US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What does that have to do with entering the country illegally? Which is what you were responding to

A judge helps determine each illegal immigration case and what to do. By refusing to hire these judges, Trump basically did pretty much nothing to solve the illegal immigration issue.

Which is hilariously ironic given the talking points he's had.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What does that have to do with entering the country illegally? Which is what you were responding to

I was responding to someone saying that people should immigrate legally, to which I pointed out that the system of legally applying is tied up by a huge backlog of immigration cases.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Your talking to much sense. 2.5 million a year coming into the USA. That's not a border. People are being exploited on both sides of the border. I have friends who live outside of San Antonio and they say it is a gong show. 

@Sabrefan1 could the US function without these folks coming in every year?

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Your talking to much sense. 2.5 million a year coming into the USA. That's not a border. People are being exploited on both sides of the border. I have friends who live outside of San Antonio and they say it is a gong show. 

There are plenty of good ideas about what might be done to help the border situation. Sabre's idea is one, as is the idea of hiring a bunch of Immigration judges and lawyers to handle the backlog of cases....All is would really take is some funding.

But there's a problem:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/26/politics/speaker-mike-johnson-letter/index.html

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I was responding to someone saying that people should immigrate legally, to which I pointed out that the system of legally applying is tied up by a huge backlog of immigration cases.

And what has Biden done to mitigate this? I'm genuinely asking and not being sarcastic 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

@Sabrefan1 could the US function without these folks coming in every year?

I know you asked Sabre, but I thought I'd weigh in anyway. The current situation in Florida suggests that it probably could not:

https://www.vox.com/2023/5/17/23725952/ron-desantis-immigration-law-florida

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

And what has Biden done to mitigate this? I'm genuinely asking and not being sarcastic 

Did you somehow miss the half dozen or so times I've mentioned the bipartisan deal reached in the Senate? Or that House Republicans have pledged to kill, because they don't want to give Biden a "win"?

Here. I'll post it again:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4431375-speaker-johnson-senate-border-deal-dead-on-arrival-in-house/

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just from doing a bit of research, Biden's reportedly done a reasonable amount actually:

- He created a new border process to discourage irregular arrivals

- He changed the enforcement priorities to focus on more specific groups of illegal immigrants

- He extended humanitarian efforts to 100s of 1000s of migrants

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Did you somehow miss the half dozen or so times I've mentioned the bipartisan deal reached in the Senate? Or that House Republicans have pledged to kill, because they don't want to give Biden a "win"?

Here. I'll post it again:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4431375-speaker-johnson-senate-border-deal-dead-on-arrival-in-house/

I asked that because it's curious that you would blame the previous administration when this is going on.

In the past year, the southwest border has received historic numbers of migrants. More than 2.4 million people. It's been record-breaking numbers for the past few years. San Diego alone has received more than 230,000 people this year. That's a 30% increase from the year before.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/12/1212058889/migrants-u-s-southern-border-historic-numbers-why

Maybe.. just maybe... The US isn't prepared to handle the amount of immigrants that have been trying to cross the last few years? 

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Just from doing a bit of research, Biden's reportedly done a reasonable amount actually:

- He created a new border process to discourage irregular arrivals

- He changed the enforcement priorities to focus on more specific groups of illegal immigrants

- He extended humanitarian efforts to 100s of 1000s of migrants

Cheers

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

I asked that because it's curious that you would blame the previous administration when this is going on.

In the past year, the southwest border has received historic numbers of migrants. More than 2.4 million people. It's been record-breaking numbers for the past few years. San Diego alone has received more than 230,000 people this year. That's a 30% increase from the year before.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/12/1212058889/migrants-u-s-southern-border-historic-numbers-why

Maybe.. just maybe... The US isn't prepared to handle the amount of immigrants that have been trying to cross the last few years? 

No administration can reasonably control how many people show up to a border. It doesn't matter if it's Biden, Trump, or someone else.

• Cheers 1

But I didn't. I blamed them for their inaction when they were in power.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

But I didn't. I blamed them for their inaction when they were in power.

My point is how much would that even help when there is record amounts of people trying to cross. Is the US supposed to just let them all in? 

Looks like the James Comer / Gym Jordan fishing expedition has landed yet another rubber boot:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/president-biden-never-involved-in-son-s-business-dealings-hunter-biden-associate/ar-BB1hjRUT?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=e48e0e5ea0d94b83b7e85c5afc3d1b17&ei=26

To be clear, President Biden -- while in office or as a private citizen -- was never involved in any of the business activities we pursued. Any statement to the contrary is simply false," Walker said in his opening statement.

Walker added that the president's son "made sure there was always a clear boundary between any business and his father. Always. And as his partner, I always understood and respected that boundary."

Bone Spurs likes to whine about "election interference", because he actually has to face charges for the crimes he committed, but this sham of an Impeachment Inquiry, is the epitome of trying to interfere with Biden's re-election prospects.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

My point is how much would that even help when there is record amounts of people trying to cross. Is the US supposed to just let them all in? 

Nope. If they were able to process them properly, the ones who didn't qualify would be sent packing.

26 minutes ago, The Lock said:

No administration can reasonably control how many people show up to a border. It doesn't matter if it's Biden, Trump, or someone else.

This my true story on illegal aliens. In around 1975 we were vacationing in California, Los Angeles to be exact. At the time my brother in law was working for Sees Candies in one of their warehouses. He was a book keeper for them, and invited us in to see how the operation worked. While there a couple of larger vans showed up at the entrance gates. They began loading folks into these vans. I didn't see how many, because I thought, this is way out of my league. This issue has been around a hell of a long time, as has the opioid crisis, and every other social issue that we as people are going through.

Edited by Johngould21
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

49 states would be fine.  California is the biggest state in need of seasonal workers that will do tedious sh*t work for low pay.

Not from what I’m reading. Washington State requests for seasonal worker visas (H2A) have soared to more than 37000 in 2023 from 2000 in 2009.

States with Republican governors like Utah and Indiana are spearheading efforts to give States more authority to increase H2A visas.

https://thehill.com/latino/4071814-business-leaders-plea-with-biden-for-work-visas-to-help-with-unfilled-jobs/

Business leaders plea with Biden for work visas to help with unfilled jobs

A coalition of business leaders is stepping up pressure on the Biden administration to use all means at its disposal to issue more work visas as labor shortages threaten to cripple a variety of industries.

In a letter to President Biden, 126 business leaders and employers called for him to “expand a special category of immigration permits for individuals who can fill positions where labor shortages exist.”

• Cheers 1

And most "illegals" are people who entered LEGALLY.  Like visa overstays.  No border wall is going to stop that.

Let's be real.  End the drug war and a acknowledge that there are seasonal worker who in the past went back and forth across the border.  That is the root a a lot of the issues.  As are the sanctions on Venezuela.   

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1