US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Some on this board were the same up until recently.  Now the age related deficiencies are just too obvious to ignore or explain away.  Most people here now seem to wish there was another, preferably younger, choice.

I think what Stewart did was quite smart. Stop pretending that Biden is something he isn't, it just makes his supporters look as fake as Trumps.

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

As for how politics are in the Western world now, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you aren't in lockstep with everyone else, you are an "other" or a "them".  You are to be shouted down and ridiculed into silence or obedience.  That is the state of modern western democracies these days.

Yea it is like that in the media at least. Putin is milking it for all it's worth.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Yea it is like that in the media at least. Putin is milking it for all it's worth.

Not just the media.  This is what's driving the calls for a "national divorce" in the US.  Funny thing is, one of the things that's making that a highly unlikely outcome is the ginormous national debt.  There's no way either new country would assume that debt load alone and they wouldn't ever agree as to who owes how much in a split of debt.

That's why there's a renewed push for state's rights over federal.  Problem for those states is the "Supremacy Clause" in the Constitution.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Some on this board were the same up until recently.  Now the age related deficiencies are just too obvious to ignore or explain away.  Most people here now seem to wish there was another, preferably younger, choice.

As for how politics are in the Western world now, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you aren't in lockstep with everyone else, you are an "other" or a "them".  You are to be shouted down and ridiculed into silence or obedience.  That is the state of modern western democracies these days.

Pretty much everyone does....

....but since there isn't one, the choice between the two who will actually be on the ballot is easy....at least it is for most of us....

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Pretty much everyone does....

....but since there isn't one, the choice between the two who will actually be on the ballot is easy....at least it is for most of us....

I'm voting for the Green Party for the 4th time in a row.  Jill Stein is running again this cycle, but if you want a chuckle, look up the guy who was on the ticket last cycle. 

I darn near voted Libertarian last presidential election out of annoyance.  Then I remembered that Libertarians are nearly as annoying and I don't want the Green Party to lose their spot on the ballot.  Every vote, every 4 year cycle, counts to keep them on.

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Not just the media.  This is what's driving the calls for a "national divorce" in the US.  Funny thing is, one of the things that's making that a highly unlikely outcome is the ginormous national debt.  There's no way either new country would assume that debt load alone and they wouldn't ever agree as to who owes how much in a split of debt.

That's why there's a renewed push for state's rights over federal.  Problem for those states is the "Supremacy Clause" in the Constitution.

It's just keeping the fight going is all that matters. Doesn't matter what ridiculous thing it's centred around.

• chaos 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's just keeping the fight going is all that matters. Doesn't matter what ridiculous thing it's centred around.

Normally I'd agree, but Utah recently passed a "Sovereignty Act" which is unconstitutional on it's face.  I'm kinda curious on how far and how hard they will push once it is ruled unconstitutional in federal court.  I'd like to think that they'll back down.

Guess which country and which province they based their new act on. 😂

• Haha 1

so much for the separation of Church and State:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/alabama-supreme-court-rules-frozen-embryos-are-children-as-chief-justice-quotes-bible-in-ruling-writing-life-cannot-be-wrongfully-destroyed-without-incurring-the-wrath-of-a-holy-god/ar-BB1izZBf?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=b6f21697ddcc4d559c2729e146ad8757&ei=37

"

Alabama's Supreme Court has ruled that frozen embryos are children and will therefore be given the same protections under state law. 

Six judges in the state's highest court ruled in favor of the landmark decision, including Chief Justice Tom Parker who quoted the Bible and said it would protect 'the sanctity of unborn life'.  

The decision came in a lawsuit brought by a group of IVF patients whose frozen embryos were destroyed in December 2020 when a patient removed them from a cryogenic storage unit and dropped them on the ground. 

'Human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself,' Chief Justice Parker wrote. 

'Even before birth, all human beings bear the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory.' 

------------------------

M

A

L

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

so much for the separation of Church and State:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/alabama-supreme-court-rules-frozen-embryos-are-children-as-chief-justice-quotes-bible-in-ruling-writing-life-cannot-be-wrongfully-destroyed-without-incurring-the-wrath-of-a-holy-god/ar-BB1izZBf?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=b6f21697ddcc4d559c2729e146ad8757&ei=37

"

Alabama's Supreme Court has ruled that frozen embryos are children and will therefore be given the same protections under state law. 

Six judges in the state's highest court ruled in favor of the landmark decision, including Chief Justice Tom Parker who quoted the Bible and said it would protect 'the sanctity of unborn life'.  

The decision came in a lawsuit brought by a group of IVF patients whose frozen embryos were destroyed in December 2020 when a patient removed them from a cryogenic storage unit and dropped them on the ground. 

'Human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself,' Chief Justice Parker wrote. 

'Even before birth, all human beings bear the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory.' 

------------------------

M

A

L

The death cult in full display. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Normally I'd agree, but Utah recently passed a "Sovereignty Act" which is unconstitutional on it's face.  I'm kinda curious on how far and how hard they will push once it is ruled unconstitutional in federal court.  I'd like to think that they'll back down.

Guess which country and which province they based their new act on. 😂

My favorite province

:hurhur:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘Leave now’: White House warns Americans in Russia as Biden prepares Navalny sanctions

https://www.rawstory.com/leave-now-white-house-warns-americans-in-russia-as-biden-prepares-navalny-sanctions/

Maybe they can put up some posters in the grocery stores, so Tucker will get the message.....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump Spox Crudely Claims Nikki Haley Will ‘Drop Down And Kiss A** When She Quits’ GOP Primary

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/trump-spox-crudely-claims-nikki-haley-will-drop-down-and-kiss-a-when-she-quits-gop-primary/

Maybe Steve can give her some lessons, since he's been kissing that fat ass for years now.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The SEC has approved the merger already.  That is game, set, match.  Now that the SEC has put their stamp of approval on it, it goes to shareholders to vote on. 

You do understand that means that the US government has now cleared them of any and all investigations including anything WaPo has written about. 

Everyone involved in this deal may be a crook, but that isn't stopping the merger from going through.

Yes, I think due diligence was at play.  Nobody is going to hand anyone else billions of dollars in assets without a plan for a return on their investment. 

Personally, I think that the stock is going to drop like a rock and Trump should sell his stake in that business as quickly as he legally can, but that's another matter entirely.

Clearing does not mean the merger's happened yet. Obviously it could, but this is one of those situations where I'll believe it when I see it. It's crazy times at the moment and a lot can happen beforehand still. A lot could happen if the merger does indeed take place as you've eluded to even.

The real question I have actually with all of this: there's only certain sources even mentioning all of this. The simple question I have is: why? Is it left media ignoring it or is there not enough there to be worried about yet? I can't see it being a straight and easy answer either.

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm voting for the Green Party for the 4th time in a row.  Jill Stein is running again this cycle, but if you want a chuckle, look up the guy who was on the ticket last cycle. 

I darn near voted Libertarian last presidential election out of annoyance.  Then I remembered that Libertarians are nearly as annoying and I don't want the Green Party to lose their spot on the ballot.  Every vote, every 4 year cycle, counts to keep them on.

It would be really nice to see the states with more than just 2 parties with enough power to sway votes. An actual left party and not just right wing Democrats (that only sometimes appease the centrist crowd) and right wing Republicans would be nice.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Clearing does not mean the merger's happened yet. Obviously it could, but this is one of those situations where I'll believe it when I see it. It's crazy times at the moment and a lot can happen beforehand still. A lot could happen if the merger does indeed take place as you've eluded to even.

Oh for sure when Trump is involved, crap can splatter at any moment with zero notice.  Also, the exchange is in NY so the NYS AG may be attempting to undermine it as we speak.  However, I'm guessing this merger will go through since all that's left is a vote and it's a done deal.

The real question I have actually with all of this: there's only certain sources even mentioning all of this. The simple question I have is: why? Is it left media ignoring it or is there not enough there to be worried about yet? I can't see it being a straight and easy answer either.

Positive Trump news doesn't fit the media narrative.  I'm not a Trump fan as people know, but I call a spade a spade when I see it.  I just don't ignore it like it's not there.

--------------------------------------

Just in case some of you reading this have forgotten, here's the old YouTube video showing that news media narratives is an actual thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It would be really nice to see the states with more than just 2 parties with enough power to sway votes. An actual left party and not just right wing Democrats (that only sometimes appease the centrist crowd) and right wing Republicans would be nice.

Sadly, that's not the direction we're headed in.  The right went as far right as it could go and then the left did the same afterwards. 

Now moderates are retiring from Congress because they are fed up with it all. 

I';m hoping that some day the US gets a viable 3rd and maybe even 4th party, but I've come to terms that I will not be alive to see it happen.

• Sad 1
  • Desmenko 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Oh for sure when Trump is involved, crap can splatter at any moment with zero notice.  Also, the exchange is in NY so the NYS AG may be attempting to undermine it as we speak.  However, I'm guessing this merger will go through since all that's left is a vote and it's a done deal.

Positive Trump news doesn't fit the media narrative.  I'm not a Trump fan as people know, but I call a spade a spade when I see it.  I just don't ignore it like it's not there.

--------------------------------------

Just in case some of you reading this have forgotten, here's the old YouTube video showing that news media narratives is an actual thing.

I don't just watch the media with this stuff either and that's the thing. I try and look at sources that are fairly level-headed, often sources that accuse mainstream media when they mess up. Ones that will often mention Trump wins if they do happen even if they do hate Trump. And that's the thing: I've heard silence on these sources as well.  But maybe it's only a matter of time for those sources to start stating something towards it.

• chaos 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I don't just watch the media with this stuff either and that's the thing. I try and look at sources that are fairly level-headed, often sources that accuse mainstream media when they mess up. Ones that will often mention Trump wins if they do happen even if they do hate Trump. And that's the thing: I've heard silence on these sources as well.  But maybe it's only a matter of time for those sources to start stating something towards it.

If the NY AG tries to get involved, it will be all over the news because Trump being attacked by other politicians fits the narrative.  If the merger does go through, I'm sure there will be quick press releases by the major news sources before they start attacking the new company.  Not sure what they'll say in those attempts though since nobody except MAGA takes Truth Social seriously.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Sadly, that's not the direction we're headed in.  The right went as far right as it could go and then the left did the same afterwards. 

Now moderates are retiring from Congress because they are fed up with it all. 

I';m hoping that some day the US gets a viable 3rd and maybe even 4th party, but I've come to terms that I will not be alive to see it happen.

If you go back.  Like way back.  Like ALL the way back to the 2015/20-16 run by Trump you'll see me repeating the exact same statements.

That Trump would be the end of the GOP.  He would highlight everything wrong in your government.  He would effectively remove the idea of a moderate from your party and that his excesses would bring the radicals to the forefront thus silencing any dissenting voice.  That after he took over control of the party the GOP brand would effectively diminish over time in the US as (unfortunately for many with bias) that the average US citizen is not stupid and will not fall for the idiocy or tolerate it for long.

Trump would be and is the grim reaper for the Republican party.  The idea of a 3rd party is now not something that is just talked about it is a real possibility because there is no viable option for the right, centre right.  If there was there is no way in hell the Trump party would break 50 million votes.

Trump has destroyed the republican brand on the US stage as well as the world stage.  People are not  blind or stupid.  The moment someone with enough $$ comes along, that 3rd party will happen.