US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

You guys are getting the reference right but the movie wrong. I am disappoint. 

What's the movie, then? I was really excited to get a pop culture reference; it doesn't happen too often....

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

I'll admit my ignorance, and fall back on how little attention I pay to pop culture. But it's a Will Ferrell movie?

No, it's a Steve Brule movie, one of the best to always do it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Fwiw I took calculus in the mid 90's from UBC for my engineering course. Nothing would even remotely require more than one page to complete, much less one page itself. Google some sample calculus equations if you need proof. Idk what that poster was talking about but it's not calculus. 

Having taken honour calculus in first year and then going into Applied Science at UBC in the '90s, I fully agree with what JJJJS asserts, as it matches my experience of taking calculus courses during the completion of my degree.  Even partial differential equations needed to answer questions in some of the upper-year courses wouldn't run more than a page.

I mean, I suppose it's possible to take up 3 pages, 

but then you'd probably need to be writing at larger than this font size AND MAYBE EVEN TAKING A PAGE OUT OF HOCKEYGOD77'S BOOK OF WRITING IN BLOCK LETTERS.  

:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

When it comes to Trump some get stiffed and some get stiffy.

At nearly 78 and in absolutely putrid physical condition, I doubt he is sexually active. Even the little blue pill isn't going to help him, and you can be certain Melania isn't going to help him either. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I wanna see him get asked these questions during the presidential debate

Show us how easy it is

He won't debate because he can't respond to anything off the top of his head, he just keep replaying the old grievances and lies and campaign crap. He hasn't avoided the debates because he thinks he's above them, he avoids them be cause he knows he'd be buried in a battle of intellect and wits and that he can't control the narrative. He is clearly in mental decline and the more media coverage he gets over the next several months will inevitably reveal how epically unsuited he is for the presidency. To the MAGA world it won't matter, he already owns those people, but the undecideds, virtually every Democrat, most Never-Trumper Republicans and the millennials won't support him. However, P.T. Barnum once observed that nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people, so there's always a chance he'll get elected. Cue: R.E.M and It's the End of the World As We Know It.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The math question actually wasn’t that hard. Sorry to say. I’m sure there are lots of 77 year old educated men who could do it. 

I doubt it.  I multiplied 4,733 x 1.75 (which no one here seemed to do) and added 37.5 to get the answer. It took a long time to get the answer in my head. 

I’m almost 70., so I often lose my keys, wallet etc and I forget what I had for breakfast. Don’t consider myself to be out of the ordinary. I just don’t see a lot of people in my cohort, being able to solve the problem. Just my $.02.

• Cheers 4

So the party that has been going on and.on about the border.  Border this and border that.  They decided to censure one of their guys because he dared to work with Democrats on...checks notes...the border.  

Both sides though. 

https://www.newsweek.com/oklahoma-republicans-censure-senator-border-deal-1864619

Oklahoma Republicans Censure Sen. James Lankford Over Border Deal

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Pretty sure this is a hoax. The clue is this is way too conciliatory for chucking someone under the bus for Trump. If he was really done with Habba he'd call her a 'brainless bimbo' etc. 

I'm not sure.  For him to do that, he'd have to tell the truth for the first time in his life.

Before I go to bed, I thought it would only be fitting to send “thoughts & prayers” to my colleague, Lauren Boebert. It’s my understanding that she placed 5th in her first straw poll of the election cycle. Now how many of y’all think BoBo gonna try to convince us that polls don’t matter… of course unless they are trash for Biden & great for Trump!

• Haha 2

Further to that, there's a guy on X who is trying to say that if the left has Taylor Swift, then the right needs someone to equal her. His choice is Lauren Boebert. Somebody responded that they couldn't be equal. He remarked, "Except that Taylor Swift isn’t a grandma". 

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our homework assignment was to solve one question. Sometimes it took up to 3 pages to solve it and you had to show your work. I’m sure if you had actually taken a Calculus class in school you would know this. 

The mathematical question that was posed for a cognitive test was 10 times easier than any Calculus question I had to solve in school. Anyone with basic multiplication and long division mathematics skills would be able to solve it, especially people who grew up not using a calculator in school. 

I did in high school and UVic. Never had one take 3 pages though. Not calling you a liar I just never experienced that. Also that question wasn't on the damn test. He is lying and made up random numbers on the spot. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Further to that, there's a guy on X who is trying to say that if the left has Taylor Swift, then the right needs someone to equal her. His choice is Lauren Boebert. Somebody responded that they couldn't be equal. He remarked, "Except that Taylor Swift isn’t a grandma". 

For a second there before seeing cigarette in her mouth, I thought Bobo was crouching down for another reason. 

• Haha 1