US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Nothing, they get to “own” others, these idiots routinely vote against their own interests.

I have relatives who thinks Trump is basically going to fight against the Anti Christ dems because he's "born again in Christ". And Dems are to blame for everything including underground Pedo rings.

There isn't a lot of nuance there.

Personally I blame the repealing of the fairness doctrine in 87 that led to all these "entertainment" news channels spouting whatever they want.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

True. It's more the fascination with Putin I find interesting. Or is it just a daddy fetish? It's just odd.

He has them wrapped around his finger. It truly is bizarre. It's not long ago when a 'commie' was the enemy. And they are too thick to understand that the US and UK are legally bound to provide security to preserve Ukraine's sovereignty. Russia was too but they tore up that agreement because... Putin is a genius and it's actually NATO's fault? You know because more countries apply to join NATO and the only time NATO has attacked any foreign nation was post 9/11. Putin will say some stuff about Christian values, a man is a man and a woman a woman, and these MAGA clowns cream their pants yearning for this communist dictator to save them from the evil grasp of western democracy. I have not other explanation than only an idiot would actively cheer against their interests.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Why would his base like this idea?

Because people like Tucker Carlson and the MAGA wing of the Republicans have convinced them that Putin is misunderstood and Ukraine isn't worth defending....

Withdrawal from NATO is just the natural next step....Spend tax dollars on things like border walls and whatever happens in Europe happens. This is the essence of America First.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Because people like Tucker Carlson and the MAGA wing of the Republicans have convinced them that Putin is misunderstood and Ukraine isn't worth defending....

Withdrawal from NATO is just the natural next step....Spend tax dollars on things like border walls and whatever happens in Europe happens. This is the essence of America First.

I can understand the US not wanting to always be the world police, but encouraging Putin to invade is just sick. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I can understand the US not wanting to always be the world police, but encouraging Putin to invade is just sick. 

It is, but it's exactly the kind of thing you'd expect of Trump.

I have a couple of thoughts about it. Firstly, the rest of us might have to start thinking about what NATO might look like without the USA. Obviously we'd all have to increase spending, but that's something many people think should happen anyway. We still have 2 nuclear powers without the Americans, so nothing would really change regarding worries about Putin deploying nukes....

I do have to wonder, however, what the point of a nearly trillion dollar Defense budget is, if you don't want to use it? Deploy them all at the Mexican border, I guess? :classic_unsure:

• Upvote 2

Just now, RupertKBD said:

It is, but it's exactly the kind of thing you'd expect of Trump.

I have a couple of thoughts about it. Firstly, the rest of us might have to start thinking about what NATO might look like without the USA. Obviously we'd all have to increase spending, but that's something many people think should happen anyway. We still have 2 nuclear powers without the Americans, so nothing would really change regarding worries about Putin deploying nukes....

I do have to wonder, however, what the point of a nearly trillion dollar Defense budget is, if you don't want to use it? Deploy them all at the Mexican border, I guess? :classic_unsure:

I've wanted Canada to step up militarily for a long time, so if it leads to us actually increasing our manufacturing I'm all for that. 

As far as the US goes we will just have to wait trump out. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I've wanted Canada to step up militarily for a long time, so if it leads to us actually increasing our manufacturing I'm all for that. 

As far as the US goes we will just have to wait trump out. 

The possible instability of another Trump presidency might make the unbelievable, believable. While Trump did not engage in any wars during Trump 1 he did maintain American treaties. Yes, he pressured NATO which he said were not paying their way, Canada included. He hit the Chinese with huge trade tariffs and I suspect tried to hive N Korea away from the Chinese orbit. Well that didn't work. 

The instability I fear is the loss of the USA as world policeman. Right or wrong it has delivered relative global stability since WW 2. If Trump goes insular what can we expect? Not good. For example Venezula threatened Guyana and Biden moved military advisors to that country and threatened Venezula with new trade sanctions. Reassuring to say the least. What would Trump do? Much of global discord is based on economics as countries worldwide struggle with their debt. Almost a universal situation. That reality can manifest in military aggression. 

What does Trump 2 mean to Canada? Nothing good and lots of potential for serious trouble. Many investors see Canada as a means of access to the USA market. I suspect Trump will use tariffs on Canadian goods to get preferential treatment from a cowed Canada. It will work. Canada has debt servicing issues. Will Canada have the political will to chart a more independent course. That cost money and most citizens cannot afford it. The only option would be increased energy exports and that does not happen overnight. I expect hard decisions will have to be made. I fear American, Russian and Chinese ambitions in our territory in the North. If Trump is such a buddy with Putin as many on this thread think will they cut a deal to take what they want in the North from Canada? 

A Trump 2 will breed insecurity world wide. What might restrain Trump is not knowing whether his military will obey him or not? He will be a single term POTUS so restraint will be less likely. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • chaos 1

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The possible instability of another Trump presidency might make the unbelievable, believable. While Trump did not engage in any wars during Trump 1 he did maintain American treaties. Yes, he pressured NATO which he said were not paying their way, Canada included. He hit the Chinese with huge trade tariffs and I suspect tried to hive N Korea away from the Chinese orbit. Well that didn't work. 

The instability I fear is the loss of the USA as world policeman. Right or wrong it has delivered relative global stability since WW 2. If Trump goes insular what can we expect? Not good. For example Venezula threatened Guyana and Biden moved military advisors to that country and threatened Venezula with new trade sanctions. Reassuring to say the least. What would Trump do? Much of global discord is based on economics as countries worldwide struggle with their debt. Almost a universal situation. That reality can manifest in military aggression. 

What does Trump 2 mean to Canada? Nothing good and lots of potential for serious trouble. Many investors see Canada as a means of access to the USA market. I suspect Trump will use tariffs on Canadian goods to get preferential treatment from a cowed Canada. It will work. Canada has debt servicing issues. Will Canada have the political will to chart a more independent course. That cost money and most citizens cannot afford it. The only option would be increased energy exports and that does not happen overnight. I expect hard decisions will have to be made. I fear American, Russian and Chinese ambitions in our territory in the North. If Trump is such a buddy with Putin as many on this thread think will they cut a deal to take what they want in the North from Canada? 

A Trump 2 will breed insecurity world wide. What might restrain Trump is not knowing whether his military will obey him or not? He will be a single term POTUS so restraint will be less likely. 

All of that is valid cause for concern. I do have a bit more faith in our ability to maintain most of our trade with the US since so many states depend on it. We also have tmx coming online soon.

But we have to greatly step up our military presence in the north. The us under Trump is not looking like a reliable partner anymore. Unless maybe @Sabrefan1 can convince us otherwise?

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

All of that is valid cause for concern. I do have a bit more faith in our ability to maintain most of our trade with the US since so many states depend on it. We also have tmx coming online soon.

But we have to greatly step up our military presence in the north. The us under Trump is not looking like a reliable partner anymore. Unless maybe @Sabrefan1 can convince us otherwise?

Not as confident. Selective tariffs could decimate the profitability required to conduct business. It does make me wonder if Trump will reinstitute Keystone XL? Much of that work has been done. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not as confident. Selective tariffs could decimate the profitability required to conduct business. It does make me wonder if Trump will reinstitute Keystone XL? Much of that work has been done. 

It could, but I think the experience we have with individual states will pull us through. Trump can't hurt the economy of 35+ states without risking losing the house and or Senate in midterms. I'm certain he'll do some stupid shit tho.

Looking forward to being able to sell our energy offshore, we are going to need every cent of that.

We really need to ramp things up with our ASEAN partners too.

I think Freeland can do that. I don't think the CPC can think beyond Alberta, or do any better vs Trump. But who knows, maybe PP gets along with Trump? It's all personalities with Trump, maybe he warms to Skippy.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

This is why it baffles me that so many Canadians are eager for another Trump presidency.....

I get why the average American shouldn't care what happens to countries in Europe, (or the countries to the north and south of them) but I just can't understand why my own countrymen are cheerleading for added tariffs on our exports and the world's top military telling Putin to "fill his boots" if he decides he wants to expand into our territory in the north.....

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

One thing I would say to Americans however....if you re-elect Donald Trump and he pulls out of NATO....don't ever let me hear you refer to your POTUS as "the leader of the free world".

You should have stopped doing that a long time ago, but if you put Donald Trump back in the White House, you will have zero claim to that title.....

I think you could wonder if the US military would obey Trump in some of your scenarios? NATO is a huge bonus to US military planning. General Milley did not stand in isolation no matter how he was portrayed. There are constituencies in the USA outside of the DNC and GOP. Trump means instability but so does Biden. It kind of reminds me of the Soviet era as their leaders died off at steady pace until Gorbechev. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I think you could wonder if the US military would obey Trump in some of your scenarios? NATO is a huge bonus to US military planning. General Milley did not stand in isolation no matter how he was portrayed. There are constituencies in the USA outside of the DNC and GOP. Trump means instability but so does Biden. It kind of reminds me of the Soviet era as their leaders died off at steady pace until Gorbechev. 

Trump is on record saying that he plans to install loyalists at all levels of his administration. There won't be another Milley.

• Cheers 1

People, some of them anyway, really piss me off.

Might have ruined some kid's life- and  has seriously messed it up short term, at the very least:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/school-board-official-falsely-suggests-teen-is-transgender-faces-calls-to-resign/ar-BB1i2Lde

"

Utah Gov. Spencer Cox and other local leaders are calling for the resignation of Utah state school board member Natalie Cline after she falsely suggested a girl playing on a high school basketball team was transgender in a now-deleted Facebook post.

The girl quickly became the target of threats and harassment online, with the girl's family speaking out about the incident in an interview with Salt Lake City ABC affiliate KTVX.

“They’re putting pictures of other people’s children on the internet and then allowing people to just bully a child. It’s an adult bullying a child,” said Al van der Beek, the girl's father. “It doesn’t matter what their agenda is or what they think they thought they thought — there’s really no excuse that can merit putting another person’s child on social media and then allowing them to be attacked.”

The family is also calling for Cline, a Republican, to resign or be removed from her seat.

-----------------------------------------

more at link.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Neutron bomb was an inevitability.  It just happened on his watch.  The US had started drawing up plans for it a quarter century or so beforehand.

If WW3 ever does break out, it will be the conventional multiple high-yield nuclear warheads that will do the dirty work of destroying the infrastructure of the nuclear powers.  The neutron bomb was just another scare tactic used to intimidate the Soviet Union.  In that respect, it did it's job.

A Neutron bomb is basically useless as far as a nuclear war goes, it's yield was designed to take out troops on a battle field in a horrible and nasty way, and they decommissioned the final one a few years after the Soviet Union fell.  The ICBM's of the late 60's into the early 70's made the neutron bomb obsolete.

As an aside, I still to this day have occasional intense nightmares of being nuked sitting in my home or being outside out and about.  Even though the Cold War days are long gone, they left quite the lasting scar on the silent generation, baby boomers, and my generation (Gen X).

Personally I believe we, our species, are so fucked up.

We continually find the resources and put in so much effort in finding new ways to fuck each other up.

When so many go hungry, are homeless.

Even you guys, the worlds largest economy, second wealthiest by GDP, can't even properly work out a system to look after your citizens own health care. 

Yet you can spend nearly a trillion on the " military".

I remember seeing an interview with one of the guys that was instrumental in forming the NHS in Britian.

It was not long after the war, he basically stated if we could use those resources to kill each other, surely we can use some of them to look after our fellow citizens.

I know what a Neutron Bomb is.

I started looking into neutron weapons after those rumours that Mags threatened to Nuke Argentina unless Mitterrand gave her the " kill switch" codes for the Exocet Missile after one sank the HMS Sheffield. 

Their are Rumours you guys used Neutron weapons in Iraq in 2003.

I grew up at the same time as you.

I to thought the " grown ups " in the room we're gonna fuck shit up.

It contributed to our, who gives a shit attitude.

Gotta live for now because who knows if there will be a tomorrow.

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

6 hours ago, DSVII said:

On the other side of the ledger is the infamous trail of tears  and the Indian removal acts. And for better or worse his outright annexation of Florida (and the future birth of Floridaman ;)). Not that no president is without his controversies.

A very consequential and interesting president indeed.

Not to mention his enthusiastic promotion of slavery.  He was a truly evil man and Americans should be ashamed that they ever had that subhuman vermin on their currency.

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

One thing I would say to Americans however....if you re-elect Donald Trump and he pulls out of NATO....don't ever let me hear you refer to your POTUS as "the leader of the free world".

You should have stopped doing that a long time ago, but if you put Donald Trump back in the White House, you will have zero claim to that title.....

I have never referred to any leader of any country as the leader of the " free world ".

Could you or anyone else please explain to me what that statement, the free world actually means ?

Do you believe that there aren't forces in our societies that control 

the circumstances of our lives ?

When are you actually free ?

Do you get up every day and do exactly what you want all day, every day of your life ?

Me, the only time I am truly free is when I am riding my bikes, or ski's.

I am so totally focused on what I a doing that nothing else matters.

And when I used to hang out with my son.

That's true freedom right there.

Oh yeah, those years living in the back of my car Ski- bumming at Mt.Hotham.

All day, every day, hanging out with the people I love, in a place I love, doing what I love.

• Huggy Bear 1