US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

This my true story on illegal aliens. In around 1975 we were vacationing in California, Los Angeles to be exact. At the time my brother in law was working for Sees Candies in one of their warehouses. He was a book keeper for them, and invited us in to see how the operation worked. While there a couple of larger vans showed up at the entrance gates. They began loading folks into these vans. I didn't see how many, because I thought, this is way out of my league. This issue has been around a hell of a long time, as has the opioid crisis, and every other social issue that we as people are going through.

Yeah, what it really comes down to is the US government can't control what happens in other countries. Migrants showing up at the border... they came from the border country and beyond: areas outside of the jurisdiction of the US. To expect to actually be able to control the number of people is ludicrous.

Therefore, it's about how to handle whatever number of migrants show up at your border, not the number of migrants that show up.

• Vintage 1

He'll probably have to deposit some, if not all of the award in order to appeal.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4432317-trump-says-hell-appeal-ridiculous-e-jean-carroll-verdict/

Trump says he’ll appeal ‘ridiculous’ E. Jean Carroll defamation ruling

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

How do you even define properly when numbers have shot up like they have?

No one's saying it wouldn't be a challenge, but then... if we're to establish that, shouldn't that be giving Biden slack given his circumstance would be more difficult?

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

How do you even define properly when numbers have shot up like they have?

I don't work for Border Services, so I don't have a definition for you, but I do know the proposed Senate deal would address the concerns of both parties and Republicans in Congress have already said they won't support it. This happened right after Trump told them not to.

If you're asking how the problem is magically going to be "fixed", I think you need to lower your expectations.

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not from what I’m reading. Washington State requests for seasonal worker visas (H2A) have soared to more than 37000 in 2023 from 2000 in 2009.

States with Republican governors like Utah and Indiana are spearheading efforts to give States more authority to increase H2A visas.

https://thehill.com/latino/4071814-business-leaders-plea-with-biden-for-work-visas-to-help-with-unfilled-jobs/

Business leaders plea with Biden for work visas to help with unfilled jobs

A coalition of business leaders is stepping up pressure on the Biden administration to use all means at its disposal to issue more work visas as labor shortages threaten to cripple a variety of industries.

In a letter to President Biden, 126 business leaders and employers called for him to “expand a special category of immigration permits for individuals who can fill positions where labor shortages exist.”

Wow!!  I had no idea Washington used that many,  When I lived in the Southwest for almost a decade, they were mostly used as handymen and cheap construction labor, but they weren't necessary, just convenient.

Back then, California was the only state that had an actual real need of immigrants for their farms.

When I left the Southwest and moved back to Buffalo in the middle of the aughts, almost 20 years ago, California was concerned with the uptick in the Mexican economy thanks to manufacturing being moved there.  Everyone from Napa Valley to the food staple farms were complaining that they wouldn't get the workers that they needed to bring in their harvests.

• Cheers 1

Here's some reading for you Ricky. I know it's "Fake News!" CNN, but I'm pretty sure the story is accurate, because I've seen several outlets discussing similar negotiations in the past few days:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/26/politics/senate-deal-shutdown-border/index.html

Under the soon-to-be-released package, the Department of Homeland Security would be granted new emergency authority to shut down the border if daily average migrant encounters reach 4,000 over a one-week span. If migrant crossings increase above 5,000 on average per day on a given week, DHS would be required to close the border to migrants crossing illegally not entering at ports of entry. Certain migrants would be allowed to stay if they prove to be fleeing torture or persecution in their countries.

Moreover, if crossings exceed 8,500 in a single day, DHS would be required to close the border to migrants illegally crossing the border. Under the proposal, any migrant who tries to cross the border twice while it is closed would be banned from entering the US for one year.

The goal of the trio of negotiators – GOP Sen. James Lankford of Oklahoma, Independent Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona and Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy of Connecticut – is to prevent surges that overwhelm federal authorities. The Biden administration and Senate leaders have been heavily involved in the talks, and more details of the deal are expected to be released in the coming days.

Negotiated by a Republican, a Democrat and an Independent. bear in mind, this is the rumored bill that Mike Johnson declared "DOA" in the House.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Well lucky for Trump, the Georgia criminal case is going his way thanks to the corrupt and horny DA prosecuting him.  What a gong show that thing turned out to be.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/26/politics/fani-willis-nathan-wade-georgia-state-senate-investigation/index.html

If true they have been incredibly foolish. It's really a case of misuse of public funds. I can't see how this affects the prosecution of Trump, other than public perception and the law doesn't care about public perception. The evidence is what it is. But yeah, if true she's out of a job and may face discipline herself.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Here's some reading for you Ricky. I know it's "Fake News!" CNN, but I'm pretty sure the story is accurate, because I've seen several outlets discussing similar negotiations in the past few days:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/26/politics/senate-deal-shutd

12 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Negotiated by a Republican, a Democrat and an Independent. bear in mind, this is the rumored bill that Mike Johnson declared "DOA" in the House.

own-border/index.html

I've never said CNN is "fake news"?

Certainly sounds like a step in the right direction based on what's there.

• Cheers 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

If true they have been incredibly foolish. It's really a case of misuse of public funds. I can't see how this affects the prosecution of Trump, other than public perception and the law doesn't care about public perception. The evidence is what it is. But yeah, if true she's out of a job and may face discipline herself.

It could trigger a mistrial.  If it does and the judge dismisses it without prejudice then everything goes back to square 1.  If the judge dismisses it with prejudice then it's all over.

I highly doubt that that it gets dismissed with prejudice.  I give it a small bit better than a 50/50 chance the judge orders a mistrial.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It could trigger a mistrial.  If it does and the judge dismisses it without prejudice then everything goes back to square 1.  If the judge dismisses it with prejudice then it's all over.

I highly doubt that that it gets dismissed with prejudice.  I give it a small bit better than a 50/50 chance the judge orders a mistrial.

Judge McAfee seems like a straight shooter though. Who knows what his take on this will be.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Judge McAfee seems like a straight shooter though. Who knows what his take on this will be.

I'd imagine if he thinks that it would affect the case on the inevitable appeal, he'll declare a mistrial.  If he believes her impropriety won't affect the appellate court's decision then he'll just ask the state to put in a new prosecutor and continue on once that happens.

I would be shocked if he dismissed the case with prejudice since her alleged crimes had nothing to do with the merits of Trump's case.  But who knows, I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.  🙃

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Trump must have a deal with Satan, no one is this lucky.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I've never said CNN is "fake news"?

Certainly sounds like a step in the right direction based on what's there.

Fair enough. It just seems to be a common refrain from the right....

Thumbs up to your second paragraph.

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well he is stuck with "Eric" though maybe Dotard will get lucky if the Dems get into power & enact post-birth abortion rights.🥸

Everything is lining up for a trump comeback. I might start looking at prepper websites.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Well lucky for Trump, the Georgia criminal case is going his way thanks to the corrupt and horny DA prosecuting him.  What a gong show that thing turned out to be.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/26/politics/fani-willis-nathan-wade-georgia-state-senate-investigation/index.html

The state Senate of Georgia approved this? :classic_ohmy:

Color me shocked. :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

“It’s a crisis but don’t fix it.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/25/politics/gop-senators-angry-trump-immigration-deal/index.html

GOP senators seethe as Trump blows up delicate immigration compromise

Senior Senate Republicans are furious that Donald Trump may have killed an emerging bipartisan deal over the southern border, depriving them of a key legislative achievement on a pressing national priority and offering a preview of what’s to come with Trump as their likely presidential nominee.

In recent weeks, Trump has been lobbying Republicans both in private conversations and in public statements on social media to oppose the border compromise being delicately hashed out in the Senate, according to GOP sources familiar with the conversations – in part because he wants to campaign on the issue this November and doesn’t want President Joe Biden to score a victory in an area where he is politically vulnerable.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Apparently there are over 700,000 trucks going to the US border. 

They might need to order a few more bouncy castles to keep the kids occupied. 

Impossible.

The price of gas is too high thanks to Biden 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1