US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Whatever one can say about his morals, you can't say he's not an elite salesman (grifter).  He'd be good at selling air conditioners in Alaska.

edit:  And like alot of those Dotard buildings (doesn't actually own them), he's not actually the one selling this garbage.  He's just licensing his 'brand name' out.

He lost a lot of those licenses after he got into politics.  People were dropping his name off of their buildings en masse. 

His daughter, the future Mrs. Trudeau, also lost some business, as well as having most of her New York friends turn their backs on her.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He lost a lot of those licenses after he got into politics.  People were dropping his name off of their buildings en masse. 

His daughter, the future Mrs. Trudeau, also lost some business, as well as having most of her New York friends turn their backs on her.

Yep happened in downtown Vancouver. The Trump hotel and condos rebranded to "Paradox" 😂

• chaos 1

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

as well as having most of her New York friends turn their backs on her.

Then she is better off without them.  Put those folks in the 'acquaintances'  file, and find actual friends.

They were just there for the free bling and food anyways.

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Vancouver Trump branded hotel crashed hard. It was over priced and under staffed and that name was toxic in that marketplace. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

John Bolton Tells Jen Psaki There Will Be ‘Celebrations in the Kremlin’ If Trump is Reelected: Putin Thinks Trump is an ‘Easy Mark’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/john-bolton-tells-jen-psaki-there-will-be-celebrations-in-the-kremlin-if-trump-is-reelected-putin-thinks-trump-is-an-easy-mark/

Putin is already working on that....

He came out recently and said that he thinks a Biden victory would be better for Russia. Of course the MAGA crowd will eat this up. (as will the MAGA media) The question is, do any moderates, or Independents buy it, considering the fact that Biden is the one pushing for more military aid to Ukraine?

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep happened in downtown Vancouver. The Trump hotel and condos rebranded to "Paradox" 😂

I know a fair bit of details as a friend was part of the bidding process after they turfed the Trump name. They were making like 20% of their target goals charging 2-3x over what Wall Center and Four Seasons were at the time for comparative suites. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Then she is better off without them.  Put those folks in the 'acquaintances'  file, and find actual friends.

They were just there for the free bling and food anyways.

Of course they were.  You congregate with shallow people, you get bit in the butt by them when the wind shifts. 

NYC is a lot like I remember the Toronto partying and clubbing scene in the 90's.  Plenty of shallow people walking around like they're "gifting" you their presence.  I liked Toronto as a whole back then, and it's sad that it has gone downhill a bit, but it had it's share of folks who thought that they were great simply because they were living in Toronto.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Of course they were.  You congregate with shallow people, you get bit in the butt by them when the wind shifts. 

NYC is a lot like I remember the Toronto partying and clubbing scene in the 90's.  Plenty of shallow people walking around like they're "gifting" you their presence.  I liked Toronto as a whole back then, and it's sad that it has gone downhill a bit, but it had it's share of folks who thought that they were great simply because they were living in Toronto.

I wish to thank you guys for burning down York (Toronto) back in 1813.🥸

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

The Vancouver Trump branded hotel crashed hard. It was over priced and under staffed and that name was toxic in that marketplace. 

Did Trump own any equity in that hotel or did he just license his brand?  Was his brand in Vancouver bad even before he got into politics?

If he just licensed his brand, there isn't much he could do about how it was run, although he should have vetted the people he was collecting from. 

If he had a stake in the hotel then he could have directly intervened.

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Did Trump own any equity in that hotel or did he just license his brand?  Was his brand in Vancouver bad even before he got into politics?

If he just licensed his brand, there isn't much he could do about how it was run, although he should have vetted the people he was collecting from. 

If he had a stake in the hotel then he could have directly intervened.

It was just branded under his name but with directives as to how to operate it. In hotels the management company decides how it is run to a large degree. They had branding and management if I recall right. It opened in 2017 under his name so it was already toxic. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Gnarcore said:

It was just branded under his name but with directives as to how to operate it. In hotels the management company decides how it is run to a large degree. He had branding and management if I recall right. It opened in 2017 under his name so it was already toxic. 

That was stupid for whoever floated the cash for the place.  He was in the White House by then.  His brand was already tarnished to half of the US and except for Alberta, likely even worse in Canada.

He was preoccupied with his own hotel in DC in those days.

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

It was just branded under his name but with directives as to how to operate it. In hotels the management company decides how it is run to a large degree. They had branding and management if I recall right. It opened in 2017 under his name so it was already toxic. 

I worked with a dude that was hired to run the nightclub. He was stoked but Trumps name was already getting too much heat. Lots of us were saying it wouldn't make it, that he should turn down the gig. He should have listened. 

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That was stupid for whoever floated the cash for the place.  He was in the White House by then.  His brand was already tarnished to half of the US and except for Alberta, likely even worse in Canada.

He was preoccupied with his own hotel in DC in those days.

It was probably decided before he came into office. The units in there are private owned, again if I recall right, so it would be a strata corporation that votes on branding/management company. I know the Four Seasons passed on it for some reason and had been actively looking for another property to manage in the area. 

• Cheers 1

Apparently "Truckers for Trump" are planning on boycotting deliveries to NYC...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/maga-truckers-plan-boycott-york-131512159.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIxKhMs0iN7lECjwk893KOj2M5YciOjrRlr_WZ3t1pAyqtduLsNIjGhNZTkoXaa0s7dsiBMmBPzWkj094PR736qU4dDu6YjX8verhxNgfBNxFjmENrIeqAgySYACduFGnAOoICus1F9z3hQmtvotYpd0qVwAtq0fpmF7L7sf5KEw

According to Fox News, Chicago Ray previously called on fellow truckers to boycott taking shipments to New York City after the ruling was announced last Friday.

"I've been on the radio talking to drivers for about the past hour, and I've talked to about 10 drivers," Ray wrote on X. "I don't know how far across the country this is or how many truckers are going to start denying loads going to New York City, but I'll tell you what — you f--- around and find out."

For some context here, as far as I can tell, this story started off as a DailyMail piece, which is probably less reliable than Faux News. Several other outlets are reporting on it, but they all seem to be citing the DailyMail article as their source.

It could be that they've just latched on to this tweet and run with it, trying to make it into a "movement", when it's really just an isolated thing....

One thing I will say however, is the FAFO line quoted by this trucker works both ways....I've never read the Teamsters collective agreement, but I'd be surprised if refusing to deliver a load isn't grounds for dismissal....and If I were his employer, that would be my immediate response.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/maga-truckers-plan-boycott-york-131512159.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIxKhMs0iN7lECjwk893KOj2M5YciOjrRlr_WZ3t1pAyqtduLsNIjGhNZTkoXaa0s7dsiBMmBPzWkj094PR736qU4dDu6YjX8verhxNgfBNxFjmENrIeqAgySYACduFGnAOoICus1F9z3hQmtvotYpd0qVwAtq0fpmF7L7sf5KEw

For some context here, as far as I can tell, this story started off as a DailyMail piece, which is probably less reliable than Faux News. Several other outlets are reporting on it, but they all seem to be citing the DailyMail article as their source.

It could be that they've just latched on to this tweet and run with it, trying to make it into a "movement", when it's really just an isolated thing....

One thing I will say however, is the FAFO line quoted by this trucker works both ways....I've never read the Teamsters collective agreement, but I'd be surprised if refusing to deliver a load isn't grounds for dismissal....and If I were his employer, that would be my immediate response.....

Well the education bar isn't high in that trade...

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I mean...he's 'talked to about 10 drivers'...

That's a damn army.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I mean...he's 'talked to about 10 drivers'...

That's a damn army.

I can't remember the MAGA Math ratio.....Petey told us that 700,000 trucks were going to the Mexico border earlier this month and about 350 tucks actually took part, IIRC. So that's 2000 fictional trucks to every real truck....

If that's true, then Chicago1Ray will be joined by about "20,000" compatriots.....

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 2

Interesting quotes regarding the large number of Republicans who will not seek re-election:

“They’ve signed up to do serious things. And we’re not doing serious things."

“When you’re divided in your own conference, the joy of the job is harder.” “When you have folks on your own team with their knives out, it makes it less enjoyable.”

“I thought that some of our members would be smarter.”

“A lot of us are frustrated with what’s going on, and that’s just being flat-out honest.”  “It’s foolish. And it’s been proven to be foolish. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.”

“You give up your family, sacrifice being without your family all the time, in exchange for thinking we’re really going to accomplish something and get something done.” “And when that doesn’t happen, you start thinking, ‘Well, is it worth it?’”

“Some of them say, ‘I don’t want to have to endorse him (Trump), I don’t want to have to serve under him.”   “That’s something else that is weighing in a lot of the private conversations I’m having.”

High-profile Republicans head for the exits amid House GOP dysfunction

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/19/politics/republicans-retiring-house/index.html

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

How long does it take to sell 1000 pairs to 70 million disciples?

A bit of perspective on this:

Trump sold (or the LLC that claims not to be affiliated with the Trump campaign did) 1000 pairs at $400 bucks a pop. Let's assume that is pure profit. (which of course, it isn't) To pay off the NY judgement, Trump only needs another 886 or so similar money making schemes.....

Also, there are already pairs listed on eBay for 10 times what Trump listed them for. That means some entrepreneur is making $3500 more than Bone Spurs, without having to worry about manufacturing, distribution, or advertising.....

Sounds to me like the so-called "business genius" could learn a few things about grifting from some online randos....

• Haha 3