US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Hitler would be the only recent historical figure that I wouldn't want to hear an interview with if I were alive in the 40's.

The only reason why I say that is because he was never real when in the public eye.   There was only one private recording of Hitler that ever got out to the public and he was soft spoken and didn't yell out scripted words.

why would Putin be any less publicly scripted? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

So you're of the opinion that he's the only conservative journalist that has requested an interview? I doubt that.....Putin agreed to the interview because Carlson has been pushing his agenda and he sees it as free propaganda.

You're guessing.  Neither of us have any idea if anyone from Fox asked for an interview.

You're also being far too kind to Carlson by calling him a journalist. He's a professional liar and there are $780 million pieces of evidence to back that up.

Like I said before, Tucker went with the cash to be a news actor with Fox.  He'll follow the cash with this new venture too would be my guess.  Right now he's doing journalism in my estimation.  If the money is better to go back to doing scripted news acting, he'll do that again.

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Because Tucker is a conservative and right or wrong, Putin likely believes that he'd get a less confrontational sit-down if interviewed by a conservative. 

Tucker is a propagandist not a journalist imo. No surprise that he got an interview since the Kremlin regularly turned down requests for interviews from serious journalists and news organizations who are known for asking tough questions.

Peskov himself confirmed that the Kremlin has received multiple interview requests from Western journalists. But Moscow sees all these outlets as biased and telling one-sided stories.

They chose Carlson because his position is different, he said.

• Thanks 1

BTW, I have to shake my head at the latest controversy regarding Biden mixing up the names of countries.....

It wasn't too long ago that Trump mixed up Hungary and Turkey......confused Pelosi with Haley....mixed up Bush and Obama.....he even mixed up his ex-wife with the woman he sexually assaulted and claims to have never met....

....and the reaction is, crickets....

But Biden's recent gaffe is supposedly the death knell.....:classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Tucker is a propagandist not a journalist imo. No surprise that he got an interview since the Kremlin regularly turned down requests for interviews from serious journalists and news organizations who are known for asking tough questions.

Peskov himself confirmed that the Kremlin has received multiple interview requests from Western journalists. But Moscow sees all these outlets as biased and telling one-sided stories.

They chose Carlson because his position is different, he said.

They chose Tucker because he is a conservative and right or wrong, they believe they'll get a more desirable interview from a conservative journalist.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

no, but you seem to support the idea of Carlson doing the interview. 

I support the idea of people having the freedom to do what they want to do.  Nobody was forced to watch it.  I doubt 99% of people even watched the entire interview.  Most likely just watch clips of it that were clipped out and posted on Twitter/X.

Edited by Sabrefan1
spelling
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

They chose Tucker because he is a conservative and right or wrong, they believe they'll get a more desirable interview from a conservative journalist.

hmm, there's a phrase for that... 

Painting this as conservative vs liberal plays into what Putin wants. This is about a mass murderer getting an audience from a useful idiot. I guarantee he's gained new allies in the US and around the world. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Hitler would be the only recent historical figure that I wouldn't want to hear an interview with if I were alive in the 40's.

The only reason why I say that is because he was never real when in the public eye.   There was only one private recording of Hitler that ever got out to the public and he was soft spoken and didn't yell out scripted words.

An interview for the historical record after the fact is very different from actively trying to shape public perception in the middle of a war.  One is a historical record, the other is a weapon of the state. This should be treated as a part of Russia's information warfare against the West, no different than the troll farms and election interference arms of the FSB.

Again, Russia and Putin are well known for killing Journalists that don't speak their tune, there's nothing in Tucker's interview and questions that is not directly controlled and curated by Putin.

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I support the idea of people having the freedom to do what they want to do.  Nobody was forced to watch it.  I doubt 99% of people even watched the entire interview.  Most likely just watch clips of it that were clipped out and posted on Twitter/X.

freedom. So what about the responsibility part that goes with it?

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Disagree. They chose him because he has been pushing what they’re selling long before the interview.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You're guessing.  Neither of us have any idea if anyone from Fox asked for an interview.

Like I said before, Tucker went with the cash to be a news actor with Fox.  He'll follow the cash with this new venture too would be my guess.  Right now he's doing journalism in my estimation.  If the money is better to go back to doing scripted news acting, he'll do that again.

I don't think I am. Amanpour said as much. The idea that nobody but so-called "liberal" journalists would have requested an interview is silly.

Bret Baier could have conducted an actual interview. Someone from the WSJ could have done so as well. Carlson was chosen because Putin knew that Tucker would be lobbing him softballs throughout the entire interview....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

They chose Tucker because he is a mercenary without any principles but saving his own skin. Putin is very familiar with dealing with these types.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Considering this president is from the nation that is famous for killing any journalist that writes anything negative about the regime, I highly doubt that the interview or the questions were even miniscully controlled by Tucker. He just read them like a good toddler.

I highly doubt even Tucker Carlson would show up in Russia if he was being intimidated.

Just now, DSVII said:

They chose Tucker because he is a mercenary without any principles but saving his own skin. Putin is very familiar with dealing with these types.

Same as my above response to you...

I highly doubt even Tucker Carlson would show up in Russia if he was being intimidated.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

hmm, there's a phrase for that... 

Painting this as conservative vs liberal plays into what Putin wants. This is about a mass murderer getting an audience from a useful idiot. I guarantee he's gained new allies in the US and around the world. 

Let's put this in hockey terms.  This is the equivalent of Stan Bowman interviewing Graham James, and people arguing that it's worth hearing.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He is towing the Russian party line, so he thinks he is safe, plus, types like him will gravitate towards the strongmen type of leaders. So a combination of Greed (no job at fox, not the same outreach) and aligned self interest.

Although I don't doubt that Putin has dirt on him, it was a very funny moment in the interview when Putin made that barb to Tucker that he once tried to joined the CIA but failed.  Basically can read that as a "you're mine now, don't you forget it" moment.

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

An interview for the historical record after the fact is very different from actively trying to shape public perception in the middle of a war.  One is a historical record, the other is a weapon of the state.

Huh?

This should be treated as a part of Russia's information warfare against the West, no different than the troll farms and election interference arms of the FSB.

I have no doubt Putin wants to shape people's opinions about his actions.  The US and the West do the exact same thing.

Again, Russia and Putin are well known for killing Journalists that don't speak their tune, there's nothing in Tucker's interview and questions that is not directly controlled and curated by Putin.

I disagree.  Like I've said twice, there's no way Carlson steps foot in Russia if he was being intimidated.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

He is towing the Russian party line, so he thinks he is safe, plus, types like him will gravitate towards the strongmen type of leaders. So a combination of Greed (no job at fox, not the same outreach) and aligned self interest.

Although I don't doubt that Putin has dirt on him, it was a very funny moment in the interview when Putin made that barb to Tucker that he once tried to joined the CIA but failed.  Basically can read that as a "you're mine now, don't you forget it" moment.

Apparently you know Carlson extremely well...  Did you guys have a falling out at some point in the past?

*sarcasm, I'm not being mean*

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Disagree. They chose him because he has been pushing what they’re selling long before the interview.

Maybe you're correct.  I can only guess at what Putin's intentions were and why he chose Carlson to broadcast them.

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Apparently you know Carlson extremely well...  Did you guys have a falling out at some point in the past?

*sarcasm, I'm not being mean*

Haha Carlson has been a well known TV personality since his CNN days, everyone knows him well. And you can follow his actions all the way to Fox. 

Not a falling out, but the guy is known as a partisan hack that seeks ratings through division. That's been his playbook for two decades.

Fox News had to make a legal argument that Tucker is an entertainer and no sane person would take him seriously to avoid being sued (it only worked up to an extent). So i'll stand by that definition. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't think I am. Amanpour said as much. The idea that nobody but so-called "liberal" journalists would have requested an interview is silly.

Sure, absolutely.  Any journalist worth their salt would want an interview with Russia's president.

Bret Baier could have conducted an actual interview. Someone from the WSJ could have done so as well.

I'd still like to see either of them do an interview.  I'd watch/read those as well.

Carlson was chosen because Putin knew that Tucker would be lobbing him softballs throughout the entire interview....

Possibly.  The only thing Tucker pushed Putin on that risked pissing him off was his final questions where he tried different tactics, from begging to pushing, to try and get Putin to release the imprisoned New York Times journalist to him.