US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

More MSN dribble.

It might have something to do with them being right next to Cuba and a lot of their population being political exiles, no?

Ok then, let's tell them they can't teach their own history because it might offend some marxists?

First of all, the word you're looking for is "drivel".

Secondly, Florida kids have managed to grow up beside Cuba for decades without this sort of indoctrination.....

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

The maga's would stand with him.

The reality, I believe, in the US Political zeitgeist is that the Republicans will likely never win another Election in their current evangelical/capitalist coalition without Trump. 
The vast majority of America, enough to ensure Dems have a lock on future elections, disagree with Republican positions on almost everything. Obviously, slightly under half the states still have a majority leaning Republican. I call them the Red Boot states: as the map looks somewhat like a boot to me. Over time the electoral math for a Republican President has eroded and eroded and eroded. Somehow Trump seized the populist support and managed to win for the most consequential four year term in Supreme Court history. The evangelicals and simply small C conservatives know that will never repeat again, such a resounding Supreme Court success. The conservative movement is one of a fight to slow progress, generally speaking, and it is a fight of constantly retreating as progressive views push on through history. I think the Republicans know that Trump is really their best shot, even at defeating an onset dementia patient in Biden. Thus they will "ride or die" with a soon to be convicted felon. The alternative is to lose the house and not win the presidency or the senate in the next cycle. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The maga's could cry a raging river. 

Many people were upset that Bill Clinton was impeached (including me) for a hummer by an intern, but Congress did what they wanted to anyways and the vast majority were still re-elected to their seats the next election.

True, but slick Willy didn't have the cult like adoration trump has.

As things stand today, I fully expect trump to win again. I hope his internal revenge tour is his preoccupation and Canadas ability to maintain good relations with individual states minimizes the harm. Heck we could come out a bit ahead like with aluminum tariffs.

• chaos 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

True, but slick Willy didn't have the cult like adoration trump has.

As things stand today, I fully expect trump to win again. I hope his internal revenge tour is his preoccupation and Canadas ability to maintain good relations with individual states minimizes the harm. Heck we could come out a bit ahead like with aluminum tariffs.

Since Reagan, the only Republican to be re-elected was Bush and he needed 911 to get there. 

I think Trump, while being the Right wing choice so far, pending convictions perhaps, is going to lose in a relative landslide, like 52-48, which is massive in US presidential elections. Maybe closer to 51-49, but still massive as far as history goes. 

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Since Reagan, the only Republican to be re-elected was Bush and he needed 911 to get there. 

I think Trump, while being the Right wing choice so far, pending convictions perhaps, is going to lose in a relative landslide, like 52-48, which is massive in US presidential elections. Maybe closer to 51-49, but still massive as far as history goes. 

Well you have a lot more political experience than I do, and I hope you are correct. I don't see it but hope I'm wrong.

I think Biden is one more gaffe from a point of no return. If he brain farts during the debates trump will be all over it.

I still think replacing Harris has to happen, the only person that seems to like her is Rupert.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Well you have a lot more political experience than I do, and I hope you are correct. I don't see it but hope I'm wrong.

I think Biden is one more gaffe from a point of no return. If he brain farts during the debates trump will be all over it.

I still think replacing Harris has to happen, the only person that seems to like her is Rupert.

The Dems did this to themselves: outside of Michelle Obama, which would be MASSIVE for the ticket, were she to be asked and said yes as a running mate: who could possibly replace Harris and have better success with the electorate?

My wife says it all the time and she is much smarter than me; "They need to groom the next wave, not fight them off as opponents." when speaking about Democrats bringing up the next generation of political stars. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The US Congress would immediately declare war on Russia and it would be out of the orange one's control.  If he interfered, they would swiftly impeach and remove him. 

Even a Republican congress would flip out if they were defied after a declaration of war.

Highly doubt that.

14 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

The Dems did this to themselves: outside of Michelle Obama, which would be MASSIVE for the ticket, were she to be asked and said yes as a running mate: who could possibly replace Harris and have better success with the electorate?

My wife says it all the time and she is much smarter than me; "They need to groom the next wave, not fight them off as opponents." when speaking about Democrats bringing up the next generation of political stars. 

There has to be someone. If Harris did the right thing and declared her intention not to run again, I think a field would open up quickly.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/aileen-cannon-put-on-the-spot-by-jack-smith-s-brilliant-maneuver-legal-expert/ar-BB1i9p0R?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3fa5bab92f9c46a087c4efa61dbc53d2&ei=46

"

Special counsel Jack Smith reminded U.S. District judge Aileen Cannon that she once stopped a defendant from trying to play the same game that she has been letting Donald Trump play.

The former president's legal team has asked the judge to force the Department of Justice turn over even more documents than the 1.3 million pages they've already received to bolster their claims the Mar-a-Lago documents case is a "selective prosecution," but Smith's team reminded Cannon she once worked on another case that limited such fishing expeditions intended to delay the trial, reported The Daily Beast.

--------------------------------------

more at link

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Sadly, a 'large' part of why Drumpf is perceived, by some, as more robust is simply because he is morbidly obese.

A lot of people confuse being overly heavy, with being healthy.

I am starting to get a little too robust myself, superbowl beers didn't help. So bloated. Gonna need a bigger coffee cup.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Sadly, a 'large' part of why Drumpf is perceived, by some, as more robust is simply because he is morbidly obese.

A lot of people confuse being overly heavy, with being healthy.

I think its his mouth and stance. Its the "biggest guy in the room" fallacy. Saw it all the time when I was consulting in Ontario, lots of big guys trying to dominate discussions. It was stupid. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I highly doubt we'll ever find out.  Russia's mediocre armed forces have been exposed and China still isn't at the point where they'll be a serious threat to North America. 

Probably not until the Artic thaws and the countries start bickering over who gets what.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Highly doubt that.

doubt it as well.  Something about the House Repugs shooting down the border bill that they wanted in the first place just to pander to Trump’s political aspirations.  The Republican Party is truly fucked up.

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

doubt it as well.  Something about the House Repugs shooting down the border bill that they wanted in the first place just to pander to Trump’s political aspirations.  The Republican Party is truly fucked up.

They're no more than a terrorist organization at this point, and need to be treated accordingly. The USA absolutely needs the complete denazification of the Republican party to happen immediately.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They're no more than a terrorist organization at this point, and need to be treated accordingly. The USA absolutely needs the complete denazification of the Republican party to happen immediately.

As crappy of a time this is, how do you propose this would even happen? If we're to base this strictly on the primaries, half the registered republicans are voting for Trump. Trump lost 2020 by a narrow margin, so that's 25% of the voters if we're to take those numbers at face value. Obviously that's really simplifying things mind you and it's not going to be that simple.. Still, that's a lot of people.

Edited by The Lock

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

As crappy of a time this is, how do you propose this would even happen? If we're to base this strictly on the primaries, half the registered republicans are voting for Trump. Trump lost 2020 by a narrow margin, so that's 25% of the voters if we're to take those numbers at face value. Obviously that's really simplifying things mind you and it's not going to be that simple.. Still, that's a lot of people.

Prison for Trump and the the rest of the Magats, and remedial education for the vermin that make up his base.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Prison for Trump and the the rest of the Magats, and remedial education for the vermin that make up his base.

So jail 25% of American voters. That's a lot of new jails that need to be built, along with guard hires, etc.

That's also a lot of rural people... so I guess none of us get to eat unless if we have lots of money.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So jail 25% of American voters. That's a lot of new jails that need to be built, along with guard hires, etc.

That's also a lot of rural people... so I guess none of us get to eat unless if we have lots of money.

That's for the people in office actively causing the problems.  The voters can be handled by education. It worked fine for Germany.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

That's for the people in office actively causing the problems.  The voters can be handled by education. It worked fine for Germany.

Okay, just making sure you weren't seriously thinking of jailing that many people. lol