US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I get yelled at by some on here when I say the left has lost the plot, but I think objectively you can see it. The university environment is getting stupid, eg.

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

People who believe that they are good fighting against evil will get angry if you tell them otherwise. 

Unless I'm having fun messing with someone, I don't often comment on their beliefs.  It's pointless because you suddenly are bunched in with the evil they believe they are fighting against.

Agreed. I'm seeing an increase from the left where more and more people are telling others what to do, how to think/feel. Any resistance is met with heavy backlash. Lost the plot is a good way to put it.

People generally don't like being told what to do, so that contributes to why more people are leaning right than they otherwise would. Funny seeing this shift in approach from both sides.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Agreed. I'm seeing an increase from the left where more and more people are telling others what to do, how to think/feel. Any resistance is met with heavy backlash. Lost the plot is a good way to put it.

People generally don't like being told what to do, so that contributes to why more people are leaning right than they otherwise would. Funny seeing this shift in approach from both sides.

Funny, the right wing is guilty of the same.  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's a changing of the guard as the largest generation in the history of human civilization (and the biggest sell out generation) fades into irrelevancy and young people start to say that the way things are is not the way things are going to be.  

I'm all for fir it, the deeply narcissistic boomers have f***ed us all.  I'm glad to see young people trying to change the status quo 

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The US, from my personal pov, literally has everything, from the most innovative , best and smartest to what ever you have to be to hang a picture of Jesus and Trump up in your kitchen. What seems new to me is the level of sustained hate there seems to be now, and just how much people have moved away from basic issues like good jobs, food prices, etc. The extremes seem larger to me now, maybe it was 5% on either side when I was a kid, now it feels more like 20% on both sides are extremists.

Land of extremes in every which way.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

So, they are planning to kill people..

If that is the case, then I accept if the authorities use lethal force. Send this army to God. 

If homicide is what they're intending on doing, pretty sure that God (if there is one) would likely deny them holy audience and instead will send them directly to where they belong, in the depths of the 18th level of hell, never to be reincarnated.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a changing of the guard as the largest generation in the history of human civilization (and the biggest sell out generation) fades into irrelevancy and young people start to say that the way things are is not the way things are going to be.  

I'm all for fir it, the deeply narcissistic boomers have f***ed us all.  I'm glad to see young people trying to change the status quo 

Out country is pretty damned nice. We are fortunate there was a lot of older folk who worked so hard to make it a nice place. 
Don’t see the hate for the elderly you’re expressing as needed. Way more often these elderly folk live on or below the poverty line. 
IMHAO a healthy society has a blend between the conservative values of the elderly and the progressive attitudes of the younger people. We need both. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Can't say I'm a fan of the way you're generalizing an entire generation.

There's narcissistic people in every generation. It's a bit odd to lay that so heavily on boomers with the amount of younger folk posting edited selfies for likes and attention.

Trump is my age, he's the biggest narcissist in the US, among other things.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Can't say I'm a fan of the way you're generalizing an entire generation.

There's narcissistic people in every generation. It's a bit odd to lay that so heavily on boomers with the amount of younger folk posting edited selfies for likes and attention.

Well, the boomers wanted to change the world in the 60's.  When they realized they couldnt, they tried to change themselves in 70's.  When they realized that wasn't going to work they said f*** it, let's make as much money as we possibly can and f*** everyone else.

Everything from the late 50's until now wa focused on them and screw everyone else.  As a gen x'er, we lived in the exceptionally large shadow of them all our lives and they never wanted to share.  Now, we have to take care of them

They changed the world and not for the better.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Out country is pretty damned nice. We are fortunate there was a lot of older folk who worked so hard to make it a nice place. 
Don’t see the hate for the elderly you’re expressing as needed. Way more often these elderly folk live on or below the poverty line. 
IMHAO a healthy society has a blend between the conservative values of the elderly and the progressive attitudes of the younger people. We need both. 

Disagree, our society is pretty horrid, imo

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, the boomers wanted to change the world in the 60's.  When they realized they couldnt, they tried to change themselves in 70's.  When they realized that wasn't going to work they said f*** it, let's make as much money as we possibly can and f*** everyone else.

Everything from the late 50's until now wa focused on them and screw everyone else.  As a gen x'er, we lived in the exceptionally large shadow of them all our lives and they never wanted to share.  Now, we have to take care of them

They changed the world and not for the better.

Some will match that description but not all.

Many boomers I know have passed their wealth on to their children as opposed to keeping it for themselves or trying to screw over others.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Many boomers I know have passed their wealth on to their children as opposed to keeping it for themselves or trying to screw over others.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/the_greatest_generation.asp#:~:text=The Greatest Generation commonly refers,patriotic%2C and team-players.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Obviously I'm generalizing about the larger group.  I'm not sure how it'd be up for debate.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

So glorious to see that happen in real time yesterday

To appeal, TRUMP would have to put between $90 and $100 million in a bond.  And he would have to have grounds.  That is why the courts have been so lenient with his behavior.  They wanted to be sure he had no real grounds to appeal.

The lack of a jury in his other New York case was due to his own councils incompetence.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Both sides in the US do that though. Generally the left doesn't require you to live a certain way, where's the religious right loves to force their version of laws on others. 

Where I think the progressives lost the plot is focusing on reacting to the far right, vs focusing on making people's lives better.

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

To appeal, TRUMP would have to put between $90 and $100 million in a bond.  And he would have to have grounds.  That is why the courts have been so lenient with his behavior.  They wanted to be sure he had no real grounds to appeal.

The lack of a jury in his other New York case was due to his own councils incompetence.  

If I can say one thing about Trump, he is a master of dragging shit through the court system.  However, I think he has burned bridges with any lawyer with the skills to do that.  Who'd have thought stiffing people on their fees over your life would come back to bite you?

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Both sides in the US do that though. Generally the left doesn't require you to live a certain way, where's the religious right loves to force their version of laws on others. 

Where I think the progressives lost the plot is focusing on reacting to the far right, vs focusing on making people's lives better.

I'll refer to Carlin on this one.  The left cares about people, the right cares about power

Carlin