US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I can understand the US not wanting to always be the world police, but encouraging Putin to invade is just sick. 

It may not be widely known, but I thought it was...Trump owed Russia a billion or so dollars before he was ever president. My theory is he leans into pUtin being a good guy as either interest or principal is being forgiven based on how well Teump plays along with Putins plans. The thing is, if you are not sure who the smartest person in the room is, it isn't you, and if you are 100% sure it's you, it isn't you. Putin has been playing Trump like a fiddle.

• Vintage 4

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

It may not be widely known, but I thought it was...Trump owed Russia a billion or so dollars before he was ever president. My theory is he leans into pUtin being a good guy as either interest or principal is being forgiven based on how well Teump plays along with Putins plans.

yup that debt is likely whats behind many of Trumps decisions. 

The thing is, if you are not sure who the smartest person in the room is, it isn't you, and if you are 100% sure it's you, it isn't you.

thats a good way of putting it. 

Putin has been playing Trump like a fiddle.

that whole dossier thing was dumb, this has always liked been about money, the only thing Trump cares about other than fame. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

It may not be widely known, but I thought it was...Trump owed Russia a billion or so dollars before he was ever president. My theory is he leans into pUtin being a good guy as either interest or principal is being forgiven based on how well Teump plays along with Putins plans. The thing is, if you are not sure who the smartest person in the room is, it isn't you, and if you are 100% sure it's you, it isn't you. Putin has been playing Trump like a fiddle.

It is also on record from his kids that that is where they got most of their financing after the banks cut them off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

It is, but it's exactly the kind of thing you'd expect of Trump.

I have a couple of thoughts about it. Firstly, the rest of us might have to start thinking about what NATO might look like without the USA. Obviously we'd all have to increase spending, but that's something many people think should happen anyway. We still have 2 nuclear powers without the Americans, so nothing would really change regarding worries about Putin deploying nukes....

I do have to wonder, however, what the point of a nearly trillion dollar Defense budget is, if you don't want to use it? Deploy them all at the Mexican border, I guess? :classic_unsure:

Hypothetically speaking if Trump wins and decides to pull out of NATO I see the following events taking place.

Ukraine is not going to win the war. Trojan horses like Turkey and Hungary will become ever more active.

Also in fighting to assume the “top dog” position would start between U.K, France and Germany.

The only thing that’s keeping Balkans somewhat stable is the U.S, without it things are going to get rough.

I see Trump extorting European nations, pay to stay safe, if you don’t pay you might get attacked.

Biggest problem in Europe in not lack of money for weapons but lack of will to fight and lack of war experience.

There is no substitution for real war, everything you learn in the academy or during basic training goes out the window when bullets start flying.

Putin is going to start using his nuclear leverage ever more. Currently as you pointed out France and U.K have nuclear weapons. I don’t see French sticking their necks out for the rest of the Europe, especially the ones living east of them.

U.K keeps all its active nukes of on subs, 3 of those are parked near Glasgow. Hypothetically speaking if Russians knocked that base out, fate of NATO is in that one sub that’s on patrol.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Jackson's campaign in the south that led to the Battle of New Orleans is a fascinating read. 

Battle of New Orleans.  The US won that battle, but the war had already ended earlier and neither side had a clue. 

The War of 1812 was instrumental in the US creating an actual standing army. 

That was a sad excuse for a war.  Half the states refused to even join in with their militias.  The US, with lesser boats, beat up the Brits on the water and the Brits ran through the few militias on the ground like they were wet tissue paper.

B*stards burned Buffalo to the ground.  😔😂

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, DSVII said:

On the other side of the ledger is the infamous trail of tears  and the Indian removal acts. And for better or worse his outright annexation of Florida (and the future birth of Floridaman ;)). Not that no president is without his controversies.

A very consequential and interesting president indeed.

Definitely not a saint, but he was a very consequential man who helped shape the US.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

All of that is valid cause for concern. I do have a bit more faith in our ability to maintain most of our trade with the US since so many states depend on it. We also have tmx coming online soon.

But we have to greatly step up our military presence in the north. The us under Trump is not looking like a reliable partner anymore. Unless maybe @Sabrefan1 can convince us otherwise?

Canada could disband its military tomorrow and the US would have no choice but to defend Canada.  That's the reality of sharing a border thousands of miles long.  A weak and vulnerable Canada would be a national security risk for the US.

Even the northern provinces would be defended by the US because of the oil in Canada's share of the Arctic.  You know how much the US loves oil.

51 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Battle of New Orleans.  The US won that battle, but the war had already ended earlier and neither side had a clue. 

The War of 1812 was instrumental in the US creating an actual standing army. 

That was a sad excuse for a war.  Half the states refused to even join in with their militias.  The US, with lesser boats, beat up the Brits on the water and the Brits ran through the few militias on the ground like they were wet tissue paper.

B*stards burned Buffalo to the ground.  😔😂

8fihee.jpg

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

if you re-elect Donald Trump and he pulls out of NATO

Congress recently passed a bill that codified into law that only Congress can remove the US from NATO.  They took that decision out of the Executive Branch's hands.

Also, Congress has the power to declare war on any country it chooses to and if a president refuses to obey and deploy the troops, then he/she risks impeachment and quick removal from office.

Edited by Sabrefan1
spelling
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Canada could disband its military tomorrow and the US would have no choice but to defend Canada.  That's the reality of sharing a border thousands of miles long.  A weak and vulnerable Canada would be a national security risk for the US.

Even the northern provinces would be defended by the US because of the oil in Canada's share of the Arctic.  You know how much the US loves oil.

Yea very well could be.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Depends who's in power and who's attacking us.

If it's Russia and the compromised are in power, there may not be any help coming. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:04 AM, RupertKBD said:

Remember all the pearl clutching about liberals wanting to indoctrinate children? Florida has their own plans....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/florida-schoolkids-may-have-to-study-threat-of-communism-in-the-us/ar-BB1i1G4g?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=df14470925944f39ac23cb161f97c95d&ei=102

....but students can't be taught about the atrocities committed by Americans during slavery, because that might cause them "distress"....:classic_rolleyes:

More MSN dribble.

It might have something to do with them being right next to Cuba and a lot of their population being political exiles, no?

Ok then, let's tell them they can't teach their own history because it might offend some marxists?

Edited by Rob Eh
  • Confused 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:46 AM, bishopshodan said:

Its a shame that Biden is so old.

However, that is no reason at all to support Trump....and he's losing his marbles too.

Trump is a threat to US democracy. He is really is a massive pile of shit. Anyone still supporting him just wants chaos. They are the basket of deplorables, they are the racist, sexist, low class, victim-complex, mofos, that just want someone else to blame for their anger and shit lives.

Time for the states to grow up and put this drama made for tv to rest.  Their nonsense is rippling around the world.

Turn off CNN.

Edited by Rob Eh

7 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Depends who's in power and who's attacking us.

If it's Russia and the compromised are in power, there may not be any help coming. 

The US Congress would immediately declare war on Russia and it would be out of the orange one's control.  If he interfered, they would swiftly impeach and remove him. 

Even a Republican congress would flip out if they were defied after a declaration of war.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The US Congress would immediately declare war on Russia and it would be out of the orange one's control.  If he interfered, they would swiftly impeach and remove him. 

Even a Republican congress would flip out if they were defied after a declaration of war.

The maga's would stand with him.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

The maga's would stand with him.

The maga's could cry a raging river. 

Many people were upset that Bill Clinton was impeached (including me) for a hummer by an intern, but Congress did what they wanted to anyways and the vast majority were still re-elected to their seats the next election.

• Cheers 1