US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, stawns said:

The left isn't perfect by any means, but what carkin said is true, ultimately the left cares about people........and I'm not talking about politicians.

As far as the ndp goes, they do some stupid things, but all we ha e to do is remember just how horrible 12 years of the BC Libs was.  Give me Eby over Clark a million times over.

Meh.

The left in Canada (NDP) and. . to some extent, the Liberal Party, grapples with internal ideological diversity. Within these parties, members hold varying views on economic policies, social issues, and environmental concerns. 

Maintaning party unity is a continuous challenge here. Balancing the interests of different factions within the left leads to many internal conflicts which affects the overall effectiveness of the political movement. Differences in approach, strategy, and priorities hinder the ability to present a united front on critical issues.

Economically, finding the balance between progressive social policies and fiscal responsibility is a constant struggle. There's an ongoing debate over how to fund social programs without alienating business interests or negatively impacting the economy.

The left in Canada faces challenges related to ideological diversity, party unity, economic policy balancing, and regional dynamics, etc. It’s sometimes why I find the left, particularly those who are far left, to be quite intolerant. 

Edited by Odd.

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

If they simply don't find it funny, then they can't simply not go to the show. No need to go and ruin it for everyone or put the entertainer at risk.

What happened to live and let live? This is the part some of the left is forgetting.

But that's not how things change, especially in the US, and the millennials (to a degree) and gen z don't want the status quo anymore and they're not afraid to say so.  Chappelle and Mahar can complain about it all they want, but theyre dinosaurs and are terrified of becoming irrelevant, which they quickly are.  Adapt or die, right?  The boomers are culturally irrelevant, genx never mattered anyway and the older millennials are caught in family life right now.  Late millennials and gen x are the ones who are going to dictate the shift, theres no stopping that

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

That was not assuming the worst. It was in the same vein as what you had suggested.

Apologies for wasting your valuable time.

You assumed many other beliefs based on one. That approach is a conversation killer.

We could have dug deeper into it to learn more about each other's perspective, but yes let's not waste anymore time on it.

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Meh.

The left in Canada (NDP) and. . to some extent, the Liberal Party, grapples with internal ideological diversity. Within these parties, members hold varying views on economic policies, social issues, and environmental concerns. 

Maintaning party unity is a continuous challenge here. Balancing the interests of different factions within the left leads to many internal conflicts which affects the overall effectiveness of the political movement. Differences in approach, strategy, and priorities hinder the ability to present a united front on critical issues.

Economically, finding the balance between progressive social policies and fiscal responsibility is a constant struggle. There's an ongoing debate over how to fund social programs without alienating business interests or negatively impacting the economy.

The left in Canada faces challenges related to ideological diversity, party unity, economic policy balancing, and regional dynamics, etc. It’s sometimes why I find the left, particularly those who are far left, to be quite intolerant. 

Agree 100%.  The problem the left in Canada faces is that it makes up about 60-65% of the country and it's impossible to find consensus in everything.  I do think the NDP/Lib partnership has done adecent job of covering a lot of bases......neither side get everything they want, so I guess that means it works.

I think there's consensus on the big picture issues though, the social net, healthcare, education, human rights and climate change

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

But that's not how things change, especially in the US, and the millennials (to a degree) and gen z don't want the status quo anymore and they're not afraid to say so.  Chappelle and Mahar can complain about it all they want, but theyre dinosaurs and are terrified of becoming irrelevant, which they quickly are.  Adapt or die, right?  The boomers are culturally irrelevant, genx never mattered anyway and the older millennials are caught in family life right now.  Late millennials and gen x are the ones who are going to dictate the shift, theres no stopping that

That's fair to an extent, but on the other hand, people like Chappelle and Maher should be able to continue doing what they're doing even if it appeals to a shrinking audience.

Anyone who doesn't like them can easily watch other acts. You mentioned narcissistic behaviour earlier, well I'd argue that trying to shut down anything one doesn't like is a prime example of said behaviour.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think this is very true,

I know you are around youth and will have seen your past students grow.

My many nephews and neices ( 15) aged 2 to 35yrs  are a lot different than a lot of opinions on here. 

They are adapting...evolving 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's fair to an extent, but on the other hand, people like Chappelle and Maher should be able to continue doing what they're doing even if it appeals to a shrinking audience.

Anyone who doesn't like them can easily watch other acts. You mentioned narcissistic behaviour earlier, well I'd argue that trying to shut down anything one doesn't like is a prime example of said behaviour.

But no one is stopping them from doing their acts.  Sure, they get blasted on social media, but that's the blowback to their material.

As far as the attack goes?  That's just mental illness, it's hot nothing to do with politics etc 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Agree 100%.  The problem the left in Canada faces is that it makes up about 60-65% of the country and it's impossible to find consensus in everything.  I do think the NDP/Lib partnership has done adecent job of covering a lot of bases......neither side get everything they want, so I guess that means it works.

I think there's consensus on the big picture issues though, the social net, healthcare, education, human rights and climate change

Agreed. 

It’s funny despite the general cohesion and consensus that’s seen within the Conservative Party, it’s essentially “build more houses!” “reduce the deficit!” “Stop mass immigration!” just all headlines. I see no real solution, just a bunch of cherry picked headlines that’s already well understood to be current issues. 

Then you have ideologues like Pollievre come out the woodwork. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I think this is very true,

I know you are around youth and will have seen your past students grow.

My many nephews and neices ( 15) aged 2 to 35yrs  are a lot different than a lot of opinions on here. 

They are adapting...evolving 

I tell my kids all the time how hopeful they've made me.  So many of them are culturally and politically aware and passionate about the things they believe in.  I truly am very positive about the world they're going to make

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Yes, and that's what makes it interesting. Carlin makes it very clear that context is crucial in discussion.

Therefore many on the right align with his thinking when some on the left seek to shutdown certain discussion regardless of context.

You could just as easily say that some on the right want to shut down certain discussion regardless of context while many on the left align with his thinking. Let’s face it some from each side don’t agree with parts of his humour. The right generally gets a little antsy in their seats when he does bits on guns or religion. 

Carlin is a legend and Chapelle is very, very good. Love them both but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with everything they say. It’s alright if humour makes you uncomfortable once in a while.

24 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

If they simply don't find it funny, then they can't simply not go to the show. No need to go and ruin it for everyone or put the entertainer at risk.

What happened to live and let live? This is the part some of the left is forgetting.

I agree with you here until you focused on the left. Comedians are getting cancelled every day…by both sides.

Yes live and let live, don’t go see someone that offends you. Totally right.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Meh.

Intolerance is the calling card of both ends of the political spectrum. Can’t say I find the far right any more tolerant than the far left.

• ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You could just as easily say that some on the right want to shut down certain discussion regardless of context while many on the left align with his thinking. Let’s face it some from each side don’t agree with parts of his humour. The right generally gets a little antsy in their seats when he does bits on guns or religion. 

Carlin is a legend and Chapelle is very, very good. Love them both but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with everything they say. It’s alright if humour makes you uncomfortable once in a while.

I agree with you here until you focused on the left. Comedians are getting cancelled every day…by both sides.

And what the younger generations are saying is live and let live doesn't mean you get to target historically marginalized groups anymore and then say "it was just a joke" 

The power with the younger generation has definitely shifted to those marginalized parts of society mord ttan it has before.  The nerds and gerks shall rule the future, no question 

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Intolerance is the calling card of both ends of the political spectrum. Can’t say I find the far right any more tolerant than the far left.

The difference being the right is intolerant of those who don't look or think like they do.  The left is intolerant of intolerance

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Agreed

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

But no one is stopping them from doing their acts.  Sure, they get blasted on social media, but that's the blowback to their material.

As far as the attack goes?  That's just mental illness, it's hot nothing to do with politics etc 

Some people try to stop them from doing their acts. That's when I think it's gone too far. Criticism on social media is fair game.

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Some people try to stop them from doing their acts. That's when I think it's gone too far. Criticism on social media is fair game.

One incident with Chappelle, as far as I know, and the guy has a gun and a knife.  He wasn't offended by the act, that was mental illness

35 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I may be focusing more on the left here because we know this is something done by the right. Instead of the left doing the same, I think it'd be better if neither side did.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

One incident with Chappelle, as far as I know, and the guy has a gun and a knife.  He wasn't offended by the act, that was mental illness

Not referring to just Chappelle here, but in general. There are a growing number of occasions where some people try to cancel an act if they know it's coming to their town.

Granted not always successful, but I still don't like that approach.

7 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Protest Convoy Headed to Southern Border Is Calling Itself an ‘Army of God’

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9adk/trucker-convoy-eagle-pass-texas-border-dispute-christian-nationalism

Man, you guys can't call out my news sources and then post something from the far left activists from vice. That ain't real news either. 

They interviewed an Antifa member and he killed a guy in a Trump shirt two weeks later. Now they are almost bankrupt. Vice is ten times more politically activist than rebel news. At least Rebel news never got anyone killed.

4 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Man, you guys can't call out my news sources and then post something from the far left activists from vice. That ain't real news either. 

They interviewed an Antifa member and he killed a guy in a Trump shirt two weeks later. Now they are almost bankrupt. Vice is ten times more politically activist than rebel news. At least Rebel news never got anyone killed.

Cool,

Do you know anything about these claims in the article from this dude?

In a Friday morning appearance on Fox Business, GOP Congressman from Texas Keith Self, who has promoted the convoy, suggested that as many as 700,000 vehicles could participate and echoed organizers, saying it is intended to be a peaceful demonstration. 

I'm curious......the Army of God is upon us!