US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'll refer to Carlin on this one.  The left cares about people, the right cares about power

Carlin

The left will throw people under the bus if you aren't with them too.

Sorry but I've heard that way too much out of the NDP over the years about being with "the people" - sure maybe if you are in a union. Same stuff in the US.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sorry but I've heard that way too much out of the NDP over the years about being with "the people" - sure maybe if you are in a union. Same stuff in the US.

The left isn't perfect by any means, but what carkin said is true, ultimately the left cares about people........and I'm not talking about politicians.

As far as the ndp goes, they do some stupid things, but all we ha e to do is remember just how horrible 12 years of the BC Libs was.  Give me Eby over Clark a million times over.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I wish I had a taste for wine.  There are people who enjoy the various tastes it offers and revolve parts of their life around it.

I know a few wine fanatics for sure. I did the sommelier course in Uni and definitely know a fair bit but some people...my boss turned his garage into a full on wine cellar. FFS man..that is where motorbikes are supposed t0 go! 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This was two days ago…

Today…

Thanks EP.

I see one of the tweets say 2,500...

Where did the number of 700,000 come from?

That's quite a discrepancy.

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I know a few wine fanatics for sure. I did the sommelier course in Uni and definitely know a fair bit but some people...my boss turned his garage into a full on wine cellar. FFS man..that is where motorbikes are supposed t0 go! 

I have my WSET3.  Very, very, hard exam.

I know the wine world well. 

Enought to think it is silly as F*ck.

On 1/20/2024 at 1:54 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Haley’s home being swatted in 3,2,1

Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley targeted in swatting incident

(Reuters) -Authorities responded to a fake emergency at the South Carolina home of Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley last month after a man claimed to have shot a woman and threatened to harm himself at her home, according to town records obtained by Reuters.

The previously unreported “swatting” incident is among a wave of violent threats, bomb scares and other acts of intimidation against government officials, members of the judiciary and election administrators since the 2020 election that have alarmed law enforcement ahead of this year’s U.S. presidential contest.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

The left isn't perfect by any means, but what carkin said is true, ultimately the left cares about people........and I'm not talking about politicians.

As far as the ndp goes, they do some stupid things, but all we ha e to do is remember just how horrible 12 years of the BC Libs was.  Give me Eby over Clark a million times over.

Glen Clark was just as bad as Cristy Clark.  He had to resign in disgrace. Even his replacement had to resign. So both parties have gone through alot of crappy leaders. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

That's a changing of the guard as the largest generation in the history of human civilization (and the biggest sell out generation) fades into irrelevancy and young people start to say that the way things are is not the way things are going to be.  

I'm all for fir it, the deeply narcissistic boomers have f***ed us all.  I'm glad to see young people trying to change the status quo 

Are you talking about the young people who spend their entire days on tik tok and Snapchat making videos and taking selfies and doing fuck all for our economy? Those young people?  

My sister is a baby boomer. She worked her ass off to help out our country. Most of Vancouver was built by baby boomers. The baby boomers kids are the ones that have reaped the benefits of the hard work of the boomers not the other way around. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It was another tweet I saw. They are coming from all over so who knows how many will show up. 

I read (scanned) that Vice article and it said the same number. 700k. But what you are suggesting is that it is the number estimated coming from all over?

I get that. I was hoping for some drone footage of a massive convoy. Even the tweets you posted, while looking big, once you start counting trucks you get a sense of how ridiculously large even 1000 trucks would look.

Trucker convoys kinda make me laugh though. Even if it was 2500 trucks...how many people is that? maybe 3 or 5k? 

The rest of the 'army of god' better be en route via plane, train and other automobiles for a proper civil war to get off the ground.

Wait, or do they have gravy seals packed in the back of the truck trailers like ....well, illegal immigrants?

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Exactly 

@stawns the left is no longer what you think it is. 

Republicans and Democrats together are part of a uniparty that forms the establishment. 

Biden is a war mongerer. Bush and Cheney were war mongerers. 

Nikki Haley would take us even closer to a WW3 if she somehow makes it in. 

Corporations love Democrats as much as they love the Republicans. 

People are electing anti-establishment candidates everywhere because they're sick and tired of the carefully PR manipulated image that the same old people are giving them. 

None of these politicians are some sort of monsters individually (except James Lindsay), they're just doing what needs to be done to keep the money flowing in established routes. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I read (scanned) that Vice article and it said the same number. 700k. But what you are suggesting is that it is the number estimated coming from all over?

I get that. I was hoping for some drone footage of a massive convoy. Even the tweets you posted, while looking big, once you start counting trucks you get a sense of how ridiculously large even 1000 trucks would look.

Trucker convoys kinda make me laugh though. Even if it was 2500 trucks...how many people is that? maybe 3 or 5k? 

The rest of the 'army of god' better be on route via plan, train and other automobiles for a proper civil war to get of the ground.

Wait, or do they have gravy seals packed in the back of the truck trailers like ....well, illegal immigrants?

Speaking of immigration... 

Did you know that Republicans used to be the party that was in favour of immigration? It was good for corporations, cheaper labour and a bigger consumption market.  

Labour and union leader Democrats were against unlimited immigration because of job protection and plummeting wages. 

It wasn't even that long ago, maybe 20 years. 

Important to keep things in perspective. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Exactly 

Republicans and Democrats together are part of a uniparty that forms the establishment. 

People are electing anti-establishment candidates everywhere because they're sick and tired of the carefully PR manipulated image that the same old people are giving them. 

None of these politicians are some sort of monsters individually (except James Lindsay), they're just doing what needs to be done to keep the money flowing in established routes. 

9E4F6E06-F115-4500-A309-26ED8E5BD62D.gif.103de81cac2f6a230d568b7b73f7803c.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Speaking of immigration... 

Did you know that Republicans used to be the party that was in favour of immigration? It was good for corporations, cheaper labour and a bigger consumption market.  

Labour and union leader Democrats were against unlimited immigration because of job protection and plummeting wages. 

It wasn't even that long ago, maybe 20 years. 

Important to keep things in perspective. 

I'm all for immigration. I am one. 

I hope they get it sorted down there.

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

amara Lich posted that there were 50,000 trucks on the way and Theo Fleury repeated the number on Fox. By the National Post’s math that would come to an 1150 km lineup of trucks.

Thank you for the details!

I was referencing my nephew chirping these claims in another post.

2 minutes ago, Déjà Vu said:

civil war in texas i imagine sometime in the near future

I was asking this of other posters...

Do you believe that the army of god is going to start killing immigrants or shooting at the national guard ?

Edited by bishopshodan

I'll refer to Carlin on this one.  The left cares about people, the right cares about power

Carlin

I love Carlin, but it's funny you mention him as there's many on the left who greatly dislike him as they find him too offensive. The same with other comedians.

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Both sides in the US do that though. Generally the left doesn't require you to live a certain way, where's the religious right loves to force their version of laws on others. 

Where I think the progressives lost the plot is focusing on reacting to the far right, vs focusing on making people's lives better.

Yes generally speaking, but now that we're seeing more on the left adopting this mentality, going against what left views normally stand for, it's a turnoff for many.

When the right appears to be more open minded (in some ways, such as comedy), you know some on the left have pushed the envelope too far.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Glen Clark was just as bad as Cristy Clark.  He had to resign in disgrace. Even his replacement had to resign. So both parties have gone through alot of crappy leaders. 

You might want to revisit the FACTS of the Glen Clark situation, there....but I guess it actually would belong in the 'Canadia Politics' thread, no?

10 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I love Carlin, but it's funny you mention him as there's many on the left who greatly dislike him as they find him too offensive. The same with other comedians.

Yes generally speaking, but now that we're seeing more on the left adopting this mentality, going against what left views normally stand for, it's a turnoff for many.

When the right appears to be more open minded (in some ways, such as comedy), you know the left have pushed the envelope too far.

What does it matter if they're more open minded in reactions to comedy when they're intent on stripping you of your rights and freedoms?

Abortion all but gone, books banned en masse and now this .........

Florida advances law banning children under 16 from using social media

Bill would prohibit teenagers from creating an account, and is now headed to the state’s Republican-controlled senate

Florida lawmakers advanced a bill on Wednesday that would prohibit social media platforms from allowing young teens to have an account while requiring everyone else to verify their age.

The measure prohibits anyone under 16 from creating a new social media account and requires platforms to delete existing accounts held by minors who are younger than 16. It also would require social media companies to delete any personal information from the accounts and for the platforms to use a “nongovernmental, independent, third-party not affiliated with the social media platform” to verify users’ age.

The bill passed the Florida house with a bipartisan 106-13 vote and now heads to the Republican-controlled senate.

“These dopamine hits [from social media] are so addictive, it’s like a digital fentanyl,” Fiona McFarland, a Republican state lawmaker who cosponsored the legislation, said on the house floor on Wednesday, according to Politico. “And even the most plugged-in parent or attuned teen has a hard time shutting the door against these addictive features.”

Vivek Murthy, the US surgeon general, released a warning last year about the dangers of social media for kids. While he said more research was needed to fully understand the effects, “there are ample indicators that social media can also have a profound risk of harm to the mental health and wellbeing of children and adolescents”.

The bill does not name which platforms specifically the bill would apply to but says it would apply to anything that “utilizes addictive, harmful, or deceptive design features, or any other feature that is designed to cause an account holder to have an excessive or compulsive need to use or engage with the social media platform”.

Florida is one of several states that has taken action recently to limit teenagers’ exposure to social media. Last year, Utah became the first state in the country to ban people under 18 from using social media without consent from a guardian. The state also prohibits minors from using a social media account from 10.30pm to 6.30am. An industry trade group is currently suing Utah over the law.

Other states have required the platforms to undertake measures such as children safety assessments and requiring a change in the algorithms that are served to minors. New York City also declared social media a “public health hazard” on Wednesday.

This is a parenting decision pure and simple. Why is the state stripping parents of their rights to raise their children how they see fit?

I don't really think allowing Dave Chapelle to do his comedy act without flack is a fair trade for having your rights and freedoms stripped.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

yea I don't agree that all people on the left actually care about people. A lot of them care about their politics much more. 

24 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Exactly 

I agree, in the US (and Canada to a degree) Tye left is almost exactly the way it's always been, it's the centre and right who are our of skew.  The left has always been about government programs to support the marginalized aspects of society.  Always believed in universal healthcare, free public education and a string social net.  The left has always been on the side of fighting for human rights, for workers rights.  They've always been up in the established sents face about always willing to be forceful when they know that's how it'll be to get things changed.

I'm not talking about politicians, im talking about people.  Corporations own both sides, I agree, I doubt you'd find anyone who'd argue that.  Fortunately in Canada, it's not as big of a problem and our governments do a better job of reflecting the electorate.  No one goes into Canadian politics to get rich. 

However, the only true anti establishment candidates are progressives on the left, the right is fully engulfed in n some completely ridiculous culture war and they no longer even feign at policy being their main draw.  They are a caricature.  They have gone so far right of what "conservative" used to mean that they really aren't even the same movement anymore.  They've completely lost the plot.  

The irony is, the things the "anti establishment" conservatives are screaming about are actually long standing pillars of the left.  They just don't realize it or won't admit it because anything "leftist" is evil.  They just want to hate things, period.

As far as war mongering?  That's the role that the Americans took on after WWII in exchange for being the super power after the war.  I'm no fan of their military, but it's directly responsible for the global world that we've known for the last 70 years.......it's a bit of a paradox.  Hate the American war machine for the hortors it's heaped on the world, but need them to make sure the world we've created is global and relatively safe for all nations

• Cheers 1