US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, Malibu said:

The results are a disaster. Inflating the economy with a printing press? A country over run with illegals? What policy has he invoked that is exceptional?

It was interesting, but as usual Carlson's interviewing performance was not great. He does great monologues but is slow on his feet. Putin was impressive but left out alot of history that didn't suit him. 😄 Sad how leftys are afraid to let us hear him.

Absofrickinlutely. 

I've already posted some. The rest are bare to see as well.

Best recovery from covid, low unemployment, large wage growth, infrastructure bill that was long overdue, electoral systems strengthening, low gas prices, investments in solar, microchip manufacturing, safer communities act, ended the war in Afghanistan, Ukraine support, lowered drug prices and capped insulin at $35 a month, eliminated junk fees, etc etc.

The printing press was Trump and essentially Republicans as a whole, who create huge budget deficits everytime they are in power. 

His term has been a resounding success.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I doubt that. 

This is your ‘safe space’ though…ironically? 

:classic_tongue:

Safer than the Canucks forum.  lol   I keep my opinions to myself there most of the time and just lurk the threads.  As poorly as people take you challenging their political beliefs, challenging any of their beliefs about the Canucks will eat up your spare time responding to the avalanche of anger. 😂

Although this season, I am daring to hope.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No worries.  I had some extra energy to burn today and a few hours of time to kill.

I know there are plenty of people that these days now wish I never came back, but I am who I am.  🤣🤣

I am glad your back. Your posts are informed and balanced. I always enjoy the read. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Duodenum said:

I've already posted some. The rest are bare to see as well.

Best recovery from covid, low unemployment, large wage growth, infrastructure bill that was long overdue, electoral systems strengthening, low gas prices, investments in solar, microchip manufacturing, safer communities act, ended the war in Afghanistan, Ukraine support, lowered drug prices and capped insulin at $35 a month, eliminated junk fees, etc etc.

The printing press was Trump and essentially Republicans as a whole, who create huge budget deficits everytime they are in power. 

His term has been a resounding success.

It is unfortunate that the good things have to come with the weird personality and graft side.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Safer than the Canucks forum.  lol   I keep my opinions to myself there most of the time and just lurk the threads.  As poorly as people take you challenging their political beliefs, challenging any of their beliefs about the Canucks will eat up your spare time responding to the avalanche of anger. 😂

Although this season, I am daring to hope.

I have huge concerns about a victory by either Trump or Biden. Age related and ethics related in both camps. That being the situation either a Independent candidate steps forward or the DNC talks Biden into retirement. His mental capacity will not stand up to a campaign. He won't be able to camp in his basement this time around. If he stays in the race I suspect many will stay home or even drift to Trump. 

An independent candidate likely splits more DNC voters away and ensures a Trump victory. If the DNC collaborates with centrist GOP politicos they could run a candidate that would beat Trump. Thoughts?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I have huge concerns about a victory by either Trump or Biden. Age related and ethics related in both camps. That being the situation either a Independent candidate steps forward or the DNC talks Biden into retirement. His mental capacity will not stand up to a campaign. He won't be able to camp in his basement this time around. If he stays in the race I suspect many will stay home or even drift to Trump. 

An independent candidate likely splits more DNC voters away and ensures a Trump victory. If the DNC collaborates with centrist GOP politicos they could run a candidate that would beat Trump. Thoughts?

They're going to drug him with every medicine they can to fight his age related dementia while he is running against Trump.  It should keep him clear enough during the debates. Problem is, those medications become less effective over time. 

Even scarier thought.  He's been on them for a couple of years already and they are already beginning to wear off.  If that's the case and Biden wins, there's a very real chance that Kamala Harris becomes president a couple years into Biden's 2nd term. 

The last independent candidate to make waves and grab votes was Ross Perot.  He helped swing the election to Bill Clinton.  There's not enough time left to have a modern day Ross Perot appear and make waves against either side of the political spectrum.  These days, presidential candidates need hundreds of millions of dollars to spend and I don't see anyone on the horizon who will spend that much of their own money.  It's too late for someone to fund-raise anywhere near that amount.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

They're going to drug him with every medicine they can to fight his age related dementia while he is running against Trump.  It should keep him clear enough during the debates. Problem is, those medications become less effective over time. 

Even scarier thought.  He's been on them for a couple of years already and they are already beginning to wear off.  If that's the case and Biden wins, there's a very real chance that Kamala Harris becomes president a couple years into Biden's 2nd term. 

The last independent candidate to make waves and grab votes was Ross Perot.  He helped swing the election to Bill Clinton.  There's not enough time left to have a modern day Ross Perot appear and make waves against either side of the political spectrum.  These days, presidential candidates need hundreds of millions of dollars to spend and I don't see anyone on the horizon who will spend that much of their own money.  It's too late for someone to fund-raise anywhere near that amount.

Isn’t Bobby Kennedy’s son going to run ? 

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Bobby Kennedy’s son going to run ? 

The Democrats have already destroyed him as a serious candidate.  His own gaffes didn't do him any favors either.  At best he'd get .5-1 percent of the vote in the handful of states he can still realistically qualify for because of his name/family recognition.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I keep seeing this mentioned, (granted, from Republicans fear mongering) but I've yet to be given a reason why this would be such a bad thing....The only reason ever given is that "she's unpopular"....

What scares you so much about a Kamala Harris Presidency....and how could it possibly be worse than another 4 years of Donald Trump?

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I keep seeing this mentioned, (granted, from Republicans fear mongering) but I've yet to be given a reason why this would be such a bad thing....The only reason ever given is that "she's unpopular"....

What scares you so much about a Kamala Harris Presidency....and how could it possibly be worse than another 4 years of Donald Trump?

As long as Trump loses it could be to KH or MO. Heck why not both? Wonder which one would be the lead on that ticket? 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As long as Trump loses it could be to KH or MO. Heck why not both? Wonder which one would be the lead on that ticket? 

AS long as Trump loses, it could be a shaved monkey. It would still be a vast improvement over Trump.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

This Pastor says it would be worth another Civil War to put Orange Julius Caesar back on the throne:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/far-right-pastor-civil-war-would-be-worth-it-to-turn-this-nation-back-if-trump-wins/ar-BB1i3Dri?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=eef616e8ca0042f7905767a6f4f832b9&ei=19

During a recent episode of his Truth & Liberty podcast posted by Right Wing Watch, televangelist Andrew Wommack was addressing a point made by a caller who asked how America could have another revolution to convert the United States to a nation that would "use the Bible as the constitution." Wommack then talked excitedly conversations he's had with fellow believers who would "physically fight" for Christian nationalist values.

During a recent episode of his Truth & Liberty podcast posted by Right Wing Watch, televangelist Andrew Wommack was addressing a point made by a caller who asked how America could have another revolution to convert the United States to a nation that would "use the Bible as the constitution." Wommack then talked excitedly conversations he's had with fellow believers who would "physically fight" for Christian nationalist values.

See if you can guess who I vote for to be on the front lines....:classic_dry:

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Here's another thing to consider if you're part of the "both sides" crew....

Biden and Trump are both old. They both forget things and they both are prone to verbal gaffes. But if you're concerned about the mental acuity of the guy in the Oval Office, remember this one thing:

One of these old guys surrounds himself with smart, experienced and capable people....

The other one surrounds himself with people who's only qualification is complete loyalty to him and would never tell him if he was about to do something damaging to the office of the presidency, or the country itself.....or both.

I'll leave it to you to decide which is which.....and which presents the greater danger.

Exactly, for the most part this country has been ran by all the advisors and governmental officials surrounding the presidency. Yes, president is the ultimate decider but there are so many layers around the president. While JB is definitely getting too old to be in politics, he still seems to be listening to the others. With the other guy, there is a very real chance that Kari Lake, MTG,  Matt Gaetz, Roger Stone, Steve Bannon, Stephen Miller might be put in charge of things. Anyone who doesn’t find that to be a scary prospect, is out to lunch.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Exactly, for the most part this country has been ran by all the advisors and governmental officials surrounding the presidency. Yes, president is the ultimate decider but there are so many layers around the president. While JB is definitely getting too old to be in politics, he still seems to be listening to the others. With the other guy, there is a very real chance that Kari Lake, MTG,  Matt Gaetz, Roger Stone, Steve Bannon, Stephen Miller might be put in charge of things. Anyone who doesn’t find that to be a scary prospect, is out to lunch.

Look no further than Jim Benning surrounded by the likes of people like John Weisbrod.  Compare that to Alvin today with a wily vet like JR as advisor/overseer.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Polls indicate that neither Biden or Harris can beat Trump. Time from the DNC nomination convention to the vote in November is 60 days I believe. The DNC has a re-election apparatus. If Biden steps down between now and then it becomes a question of who they replace him with and whether a coalition with disaffected Republicans is deemed necessary? If it is then I think they would beat Trump. What I am saying is the DNC has some quality people who could be president. What happens if Dem Manchin and Mitt Romney ( and other GOP ) support whoever is chosen?  

36 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Polls indicate that neither Biden or Harris can beat Trump. Time from the DNC nomination convention to the vote in November is 60 days I believe. The DNC has a re-election apparatus. If Biden steps down between now and then it becomes a question of who they replace him with and whether a coalition with disaffected Republicans is deemed necessary? If it is then I think they would beat Trump. What I am saying is the DNC has some quality people who could be president. What happens if Dem Manchin and Mitt Romney ( and other GOP ) support whoever is chosen?  

People have been underestimating Biden for +30 years and he keeps proving them wrong. 

Dems won the mid terms in 2018, Biden won the Presidency in 2020. In 2022 despite losing the House by a sliver Biden had the most successful mid terms in nearly 100 years. What was supposed to be a bloodbath resulted in 8 or 9 House seats lost and a pickup of one Senate seat. 

Just last week the polls in South Carolina said minority groups were fleeing. Biden was expected to get only 68% of the vote. When it actually mattered he got over 96%.

Let’s not forget his opponent in the General is facing 91 felonies. People should stop freaking out and look at the results. The proof is in the pudding Democrats keep winning elections and the common denominator is always Trump. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1