US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you go back.  Like way back.  Like ALL the way back to the 2015/20-16 run by Trump you'll see me repeating the exact same statements.

That Trump would be the end of the GOP.  He would highlight everything wrong in your government.  He would effectively remove the idea of a moderate from your party and that his excesses would bring the radicals to the forefront thus silencing any dissenting voice.  That after he took over control of the party the GOP brand would effectively diminish over time in the US as (unfortunately for many with bias) that the average US citizen is not stupid and will not fall for the idiocy or tolerate it for long.

Trump would be and is the grim reaper for the Republican party.  The idea of a 3rd party is now not something that is just talked about it is a real possibility because there is no viable option for the right, centre right.  If there was there is no way in hell the Trump party would break 50 million votes.

Trump has destroyed the republican brand on the US stage as well as the world stage.  People are not  blind or stupid.  The moment someone with enough $$ comes along, that 3rd party will happen.

If you go way back to then you'll see that I predicted that the Tea Party is what began the radicalization, MAGA just drove it even further after the right had one person to rally around.  Then the Democrats eventually sprinted even further to the left as a response.

Had it just been Trump, it would eventually die and go back to normal.  The Republicans don't, and never have, wanted Trump in office.  They want DeSantis in because he aligns more closely to the extreme right.  They're just accepting Trump because they have no other choice.

The shift towards the radical right started with the assholes of the Tea Party. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump allies prepare to infuse ‘Christian nationalism’ in second administration

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/20/donald-trump-allies-christian-nationalism-00142086

Yeah because that worked so well for George "Dubya" Bush. 

If Trump gets elected, he'll have no need to pander to them this time since he can't get a 3rd term.  He'll turn on them the second they don't do his bidding or if their boot licking no longer shines his footwear to his liking.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If you go way back to then you'll see that I predicted that the Tea Party is what began the radicalization, MAGA just drove it even further after the right had one person to rally around.  Then the Democrats eventually sprinted even further to the left as a response.

Had it just been Trump, it would eventually die and go back to normal.  The Republicans don't, and never have, wanted Trump in office.  They want DeSantis in because he aligns more closely to the extreme right.  They're just accepting Trump because they have no other choice.

The shift towards the radical right started with the assholes of the Tea Party. 

I was there.  We both mentioned that the tea party group and the "party of no" under Obama and there open admittance of refusing to do anything to work with him were going to be huge issues in the future.

people assume the future is a week away when the fact is it is usually years or decades.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

My conversation with @Warhippyjust reminded me of something. 

Does anybody else remember when Trump won in 2016 that there were people in the CDC US Politics thread congratulating each other like they were somehow responsible for getting him elected?  It's been too long for me to remember the names, but that was bizarre.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My conversation with @Warhippyjust reminded me of something. 

Does anybody else remember when Trump won in 2016 that there were people in the CDC US Politics thread congratulating each other like they were somehow responsible for getting him elected?  It's been too long for me to remember the names, but that was bizarre.

Yes, I absolutely remember that.

We all asked the same questions of them and that's where the Clams Harveys etc all turned up and turned very weird

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

I was there.  We both mentioned that the tea party group and the "party of no" under Obama and there open admittance of refusing to do anything to work with him were going to be huge issues in the future.

people assume the future is a week away when the fact is it is usually years or decades.

That's why I'm bothered by our academic idiocy in this country.  People all know the saying "history repeats itself" and yet they don't recognize when they are the ones doing the actual repeating. 

Radicalizing one way or the other has never, nor will ever, end well.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump continues bragging about Trucker protest in NYC — despite it not happening

https://www.rawstory.com/truck-protest/

Must be nice being able to post left wing articles from any site you want without backlash or questioning

Quoting tiktok accounts.  Groundbreaking journalism 

Edited by Wiggums
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Must be nice being able to post left wing articles from any site you want without backlash or questioning

Quoting tiktok accounts.  Groundbreaking journalism 

did it happen tho? was there a protest or not?

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That's why I'm bothered by our academic idiocy in this country.  People all know the saying "history repeats itself" and yet they don't recognize when they are the ones doing the actual repeating. 

Radicalizing one way or the other has never, nor will ever, end well.

May I interest you in a post I made in the World Politics Thread about an article in The Conversation?  :classic_biggrin:

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This post could literally go into any number of threads here in OT, but because of its global nature, I'm putting it here.

An article from The Conversation - one of the longest I've encountered from that site, and I found it to be an interesting and engaging read.  I can't post the whole article here, so please consider taking a moment to visit the URL below:
https://theconversation.com/historys-crisis-detectives-how-were-using-maths-and-data-to-reveal-why-societies-collapse-and-clues-about-the-future-218969

Excerpts:

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So is this like the "700,000" truck at the border thing then?

Not going to bother posting the article, but The National Review (which is a decidedly right wing publication) pointed out that the majority of goods that cross into NYC are delivered by single axle box trucks, usually owned and operated by independent contractors.... If some of them decide they like Donald Trump more than their paycheques, there will be dozens more than willing to pick up the slack...

The article went on to paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm, by saying that "Freight finds a way"....

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Just wait until the decide they want one for jerking off....

They'll have to upgrade from Access to SQL....

• Haha 2