US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It drives me nuts that people of today think that they are so superior and so much more intelligent than people who once founded a nation. 

I would definitely consider most people here superior than a bunch of white men who saw no issue with slavery.  A lot of the founding fathers were complete bigots and the evil they did shouldn't be ignored.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I would definitely consider most people here superior than a bunch of white men who saw no issue with slavery.  A lot of the founding fathers were complete bigots and the evil they did shouldn't be ignored.

I know you do.  I still remember your last post about it. 😂

38 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The only thing that you or I have over them intellectually is that we can use technology.  Pluck them out of their time and drop them in my home and I'll have them using computers, cars, and iPhones before the end of the month.

Yes, but can you talk them out of owning slaves and allowing women to be legally recognized as persons and permitted to vote? Those founders?

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, but can you talk them out of owning slaves and allowing women to be legally recognized as persons and permitteded to vote? Those founders?

Were the Romans evil too? 

Or were they a product of their time?  They owned slaves of all colors and nationalities.  In fact, most of them were white people from the countries that they conquered.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Grammar
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not sure where this is coming from. I certainly haven't said anything about Washington being wrong....I just don't believe that quote supports your theory on Democrats immigration strategy....

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My apologies then.  I misunderstood the reason behind what you were saying.

Yikes! About time 🙂

I gave up a while ago and kudos to Rup for keeping at it.    I notice it was two overly analytical software dudes who couldn't understand where you were coming from and were pressing for details.  All due respect Sabrefan1 - it just did not compute and failed the Boolean test.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

it just did not compute and failed the Boolean test.

Boolean Algebra.  The one class that nobody at University takes unless they have to.  I'm not a binary thinker (too much always rattling around my noggin all at once) so that class would have been a drop shortly after I started it.  Funny thing is I took programming classes in high school, but I don't even remember one simple "hello world" program anymore.

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I love Monty Python.  Apparently it wasn't very popular in the UK in the beginning and only gained notoriety in the US at first. 

You'd think it would have been right up their alley especially since it's one of their entertainment exports.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Or were they a product of their time?  They owned slaves of all colors and nationalities.  In fact, most of them were white people from the countries that they conquered.

Slavery has been around forever.
List of nations that engaged in slavery is much longer than the list of those that didn’t.

Unfortunately it has become too politicized to be discussed objectively in its proper historical context.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Slavery has been around forever.
List of nations that engaged in slavery is much longer than the list of those that didn’t.

Unfortunately it has become too politicized to be discussed objectively in its proper historical context.

Absolutely agree.  Yet it's used like a gotcha hammer by people who believe that current day humans are saintlier and superior to most people of the past. 

Whereas I think someone like Cicero does not have many intellectual equals, and even fewer superior, in current day or past human history.  Yet he was part of the greatest empire in human history 2000 years ago.

Then there's the birthplace of Democracy, Ancient Greece.  Slavery was widely accepted there also.  Yet people like Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, and Pythagoras would be considered inferior people by some on this message board.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Can you buy us all Statista accounts so we can see that stuff?

I copy and pasted the pertinent part.  You'll have to pay to check up on me.

Actually i don't get it. I went in the site just by googling "how many illegal migrants are men" , that site came up and I had access to all the data,  broken down by each border crossing, very extensively. For some reason the link goes to a paywall.

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm not familiar with that particular policy.....how did Biden get it through the House?

Something about "building back better" with trillions for infrastructure spending iirc, (who could argue?). Also something about "inflation reduction act", again, who could argue? Maybe @Sabrefan1 can point to some of the marvellous infrastructure and inflation taming accomplishments, but I sure cant. Well except for draining the SPR, that WAS smart.

3 minutes ago, Malibu said:

Something about "building back better" with trillions for infrastructure spending iirc, (who could argue?). Also something about "inflation reduction act", again, who could argue? Maybe @Sabrefan1 can point to some of the marvellous infrastructure and inflation taming accomplishments, but I sure cant. Well except for draining the SPR, that WAS smart.

Infrastructure spending is a good thing....and the US economy has been outperforming the rest of the first world for a while now....

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Infrastructure spending is a good thing....and the US economy has been outperforming the rest of the first world for a while now....

Sure are a lot of Republicans taking credit for infrastructure projects in their districts despite having voted against the bill.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Reshoring the industry from China is a boon to the economy, I believe Biden inherited that. As usual, things are great for wealthy Dem fatcats like Bill Maher, but it's normal Joes like Jillian Michaels (lol) who are feeling the pinch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/buy-some-eggs-fitness-guru-jillian-michaels-tears-into-bill-maher-for-downplaying-inflation/ar-BB1id3Hs

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

How many indentured people came from Europe to work off their families debts in the Colonies? Millions? Their lives were equal to slavery in many ways. Slavery among native Americans was well established before the Europeans came.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Malibu said:

Reshoring the industry from China is a boon to the economy, I believe Biden inherited that. As usual, things are great for wealthy Dem fatcats like Bill Maher, but it's normal Joes like Jillian Michaels (lol) who are feeling the pinch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/buy-some-eggs-fitness-guru-jillian-michaels-tears-into-bill-maher-for-downplaying-inflation/ar-BB1id3Hs

I don't think you understand how Supply Side economics works....Infrastructure spending puts money in people's pockets by adding jobs. This adds money to the tax base, which helps fund social programs that benefit the low income folks.

The "Fat Cats" (Bill Maher? :classic_blink:) benefit when Republicans take over and lower taxes.....they also add to the National Debt....yugely....

https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairman/newsroom/press/extending-trump-tax-cuts-would-add-35-trillion-to-the-deficit-according-to-cbo

13 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

There was no "us" back then Alf.  Canada wasn't created until decades later. 

Before then, what is now Canada was split up between interests with Britain being the most powerful interest.

Well, in my family there was an "Us" back then, and from the day Canada was created out of OUR constituent parts there has been one of 'us' in my family in the service of the nation, every single day, most years with multiple 'us'. "We' also served before Canada was named Canada, and so for us, there was an us before you figure there was an Us. I am gonna guess every time the right wing party changes its name with all the same people involved, you believe it is a brand new party eh?

fwiw; i am just having fun here, not taking the mickey out of ya.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Malibu said:

I've mostly ignored that spending bill.  Like every bill that Congress passes, it filled with pork barrel spending.  To be fair to Biden though, the Trillion dollar infrastructure bill idea originated during the Trump administration.  Biden just tagged on a claim that it will reduce inflation.  I have no idea how, and nobody will know for sure until the non-partisan GAO does a full postmortem accounting of the spending and inflation details.

I'm willing to bet that New York redirected some of that federal money to their general fund because our infrastructure is the same as it's always been; don't fix it until it's about to break.   I do remember that some of the Biden years clean energy initiatives and investments haven't been panning out as hoped so that's disappointing.  I'd like to see a competent clean energy plan.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

How many indentured people came from Europe to work off their families debts in the Colonies? Millions? Their lives were equal to slavery in many ways. Slavery among native Americans was well established before the Europeans came.  

Slavery is a part of our history and according to the UN, our current day as well.  Like you said, indentured servitude is slavery wrapped up in a different title.

57 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Well, in my family there was an "Us" back then, and from the day Canada was created out of OUR constituent parts there has been one of 'us' in my family in the service of the nation, every single day, most years with multiple 'us'. "We' also served before Canada was named Canada, and so for us, there was an us before you figure there was an Us. I am gonna guess every time the right wing party changes its name with all the same people involved, you believe it is a brand new party eh?

fwiw; i am just having fun here, not taking the mickey out of ya.

I know.  I'm glad that you take pride in the accomplishments of your distinguished military family.  I've always thought highly of families like yours that can trace their service to their nation back through multiple generations.  Families like that are the bedrock on which nations are built and continue to survive.

I used to watch TV signals coming out of Toronto.  You guys were so proud when you gained your full constitutional independence in 1982.

I'll also never forget going to the dance clubs on Lundys Lane from ages 19-23 and occasionally tweaking some Canadians for fun and saying, "Ah, Canada, the 51st state".  It probably wouldn't work to rile up anyone these days, but it definitely worked back then.  😄

49 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He was cool in Bill & Ted!

Yeah he was.  Every time I think of Socrates, the actor who played him here pops in my brain even before the well known sculpture of him does.  I'm not ashamed of it either!  🤣

Thank God that I know of no one in my every day life that would talk about him because I have no doubt that at some point in the conversation I'd say his name the way those 2 did.  'So-crates' 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've mostly ignored that spending bill.  Like every bill that Congress passes, it filled with pork barrel spending.  To be fair to Biden though, the Trillion dollar infrastructure bill idea originated during the Trump administration.  Biden just tagged on a claim that it will reduce inflation.  I have no idea how, and nobody will know for sure until the non-partisan GAO does a full postmortem accounting of the spending and inflation details.

I'm willing to bet that New York redirected some of that federal money to their general fund because our infrastructure is the same as it's always been; don't fix it until it's about to break.   I do remember that some of the Biden years clean energy initiatives and investments haven't been panning out as hoped so that's disappointing.  I'd like to see a competent clean energy plan.

There is an interactive map at this site where you can view any of the approved projects that are happening in your state.  There are some 46,000 nationwide currently. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/invest/?utm_source=invest.gov

I was trying to find what Biden’s reasoning was for saying that the bill would reduce inflationary pressures and see that there was a letter signed by 15 Nobel Prize economists claiming that to be correct. I’m not arguing that it is, just that there is some support for the claim.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21063166-nobel-prize-letter-in-support-of-biden-economic-program

IMG_1036.jpeg

• Cheers 1