US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

Well guess it is technically a win for Biden but probably more of a lose with those comments in the reports.

This is gonna help Trump a lot in his document case especially with that judge. 

Special counsel won't charge Biden for his handling of classified docs, despite evidence he 'willfully retained' materials

He said a potential jury might see Biden as an "elderly man with a poor memory."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/white-house-finishes-review-special-counsels-report-biden/story?id=107047339

I don't understand how this could help.  They admit that there is insufficient evidence that this could meet the "beyond reasonable doubt" standard.

Also, the clear difference is that the documents that TRUMP had were requested to be returned to the government.  TRUMP retained.  TRUMP tried to hide.  TRUMP was issued a subpoena and still hid documents.  All resulting in a search warrant executed on his property where documents were discovered.  

Had TRUMP turned over all of the documents, even up to the subpoena being issued, this case would never had been brought against him.  It was the retention of documents post subpoena that was the straw.  The point where "beyond a reasonable doubt" was crossed.  It's a slam dunk he's guilty.  Period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I don't understand how this could help.  They admit that there is insufficient evidence that this could meet the "beyond reasonable doubt" standard.

Also, the clear difference is that the documents that TRUMP had were requested to be returned to the government.  TRUMP retained.  TRUMP tried to hide.  TRUMP was issued a subpoena and still hid documents.  All resulting in a search warrant executed on his property where documents were discovered.  

Had TRUMP turned over all of the documents, even up to the subpoena being issued, this case would never had been brought against him.  It was the retention of documents post subpoena that was the straw.  The point where "beyond a reasonable doubt" was crossed.  It's a slam dunk he's guilty.  Period.

The judge is deep red maga so common sense goes out the window there.

It will help in that they decided to not charge Biden even with willful retention and disclosure. It will help Trump in his argument that he is not treated equally.

Not saying he won't get a guilty verdict but whatever he is probably gonna get less count against him now.

We are staring at obstruction of justice onky now more than compromise of state secrets, which is a way lesser charge. 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

The judge is deep red maga so common sense goes out the window there.

It will help in that they decided to not charge Biden even with willful retention and disclosure. It will help Trump in his argument that he is not treated equally.

Not saying he won't get a guilty verdict but whatever he is probably gonna get less count against him now.

We are staring at obstruction of justice onky now more than compromise of state secrets, which is a way lesser charge. 

Except, here we have that recording of him doing just that.  The incident with that Aussie rich guy and the subs.  More than one example of him compromising state secrets.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Your points are absolutely correct. but I agree with @24K

It doesn't really matter what the facts are, Trump and his proxies are going to hammer away at the "double standard", even though the two incidents have glaring differences.

Unfortunately, there will be people swayed by this. Hopefully, there are a lot more who will look at it objectively and see the clear difference in intent.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Your points are absolutely correct. but I agree with @24K

It doesn't really matter what the facts are, Trump and his proxies are going to hammer away at the "double standard", even though the two incidents have glaring differences.

Unfortunately, there will be people swayed by this. Hopefully, there are a lot more who will look at it objectively and see the clear difference in intent.

Those arguments will sway the rubes in public opinion, but they won't really fly in court.  His problem wis trying to hide and retain documents AFTER a subpoena was issued for him to return them.  His problem is him divulging state secrets and waving secret documents to people who did not have clearance.  There are recordings of this.  The Aussie rich guy admits to it publicly.

He can claim a double standard, but it really isn't.  Like not even close.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why do nice guys get cancer and asshats like Pumpkinhead keep walking the Earth?

It's a pity that the managed to survive Covid.  Exterminating Agent Orange would have made the pandemic a lot easier to stomach.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Those arguments will sway the rubes in public opinion, but they won't really fly in court.  His problem wis trying to hide and retain documents AFTER a subpoena was issued for him to return them.  His problem is him divulging state secrets and waving secret documents to people who did not have clearance.  There are recordings of this.  The Aussie rich guy admits to it publicly.

Oh, for sure.

Apologies. I didn't realize we were talking about helping Trump's court case. I agree that it will not. It will only help in the court of public opinion....

• Cheers 2

This is what happens when grifter media pushes BS nonstop.  You get rubes out looking for justice.  You get moron filled convoys.  LOL

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/07/guardian-angels-curtis-sliwa-sean-hannity-fox-news-live-tv

New York vigilantes take down ‘migrant’ on live TV – but he was from the US

Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa claimed to Fox News’ Sean Hannity that man had been shoplifting, but NYPD has no evidence

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Problem is per the report, the special console found evidence of Biden doing exactly the same thing divulging classified information to his ghost writer who also doesn't have clearance. Albeit I doubt it is even close to the level of state secret Trump divulged. 

Point is it is gonna help him lessen his charges/sentence, not out right allow him to get out scout free. 

Also remember we are talking about a jury here so double standards will influence their decision. 

5 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Wow.  Even the liberal justices gave Colorado a beat-down.  The audio of that hearing was very telling.  I predicted here more than once that they'd keep Trump on the ballot, but I will be slightly surprised if this ends up a 9-0 unanimous decision in favour of Trump.

you have to admit, its pretty wild how trump seems to be able to do whatever he wants. He clearly tried to pul of an insurrection, but its like no on can actually do anything. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

you have to admit, its pretty wild how trump seems to be able to do whatever he wants. He clearly tried to pul of an insurrection, but its like no on can actually do anything. 

Like one of the Supreme Court justices said today, the US federal government can actually charge him with insurrection under federal law, under a federal statute that has nothing to do with the constitutional amendment meant for confederates.  The DoJ has chosen not to actually charge him under that quoted statute.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Like one of the Supreme Court justices said today, the US federal government can actually charge him with insurrection under federal law, under a federal statute that has nothing to do with the constitutional amendment meant for confederates.  The DoJ has chosen not to actually charge him under that quoted statute.

why? are they afraid of being accused of making it political? if thats the case then they are nuts, then there's no recourse for trying to take over your government by force. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

why? are they afraid of being accused of making it political? if thats the case then they are nuts, then there's no recourse for trying to take over your government by force. 

I haven't looked up the quoted statute yet but my guess is that Trump's actions don't meet the wording of it.  I think that's why the Supreme Court brought it up.  They wanted to know if that's why the DoJ hasn't charged him under it.

*edit* When the Supreme Court talks, what they say isn't necessarily restricted to the person they are actually talking to or even to anyone sitting in the court room.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No matter who wins the election, the next president of the United States will have some degree of age related mental issues.  This is depressing.

At least Biden started off playing with a full deck.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Because it would be incredibly hard to prove as opposed to what he was actually charged with. Like did he explicitly state go break into the capital building to the unhinged mob of mouth breathers? 

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No matter who wins the election, the next president of the United States will have some degree of age related mental issues.  This is depressing.

If Biden wins, I don’t think he will serve full 4 years.

I see him stepping down for health reasons and passing the torch to the VP.

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

He ought to ditch Harris, by her respectful resignation of course, and install a younger politician that can carry the presidential ball if Biden drops it, misplaces it or forgets about it. 

Right now though Biden is doing well enough. Another 4 years at that stress level? I dunno. If the US is wary of him behind a steering wheel, do they really want him behind ‘the wheel’ of the US and the World? 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I can easily see both not making the full term. 

• Cheers 2