US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He so better win this election for his own sake.  That will be the only thing keeping him from going bankrupt in an endless cycle of lawsuits.  Restraint is not in that man's nature.  😆

ChatGPT sounds more coherent than Trump:

"Judge Kaplin totally lost the plot in the Caroll case! Tremendous disapointment. We need judges who understand the real facts, not those playing political games. Sad day for justce, folks. We deserve better! #KaplinFail #RiggedSistem"

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Separating those kids from their parents was terrible.  That's a black eye on this country.

It's actually worse than that..........

Watchdog says U.S. forced deported parents to leave kids behind

WASHINGTON (AP) — A government watchdog says the Trump administration, under its practice of separating families at the border, forced migrant parents to leave the U.S. without their children, contradicting claims by officials that parents were willingly leaving them behind.

Sounds like state sanctioned kidnapping to me.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

ChatGPT sounds more coherent than Trump:

"Judge Kaplin totally lost the plot in the Caroll case! Tremendous disapointment. We need judges who understand the real facts, not those playing political games. Sad day for justce, folks. We deserve better! #KaplinFail #RiggedSistem"

He really needs to hire a proof-reader.  They're fairly inexpensive.  Seeing system spelled with an "i" viscerally hurts.  Doesn't help that he also used an "i" in the judges name.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

One of the biggest issues with immigrating legally, is the huge backlog of cases and a luck of judges to hear those cases. The Trump admin refused to hire more. (and they certainly would have received Democrat support if they had tried)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/12/27/immigration-court-backlog-grows/72030952007/

The problem is, you need funding to hire these judges and guess who just said that a bipartisan Senate bill on border funding is "DOA" in the House?

BTW: Trump didn't invent cages, but Stephen Miller did invent the idea of placing kids in one cage and their parents in a different cage, sometimes thousands of miles away.....and Trump thought it was a great idea and did exactly that. Without any plan on how to reunite them later.

So please....spare the bullshit false equivalency. I know you "get bored" and like to "stir things up", but trying to equate what Obama and Trump did with immigrants makes you look like an uncaring asshole.

I think it needs to be made clear the difference of illegal immigrants and the 'border/migrant crisis' cause people are using it interchangeably and those are two very distinct issues not related to one another. 

Illegal immigrants for the most part came to the US legally with valid visas that over stayed the duration of their visas. That is an issue but frankly these people are actively participating in the economy and paying taxes with 0 legal protection or getting anything back from the taxes they paid. So it is the complete opposite of all the things people and particular the right complain about mouching off the system. 

Migrants at the border is a complete separate issue as that is directly caused by the lack of immigrant judges hearing asylum cases and the known backlog. Issue is US have to legally allow them to stay in the US pending their hearing and provide for them accordingly as they have no work authorization thus mouching off the system. This crisis can be resolved pretty quickly by simply dumping money at it as these migrants are extradited from the US once their asylum or whatever claim are denied or they gain employment authorization and can then actively contribute to the economy and support themselves. 

Edited by 24K
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's actually worse than that..........

Watchdog says U.S. forced deported parents to leave kids behind

WASHINGTON (AP) — A government watchdog says the Trump administration, under its practice of separating families at the border, forced migrant parents to leave the U.S. without their children, contradicting claims by officials that parents were willingly leaving them behind.

Sounds like state sanctioned kidnapping to me.

People made that exact comparison when it was happening.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He really needs to hire a proof-reader.  They're fairly inexpensive.  Seeing system spelled with an "i" viscerally hurts.  Doesn't help that he also used an "i" in the judges name.

To clarify, that was just me playing around with AI, but it's disturbing how convincing it was.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It's probably intentional.  You have to remember that he's pandering to illiterates as well as other voters.  He needs to show he's "one of them".

Just now, King Heffy said:

To clarify, that was just me playing around with AI, but it's disturbing how convincing it was.

...actually, never mind.  :picard:  I've been misled.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

11 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Everyone knows, or should know, that was Trump.  It was in the news for months.

They should....but sometimes that fact gets glossed over by people making comments like "Obama had cages too".....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Migrants at the border is a complete separate issue as that is directly caused by the lack of immigrant judges hearing asylum cases and the known backlog. Issue us US have to legally allow them to stay in the US pending their hearing and provide for them accordingly as they have no work authorization thus mouching off the system. This crisis can be resolved pretty quickly by simoly dumping money at it as these migrants are extradited from the US once their asylum or whatever claim are denied or they gain employment authorization and can then actively contribute to the economy and support themselves. 

Honestly, if I had my way, we'd set up actual communities on the Mexican side of the border.  That way we could feed them and give them medical assistance and orderly shuffle them through the system and either send them back home or give them work cards and let them stay.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's probably intentional.  You have to remember that he's pandering to illiterates as well as other voters.  He needs to show he's "one of them".

...actually, never mind.  :picard:  I've been misled.

Oh yeah, when it comes to illiterates, he absolutely is one of them.....

To borrow a line from Chris Rock (and paraphrase slightly) "Books are like kryptonite to Trump"....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

They should....but sometimes that fact gets glossed over by people making comments like "Obama had cages too".....

To this day there are people though that deny that Obama did.  Though to be fair, those are probably the same kind of people who have no idea who we fought in the Revolutionary War.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

To this day there are people though that deny that Obama did.  Though to be fair, those are probably the same kind of people who have no idea who we fought in the Revolutionary War.

Well that's just dumb....everyone knows that's when you kicked Santa Anna's ass.....

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Honestly, if I had my way, we'd set up actual communities on the Mexican side of the border.  That way we could feed them and give them medical assistance and orderly shuffle them through the system and either send them back home or give them work cards and let them stay.

Well it pretty much exist though not organized in any way. Problem isnUS have to ammend laws requiring person to be on US soil to seek asylum or whatever similar claims. 

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

And just so we're clear: That was a Trump policy. Not an Obama policy.

We need to make this crystal clear because Ricky is "confused".....as usual....

No, I'm confused how you can blame a person who hasn't been in power for almost 4 years on current ILLEGAL immigration 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Well it pretty much exist though not organized in any way. Problem isnUS have to ammend laws requiring person to be on US soil to seek asylum or whatever similar claims. 

I'm talking like city sized.  A fully functioning basic city.  No thrills or frills though.  Just housing, food, medical care.  The only problem would be them having to police themselves.  Things could go bad fairly quickly if the strong started to prey on the weak.  Then you'd either have to decide to turn a blind eye or pay the Mexicans to keep law and order.

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Your talking to much sense. 2.5 million a year coming into the USA. That's not a border. People are being exploited on both sides of the border. I have friends who live outside of San Antonio and they say it is a gong show. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

No, I'm confused how you can blame a person who hasn't been in power for almost 4 years on current ILLEGAL immigration 

I did no such thing. I blamed Congress. I also posted an article where Mike Johnson said the proposed bill was DOA when and if it gets to the House.

I blamed Trump for refusing to hire immigration judges when he was in office and that is absolutely true.

Hope that clears up your "confusion"....

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I did no such thing. I blamed Congress. I also posted an article where Mike Johnson said the proposed bill was DOA when and if it gets to the House.

I blamed Trump for refusing to hire immigration judges when he was in office and that is absolutely true.

Hope that clears up your "confusion"....

What does that have to do with entering the country illegally? Which is what you were responding to