.3 million.....Finally some accountability and significant punitive dages!!!! I wonder if there's any artery leakage happening...hide the ketchup!! I have nothing but a huge "FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE' for wee Donny....

Celebratory drink being poured...

While we know she won't receive it all...that's not the point. ACCOUNTABILITY and the fact that NOBODY IS ABOVE THE LAW is the point and it's on record FOREVER!!

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

She's gonna do pretty well in the end, but the appeals courts are going to eventually lower the awards.  Anything she receives over and above will be ordered returned.

It's like the lady who won against McDonalds when her coffee scalded her.  Eventually the appeals courts overturned the verdict but people thought for years that she got the millions of dollars the jury originally ordered them to pay her.

I'm not sure about that, in this case its pretty clear he did something twice. If McRonnies spilled coffee on her again, she would have got more money. 

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

She originally attempted to settle with McDonalds for $20,000, they refused. So she sued them. She was awarded $160,000 compensatory, and $2.7 million punitive. The judge reduced it to 3x the compensatory damages or $640,000. The parties later settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Just now, Bob Long said:

I'm not sure about that, in this case its pretty clear he did something twice. If McRonnies spilled coffee on her again, she would have got more money. 

Juries always come in with huge awards.  It's pretty standard for appeals courts to lower awards. 

This however has a tinge of politics to it so who knows.  I just know that it's not my money.  I'm not now, nor will I ever be a Trump donor.  I'm still gobsmacked, and honestly a bit impressed that he suckered his donors into giving him money to refurbish his "Trump Force One" plane. 

Like the old saying... A fool and his money shall soon part.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

She originally attempted to settle with McDonalds for $20,000, they refused. So she sued them. She was awarded $160,000 compensatory, and $2.7 million punitive. The judge reduced it to 3x the compensatory damages or $640,000. The parties later settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Ah.  So even I misremember the old case.  She did end up with a small amount of money then.  I knew she ddidn't get the millions everyone said for years that she did.

That woman got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on her vajayjay.  OUCH!

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Juries always come in with huge awards.  It's pretty standard for appeals courts to lower awards. 

This however has a tinge of politics to it so who knows.  I just know that it's not my money.  I'm not now, nor will I ever be a Trump donor.  I'm still gobsmacked, and honestly a bit impressed that he suckered his donors into giving him money to refurbish his "Trump Force One" plane. 

I think it depends whether Trump starts behaving himself or if he keeps doing what brought this lawsuit on.  

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

does he have any standing to appeal? His instagram lawyer doesn't seem to me like she'd be able to put that together for him. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

does he have any standing to appeal? His instagram lawyer doesn't seem to me like she'd be able to put that together for him. 

You can appeal anything.  Problem is, the judge can order he put a sum in an escrow account while the appeal goes through.  Not sure Trump is liquid enough to do that in all of his lost cases. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think it depends whether Trump starts behaving himself or if he keeps doing what brought this lawsuit on.  

He so better win this election for his own sake.  That will be the only thing keeping him from going bankrupt in an endless cycle of lawsuits.  Restraint is not in that man's nature.  😆

54 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

True.  She could have been escaping an abusive home situation.  Who knows.

My view however remains unchanged.  I'm fine with people coming here seasonally to work at farms and other jobs 99.5 percent of Americans won't do, but to come here to work, you need to go through the system.  If you don't qualify, go back home and try to change, for the better, the country that you left.  It's been done before.

That was the Democrat view until "progressives" gained influence in that party.  Obama was fairly strong on border control policy.  He built both walls and human detention cages.  That didn't originate with Trump.

One of the biggest issues with immigrating legally, is the huge backlog of cases and a luck of judges to hear those cases. The Trump admin refused to hire more. (and they certainly would have received Democrat support if they had tried)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/12/27/immigration-court-backlog-grows/72030952007/

The problem is, you need funding to hire these judges and guess who just said that a bipartisan Senate bill on border funding is "DOA" in the House?

BTW: Trump didn't invent cages, but Stephen Miller did invent the idea of placing kids in one cage and their parents in a different cage, sometimes thousands of miles away.....and Trump thought it was a great idea and did exactly that. Without any plan on how to reunite them later.

So please....spare the bullshit false equivalency. I know you "get bored" and like to "stir things up", but trying to equate what Obama and Trump did with immigrants makes you look like an uncaring asshole.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

BTW: Trump didn't invent cages, but Stephen Miller did invent the idea of placing kids in one cage and their parents in a different cage, sometimes thousands of miles away.....and Trump thought it was a great idea and did exactly that. Without any plan on how to reunite them later.

So please....spare the bullshit false equivalency. I know you "get bored" and like to "stir things up", but trying to equate what Obama and Trump did with immigrants makes you look like an uncaring asshole.

No.  That I am serious about.  That has nothing to do with bored civil war talk.

Honestly when it comes to protecting the border, I am an asshole.  I am not for open borders.  I don't care what they're trying to escape from.

Separating those kids from their parents was terrible.  That's a black eye on this country.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No.  That I am serious about.  That has nothing to do with bored civil war talk.

Honestly when it comes to protecting the border, I am an asshole.  I am not for open borders.  I don't care what they're trying to escape from.

Separating those kids from their parents was terrible.  That's a black eye on this country.

And just so we're clear: That was a Trump policy. Not an Obama policy.

We need to make this crystal clear because Ricky is "confused".....as usual....

• Thanks 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

And just so we're clear: That was a Trump policy. Not an Obama policy.

We need to make this crystal clear because Ricky is "confused".....as usual....

Everyone knows, or should know, that was Trump.  It was in the news for months.