US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm sure the Dems would love to take credit for it, but from my perspective, this one is purely self-inflicted.

The one caveat perhaps worth mentioning is how Biden encouraged the Republicans to help make the bill in the 1st place. Essentially, he called their bluff by putting the ball in the Republican's court.

I still don't like Biden overall, but he does every now and then make a smart move.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yeah nice try Biden blah blah blah

Except of course the admission and statement of ZERO cooperation that started under Obama with the "Party of No" and has continued unabated every second they didn't have power.  That's over 12 years TWELVE YEARS where one party outright, flat out staunchly and adamantly refuses to work together with the other half of the US simply because "reasons"

The sad thing is, when people of partisanship make their comments or statements made, there is always something to show they are not only lying, but most likely stupid as well, except their arrogance and self involvement leaves them little ability to understand either.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/republican-party-obstructionism-victory-trump-214498/

https://swampland.time.com/2012/08/23/the-party-of-no-new-details-on-the-gop-plot-to-obstruct-obama/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/apr/26/democrats-gop-plot-obstruct-obama

Even Republicans realize they are the party of no and they are rightfully worried about it. The potential Senate border and immigration deal would have at least given them something to write down in their achievements column. Another shot to their own feet is the bipartisan tax bill they fought hard to get included as part of the immigration bill will go out with the bathwater.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/s-embarrassing-republicans-worry-no-achievements-run-2024-rcna131902

“We have nothing. In my opinion, we have nothing to go out there and campaign on,” the Arizona Republican said on the conservative network Newsmax. “It’s embarrassing.”

Anchor Chris Salcedo responded with a bemused chuckle. “I know,” he said. “The Republican Party in the Congress majority has zero accomplishments.”

54 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

You can deny the facts as much as you want, but they are facts:

• This is a bi-partisan bill, with the lead negotiator being a Republican from Oklahoma
  • Endorsed by the Border Services Union
  • Endorsed by the WSJ
  • Endorsed by multiple Republicans
  • Republicans are the ones who have been clamoring for Biden to address the border issue. Now they are making sure he can't.

But not endorsed by the 'popular commentator' who threatened Senator Lankford.

The political ads practically write themselves.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

But not endorsed by the 'popular commentator' who threatened Senator Lankford.

The political ads practically write themselves.

My first instinct was Hannity, but after listening to it, it sounds more like the kind of thing Bannon would say....

• chaos 1

7 hours ago, Wiggums said:

The Democrats whole shtick was to label Trump racist.  The wall, his border ideas and policies, all racist, they took him down during the election with these blasphemous claims and now they want his help to fix the border, right before the next election?

Yeah nice try.  Biden failed

You’re in fine form here. Blowhard said it, so it must be true.

IMG_7747.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wiggums said:

The Democrats whole shtick was to label Trump racist.  The wall, his border ideas and policies, all racist, they took him down during the election with these blasphemous claims and now they want his help to fix the border, right before the next election?

Contrary to current MAGA doctrine, Trump is not divine...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Interesting who's allowed to suggest votes are rigged & who isn't.

So her own party cheated her then.  Nevada was a closed primary.  That means only members of the QOP could vote in the QOP primary.   

And a lot of the big names went with the state QOP and only participated in the caucuses they held on the side.  

She sucks.  She's losing big time.  And she knows it.

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Trump took himself down with his lackluster and incompetent handling of the Covid crisis that cost hundred of thousands of American lives and within his own voter base.

Delaying the implementation of the war powers act to produce medical equipment needed and telling states to fend for themselves. Hoarding medical supplies at a time of emergency with his son in law to sell to the highest bidder. Starting the whole anti mask nonsense and recommending his voters inject bleach instead. Not to mention the 17,000 deaths linked to his pushing of hydroxychloroquine.

Why are you advocating for that modern day Benedict Arnold again? Actually that's poor form to Arnold. He actually served his country to begin with.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Supreme Court hearing over. For sure they’re going to overturn the lower court’s decision. Trump will be allowed to seek the nomination. 

Court adjourned until Feb 16.

The second amendment really was designed to take care of issues like the vermin currently infesting the SCOTUS.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not looking good at SCOTUS for keeping Trump off the ballot.

This was a long shot anyway....

They did it too early.

Should have waited for when Trump actually gets convicted in the DC case by the jury before trying this. 

Now the scotus may just effectively nullify that amendment. Though I will be pissed if the reasoning they used is that the president is somehow not an officer of the US. 

Edited by 24K

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

They did it too early.

Should have waited for when Trump actually gets convicted in the DC case by the jury before trying this. 

Now the scotus may just effectively nullify that amendment. Though I will be pissed if the reasoning they used is that the president is somehow not an officer of the US. 

S.E. Cupp made the point that this case is good for Donald Trump no matter how it shakes out.

If the court decides in favor of the Plaintiffs, Trump gets to run on the "rigged election" platform. If the Defense wins (which I believe they will) it undermines Jack Smith's Jan 6th case .....

I think she might be right about that, but before we go on about how the Dems are shooting themselves in the foot, (which I've already seen on Real Time and several panels on news outlets) let's recall that the push to disqualify Trump was initiated by Republicans:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/08/politics/norma-anderson-trump-colorado-ballot/index.html

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

S.E. Cupp made the point that this case is good for Donald Trump no matter how it shakes out.

If the court decides in favor of the Plaintiffs, Trump gets to run on the "rigged election" platform. If the Defense wins (which I believe they will) it undermines Jack Smith's Jan 6th case .....

I think she might be right about that, but before we go on about how the Dems are shooting themselves in the foot, (which I've already seen on Real Time and several panels on news outlets) let's recall that the push to disqualify Trump was initiated by Republicans:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/08/politics/norma-anderson-trump-colorado-ballot/index.html

Yeah I know it is the repubs pushing for it.

Bill Meher is a baffon so no surprised there that he did not do any research. 

Same goes for the talking heads that just assumed the dems were pushing this cause it is narratively easy to do so. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

Yeah I know it is the repubs pushing for it.

Bill Meher is a baffon so no surprised there that he did not do any research. 

Same goes for the talking heads that just assumed the dems were pushing this cause it is narratively easy to do so. 

It wasn't actually Maher, it was this bald headed, gay guy that he has on all the time. (Can't remember his name though)

Maher didn't push back though. Probably didn't want to mess with his image of being a "both sides" guy....

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Party first, America second. We've known this already for a long time.

Republicans are not who you vote for if you want America to prosper.

exactly where Poilievere wants to take us, the whiney little sob. He looks at the gong show in the US and wants us to be that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Supreme Court hearing over. For sure they’re going to overturn the lower court’s decision. Trump will be allowed to seek the nomination. 

Court adjourned until Feb 16.

Wow.  Even the liberal justices gave Colorado a beat-down.  The audio of that hearing was very telling.  I predicted here more than once that they'd keep Trump on the ballot, but I will be slightly surprised if this ends up a 9-0 unanimous decision in favour of Trump.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Wow.  Even the liberal justices gave Colorado a beat-down.  The audio of that hearing was very telling.  I predicted here more than once that they'd keep Trump on the ballot, but I will be slightly surprised if this ends up a 9-0 unanimous decision in favour of Trump.

Ya, I kinda agree with them.  Even though it was Republicans that brought the challenge, it was a little premature.  Keeping him off the ballot opens up a can of worms.  The SCOTUS kinda sets the bar high, as it should be.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ya, I kinda agree with them.  Even though it was Republicans that brought the challenge, it was a little premature.  Keeping him off the ballot opens up a can of worms.  The SCOTUS kinda sets the bar high, as it should be.

Looks like Trump's revenge tour, if elected, begins against his own party unless they do some serious boot licking and butt kissing.

18 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Looks like Trump's revenge tour, if elected, begins against his own party unless they do some serious boot licking and butt kissing.

The Senate Republicans got the ball rolling yesterday....

• Haha 1

Well guess it is technically a win for Biden but probably more of a lose with those comments in the reports.

This is gonna help Trump a lot in his document case especially with that judge. 

Special counsel won't charge Biden for his handling of classified docs, despite evidence he 'willfully retained' materials

He said a potential jury might see Biden as an "elderly man with a poor memory."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/white-house-finishes-review-special-counsels-report-biden/story?id=107047339