US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Wiggums said:

The one I replied to... One video of an illegal migrant being beaten... A victory for trumptards or something?  If you're not going to follow the context and stop being biased, don't reply to me.  

I was not sure, so I asked. TBH I saw that post but was unsure how it would piss you off so much or what it had to do with your posts.

Was it the 'Dotard' reference?

BTW - please stop questioning my reading ability or intelligence. There seems to have been a lot of that.    It's my politics you hate.   Neither you or I are likely to ever stop being 'biased'.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Title 42 expiring is the big thing that got immigration going again.

Biden tried to end it early and failed.  So it expired as planned last year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/title-42-covid-ban-southern-border-may-end-may-11-rcna68502

When President Joe Biden said the national Covid emergency will end in May, he was also effectively declaring an end to a rule that has blocked 2.3 million border crossings.

Could Biden have extended Title 42? I was under the impression that the courts ended it. This WAPO article seems to suggest that is the case....:classic_unsure:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/11/15/border-ruling-title-42/

9 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

The one I replied to... One video of an illegal migrant being beaten... A victory for trumptards or something?  If you're not going to follow the context and stop being biased, don't reply to me.  

So by posting those videos, are you making the case that because there are isolated cases of illegals committing crimes in the US, that it's okay for vigilante groups to beat up American citizens and then falsely claim that they're immigrants committing crimes?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I was not sure, so I asked. TBH I saw that post but was unsure how it would piss you off so much or what it had to do with your posts.

Was it the 'Dotard' reference?

BTW - please stop questioning my reading ability or intelligence. There seems to have been a lot of that.    It's my politics you hate.   Neither you or I are likely to ever stop being 'biased'.

"Dotard" is a name that Kim Jong Un coined for Trump.....of course that was before he and Agent Orange exchanged "love letters"....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

So by posting those videos, are you making the case that because there are isolated cases of illegals committing crimes in the US, that it's okay for vigilante groups to beat up American citizens and then falsely claim that they're immigrants committing crimes?

If illegal Americans were coming into Canada and raping young children but they still only represented half the overall crime, would you say "well whatever they're still not as dangerous as the people already here"?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

If illegal Americans were coming into Canada and raping young children but they still only represented half the overall crime, would you say "well whatever they're still not as dangerous as the people already here"?

Half? :classic_huh: I'm guessing Math wasn't your best subject in school.....

...and I see you avoided the question: Were the actions of the vigilante group justified, because of the actions of 4 illegals?

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Could Biden have extended Title 42? I was under the impression that the courts ended it. This WAPO article seems to suggest that is the case....:classic_unsure:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/11/15/border-ruling-title-42/

Only Congress could extend it, not Biden.  The problem is, it was very successful at stopping the mass migration but Biden tried to end it early anyways.

The Democrats are starting to bleed off their base of Latinos and even black people and they are concerned.  They also lose a lot at the state and local level.  People here will likely want to argue the point, but it's in the Democrats best interest to allow these illegal immigrants into the country and make them citizens.  They'll have fresh new Latino voters who they hope will feel indebted to them for at least one or two generations and they are likely going to settle into the warm southern Republican states and dilute the Republican local vote so the Democrats can start to win governors seats and state legislatures.

Immigration is all about politics and power, just like everything else in Washington.

*edit*  Title 42 ended when the declared state of emergency ended.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Only Congress could extend it, not Biden.  The problem is, it was very successful at stopping the mass migration but Biden tried to end it early anyways.

The Democrats are starting to bleed off their base of Latinos and even black people and they are concerned.  They also lose a lot at the state and local level.  People here will likely want to argue the point, but it's in the Democrats best interest to allow these illegal immigrants into the country and make them citizens.  They'll have fresh new Latino voters who they hope will feel indebted to them for at least one or two generations and they are likely going to settle into the warm southern Republican states and dilute the Republican local vote so the Democrats can start to win governors seats and state legislatures.

Immigration is all about politics and power, just like everything else in Washington.

*edit*  Title 42 ended when the declared state of emergency ended.

So, you think there's something to Tucker's "Great Replacement Theory"? Interesting....

Some less cynical folks might opine that immigrants are not the boogeymen (and women and children) that the Right has made them out to be and rather, are a vital component of the US economy.....

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

So, you think there's something to Tucker's "Great Replacement Theory"? Interesting....

Some less cynical folks might opine that immigrants are not the boogeymen (and women and children) that the Right has made them out to be and rather, are a vital component of the US economy.....

Tucker wasn't the first to see what was happening.  Quickness is not one of his virtues.  He just has one of the loudest voices talking about it.

If you remember, I have stated that I'm not against migration.  I'm against the indiscriminate mass migration that we have now.

I don't care which party has the upper hand as long as neither gets a 2/3 majority at the state or national level.

Once again, if it were up to me, we'd build a few very basic communities at the border on the Mexican side and let people live in them and slowly accept them into the United States as they are processed.  If you are denied, you get deported back to your home country.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Tucker wasn't the first to see what was happening.  Quickness is not one of his virtues.  He just has one of the loudest voices talking about it.

If you remember, I have stated that I'm not against migration.  I'm against the indiscriminate mass migration that we have now.

I don't care which party has the upper hand as long as neither gets a 2/3 majority at the state or national level.

Once again, if it were up to me, we'd build a few very basic communities at the border on the Mexican side and let people live in them and slowly accept them into the United States as they are processed.  If you are denied, you get deported back to your home country.

It's not an unreasonable position to want controlled immigration.

Just not sure how you really do that with a country like the US or Canada for that matter, without appearing unfair to one side or another. 

Your idea of towns on the border is interesting but only works for people willing to play fair. Maybe giving accelerated access to people living there could help. 

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That doesn't really answer the question, though.

Do you actually believe that the Dems are trying to increase their voter base through illegal immigration?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Just not sure how you really do that with a country like the US or Canada for that matter, without appearing unfair to one side or another.

People are less concerned about fair than they are about just letting everyone and anyone into the country.

Your idea of towns on the border is interesting but only works for people willing to play fair. Maybe giving accelerated access to people living there could help. 

We entirely close off the border like we did with Title 42.  By virtue of being in the immigration communities, you'll have quicker access to work permits, green cards etc.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

People are less concerned about fair than they are about just letting everyone and anyone into the country.

We entirely close off the border like we did with Title 42.  By virtue of being in the immigration communities, you'll have quicker access to work permits, green cards etc.

How do you handle people staying past their visa dates?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That doesn't really answer the question, though.

Do you actually believe that the Dems are trying to increase their voter base through illegal immigration?

I wouldn't have said it in my first post if I didn't believe it.

Our politicians, either side, would set Vancouver, Toronto, and Ottawa ablaze tomorrow if it meant that it would give them unfettered power over the United States.

The magic formula is 2/3 majority.  If you get a 2/3 majority in both state and federal, the "game" is over.  You can reshape the entire US to your liking and there isn't anything anyone could do about it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Our politicians, either side, would set Vancouver, Toronto, and Ottawa ablaze tomorrow if it meant that it would give them unfettered power over the United States.

The magic formula is 2/3 majority.  If you get a 2/3 majority in both state and federal, the "game" is over.  You can reshape the entire US to your liking and there isn't anything anyone could do about it.

I don't believe the Democrats are engineering it, but I can see them not working hard to prevent something they think helps them.

Not sure you can count on all immigrants voting dem tho, that could backfire.

Thanks for confirming, although I don't agree with your position. A general rule of thumb for me is if I find myself promoting the same ideas as Tucker Carlson, I re-evaluate said position.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How do you handle people staying past their visa dates?

The same thing as every other country, you deport the violators.  The most egregious violation of people staying past their visa dates are border crossers that are released back into the US with a court date.  You don't show up for your court date, you are in breach of your visa.  That's why the statistics tipped from illegal border crossings years ago to people overstaying their visas.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I don't believe the Democrats are engineering it, but I can see them not working hard to prevent something they think helps them.

Not sure you can count on all immigrants voting dem tho, that could backfire.

Not as a whole, but I believe that the leadership has a plan.  The rank and file of both Republicans and Democrats often don't even see the bills that they are voting on.  They just mostly go with what their party leadership tells them to do.   That's why it's such big news when they rebel against leadership wishes.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If so, it really is current pain for future gain.   Are the Dems happy to lose the next election in hopes that the children and grandchildren of illegal immigrants will vote for them?  Or do they think their actions will sway the Hispanic/Latino American vote?  As you can tell, I don't really understand why you feel as you do.

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Thanks for confirming, although I don't agree with your position. A general rule of thumb for me is if I find myself promoting the same ideas as Tucker Carlson, I re-evaluate said position.

As I said, Tucker Carlson wasn't the guy who first advanced the idea.  He isn't that quick.  That's why he got laughed at by plenty of people when Putin got annoyed with him and slapped him with the CIA quip.

History shows that people will do just about anything for unfettered power.   George Washington flat out gave the country the warning about it in his farewell address almost 250 years ago.

However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

If so, it really is current pain for future gain.   Are the Dems happy to lose the next election in hopes that the children and grandchildren of illegal immigrants will vote for them?  Or do they think their actions will sway the Hispanic/Latino American vote?  As you can tell, I don't really understand why you feel as you do.

Don't listen to me, listen to George Washington.  The problem is that some people here consider Democrats "The good guys" and don't think that they are just as ruthless as the Republicans when it comes to wanting power.

However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.