US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Haha Carlson has been a well known TV personality since his CNN days, everyone knows him well. And you can follow his actions all the way to Fox. 

Not a falling out, but the guy is known as a partisan hack that seeks ratings through division. That's been his playbook for two decades.

Fox News had to make a legal argument that Tucker is an entertainer and no sane person would take him seriously to avoid being sued (it only worked up to an extent). So i'll stand by that definition.

Like I said in other posts here, Tucker follows the money and was definitely what I call a "news actor" at both CNN and Fox.  When he was at CNN, I couldn't stand "Crossfire" for that reason among others.

I think with his new venture, he's trying to get attention by being a "rebel" journalist. 

I'm not a Carlson fan, but I can at least watch him now whereas I couldn't stand him at CNN.  By the time he was at Fox, I just mostly caught clips of his Fox show on YouTube.

These days I can only watch the news acting in bite sized pieces.

5 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Presidents can pardon themselves.  They have unfettered pardoning power at the federal level.  The DoJ ruled on that while he was still president.

He asked them to look into it when he was considering pardons for himself and his family.  Funny thing is, one of his aides convinced him not to because it would "tarnish his legacy".  I could barely type that last part without laughing.

I think it will be safe to say that whoever gave him that advice won't be serving in his second administration if he is re-elected.

Actually, we don't really know because it really hasn't happened.  Although the pardoning powers are explicit in the fact that the POTUS cannot pardon for state crimes or impeachment, US law and the Constitution is quiet on the subject.  The DOJ in 1974 ruled that no one can be judge of their own case, so that should put a presidential self-pardon as a no.  This is likely why Nixon didn't self-pardon and had Ford do it.

The acceptance of pardons is potentially a guilty plea.  You can only receive a pardon for something that has already happened.  You cannot issue a pardon for murder, then go murder.  It's the opposite.  

I still stand by what I said.  TRUMP will try a self-pardon.  That pardon will be challenged.  The Supreme Court will have to rule and will be setting actual precedent in the case for all time.  I have a feeling that the self-pardon will be ruled as a no.  Shooting someone on 5th Ave and such.

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Actually, we don't really know because it really hasn't happened.  Although the pardoning powers are explicit in the fact that the POTUS cannot pardon for state crimes or impeachment, US law and the Constitution is quiet on the subject.  The DOJ in 1974 ruled that no one can be judge of their own case, so that should put a presidential self-pardon as a no.  This is likely why Nixon didn't self-pardon and had Ford do it.

The acceptance of pardons is potentially a guilty plea.  You can only receive a pardon for something that has already happened.  You cannot issue a pardon for murder, then go murder.  It's the opposite.  

I still stand by what I said.  TRUMP will try a self-pardon.  That pardon will be challenged.  The Supreme Court will have to rule and will be setting actual precedent in the case for all time.  I have a feeling that the self-pardon will be ruled as a no.  Shooting someone on 5th Ave and such.

At some point, I'll Google and see if I can find the articles where the DoJ said that a president could pardon himself.

Some Democrats even flipped out and considered trying to pass a law removing that power, but from what I can remember, some of the Democrat leadership wasn't on board with that idea which scuttled any attempt.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

At some point, I'll Google and see if I can find the articles where the DoJ said that a president could pardon himself.

Some Democrats even flipped out and considered trying to pass a law removing that power, but from what I can remember, some of the Democrat leadership wasn't on board with that idea which scuttled any attempt.

Here's the 1974 memo

https://www.justice.gov/file/20856/download

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

You can issue a dated blanket pardon, or at least try to.  So if you murdered someone in office on federal grounds in the District of Columbia, gave yourself a pardon, you technically shouldn't be charged with it according to DoJ.  Although the Congress and DC district attorneys would try and appeal to the courts to nullify that pardon for sure.

Once a case hits the Supreme Court, they can interpret the Constitution differently than the DoJ and being a co-equal branch of government can overrule the DoJ every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Nixon didn't want to take that chance.  Trump would in a heartbeat.

I still stand by what I said.  TRUMP will try a self-pardon.  That pardon will be challenged.  The Supreme Court will have to rule and will be setting actual precedent in the case for all time. 

I 100% agree.

I have a feeling that the self-pardon will be ruled as a no.  Shooting someone on 5th Ave and such.

I 75% disagree.

15 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I think that if the court takes up the immunity case Trump is appealing to them, that will give strong hints if not outright answers to the extent of a president's powers as far as criminality goes and his ability "to get away with it".

He has so much riding on that case, including his freedom and the possibility of being able to finish his second term as president.

• Cheers 1

The whole self-pardon and presidential immunity arguments have a flaw. 

The President has no real power to prevent impeachment.  If the President has self-pardon power and/or is immune from prosecution, then impeachment is the only "punishment".  It has powerful consequences for a 1st term POTUS as they can be barred from a 2nd term or holding any public office in the US.

The flaw is what happens if in the final days of a President's 2nd term in office, they commit a crime.  After that day, they can no longer run for POTUS.  Any other office would be a demotion.  There is no time for Congress to impeach said President and the Senate to have the impeachment trial.  At best it would be a ceremonial exercise if Congress does impeachment after the President has left office.  

In essence, the POTUS would be above the law, free to break any and all laws.  Hell, it could even happen almost at any time in a 2nd term as there really isn't any tangible  penalty involved for being impeached in the 2nd term besides the stain of that President's legacy and their premature removal from office.  They would essentially be exempt from any and all criminal justice.  The opposite of what any reasonable founding father intended.

• Vintage 2

I think the fact that we're so glibly discussing the idea of a POTUS being able to pardon himself for a criminal conviction....and noting that the reason for discussion being that such a scenario has never happened in the 250 years of the Republic and not specifically covered by the Constitution, should tell us everything we need to know about Donald Trump.

People are treating it as a normal topic of conversation, even though it would considered an absolutely absurd idea in any other first world country on earth....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Answering questions during an interview controlled by said journalist is called journalism.

Are you suggesting ticket had control of the questions he was asking Putin or if the direction of the interview?

Really?

Just gonna softball this suggestion.  Why would Tucker who has spoken numerous times about Russia being let off the hook or of Ukraine surrendering or if Putin being misunderstood be granted an unprecedented  one on one interview when tens of thousands of western journalists can't even reach his director of media?

• Thanks 1