US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Alf’s used to go down south often. Last time was 2000. We went to Idaho to pick up another cattle dog. The feel down there was off. Wife and I talked about at the time too. Felt so good get get across the border. Never went back, and won’t. 
IMHAO the advent of the internet allowed for information to be spread quickly and to massive numbers. The crazies multiplied and became prominent. They spread like a disease. And it’s palpable. 

We don't have any Walter Cronkites anymore Alf. Did you ever think you were getting lied to when you tuned Walter in? WW2 vet who had seen it all. Today there is almost no vetted news. Media get revenue from number of 'clics' and have adjusted their output to attract those clics. People in media see their friends being laid off tow the line to maintain a pay cheque. Don't you know that you can walk away from your debt obligations and still maintain a good credit rating? Just call 

??? ??? ????. This type of thinking is all thru our society. 

Meantime we have political people inside Canada and the USA who feed media to benefit their agendas. The Russians and Chinese access our social media to do the same thing. Vested interests and governments know full well that propaganda works very well.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You have politicians to thank for that.  They used the emerging divide to win elections and in so doing, made the divides widen.

As a middle of the road Independent, I've been watching it happen for years now.  Honestly as far as movement goes, the left sprinted even further left than the Republicans went right.  That was their direct reaction to what the Tea Party did with the Republican party by moving them into a mostly conservative party.

So basically one side went far right and the other side responded by going even further left. 

It's why moderates (mostly Republican) have been retiring from Congress recently.  That will leave the government itself more radical, both left and right.

heh, I first was exposed to the Yeats poem from a video game from the 1990s:

Tolwyn: The intelligence I’ve collected is erratic, unreliable. "Things fall apart. The centre cannot hold. Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world. The best lack all conviction..."
Paladin: "Whilst the worst possess a passionate intensity" – Yeats.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43290/the-second-coming

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

And gets us drunk on wine.  Well not me.  I gave up recreational drinking just before I moved back home to Buffalo almost 20 years ago.  It lost it's appeal to me. 

Now I'll just kick back a drink now and again during special occasions.  I've never been a big wine drinker.  It's funny how awful beer and alcohol tastes once you lose your taste for it.

I barely drink these days myself but I still love wine with food, good beer and peated scotch!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I barely drink these days myself but I still love wine with food, good beer and peated scotch!

I wish I had a taste for wine.  There are people who enjoy the various tastes it offers and revolve parts of their life around it.

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Protest Convoy Headed to Southern Border Is Calling Itself an ‘Army of God’

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9adk/trucker-convoy-eagle-pass-texas-border-dispute-christian-nationalism

EP was mentioning this yesterday, talking about 700k truckers.

Any pics of this massive convoy to confirm that big number?

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Must be headed to Texas to wash the feet of  immigrants and anoint them. Nice to know that these good Christians still care about the poor and the downtrodden amongst us.

What are they planning to do?

they gonna start shooting the place up, attacking the immigrants? 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

EP was mentioning this yesterday, talking about 700k truckers.

Any pics of this massive convoy to confirm that big number?

People, especially the news likes to bloat numbers to get a good story.  Years ago, I was part of a protest against not labeling GMO's and we had maybe 90-100 people at best.  Each news station reported hundreds of protesters.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

People, especially the news likes to bloat numbers to get a good story.  Years ago, I was part of a protest against not labeling GMO's and we had maybe 90-100 people at best.  Each news station reported hundreds of protesters.

Yeah.

i remember the Canada convoy.

My nephew was soo excited, told me it was the biggest convoy in history, record setting and was 'many kilometers long and the governement is turning off road cameras to hide the truth'

Well, the truth was that is was not a record and was a fraction of the size claimed.

So, how bloated do you think these 700k numbers are? 

is there any footage of the actual convoy?

And what are they planning to do , fight?

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What are they planning to do?

they gonna start shooting the place up, attacking the immigrants? 

l guess “armies of God” ain’t what they used to be.

A retired US Army lieutenant colonel is organizing an armed convoy next week to the Texas border to, he says, hunt down migrants crossing into the US from Mexico. Hundreds of people already say they are coordinating travel plans for the convoy on Telegram as tensions continue to rise between the state and federal government over immigration.

Pete Chambers, the lieutenant colonel who says he was a Green Beret, appeared on far-right school-shooting conspiracist Alex Jones’ InfoWars show on Thursday to outline plans for the Take Back Our Border convoy, which has been primarily organized on Telegram.

“What gets us to the enemy quickly is find, fix, and finish,” Chambers told Jones. “That’s what we did in Syria when we took out ISIS really quick. Now we don’t have the authorities to finish, so what we can do is fix the location of where the bad guys are and pair up with law enforcement who are constitutionally sound.”

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

l guess “armies of God” ain’t what they used to be.

A retired US Army lieutenant colonel is organizing an armed convoy next week to the Texas border to, he says, hunt down migrants crossing into the US from Mexico. Hundreds of people already say they are coordinating travel plans for the convoy on Telegram as tensions continue to rise between the state and federal government over immigration.

Pete Chambers, the lieutenant colonel who says he was a Green Beret, appeared on far-right school-shooting conspiracist Alex Jones’ InfoWars show on Thursday to outline plans for the Take Back Our Border convoy, which has been primarily organized on Telegram.

“What gets us to the enemy quickly is find, fix, and finish,” Chambers told Jones. “That’s what we did in Syria when we took out ISIS really quick. Now we don’t have the authorities to finish, so what we can do is fix the location of where the bad guys are and pair up with law enforcement who are constitutionally sound.”

So, they are planning to kill people..

If that is the case, then I accept if the authorities use lethal force. Send this army to God. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

On 9/16/2023 at 7:08 AM, stawns said:

How about Bimbo Boebert getting felt up and giving a handy at a musical.........on camera.  Unreal

Boebert prides herself with a "hands-on" approach to life in all situations.

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You have politicians to thank for that.  They used the emerging divide to win elections and in so doing, made the divides widen.

As a middle of the road Independent, I've been watching it happen for years now.  Honestly as far as movement goes, the left sprinted even further left than the Republicans went right.  That was their direct reaction to what the Tea Party did with the Republican party by moving them into a mostly conservative party.

So basically one side went far right and the other side responded by going even further left. 

It's why moderates (mostly Republican) have been retiring from Congress recently.  That will leave the government itself more radical, both left and right.

I don't agree one bit with your assessment. This whole shit show began when the US elected Barack Obama, and Trump started all that birther bullshit. Trump is and continues to be the problem with America.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

So, they are planning to kill people..

If that is the case, then I accept if the authorities use lethal force. Send this army to God. 

This border situation in Texas is interesting.  Abbott is refusing to let federal agents into federal land.......I hope Biden toughens up and shuts this shit down.

For all their bluster, no one creates more illegal immigration than Repugs

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

This border situation in Texas is interesting.  Abbott is refusing to let federal agents into federal land.......I hope Biden toughens up and shuts this shit down.

I think they have to.

Clamp down. If theys are going to start murdering poeple. The authorities have no choice but to stop that by any means. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I don't agree one bit with your assessment. This whole shit show began when the US elected Barack Obama, and Trump started all that birther bullshit. Trump is and continues to be the problem with America.

Trump is a problem, but it started before him.   I have vivid memories of people on CDC asking me wtf was wrong with the US way before Trump got into politics.

We'll have to agree to disagree on your opinion.

• Vintage 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I think they have to.

Clamp down. If theys are going to start murdering poeple. The authorities have no choice but to stop that by any means. 

And the border is FEDERAL.  Also, there are international treaties governing what can and cannot be done.  I think that some of Abbots tactics violate some.  

That is the whole reason why a border wall is BS.  It means that the wall would have to be placed inland along the Rio Grande on private property.  Not along the banks.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think they have to.

And I think Biden needs to show these Governors that he's the President and they're the Govenors.  If they want to feign civil war, then the feds need to start flexing their very substantial muscles

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Must be headed to Texas to wash the feet of  immigrants and anoint them. Nice to know that these good Christians still care about the poor and the downtrodden amongst us.

Sure, just like they "anointed" lawns up here 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Trump is a problem, but it started before him.   I have vivid memories of people on CDC asking me wtf was wrong with the US way before Trump got into politics.

We'll have to agree to disagree on your opinion.

The Tea Party

If anyone is looking for a ridiculously good show, but also a ridiculously accurate take on the takeover of the Republican Party by the moronic Tea Party, look no further than The Newsroom.........that's, literally, what the show revolves around and Jeff Daniels is amazing.  A must watch for anyone who loves political TV shows

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Tea Party

If anyone is looking for a ridiculously good show, but also a ridiculously accurate take on the takeover of the Republican Party by the moronic Tea Party, look no further than The Newsroom.........that's, literally, what the show revolves around and Jeff Daniels is amazing.  A must watch for anyone who loves political TV shows

I love that show!  Remember that speech he gave on an interview on the first or second episode?  That was some good TV!

• Cheers 1