US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

39 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

I was talking about 2020, no writers strike then.

Earlier in this thread, a guy posted a deep fake without knowing it was a deep fake. I posted a deep fake on page 15 to see if you guys could tell if it was. None of you did, thats Ironic.

WTF

You posted a deep fake and spent 3 pages claiming it was real.  Trudeau said/did this.  I saw it.  it's real.  Even when it was outright pointed out to you that the literal caption said THIS IS A DEEP FAKE you insisted it was real until someone showed you what a deep fake video was and how it worked.

Why is it always lying and pretending that what really happened didn't happen to you types?  Why not just take the loss?

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Gotta put in the hours or the boss sends them to the front lines at Bahkmut

I don't think he's that type.  The useful idiot comes to mind though

50 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

You're dealing with Harvey. He's not here for debate. He's here to waste your time. He gets off on it.

Is it Harv though?  because if so I am sad he didn't just come back as Harvey Spector.  outside of the trump thread I loved the guy.  he was a gem

Shutdown getting closer

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/government-shutdown-live-updates-millions-in-military-would-go-without-a-paycheck/ar-AA1hsIwT?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f556afb2aab849bfaf98019903a784a7&ei=63#image=1

"

With Congress failing to agree on spending, the U.S. is barreling toward what could be one of the largest government shutdowns in history.

Lawmakers have until the end of the day Saturday to reach a deal to keep much of the government open.

If they don't, 3.5 million of federal workers are expected to go without a paycheck, millions of women and children could lose nutrition assistance, national parks would likely close and more.

A government shutdown would be detrimental to the State Department's efforts on the world stage, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said at a news conference Friday afternoon.

"Our work would clearly be affected by this. It would make it harder to do everything we do to try to advance national security. So, we urge Congress not to take this step," Blinken said.

Asked if he would view a continuing resolution that didn't include supplemental funding for Ukraine as a suitable compromise, he didn't answer.

"I'm not going to comment on the specifics of legislative arrangements. That is up to the members of Congress," he said.

A partial government shutdown would hurt military recruitment -- as well as its members, White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Friday.

Military recruitment, which is already suffering, would take a hit in a shutdown and send a "horrible message to young people" and deter them from enlisting, Kirby said.

"Young people … graduating high school here, you know, in the spring, they can be forgiven for thinking, 'Maybe that's not where I want to go. Why would I want to sign up and do that dangerous work, when I can't even guarantee that there's going to be a paycheck for it?'" Kirby said.

While Kirby said there is patriotism and a sense of duty in serving in the military, he said a shutdown hurt service members.

"You start missing a couple of paychecks when you're in active-duty service to the nation, and it starts to hurt. You can't buy groceries, or as many, anyway. Bills are tougher to pay, rent and mortgage payments are tough to cover."

If the government shuts down, an estimated 3.5 million federal workers would have to go without pay – about 2 million of which are in the military.

Unlike shutdowns past, where lawmakers passed appropriations bills to fund the Department of Defense personnel, the White House estimates that 2 million military members will have to without pay if the government shuts down over the weekend.

President Joe Biden, at a farewell ceremony for Gen. Mark Milley, said if the House fails to keep the government open it will have "failed all of our troops," going as far as calling it a "disgrace."

Austin Carrigg, a military spouse, spoke to ABC News Live about the impact a partial government shutdown will have on her family. Carrigg said she and her husband, Master Sgt. Joshua Carrigg will be in a life-or-death situation if they don't receive a paycheck because they might not be able to afford medication for their 11-year-old daughter, who has Down syndrome, a congenital heart defect, metabolic disorder and recently suffered a catastrophic stroke.

"It really feels like a smack in the face that they think so little of us that they're unwilling to pay our troops while they are going through this negotiation," Carrigg explained about her frustrations with lawmakers. "We understand that negotiations have to happen and that everybody takes a stand. But that stance shouldn't be on the backs of our military families and that's what they're doing this time."

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Shutdown getting closer

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/government-shutdown-live-updates-millions-in-military-would-go-without-a-paycheck/ar-AA1hsIwT?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f556afb2aab849bfaf98019903a784a7&ei=63#image=1

"

With Congress failing to agree on spending, the U.S. is barreling toward what could be one of the largest government shutdowns in history.

Lawmakers have until the end of the day Saturday to reach a deal to keep much of the government open.

If they don't, 3.5 million of federal workers are expected to go without a paycheck, millions of women and children could lose nutrition assistance, national parks would likely close and more.

A government shutdown would be detrimental to the State Department's efforts on the world stage, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said at a news conference Friday afternoon.

"Our work would clearly be affected by this. It would make it harder to do everything we do to try to advance national security. So, we urge Congress not to take this step," Blinken said.

Asked if he would view a continuing resolution that didn't include supplemental funding for Ukraine as a suitable compromise, he didn't answer.

"I'm not going to comment on the specifics of legislative arrangements. That is up to the members of Congress," he said.

A partial government shutdown would hurt military recruitment -- as well as its members, White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Friday.

Military recruitment, which is already suffering, would take a hit in a shutdown and send a "horrible message to young people" and deter them from enlisting, Kirby said.

"Young people … graduating high school here, you know, in the spring, they can be forgiven for thinking, 'Maybe that's not where I want to go. Why would I want to sign up and do that dangerous work, when I can't even guarantee that there's going to be a paycheck for it?'" Kirby said.

While Kirby said there is patriotism and a sense of duty in serving in the military, he said a shutdown hurt service members.

"You start missing a couple of paychecks when you're in active-duty service to the nation, and it starts to hurt. You can't buy groceries, or as many, anyway. Bills are tougher to pay, rent and mortgage payments are tough to cover."

If the government shuts down, an estimated 3.5 million federal workers would have to go without pay – about 2 million of which are in the military.

Unlike shutdowns past, where lawmakers passed appropriations bills to fund the Department of Defense personnel, the White House estimates that 2 million military members will have to without pay if the government shuts down over the weekend.

President Joe Biden, at a farewell ceremony for Gen. Mark Milley, said if the House fails to keep the government open it will have "failed all of our troops," going as far as calling it a "disgrace."

Austin Carrigg, a military spouse, spoke to ABC News Live about the impact a partial government shutdown will have on her family. Carrigg said she and her husband, Master Sgt. Joshua Carrigg will be in a life-or-death situation if they don't receive a paycheck because they might not be able to afford medication for their 11-year-old daughter, who has Down syndrome, a congenital heart defect, metabolic disorder and recently suffered a catastrophic stroke.

"It really feels like a smack in the face that they think so little of us that they're unwilling to pay our troops while they are going through this negotiation," Carrigg explained about her frustrations with lawmakers. "We understand that negotiations have to happen and that everybody takes a stand. But that stance shouldn't be on the backs of our military families and that's what they're doing this time."

Speaking of Mark Milley’s retirement…this was a nice touch.

IMG_9609.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

Earlier in this thread, a guy posted a deep fake without knowing it was a deep fake. I posted a deep fake on page 15 to see if you guys could tell if it was. None of you did, thats Ironic.

Yeah, I remember that. That guy was YOU! Since you refer to yourself as someone else, I have to ask, are using multiple accounts?

And the vid you posted on page 15 was not a deep fake, it was just edited. See quote from the vid.>

I am an investigative journalist and I compiled and edited this video to showcase the most poignant parts of Gervais hosting moments of the Golden Globe Awards.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 2

I didn't say that, i'm an RFK jr guy.

Em just made it even worse for us by doing this rap battle though, unfortunately.

Just destroyed his own career while insuring Big Trump gets re-elected.

Eminem had nothing to do with this, it's another edit job, made by Hi-Rez. You just got bamboozled again.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 2

I can only speak for myself, but I rarely watch the videos people post in these threads. Deepfakes aside, they're usually carefully edited to convey a partisan message and therefore useless to debate.

I only went back and watched the Trudeau deepfake after a bunch of other posters had commented on it. TBH, I was a bit shocked at how poorly it was done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I don't think he's that type.  The useful idiot comes to mind though

Is it Harv though?  because if so I am sad he didn't just come back as Harvey Spector.  outside of the trump thread I loved the guy.  he was a gem

This forum has been open 2 weeks. You have a guy show up on a brand new hockey forum and head immediately for the US politics section and start spewing the exact same argumentative, obtuse BS as you know who. You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out. I suppose Ribs could always confirm.

Couldn't agree less with your assessment of him.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I can only speak for myself, but I rarely watch the videos people post in these threads. Deepfakes aside, they're usually carefully edited to convey a partisan message and therefore useless to debate.

I only went back and watched the Trudeau deepfake after a bunch of other posters had commented on it. TBH, I was a bit shocked at how poorly it was done.

I'm mostly reading at work and watching videos would be frowned upon.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

This forum has been open 2 weeks. You have a guy show up on a brand new hockey forum and head immediately for the US politics section and start spewing the exact same argumentative, obtuse BS as you know who. You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out. I suppose Ribs could always confirm.

Couldn't agree less with your assessment of him.

True enough but it’s great entertainment. It’s not like some loseroo on an obscure hockey form will have any effect on the real world. We get to laugh and be entertained! That’s what’s great about Merica. It’s not the actual substance but more the entertainment. Just look at His Orangeness.  “Are you not entertained?”  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True enough but it’s great entertainment. It’s not like some loseroo on an obscure hockey form will have any effect on the real world. We get to laugh and be entertained! That’s what’s great about Merica. It’s not the actual substance but more the entertainment. Just look at His Orangeness.  “Are you not entertained?”  

It appears our ideas of what constitutes entertainment are different. I find it boring and a complete waste of time. I'm certainly not reading pages of back and forth with a "loseroo".

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

You were? :classic_unsure:

You said you were watching the Impeachment Inquiry and then you watched Kimmel and Colbert....

Did you travel back in time? :classic_huh:

I'm not going back today up the paragraph but i said i watched the impeachment inquiry hearings yesterday and i watched the elcltion hearings in 2020. Hours and hours of them and some of them were democrats, just rare honest ones.

2 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

I'm not going back today up the paragraph but i said i watched the impeachment inquiry hearings yesterday and i watched the elcltion hearings in 2020. Hours and hours of them and some of them were democrats, just rare honest ones.

Then i watched those hearings when a fat baldheaded lesbian form Detroit got up and threatened violence against them. She was even more insane than that yelling lady yesterday. You guys love it when they yell like lunatics.

Justin Trudeau Yes GIF by Patriot Act

7 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

image.gif.201d8222343dded7209e560b7d991998.gif

• Cheers 2