US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

People have been underestimating Biden for +30 years and he keeps proving them wrong. 

Dems won the mid terms in 2018, Biden won the Presidency in 2020. In 2022 despite losing the House by a sliver Biden had the most successful mid terms in nearly 100 years. What was supposed to be a bloodbath resulted in 8 or 9 House seats lost and a pickup of one Senate seat. 

Just last week the polls in South Carolina said minority groups were fleeing. Biden was expected to get only 68% of the vote. When it actually mattered he got over 96%.

Let’s not forget his opponent in the General is facing 91 felonies. People should stop freaking out and look at the results. The proof is in the pudding Democrats keep winning elections and the common denominator is always Trump. 

Seems like younger voters don't participate in these polls.

3 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Seems like younger voters don't participate in these polls.

Independ. voters are the ones that BOTH sides need to win votes from.  NEITHER side can win without getting enough of that voter.  I don't see how the GOP playing to the extreme wing of its base is going to win that support (which is what Dotard has been always doing).  Much like how if the Dems selected a left of center candidate instead of Sleepy Joe.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Whenever the Conservative Party calls me and asks if they can count on my support my answer is always “yes absolutely”.

Never in my life could I even consider voting for them. So I’d take polling with a grain of salt.

Democratic voters put too much faith in the polls in 2016, seems like it's the opposite now. 

21 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Democratic voters put too much faith in the polls in 2016, seems like it's the opposite now. 

The polls that really matter are the ones closer to the actual election.  LOTS can happen between now and the conventions.

I mean, early polls had Shillary clearly ahead.  The polls closer to election day were a lot closer to the actual results.  

27 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

The final aggregate polling was Clinton by 2-3%. The polling indicates popular vote not Electoral College. I think the final popular vote was Clinton by 2.1%

The final polling was entirely accurate.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

People disregarded just how loathed Hillary was (rightly or wrongly) to independ. voters.  And even then, Dotard just barely beat her in terms of electoral votes (he had less overall votes than her).

I mentioned a while back that Dana White is using his influence over mma to push his political views.

Seems the main-stream-media has picked up on it too.

It's sad. Politics should not be involved in sports, at least not pushed by the org/league.

'How Dana White's combat sports help expose young people to right-wing views'

https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reidout-blog/ufc-dana-white-conservative-politics-rcna138009

5 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I keep seeing this mentioned, (granted, from Republicans fear mongering) but I've yet to be given a reason why this would be such a bad thing....The only reason ever given is that "she's unpopular"....

What scares you so much about a Kamala Harris Presidency....and how could it possibly be worse than another 4 years of Donald Trump?

Why did what I wrote make you think that I said it in a negative way?  I was actually just saying it as a matter of fact.  There is a fair chance she will become president if Biden wins a 2nd term.

I'm not a fan of hers, but I would give her every chance to win me over.  If I can give a game show host that chance 8 years ago, I can extend her that same opportunity.

*edit*  I just re-read my post and I get why you thought I was saying it negatively.  The scarier thought was that Biden may already be taking the medicine and it may already be less effective.  That would mean bad things for his remaining years.  Reagan was kept secluded by Nancy because of his mental state for a fair number of years before he passed away.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Polls indicate that neither Biden or Harris can beat Trump. Time from the DNC nomination convention to the vote in November is 60 days I believe. The DNC has a re-election apparatus. If Biden steps down between now and then it becomes a question of who they replace him with and whether a coalition with disaffected Republicans is deemed necessary? If it is then I think they would beat Trump. What I am saying is the DNC has some quality people who could be president. What happens if Dem Manchin and Mitt Romney ( and other GOP ) support whoever is chosen?  

The Democrats already tested the waters with Gavin Newsome as a possible replacement.  The Biden administration put the smack down on that shortly after it started.

I think if the election were held today, Trump would win the electoral college votes and become president.  The vote however isn't for another 9 months and Trump is busy in the courts right now.  Anything can happen in the intervening months until election night.  This has to be the weirdest run-up to any presidential election in my lifetime.

• Cheers 1

Something else you can expect with a 2nd presidential term for Trump: The US leaving NATO:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-s-latest-breathtaking-rally-comment-has-experts-sounding-the-alarm/ar-BB1i5VLg?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=b94f93c002354f739616376c0cd6b73b&ei=29

Trump spoke at a rally in South Carolina on Saturday, telling attendees that he wouldn't defend NATO allies from Russia. Specifically, he said, "One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said, 'Well, sir, if we don't pay and we're attacked by Russia, will you protect us?' I said, 'You didn't pay? You're delinquent?... No I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want.'" He ended by saying you, "gotta pay your pills!"

First of all, this conversation with the "president of a big country" never happened. When Trump refers to someone calling him "sir" it's a tell that he's lying. (actually, opening his mouth is a tell, but the sir part is 100%)

Even though the story is fantasy, the message behind it is telling. Trump doesn't care about America's European allies and I believe he will take the US out of NATO. I honestly don't know how much of the American public would be concerned about this possibility, but what I do know is that it would be music to Putin's ears....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Democrats already tested the waters with Gavin Newsome as a possible replacement.  The Biden administration put the smack down on that shortly after it started.

I think if the election were held today, Trump would win the electoral college votes and become president.  The vote however isn't for another 9 months and Trump is busy in the courts right now.  Anything can happen in the intervening months until election night.  This has to be the weirdest run-up to any presidential election in my lifetime.

For the sake of the free world Michelle Obama has to step up. She’d kick Trumperdoodles orange ass. 

31 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yikes. Imagine hating America so much you'd vote for this.

Biden as a vegetable is a better option. This guy is as evil and anti-democracy as they come.

Could you imagine any other former president ever saying such a thing? My lord.

Edited by Duodenum
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Whenever the Conservative Party calls me and asks if they can count on my support my answer is always “yes absolutely”.

Never in my life could I even consider voting for them. So I’d take polling with a grain of salt.

Futz is the perfect balanced sample.

• Upvote 1