US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its beyond dumb for Trump to come out and say that the way he did, but he is not wrong that NATO countries should have a strict mandatory requirement of 2% of GDP for military budget. Because it is a % of GDP it is fair for all parties and would immensely strengthen NATO. Saying I'm part of NATO so I can decrease my military budget and still feel safe leaves the burden heavily on nations like UK and USA.    

I thought the linked article did pretty well describing NATO funding and obligations while debunking Trump's statements.  NATO countries have upped their funding by a lot over the last decade,

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/13/politics/fact-check-trump-nato/index.html

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I thought the linked article did pretty well describing NATO funding and obligations while debunking Trump's statements.  NATO countries have upped their funding by a lot over the last decade,

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/13/politics/fact-check-trump-nato/index.html

Only 11 of 30 are at 2% roughly a third, I think that is being very generous as well. Countries are dragging their feet and building up to 2% is bogus. Each NATO country should include in their annual budgets 2% of their projected GDP towards military spending. Its essentially an insurance plan for NATO countries ensuring peace, its similar to under insuring your home and hoping for the best.

• Vintage 1

Just day dreaming...........I am just about the end of my rope with US politics..........

Just a thought on how Biden handles Trump

It seems to me, that Biden should answer Trump in a way that Trump does not like

Call him stupid, call him unethical, call him a Nazi, call him a Putin lover, call him a liar

Point out what other NATO countries think of him, show the money taken in by Trump enterprises via Government contracts

This is sort of the way Nancy used to handle him, and it drove him crazy

Because it is true

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

Just day dreaming...........I am just about the end of my rope with US politics..........

It seems to me, that Biden should answer Trump in a way that Trump does not like

Call him stupid, call him unethical, call him a Nazi, call him a Putin lover, call him a liar

Point out what other NATO countries think of him, show the money taken in by Trump enterprises via Government contracts

Because it is true

Maybe just get the Lincoln Project to do it for him. Trump is on Truth Social losing his shit over this ad. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Mayorkas becomes first cabinet secretary impeached since 1876

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/14/mayorkas-cabinet-secretary-impeached

So they fail the first time, and decided to beat the dead horse that isn't going anywhere. 

But can't bother to actually do anything about the border.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

So they fail the first time, and decided to beat the dead horse that isn't going anywhere. 

On the same day- crap on a guy for the border woes, while voting down a bill that was trying to fix the border woes.

Irony?

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

12 hours ago, Gurn said:

On the same day- crap on a guy for the border woes, while voting down a bill that was trying to fix the border woes.

Irony?

Unfortunately, impeachment has become a political statement rather than the tool to remove bad actors that it's meant to be.  Pandora's box was cracked open when it was used for a hummer by an intern, and it was subsequently flung open with the two Trump trials.

This will unfortunately be the norm going forward from now on.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Grammar
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Because it is true

Yup. Publicly embarrass the Orange Assclown. Then he will say even more stupid things in response. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Gurn said:

Irony?

Yeah it is ironic isn't it?  

Trumps number 1 priority was border control, Biden shit on Trump for his policies and immediately reversed many of them , then for 3 years Biden let the situation become the worst it's ever been and now wants Trump's help right before an election?  

The ironing is delicious 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Yeah it is ironic isn't it?  

Trumps number 1 priority was border control, Biden shit on Trump for his policies and immediately reversed many of them , then for 3 years Biden let the situation become the worst it's ever been and now wants Trump's help right before an election?  

The ironing is delicious 

How Joe Biden and Donald Trump's border policies compare

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65574725

Title 42 expiring is the big thing that got immigration going again.

Biden tried to end it early and failed.  So it expired as planned last year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/title-42-covid-ban-southern-border-may-end-may-11-rcna68502

When President Joe Biden said the national Covid emergency will end in May, he was also effectively declaring an end to a rule that has blocked 2.3 million border crossings.

• Cheers 1

I'm not going to quote the actual BS comment above by that guy who starts with a W

Wait till this guy hears about the Sunday School Church leaders and what they did.

Listen pal, the data says your anecdotal fear mongering BS is WRONG

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/undocumented-immigrants-are-half-as-likely-to-be-arrested-for-violent-crimes-as-u-s-born-citizens/

Undocumented Immigrants Are Half as Likely to Be Arrested for Violent Crimes as U.S.-Born Citizens

Some of the most solid evidence to date shows that President Trump’s cornerstone immigration policy was built on a wholly false premise

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Satchmo said:

Four horror stories.   What kinds of percentages could be gleaned from that?  Any Americans commit any crimes in the same time frame?

And the exact same thing could be said about the post above mine?  So why don't you stop following me around with your bias.  Call out the first poster

Just now, Wiggums said:

And the exact same thing could be said about the post above mine?  So why don't you stop following me around with your bias.  Call out the first poster

??? What poster, what post?

I'm not following you around.  It's just that our biases are incompatible.

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I'm not going to quote the actual BS comment above by that guy who starts with a W

Wait till this guy hears about the Sunday School Church leaders and what they did.

Listen pal, the data says your anecdotal fear mongering BS is WRONG

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/undocumented-immigrants-are-half-as-likely-to-be-arrested-for-violent-crimes-as-u-s-born-citizens/

Undocumented Immigrants Are Half as Likely to Be Arrested for Violent Crimes as U.S.-Born Citizens

Some of the most solid evidence to date shows that President Trump’s cornerstone immigration policy was built on a wholly false premise

Woaahh only half as likely?  My bad for painting illegal migration in such a bad light.  If they start committing the same amount of crime, then I'll be worried

Just now, Satchmo said:

??? What poster, what post?

I'm not following you around.  It's just that our biases are incompatible.

The one I replied to... One video of an illegal migrant being beaten... A victory for trumptards or something?  If you're not going to follow the context and stop being biased, don't reply to me.  

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Woaahh only half as likely?  My bad for painting illegal migration in such a bad light.  If they start committing the same amount of crime, then I'll be worried

Ya, the bad apples are the people already here.  Not the people trying to get themselves a new/better life.  If you listen to the bigots, it's nothing but criminals, drug dealers and rapists.  Only some are good people.  Oh wait, that's what TRUMP said.

When actually most are good people.

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

At least you admit that's what you are trying to do....

Baby steps....

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ya, the bad apples are the people already here.  Not the people trying to get themselves a new/better life.  If you listen to the bigots, it's nothing but criminals, drug dealers and rapists.  Oh wait, that's what TRUMP said.

Except that the Dotard fellator ignored that the person Curtis' group attacked was a US citizen & not an "illegal".  Not to mention, there weren't a 'shoplifter' (according to the police) but just a person who the Dotard group targeted because they were speaking Spanish.

• Cheers 4