US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

For him? I'm sure it wasn't....

Multiply 4,733 by 7, divide by 4, add 37.,5. Whats the answer?

Remember, no pen and paper, you must do it in your head.

Less than 2 percent of people in this thread can do it. 

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Not referring to just Chappelle here, but in general. There are a growing number of occasions where some people try to cancel an act if they know it's coming to their town.

Granted not always successful, but I still don't like that approach.

Like drag story hour?

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If you're claiming that Trump did this, you're full of shit.

I just tried it and it took me a while.

I kept losing track adding up the different figures,  7 times 4000, 7 times 700 etc, then adding all those figures together.

Same with the division. 

I did eventually get there.

I admit I checked my figure with a calculator to be sure I was right.

We didn't have calculators at school until form 6, last year of high school.

We had to learn to to add up with our minds.

My father who was a aircraft design engineer taught me to use a slide rule in primary school however I never used it at school.

At the Mt.Hotham darts competition, they called me the human calculator, as each dart went in I would add up the scores instantly, doubles, triples, as the third dart went in I usually announced the score.  

I loved math at school.

A mathematician believes that proving something mathematically makes that statement true.

It also provides an explanation/ understanding as to why you came to that conclusion.

I forgot most of my higher math decades ago.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

It took me about 5 minutes but I did it.  I come from a time where we did everything by hand in school.  We didn’t use calculators.  So it wasn’t as hard for me.  But most likely the kids today will never be able to do it.

You start by putting the 7 underneath the 4733 and multiply.  In my mind I could do that in 30 seconds.  33,131.  The division was the hardest.  I had to remember a few numbers going back to my long division days.  So that took most of the time.  8,282.75.  Then adding the 37.50 took 5 seconds. 8,320.25.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

I just tried it and it took me a while.

I kept losing track adding up the different figures,  7 times 4000, 7 times 700 etc, then adding all those figures together.

Same with the division. 

I did eventually get there.

I admit I checked my figure with a calculator to be sure I was right.

We didn't have calculators at school until form 6, last year of high school.

We had to learn to to add up with our minds.

My father who was a aircraft design engineer taught me to use a slide rule in primary school however I never used it at school.

At the Mt.Hotham darts competition, they called me the human calculator, as each dart went in I would add up the scores instantly, doubles, triples, as the third dart went in I usually announced the score.  

I loved math at school.

A mathematician believes that proving something mathematically makes that statement true.

It also provides an explanation/ understanding as to why you came to that conclusion.

I forgot most of my higher math decades ago.

I remember at UBC my favourite course was Calculus.  Some of the answers to a question took 2-3 pages to answer.  It was very challenging but for me I loved the challenge and it was fun and exciting.  I still remember my professor.  He was as blind as a bat.  I always sat at the top rows in a class of 200.  He had these huge glasses on.  He had to bring the book 3 inches from his face to see it.  Was hilarious. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It took me about 5 minutes but I did it.  I come from a time where we did everything by hand in school.  We didn’t use calculators.  So it wasn’t as hard for me.  But most likely the kids today will never be able to do it.

You start by putting the 7 underneath the 4733 and multiply.  In my mind I could do that in 30 seconds.  33,131.  The division was the hardest.  I had to remember a few numbers going back to my long division days.  So that took most of the time.  8,282.75.  Then adding the 37.50 took 5 seconds. 8,320.25.

Totally brother,  I didn't get to that first figure as fast as you did, but got way slower after that. 

Not making excuses however I have already mentioned on this board the cognitive issues I have in relation to all the concussions I have experienced.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I remember at UBC my favourite course was Calculus.  Some of the answers to a question took 2-3 pages to answer.  It was very challenging but for me I loved the challenge and it was fun and exciting.  I still remember my professor.  He was as blind as a bat.  I always sat at the top rows in a class of 200.  He had these huge glasses on.  He had to bring the book 3 inches from his face to see it.  Was hilarious. 

I only had a secondary education, I blew my chance at a tertiary education.

That was all on me, the bad decisions I made.

What really rubs salt into that wound is I, like everyone else at that time, was entitled to a free University education.

This ended in 1989.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

If you're claiming that Trump did this, you're full of shit.

Bone Spurs graduated from the Wharton School of Business.  It is ranked higher than MIT and Harvard for its MBA program.  In the 1960’s you didn’t use a calculator so everything was done by hand and memory.  Bone Spurs also had lots of time to study as he got a deferment from military duty for the Vietnam War as you well know.  So I actually do believe he could do it.  

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bone Spurs graduated from the Wharton School of Business.  It is ranked higher than MIT and Harvard for its MBA program.  In the 1960’s you didn’t use a calculator so everything was done by hand and memory.  Bone Spurs also had lots of time to study as he got a deferment from military duty for the Vietnam War as you well know.  So I actually do believe he could do it.  

I'm sure he did as much of his own work as the guys on D1 football scholarships.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 4

5 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I work at a college as a janitor even though I feel like I'm smarter than most of the people who go there. Sometimes I see an equation written on a blackboard like half an equation and... I just figure it out.

Skratch Labs Apple Cider GIF by Skratch Labs

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Me too but i dropped out so i found my own way of doing it.

I multiply it by 3 in my head and then double it and add another 4733. I got 33,131 also. To divide by four, you imagine its an ounce of weed and you want make 4 quarters. An ounce of weed is 28 grams. 7 grams in a quarter so 33 would be just under 8. It would be 7.89 or something like that.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How come nobody talks about Bill Clintons deferment? I imagine it's the same for all the over privileged around the world.

56 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

How come nobody talks about Bill Clintons deferment? I imagine it's the same for all the over privileged around the world.

But what about the Clintons? Weak....   And it did come up during, you know, when he ran for president (if I recall right). But you know that was 20 years ago so not current to anything. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rob Eh said:

Because Bill Clinton isn't running for president in 2024....

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rob Eh said:

Yeah and  nobody ever talks about Grover Cleveland paying $300 to have  another man serve for him. What’s up with that?

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

"Trump Suggests 98% of His Supporters Would Fail Cognitive Decline Test"

😉

• Haha 1