US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

The key takeaway is how he performed with groups he's supposed to be losing support with like African Americans and Latinos. They 'came home' in a big way.

The only polls that matter are on election day. Elections the last 6 years have been lop sided.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The key takeaway is how he performed with groups he's supposed to be losing support with like African Americans and Latinos. They 'came home' in a big way.

The only polls that matter are on election day. Elections the last 6 years have been lop sided.

Yeah, there's a lot of parts to voting that polls just don't account for. They just take a sample size which could favour one side of the other.

Polls don't account for:

- Unlikely voters

- Voters who don't do polls

- Who's more likely to answer the poll

- Bias towards the wording of the poll's questions

- Peer pressure on who's answering

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, there's a lot of parts to voting that polls just don't account for. They just take a sample size which could favour one side of the other.

Polls don't account for:

- Unlikely voters

- Voters who don't do polls

- Who's more likely to answer the poll

- Bias towards the wording of the poll's questions

- Peer pressure on who's answering

Polls this early also saw Clinton destroying Trump.

Things will change between now and the election one way or the other.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • chaos 1

15 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Polls this early also saw Clinton destroying Trump.

Things will change between now and the election one was or the other.

The only thing I perhaps should mention is that in 2016, that was the year everyone took the voting for granted which is what got Trump into power in the 1st place. The elections that have happened since: 2018, 2020, 2022.... they've all seen republicans losing more than they gained. Basically people learned their lesson in taking such elections for granted.

For similar reasons, I don't see 2024 as being a good comparison to 2016. That being said, in both cases, polls are never going to be accurate.

Edited by The Lock
  • chaos 1

I'd love to see the DNC and RNC private polls.  They spend the ridiculous amount of time and money breaking down voting into minutia as small as how certain neighborhoods are most likely to vote based on their voting history.  That's why both party's gerrymandering efforts are so effective in the states they control and why the Republicans are always getting in trouble for grouping minority voters together in order to lessen their impact on Congressional seats.

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Even looks a bit like Jesus except he's white. lol

I like to think of Jesus as an Ice Dancer, dressed in an all-white jumpsuit, and doing an interpretive dance of my life.

EDIT: Well this copy and pasted poorly 😛 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Haha 1

Here's one that House QOP and TRUMP want killed.   Yet, the border and undocumented immigration is a problem. 

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/04/1226427234/senate-border-deal-reached

Negotiators release $118 billion border bill as GOP leaders call it dead in the House

Trump once again confirmed he would impose 60% tariffs on Chinese imports, or higher

If you have your eye on a nice new laptop or whatever, keep an eye on Trump's threats to jack prices higher. Trump has already said he's place a 60% tariff on imports from China:

Over the weekend he spoke in an interview, on Fox’s “Sunday Morning Futures.”

• confirmed he is considering a plan to impose tariffs of 60% or higher on Chinese goods in his potential second term
  • “We have to do it,”
  • said he might even go higher: “Maybe it’s going to be more than that.”
  • has also said he would impose a blanket 10% tariff on all U.S. imports

-

Obviously this has implications for the inflation outlook also. There is absolutely zero that a higher Fed interest rate could do about prices jumping a lot higher if this happens, but what the Fed can, and will, do is raise rates to drive down demand and stop inflation expectations rising, as best they can.

Anyway, all speculation at this stage. Although Trump is basically a lock to win the Republican nomination when the time comes for Biden vs. Trump it'll be a contest.

Trump lost the 2020 presidential election to Joe Biden by a larger than expected margin.

54 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Can anyone help with explaining why they would vote for Trump, if they were eligible?

More importantly, what bills do you think the republicans will bring forward to improve American lives? 

@Rob Eh @Wiggums @Sabrefan1?

What can the average american expect to improve under Trump? 

I am none of those people but I would guess it's related to being healthier and wealthier under Trump. 

21 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Trump once again confirmed he would impose 60% tariffs on Chinese imports, or higher

If you have your eye on a nice new laptop or whatever, keep an eye on Trump's threats to jack prices higher. Trump has already said he's place a 60% tariff on imports from China:

Over the weekend he spoke in an interview, on Fox’s “Sunday Morning Futures.”

• confirmed he is considering a plan to impose tariffs of 60% or higher on Chinese goods in his potential second term
  • “We have to do it,”
  • said he might even go higher: “Maybe it’s going to be more than that.”
  • has also said he would impose a blanket 10% tariff on all U.S. imports

-

Obviously this has implications for the inflation outlook also. There is absolutely zero that a higher Fed interest rate could do about prices jumping a lot higher if this happens, but what the Fed can, and will, do is raise rates to drive down demand and stop inflation expectations rising, as best they can.

Anyway, all speculation at this stage. Although Trump is basically a lock to win the Republican nomination when the time comes for Biden vs. Trump it'll be a contest.

Trump lost the 2020 presidential election to Joe Biden by a larger than expected margin.

Did you see China's stock market today?

12 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Did you see China's stock market today?

Yup, doesn't have anything to do with this. Trump has said stuff like this before. The drop in the Chinese market is from the fallout of property developer Evergrande's collapse.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Here's one that House QOP and TRUMP want killed.   Yet, the border and undocumented immigration is a problem. 

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/04/1226427234/senate-border-deal-reached

Negotiators release $118 billion border bill as GOP leaders call it dead in the House

Well yeah, they close the border to illegals after 5000 have crossed? And that's just the ones they count. Laughable.

20 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yup, doesn't have anything to do with this. Trump has said stuff like this before. The drop in the Chinese market is from the fallout of property developer Evergrande's collapse.

The Trump 60% tariffs (bad idea) doesn't help. China is a in a whole heap of trouble. I think they go after Taiwan soon to offset the bad news. Countries often use war to prop up their governments. 

• chaos 1

4 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The Trump 60% tariffs (bad idea) doesn't help. China is a in a whole heap of trouble. I think they go after Taiwan soon to offset the bad news. Countries often use war to prop up their governments. 

China wouldn't pay the tariffs. US importers would and pass it along to the consumer. It may cause less demand for the imports.

I think it's only a matter of time before China swallows up Taiwan.

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

China wouldn't pay the tariffs. US importers would and pass it along to the consumer. It may cause less demand for the imports.

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

That is likely to set off WW3, if we aren't already on that path. 

Taiwan is an amazing place to visit. The people are awesome. 

14 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Not US, but right leaning Nayib Bukele won El Savadors Presidency with 85% of the vote. Those are legendary numbers. 

When you turn a country from a gang infested violent hell hole to the safest on that continent (stats wise) you will get support even if some questionable shit occurs during the clean up. This has actually directly corelated into worse issues in neighboring countries such Ecuador. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gnarcore said:

When you turn a country from a gang infested violent hell hole to the safest on that continent (stats wise) you will get support even if some questionable shit occurs during the clean up. This has actually directly corelated into worse issues in neighboring countries such Ecuador. 

The riff raff is on the run. MS13 has some heavy spots in the US. 

11 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

That is likely to set off WW3, if we aren't already on that path. 

Taiwan is an amazing place to visit. The people are awesome. 

I bet it doesn't set off anything apart from sanctions and worthless condemnations at the UN. I don't think there is any appetite for a full on war with China over Taiwan. Especially after the invasion of Ukraine. What happened when China rolled over Hong Kong? Nothing apart from worthless condemnations at the UN. Sadly, that's a sign of things to come.

42 minutes ago, Malibu said:

Well yeah, they close the border to illegals after 5000 have crossed? And that's just the ones they count. Laughable.

And the majority of "illegals" entered legally.   Visa overstays and such.  Improving the bureaucratic side of things will help things.  This is a decades long problem (heard that before) and razor wire at the border isn't going to solve it.  Nice picture so the grifters in right wing media grift land can get the morons all riled up.  

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Can anyone help with explaining why they would vote for Trump, if they were eligible?

More importantly, what bills do you think the republicans will bring forward to improve American lives? 

@Rob Eh @Wiggums @Sabrefan1?

What can the average american expect to improve under Trump? 

You're asking the wrong person.  I'm voting for Jill Stein for a 3rd time.

I practice what I preach, and I preach more parties and more choices.  I've had no party affiliation for the entire 32 years that I've been eligible to vote.

As for Trump, my guess is people like him because he's a populist who says what many want to hear.  Grover Cleveland is the only US president who was able to win a second non-consecutive term in office.  He was both the 22nd & 24th president.  Benjamin Harris (#23) wasn't a bad president, he just became unpopular because of high inflation, mostly on imported items, coupled with high government spending.  High inflation and high spending may also be a couple of Biden's undoings in this election.  Although Harris' deficits and spending were intentional and Biden's was partially due to the circumstances of his presidency.  Both Trump and Biden "printed" large amounts of money during their terms and spent huge amounts thanks to the COVID situation.

• Like 1